Old 30-07-2009, 04:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT, but it's not stopping anyone else

Obesity police's shaky science

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opi...73,print.story

And even if being thinner were better for you, DIETS DON'T WORK:

http://www.reuters.com/article/gc08/...2?pageNumber=1

"We concluded most of them would have been better off not going on the
diet at all. Their weight would be pretty much the same, and their
bodies would not suffer the wear and tear from losing weight and gaining
it all back," said Mann.

"Diets do not lead to sustained weight loss or health benefits for the
majority of people."

Diets don't work: http://kateharding.net/2007/04/12/diets-dont-work-but/

Diets don't work:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...s-dont-work-2/

(Might need registration, so here it is in full:

More Evidence That Diets Don’t Work
By tbilanow

As if we needed a reminder that diets mostly fail, The New England
Journal of Medicine has published a new report on an intense, tightly
controlled experiment involving more than 300 moderately obese people.

After two years of effort the dieters lost, on average, 6 to 10 pounds.
The study, funded in part by the Atkins Research Foundation, seemed
designed to prove that low-carb diets trump low-fat diets. But in the
end, all it really showed is that dieters can put forth tremendous
effort and reap very little benefit.

Dr. Dean Ornish, a proponent of low-fat diets, is critical of the study
design, particularly the fact that the so-called “low-fat” diet group
was really only a moderate-fat diet that included about 30 percent of
calories from fat. He writes more about the issue in a Newsweek column here.

The New England Journal report also affirmed something many women have
believed all along — that low-carb diets work better for men than women.
Male low-carb dieters lost about 11 pounds, compared to about 9 pounds
on a Mediterranean diet. Women low-carb dieters lost only about 5
pounds, compared to about 14 on the Mediterranean diet.

Diets don't work:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/po...5F60B2E1AB3C7F

And so on. Now can we get back to talking about cooking?

ObFood: I came home exhausted, and the kid was making dinner. She
doesn't cook much, and she wasn't impressed with her simple dinner of
veggies and rice, but I loved it, and I so appreciated her taking care
of us in that way.

Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Old 30-07-2009, 06:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" wrote
?

ObFood: I came home exhausted, and the kid was making dinner. She doesn't
cook much, and she wasn't impressed with her simple dinner of veggies and
rice, but I loved it, and I so appreciated her taking care of us in that
way.

She sounds like a good kid.

Old 30-07-2009, 08:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Serene Vannoy" wrote
?

ObFood: I came home exhausted, and the kid was making dinner. She doesn't
cook much, and she wasn't impressed with her simple dinner of veggies and
rice, but I loved it, and I so appreciated her taking care of us in that
way.

She sounds like a good kid.

And well loved) There is a lot of love in that house

Old 31-07-2009, 04:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
"Serene Vannoy" wrote
?
ObFood: I came home exhausted, and the kid was making dinner. She doesn't
cook much, and she wasn't impressed with her simple dinner of veggies and
rice, but I loved it, and I so appreciated her taking care of us in that
way.

She sounds like a good kid.

She's a really good kid. She's had a hard few years, and she's coming
out of it well.

Serene

Old 31-07-2009, 04:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
"cybercat" wrote in message
"Serene Vannoy" wrote
?
ObFood: I came home exhausted, and the kid was making dinner. She doesn't
cook much, and she wasn't impressed with her simple dinner of veggies and
rice, but I loved it, and I so appreciated her taking care of us in that
way.

She sounds like a good kid.

And well loved) There is a lot of love in that house

Yep. We're awfully lucky.

ObFood: Tonight, we stopped for hamburgers on our way home and got one
for the kid. Also, I got the best ever grape tomatoes for a dollar a
pound, and I'm gonna snarf a bazillion of them for "dessert".

Serene

Old 31-07-2009, 05:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" wrote

ObFood: Tonight, we stopped for hamburgers on our way home and got one for
the kid. Also, I got the best ever grape tomatoes for a dollar a pound,
and I'm gonna snarf a bazillion of them for "dessert".

I love grape tomatos. They are nice sliced (so they will not shoot out the
sides) with raw onions on sub type sandwiches, too. I have been cooking very
little this summer, mostly eating simple stuff like salads and sandwiches
(and watermelon!) at home, with the occasional big old greasy fast food
meal. Today it was a Bojangles bacon egg and cheese biscuit with fries. Big,
seasoned, half-floppy, half crispy, perfect potatoes. Mmm. Also, (and this
should wow the rfc crowd, haha!) I have discovered Shake N Bake, using it on
chicken legs after soaking them in milk for a few hours. Excellent cold, in
salads, or snarfed over the sink off the bone.

Old 31-07-2009, 06:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 11:56*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
snarfed over the sink off the bone.

I don't need to hear about your night job, slut.
Old 31-07-2009, 11:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
"Serene Vannoy" wrote
ObFood: Tonight, we stopped for hamburgers on our way home and got one for
the kid. Also, I got the best ever grape tomatoes for a dollar a pound,
and I'm gonna snarf a bazillion of them for "dessert".

I love grape tomatos. They are nice sliced (so they will not shoot out the
sides) with raw onions on sub type sandwiches, too. I have been cooking very
little this summer, mostly eating simple stuff like salads and sandwiches
(and watermelon!) at home, with the occasional big old greasy fast food
meal. Today it was a Bojangles bacon egg and cheese biscuit with fries. Big,
seasoned, half-floppy, half crispy, perfect potatoes. Mmm. Also, (and this
should wow the rfc crowd, haha!) I have discovered Shake N Bake, using it on
chicken legs after soaking them in milk for a few hours. Excellent cold, in
salads, or snarfed over the sink off the bone.

I know the style. I've been eating yogurt and/or cereal for breakfast,
salad/fruit for lunch and or dinner time frame mostly, with an
occasional indulgence. I have some BOGO coupons for Culver's double
deluxe burgers that expire today, so it's likely I'll indulge that
today. I also have some steamed burger with onions and mushrooms I made
yesterday for a more healthy loose meat sandwich yesterday. The left
over will likely go towards a chili on Saturday or Sunday. Guess I'll be
burgered out by the end of the week-end and switching to chicken :-) But
now is the right time to enjoy the salad and fruit as they are at least
50% off around here this time of the season.

Bob
Old 31-07-2009, 01:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 31, 5:56*am, Bob Muncie wrote:
cybercat wrote:
"Serene Vannoy" wrote
[...]

Man, my cup runneth over with restaurant coupons. I have buches of
BOGO coupons for any sandwich at a particular McD's. Del Taco put out
a sheet of coupons, so I searched the recycling containers in my old
neighborhood for those, and got lots of BK and Hardee's too, as they
were in the same mailer. I have a bunch of Entertainment books that
are good until Nov. 1, and some restaurant.com dining certificates.

White Castle has a coupon out now too: http://whitecastle.com/craversaver/coupon.html

I'll be getting some other good deals today, as the church is having
their garage sale. Got my eyes on a bike (that needs a little work),
a runner sled (for next winter), an old Monopoly game (for the extra
hotels and such, since my cat likes to relocate them), and a few other
things. I'm lining up early. I want that bike.

Bob

--Bryan
Old 31-07-2009, 01:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

Man, my cup runneth over with restaurant coupons. I have buches of
BOGO coupons for any sandwich at a particular McD's.

I've never heard of a coupon being location specific!?!

Del Taco put out
a sheet of coupons, so I searched the recycling containers in my old
neighborhood for those,

That paints a terrible mental picture. We used to get poor people going
through curbside trash looking for aluminum cans and they would toss
anything in their way onto the curb. We called them human roaches.

and got lots of BK and Hardee's too, as they
were in the same mailer. I have a bunch of Entertainment books that
are good until Nov. 1, and some restaurant.com dining certificates.

White Castle has a coupon out now too:
http://whitecastle.com/craversaver/coupon.html

An upgrade? HA!!! Either those are really teeny tiny burgers or there's
something unusually large about the small drink and regular fries. Ah, the
magic of advertising.

I'll be getting some other good deals today, as the church is having
their garage sale. Got my eyes on a bike (that needs a little work),
a runner sled (for next winter), an old Monopoly game (for the extra
hotels and such, since my cat likes to relocate them), and a few other
things. I'm lining up early. I want that bike.

I'd give you my Trek 24-speed if you were local. Lately, my hills have
continually gotten steeper and steeper.

Andy

Old 31-07-2009, 02:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:31:34 -0700, Serene Vannoy
wrote:

Ophelia wrote:
"cybercat" wrote in message
"Serene Vannoy" wrote
?
ObFood: I came home exhausted, and the kid was making dinner. She doesn't
cook much, and she wasn't impressed with her simple dinner of veggies and
rice, but I loved it, and I so appreciated her taking care of us in that
way.
She sounds like a good kid.

And well loved) There is a lot of love in that house

Yep. We're awfully lucky.

ObFood: Tonight, we stopped for hamburgers on our way home and got one
for the kid. Also, I got the best ever grape tomatoes for a dollar a
pound, and I'm gonna snarf a bazillion of them for "dessert".

Serene

Picked up two packs at costco, alittle sea salt and they're a terrific dessert.
Old 31-07-2009, 04:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Muncie" wrote

I know the style. I've been eating yogurt and/or cereal for breakfast,
salad/fruit for lunch and or dinner time frame mostly, with an occasional
indulgence. I have some BOGO coupons for Culver's double deluxe burgers
that expire today, so it's likely I'll indulge that today. I also have
some steamed burger with onions and mushrooms I made yesterday for a more
healthy loose meat sandwich yesterday.

Hmm, what is this "steamed burger?"

The left
over will likely go towards a chili on Saturday or Sunday. Guess I'll be
burgered out by the end of the week-end and switching to chicken :-) But
now is the right time to enjoy the salad and fruit as they are at least
50% off around here this time of the season.

Yes indeed. Man, they had four pints of really nice blueberries (not wild, I
know, I am deprived!) for $6 the other week the most expensive grocery
around, then they were four for $5 couple days ago! I had no idea they are
full of Omega 3 fatty acids, like fish, did you know that?

Old 31-07-2009, 09:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

that expire today, so it's likely I'll indulge that today. I also have
some steamed burger with onions and mushrooms I made yesterday for a more
healthy loose meat sandwich yesterday.

Hmm, what is this "steamed burger?"

The key was he said "loose meat." Just throw the hamburger in a hot
pan and stir it like crazy until it's all broken up and cooked through
- it shouldn't get browned which would make the bits hard and dry. It
just gets "steamed."

N.
Old 31-07-2009, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
"Bob Muncie" wrote
[...]

CC -

I will often times get burger (doesn't matter the % of fat for this cook
method) season well, put in a steamer rack on top of a coffee filter
that sits inside a smaller size stock pot. Two cups of water boiling,
add the steamer rack to the pot, cover and cook for appropriate time
(depends on thickness of the burger. In the above case, I mentioned
loose meat so the form was more like a maid-rite which is just highly
seasoned burger that is in loose format, and served on steamed buns with
mustard, chopped onions, and pickles. I could have also made them in a
hamburger shape (I have those round egg molds for frying eggs for muffin
sandwiches) but since I was making some for chili, I didn't bother.
Throw in a couple of buns to steam before serving. But I did saute
mushrooms and onions in olive oil to add to the burger after I broke it
up. Chopped raw onion is also a normal topping for the sandwiches.

The burger cooked this way is pretty ugly coming out as it's gray, but
it does taste good, and is a healthy way to cook it.

The remainder that I'll use for chili will go into a saute pan with
cumin and chili pepper (I use chipotle), stir until somewhat dry, and
add to chili base (and yes I use beans).

Bob

My dog even benefits as he gets some of the greased water to his dry
food before disposing of the water :-)

In sandwich form, you could also add shredded cheese (I uses cheddar or
mozzarella)or if you formed the burgers, sliced cheese also works well.
Old 31-07-2009, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
that expire today, so it's likely I'll indulge that today. I also have
some steamed burger with onions and mushrooms I made yesterday for a more
healthy loose meat sandwich yesterday.

Hmm, what is this "steamed burger?"

The key was he said "loose meat." Just throw the hamburger in a hot
pan and stir it like crazy until it's all broken up and cooked through
- it shouldn't get browned which would make the bits hard and dry. It
just gets "steamed."

N.

Thanks Nancy, and you would be right to assume I started doing it that
way before the steam basket method came to me later on. A traditional
"maid-rite" copykat is to do exactly what you describe, and than add
beef broth back into the mix once the burger is cooked and broken up to
re-moisten (the steam factor I think). That would also allow for the
steaming of the rolls or buns.

Bob