Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian,ba.food

Default Thai hot & sour soup with coconut milk and peanuts

On Jun 17, 4:05*am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> Coconut Chicken Soup (Tom Kah Gai) Serves 4 to 6
>
> 3 cups thick coconut milk
> 5 pieces kah (galangal)

Nick:

How much exactly is 5 pieces? 5 very thin slices of the root, or does
it come packaged in a way that already has it broken into pieces?
Also, I assume thick coconut milk is found in the can in the store and
labeled as such. It's been a while since I purchased any, but I don't
remember seeing the words 'thick' or 'thin' on the can. Thanks for the
recipe - Tom Kah Gai is one of my favorites.

-Jeff
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian,ba.food

JeffH > wrote:
> On Jun 17, 4:05=A0am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > Coconut Chicken Soup (Tom Kah Gai) Serves 4 to 6
> >
> > 3 cups thick coconut milk
> > 5 pieces kah (galangal)

> Nick:
>
> How much exactly is 5 pieces? 5 very thin slices of the root, or does
> it come packaged in a way that already has it broken into pieces?
> Also, I assume thick coconut milk is found in the can in the store and
> labeled as such. It's been a while since I purchased any, but I don't
> remember seeing the words 'thick' or 'thin' on the can. Thanks for the
> recipe - Tom Kah Gai is one of my favorites.

Hi, Jeff,

Galangal (dried) usually comes in small cellophane packets. The pieces are
around 1/8" thick and 3/4" square, mas o menos. Equal to about 1/2 tsp
powdered.

Thick or heavy coconut milk is like heavy cream in its consistency. Maybe
shaking the can will give you a feel for it. Making your own is best, but
_very_ labor intensive.

Tom Kah Gai is one of my favorites, too. Sticky rice is nice to dip in it.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nick wrote:

> Thick or heavy coconut milk is like heavy cream in its consistency. Maybe
> shaking the can will give you a feel for it. Making your own is best, but
> _very_ labor intensive.

Stick a can of coconut milk into the fridge. Once it's good and cold, open
it and spoon out the thick coconut milk on top. The remainder will be
considerably thinner.

Bob