Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Newbe question regarding beef

"Bobo BonoboŽ" > wrote in message
On Jul 22, 7:17 pm, Nikhil Patel > wrote:
> I have bought a boneless Loin Sirloin steak but don't know what to do
> with it. I checked some of the recipes online but they are all using
> much smaller sirloin steaks. Mine is more than 1.75" thick and weighs
> a little more than 2lbs. Does that mean mine is actually not a sirloin
> steak? How do I cook this thing? Does any of you have any easy recipes.

If you have a charcoal grill, grill it. If you have a gas grill,
grill it. Not as good as wood/charcoal, but fine. If no outdoor
grill, then pan sear it or broil it. 1.75" is a good thickness for a
sirloin, assuming you like beef rare. Apply black pepper to the
surfaces, especially onto any fat, and go for it. If you like beef
well done, you bought the wrong thickness of sirloin.

--Bryan

I never have understood those chain restaurant commercials touting their
"sirloin" steaks. It's a cheap cut of meat, usually tough even when they
don't overcook it. It's best grilled no more than med-rare. Marinade is a
good idea, too.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 12:59*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Bobo BonoboŽ" > wrote in message

> On Jul 22, 7:17 pm, Nikhil Patel > wrote:
>
> > I have bought a boneless Loin Sirloin steak but don't know what to do
> > with it. I checked some of the recipes online but they are all using
> > much smaller sirloin steaks. Mine is more than 1.75" thick and weighs
> > a little more than 2lbs. Does that mean mine is actually not a sirloin
> > steak? How do I cook this thing? Does any of you have any easy recipes.

> If you have a charcoal grill, grill it. *If you have a gas grill,
> grill it. *Not as good as wood/charcoal, but fine. *If no outdoor
> grill, then pan sear it or broil it. *1.75" is a good thickness for a
> sirloin, assuming you like beef rare. *Apply black pepper to the
> surfaces, especially onto any fat, and go for it. *If you like beef
> well done, you bought the wrong thickness of sirloin.
>
> --Bryan
>
> I never have understood those chain restaurant commercials touting their
> "sirloin" steaks. *It's a cheap cut of meat, usually tough even when they
> don't overcook it. *It's best grilled no more than med-rare. *Marinade is a
> good idea, too.

It isn't very tender, but it tastes good. I don't prioritize tender.
I've always had good teeth. Just like with a t-bone or strip, I like
sirloins cut thick and sizzly seared on the outside, cool raw inside.
You are correct that once you get past MR they start to get pretty
tough. The thinner ones are good for chicken fried steak after
removing the outer fat and getting a good tenderizing with a hammer.
Salt, pepper, flour, and into the hot oil.

> Jill

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo BonoboŽ" > wrote in message
On Jul 23, 12:59 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Bobo BonoboŽ" > wrote in message

> On Jul 22, 7:17 pm, Nikhil Patel > wrote:
>
> > I have bought a boneless Loin Sirloin steak but don't know what to do
> > with it. I checked some of the recipes online but they are all using
> > much smaller sirloin steaks. Mine is more than 1.75" thick and weighs
> > a little more than 2lbs. Does that mean mine is actually not a sirloin
> > steak? How do I cook this thing? Does any of you have any easy recipes.

> If you have a charcoal grill, grill it. If you have a gas grill,
> grill it. Not as good as wood/charcoal, but fine. If no outdoor
> grill, then pan sear it or broil it. 1.75" is a good thickness for a
> sirloin, assuming you like beef rare. Apply black pepper to the
> surfaces, especially onto any fat, and go for it. If you like beef
> well done, you bought the wrong thickness of sirloin.
>
> --Bryan
>
> I never have understood those chain restaurant commercials touting their
> "sirloin" steaks. It's a cheap cut of meat, usually tough even when they
> don't overcook it. It's best grilled no more than med-rare. Marinade is a
> good idea, too.

It isn't very tender, but it tastes good. I don't prioritize tender.
I've always had good teeth. Just like with a t-bone or strip, I like
sirloins cut thick and sizzly seared on the outside, cool raw inside.
You are correct that once you get past MR they start to get pretty
tough. The thinner ones are good for chicken fried steak after
removing the outer fat and getting a good tenderizing with a hammer.
Salt, pepper, flour, and into the hot oil.

The Sirloin is a large primal section containing various cuts, ie. top
sirloin is far more tender than bottom sirloin. The sirloin also contains
the tri-tip which when properly cooked is excellent. When your stupidmarket
is selling sirloin on sale at like $1.98/lb you can be assured that it is
the least desirable part of the sirloin, good for stew and grinding.
Typically the chain steak houses like Sizzler serve top sirloin, quite
tender when not cooked past medium. And since top sirloin contains no bone
and needs minimal; trimming it affords customers a better deal, more edible
steak for their dollar, whereas with a t-bone by the time one struggles
paring out the meat from the bone and fat they've left half on their plate.

Butchers typically take the sirloin cap steaks for themselves.

http://www.beefretail.org/marksirloin.aspx