Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default B&B pickle recipe review

OK, day 1 review - out freaking standing! After 24 hours the pickles are
incredibly tasty and crunchy yet very much a pickle already. The skins have
not quite tenderized completely but they are very edible. This started off
as a Alton Brown recipe which I got wrong but the result is very good
indeed. The flavor is divine, very rich and mellow and will only get better
every day. Definitely better than Vlasic even. These are totally worth
doing.

2 cups water
4 cups white vinegar (I used a whole 32 oz bottle)
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
3 tsp mustard seed
3 tsp ground turmeric
3 teaspoons celery seed
3 teaspoons pickling spice (had to go to 3 freaking stores to find it)
6-8 pounds sliced cucumbers
1 Maui sweet onion sliced thin

Slice the cucs and onions and layer into your jar tightly. Bring the syrup
to a boil, boil for 4 minutes to blend the flavors, then pour the hot liquid
over the cucumbers and onions. Let cool to RT then refrigerate. Brown said
4 days, 24 hours is enough.

I'm not worried about how long they'll keep because I'll eat them all in no
time.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook > wrote in message
> OK, day 1 review - out freaking standing! After 24 hours the pickles are
> incredibly tasty and crunchy yet very much a pickle already. The skins
> have not quite tenderized completely but they are very edible. This
> started off as a Alton Brown recipe which I got wrong but the result is
> very good indeed. The flavor is divine, very rich and mellow and will
> only get better every day. Definitely better than Vlasic even. These are
> totally worth doing.
>
> 2 cups water
> 4 cups white vinegar (I used a whole 32 oz bottle)
> 3 cups sugar
> 1 tablespoon kosher salt
> 3 tsp mustard seed
> 3 tsp ground turmeric
> 3 teaspoons celery seed
> 3 teaspoons pickling spice (had to go to 3 freaking stores to find it)
> 6-8 pounds sliced cucumbers
> 1 Maui sweet onion sliced thin
>
> Slice the cucs and onions and layer into your jar tightly. Bring the
> syrup to a boil, boil for 4 minutes to blend the flavors, then pour the
> hot liquid over the cucumbers and onions. Let cool to RT then
> refrigerate. Brown said 4 days, 24 hours is enough.
>
> I'm not worried about how long they'll keep because I'll eat them all in
> no time.

Got any pictures showing what the items looked like during some of the
steps?

Good review; thanks.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Paul M. Cook > wrote in message
>> OK, day 1 review - out freaking standing! After 24 hours the pickles are
>> incredibly tasty and crunchy yet very much a pickle already. The skins
>> have not quite tenderized completely but they are very edible. This
>> started off as a Alton Brown recipe which I got wrong but the result is
>> very good indeed. The flavor is divine, very rich and mellow and will
>> only get better every day. Definitely better than Vlasic even. These
>> are totally worth doing.
>>
>> 2 cups water
>> 4 cups white vinegar (I used a whole 32 oz bottle)
>> 3 cups sugar
>> 1 tablespoon kosher salt
>> 3 tsp mustard seed
>> 3 tsp ground turmeric
>> 3 teaspoons celery seed
>> 3 teaspoons pickling spice (had to go to 3 freaking stores to find it)
>> 6-8 pounds sliced cucumbers
>> 1 Maui sweet onion sliced thin
>>
>> Slice the cucs and onions and layer into your jar tightly. Bring the
>> syrup to a boil, boil for 4 minutes to blend the flavors, then pour the
>> hot liquid over the cucumbers and onions. Let cool to RT then
>> refrigerate. Brown said 4 days, 24 hours is enough.
>>
>> I'm not worried about how long they'll keep because I'll eat them all in
>> no time.

> Got any pictures showing what the items looked like during some of the
> steps?

Nope, but really it can't be easier. It's not canning, it's just a
refrigerator recipe. I may get myself a mandolin next time so I get nice
perfect slices. Just slice the cucs and onions then into the jar then top
with the boiling syrup. Easy peasy. Here's the result:

http://tinypic.com/r/mjxtv5/3

I'll do some pics with the next batch.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> OK, day 1 review - out freaking standing! After 24 hours the pickles are
> incredibly tasty and crunchy yet very much a pickle already.

Paul:

I haven't made these in years, but the USDA recipe is the one I always
used and a boiling-water bath for sealing (no pressure canner required.)
My old recipe didn't call for pickling lime.

Bread-and-Butter Pickles

* 6 lbs of 4- to 5-inch pickling cucumbers
* 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 3 pounds)
* 1/2 cup canning or pickling salt
* 4 cups vinegar (5 percent)
* 4-1/2 cups sugar
* 2 tbsp mustard seed
* 1-1/2 tbsp celery seed
* 1 tbsp ground turmeric
* 1 cup pickling lime (optional- for use in variation below for
making firmer pickles)

Yield: About 8 pints

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is
your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of
Home Canning.

Procedu Wash cucumbers. Cut 1/16-inch off blossom end and discard.
Cut into 3/16-inch slices. Combine cucumbers and onions in a large bowl.
Add salt. Cover with 2 inches crushed or cubed ice. Refrigerate 3 to 4
hours, adding more ice as needed.

Combine remaining ingredients in a large pot. Boil 10 minutes. Drain and
add cucumbers and onions and slowly reheat to boiling. Fill jars with
slices and cooking syrup, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and
process according to the recom-mendations in for more information see
Table 1 or use low-temperature pasteurization treatment. The following
treatment results in a better product texture but must be carefully
managed to avoid possible spoilage. Place jars in a canner filled half
way with warm (120º to 140ºF) water. Then, add hot water to a level 1
inch above jars. Heat the water enough to maintain 180 to 185ºF water
temperature for 30 minutes. Check with a candy or jelly thermometer to
be certain that the water temperature is at least 180ºF during the
entire 30 minutes. Temperatures higher than 185ºF may cause unnecessary
softening of pickles.

Variation for firmer pickles: Wash cucumbers. Cut 1/16-inch off blossom
end and discard. Cut into 3/16-inch slices. Mix 1 cup pickling lime and
1/2 cup salt to 1 gallon water in a 2- to 3-gallon crock or enamelware
container. Avoid inhaling lime dust while mixing the lime-water
solution. Soak cucumber slices in lime water for 12 to 24 hours,
stirring occasionally. Remove from lime solution, rinse, and resoak 1
hour in fresh cold water. Repeat the rinsing and soaking steps two more
times. Handle carefully, as slices will be brittle. Drain well.

Storage: After processing and cooling, jars should be stored 4 to 5
weeks to develop ideal flavor.

Variation: Squash bread-and-butter pickles. Substitute slender (1 to
1-1/2 inches in diameter) zucchini or yellow summer squash for cucumbers.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 3:28*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "The Ranger" > wrote in message

> > Paul M. Cook > wrote in message
> >> OK, day 1 review - out freaking standing! *After 24 hours the pickles are
> >> incredibly tasty and crunchy yet very much a pickle already. *The skins
> >> have not quite tenderized completely but they are very edible. *This
> >> started off as a Alton Brown recipe which I got wrong but the result is
> >> very good indeed. *The flavor is divine, very rich and mellow and will
> >> only get better every day. *Definitely better than Vlasic even. *These
> >> are totally worth doing.

> >> 2 cups water
> >> 4 cups white vinegar (I used a whole 32 oz bottle)
> >> 3 cups sugar
> >> 1 tablespoon kosher salt
> >> 3 tsp mustard seed
> >> 3 tsp ground turmeric
> >> 3 teaspoons celery seed
> >> 3 teaspoons pickling spice (had to go to 3 freaking stores to find it)
> >> 6-8 pounds sliced cucumbers
> >> 1 Maui sweet onion sliced thin

> >> Slice the cucs and onions and layer into your jar tightly. *Bring the
> >> syrup to a boil, boil for 4 minutes to blend the flavors, then pour the
> >> hot liquid over the cucumbers and onions. *Let cool to RT then
> >> refrigerate. *Brown said 4 days, 24 hours is enough.

> >> I'm not worried about how long they'll keep because I'll eat them all in
> >> no time.

> > Got any pictures showing what the items looked like during some of the
> > steps?

> Nope, but really it can't be easier. *It's not canning, it's just a
> refrigerator recipe. *I may get myself a mandolin next time so I get nice
> perfect slices. *Just slice the cucs and onions then into the jar then top
> with the boiling syrup. *Easy peasy. *Here's the result:
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/mjxtv5/3
>
> I'll do some pics with the next batch.

Thanks. I think I'll borrow my MIL's mandolin when we start harvesting
my cuc bounty. Right now, the tomatoes are starting to produce. The
peppers (jalapeno, Anaheim, and another type that I'd never seen prior
-- Xprax or something) are going like gangbusters so I'm a happy
camper...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> OK, day 1 review - out freaking standing! After 24 hours the pickles are
> incredibly tasty and crunchy yet very much a pickle already. The skins have
> not quite tenderized completely but they are very edible. This started off
> as a Alton Brown recipe which I got wrong but the result is very good
> indeed. The flavor is divine, very rich and mellow and will only get better
> every day. Definitely better than Vlasic even. These are totally worth
> doing.
>
> 2 cups water
> 4 cups white vinegar (I used a whole 32 oz bottle)
> 3 cups sugar
> 1 tablespoon kosher salt
> 3 tsp mustard seed
> 3 tsp ground turmeric
> 3 teaspoons celery seed
> 3 teaspoons pickling spice (had to go to 3 freaking stores to find it)
> 6-8 pounds sliced cucumbers
> 1 Maui sweet onion sliced thin
>
> Slice the cucs and onions and layer into your jar tightly. Bring the syrup
> to a boil, boil for 4 minutes to blend the flavors, then pour the hot liquid
> over the cucumbers and onions. Let cool to RT then refrigerate. Brown said
> 4 days, 24 hours is enough.
>
> I'm not worried about how long they'll keep because I'll eat them all in no
> time.
>
> Paul

Thanks for posting this! It sounds good but I'd not use the sugar. ;-)
I'm not a sweet pickle fan...

Did you consider adding dill weed or dill seed?
Or was that included in the pickling spice?
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> > Got any pictures showing what the items looked like during some of the
> > steps?

> Nope, but really it can't be easier. It's not canning, it's just a
> refrigerator recipe. I may get myself a mandolin next time so I get nice
> perfect slices. Just slice the cucs and onions then into the jar then top
> with the boiling syrup. Easy peasy. Here's the result:
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/mjxtv5/3
>
> I'll do some pics with the next batch.

Looks good!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
>> OK, day 1 review - out freaking standing! After 24 hours the pickles are
>> incredibly tasty and crunchy yet very much a pickle already. The skins
>> have
>> not quite tenderized completely but they are very edible. This started
>> off
>> as a Alton Brown recipe which I got wrong but the result is very good
>> indeed. The flavor is divine, very rich and mellow and will only get
>> better
>> every day. Definitely better than Vlasic even. These are totally worth
>> doing.
>>
>> 2 cups water
>> 4 cups white vinegar (I used a whole 32 oz bottle)
>> 3 cups sugar
>> 1 tablespoon kosher salt
>> 3 tsp mustard seed
>> 3 tsp ground turmeric
>> 3 teaspoons celery seed
>> 3 teaspoons pickling spice (had to go to 3 freaking stores to find it)
>> 6-8 pounds sliced cucumbers
>> 1 Maui sweet onion sliced thin
>>
>> Slice the cucs and onions and layer into your jar tightly. Bring the
>> syrup
>> to a boil, boil for 4 minutes to blend the flavors, then pour the hot
>> liquid
>> over the cucumbers and onions. Let cool to RT then refrigerate. Brown
>> said
>> 4 days, 24 hours is enough.
>>
>> I'm not worried about how long they'll keep because I'll eat them all in
>> no
>> time.
>>
>> Paul

> Thanks for posting this! It sounds good but I'd not use the sugar. ;-)
> I'm not a sweet pickle fan...
>
> Did you consider adding dill weed or dill seed?
> Or was that included in the pickling spice?

If you go to You Tube and search for "Alton Brown pickles" you'll find both
parts of his show online. He makes several kinds of "infused" pickles
including sour dills. Dill seed is what they use for dill pickles I
believe. I was able to find all the seeds in my store but for some reason
pickling spice I guess is just really exotic here in SoCal. But I found it
in the "ethnic" section of a store in a bad neighborhood.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> every day. Definitely better than Vlasic even.

Most homemade pickles are.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> Got any pictures showing what the items looked like during some of the
> steps?
>
> Good review; thanks.
>
> The Ranger

Thought not an Alton Brown recipe, I have pictures of B&B pickles in
process on my website, although my pickles are processed for shelf
storage: web.me.com/barbschaller; scroll down to the August 1 entry;
there's a link there. Or try this.
<http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...ed_Lady/Yes,_I
_Can%21/Entries/2009/8/1_Bread_%26_Butter_Pickles_II.html>

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> Nope, but really it can't be easier. It's not canning, it's just a
> refrigerator recipe. I may get myself a mandolin next time so I get nice
> perfect slices. Just slice the cucs and onions then into the jar then top
> with the boiling syrup. Easy peasy. Here's the result:
>
> http://tinypic.com/r/mjxtv5/3
>
> I'll do some pics with the next batch.
>
> Paul

That's a lot of turmeric. :-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> > Did you consider adding dill weed or dill seed?
> > Or was that included in the pickling spice?

> If you go to You Tube and search for "Alton Brown pickles" you'll find both
> parts of his show online. He makes several kinds of "infused" pickles
> including sour dills. Dill seed is what they use for dill pickles I
> believe. I was able to find all the seeds in my store but for some reason
> pickling spice I guess is just really exotic here in SoCal. But I found it
> in the "ethnic" section of a store in a bad neighborhood.
>
> Paul

Thanks. I've never seen it (pickling spice), but I'd never looked for
it either. :-) I cheat when I pickle anything and just use the brine
from jars of Claussen's dill pickles.

I did not suggest that to you however because of your situation. It
would not have been appropriate and it would not kill me to learn to
make my own dill pickle brine. <g> I've only ever refrigerator pickled
eggs and okra pods.

My personal preference is dill pickles.

I have a Claussen's clone recipe that was posted and stored:

Om, I googled the pickled eggs 'recipe' you posted, and saw that you
wanted to look into Claussens recipe.......... don't know if you have
yet or not, so here ya are!!

http://www.howtopickle.com/recipes/c...or_pickles.htm

CLAUSSEN LIKE REFRIGERATOR PICKLES

Part I
3 parts distilled water (important), 1 part distilled white vinegar
(important), for every quart of this mixture add 2 tablespoons of
kosher, non iodized salt (important) in a glass container (important).

Part II
In quart jars put, 1/2 tsp minced dried garlic, 1/4 tsp yellow mustard
seed, 2-4 black peppercorns, 2-4 whole alspice, 1 to 1/2 whole dried
cayenne pepper, a pinch of dill seed, a pinch of dill weed, a
miniscule pinch of turmeric and either 1/4 tsp of sugar or a whole
carrot, washed, sliced (as you like them) cucumbers.

Part III
Now take the brine mixture from Part I and bring it to a boil. Pour
this mixture over the cucumbers and spices in the jars and seal. Put
them in the refrigerator: Ready in 7-10 days. Keeps 8 - 19 weeks.
Brine can be re used.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
>> Nope, but really it can't be easier. It's not canning, it's just a
>> refrigerator recipe. I may get myself a mandolin next time so I get nice
>> perfect slices. Just slice the cucs and onions then into the jar then
>> top
>> with the boiling syrup. Easy peasy. Here's the result:
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/r/mjxtv5/3
>>
>> I'll do some pics with the next batch.
>>
>> Paul

> That's a lot of turmeric. :-)

Yeah, a bit much but it does not ruin the taste. These are bold but very
pleasant pickles. Next time I'll use 1/3rd less turmeric. But those
cucumbers were yellow to start with.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Thought not an Alton Brown recipe, I have pictures of B&B pickles in
> process on my website, although my pickles are processed for shelf
> storage: web.me.com/barbschaller; scroll down to the August 1 entry;
> there's a link there. Or try this.

<http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hanging_Out_with_The_Tattooed_Lady/Yes,_I_Can%21/Entries/2009/8/1_Bread_%26_Butter_Pickles_II.html>

Looking good.

Silly question... what's 'canning salt' exactly? I've seen Dad make B&B
pickles pretty much the same way, but IIRC he just used coarse salt.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>> Thought not an Alton Brown recipe, I have pictures of B&B pickles in
>> process on my website, although my pickles are processed for shelf
>> storage: web.me.com/barbschaller; scroll down to the August 1 entry;
>> there's a link there. Or try this.

<http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hanging_Out_with_The_Tattooed_Lady/Yes,_I_Can%21/Entries/2009/8/1_Bread_%26_Butter_Pickles_II.html>

> Looking good.
>
> Silly question... what's 'canning salt' exactly? I've seen Dad make
> B&B pickles pretty much the same way, but IIRC he just used coarse
> salt.

Er, scratch that - google is my friend. Can't say that I've noticed the
brine go cloudy... Mind you, they don't last long in this house <g>.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

> > Thought not an Alton Brown recipe, I have pictures of B&B pickles in
> > process on my website, although my pickles are processed for shelf
> > storage: web.me.com/barbschaller; scroll down to the August 1 entry;
> > there's a link there. Or try this.
> >

> <http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hangi...dy/Yes,_I_Can%
> 21/Entries/2009/8/1_Bread_%26_Butter_Pickles_II.html>
> >

> Looking good.

Thank youp they are very good.

> Silly question... what's 'canning salt' exactly? I've seen Dad make B&B
> pickles pretty much the same way, but IIRC he just used coarse salt.

Not a silly question if you don't know the answer. The term refers to
plain salt--un-iodized and without any anti-caking ingredient. It's
marketed here (by Morton's, the only brand I know for it) as Canning &
Pickling Salt. It's recommended for pickling; apparently, regular
iodized table salt can cause cloudy brines. As far as coarseness goes,
this is more like 'regular' table salt than Morton's Kosher Salt --
grains of kosher salt are larger.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/f...g_Pic_Salt.htm

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:

>> Looking good.

> Thank youp they are very good.
>>
>> Silly question... what's 'canning salt' exactly? I've seen Dad make
>> B&B pickles pretty much the same way, but IIRC he just used coarse
>> salt.

> Not a silly question if you don't know the answer. The term refers
> plain salt--un-iodized and without any anti-caking ingredient. It's
> marketed here (by Morton's, the only brand I know for it) as Canning &
> Pickling Salt. It's recommended for pickling; apparently, regular
> iodized table salt can cause cloudy brines. As far as coarseness
> goes, this is more like 'regular' table salt than Morton's Kosher Salt
> -- grains of kosher salt are larger.
>
> http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/f...g_Pic_Salt.htm

Yeah, thanks. I found some answers when I googled. I must admit I've
never looked for 'canning salt' specifically, so it may well be
available here.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:07:57 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote,
>Not a silly question if you don't know the answer. The term refers to
>plain salt--un-iodized and without any anti-caking ingredient. It's
>marketed here (by Morton's, the only brand I know for it) as Canning &
>Pickling Salt.

That's funny. I guess before Morton's invented "when it rains, it
pours" anti-caking additives, all salt was canning salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-24, David Harmon > wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:07:57 -0500 in rec.food.cooking, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote,
>>Not a silly question if you don't know the answer. The term refers to
>>plain salt--un-iodized and without any anti-caking ingredient. It's
>>marketed here (by Morton's, the only brand I know for it) as Canning &
>>Pickling Salt.

> That's funny. I guess before Morton's invented "when it rains, it
> pours" anti-caking additives, all salt was canning salt.

No it's not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>> Thought not an Alton Brown recipe, I have pictures of B&B pickles in
>> process on my website, although my pickles are processed for shelf
>> storage: web.me.com/barbschaller; scroll down to the August 1 entry;
>> there's a link there. Or try this.
>>

> <http://web.me.com/barbschaller/Hanging_Out_with_The_Tattooed_Lady/Yes,_I_Can%21/Entries/2009/8/1_Bread_%26_Butter_Pickles_II.html>
>>

> Looking good.
>
> Silly question... what's 'canning salt' exactly? I've seen Dad make B&B
> pickles pretty much the same way, but IIRC he just used coarse salt.

As St. Alton said, pickling salt is a very fine salt, unlike kosher which is
much more coarse. Neither have anti-caking compounds in them. You can use
them interchangeably but you must use more kosher salt to make up for the
volume difference by weight compared to pickling salt. You add half again
as much kosher salt than pickling salt called for in a recipe. Also, the
pickling salt dissolves easily in cold water where kosher salt tends not to
so it is more suitable for cold brine pickling.

Paul - Alton Brown fan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> As St. Alton said, pickling salt is a very fine salt, unlike kosher which is
> much more coarse. Neither have anti-caking compounds in them. You can use
> them interchangeably but you must use more kosher salt to make up for the
> volume difference by weight compared to pickling salt. You add half again
> as much kosher salt than pickling salt called for in a recipe. Also, the
> pickling salt dissolves easily in cold water where kosher salt tends not to
> so it is more suitable for cold brine pickling.

St. Alton is wrong on this one. The ratio of 1:1.5 you describe is
not a good rule of thumb. Various brands of salt have very different
volume to mass ratios, some are far from 1:1.5. The only sure way of
determining equivilancy is by weight.

Type/Brand Grams per cup
Morton Table 295
Morton Kosher 215