Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian,ba.food

Default Thai hot & sour soup with coconut milk and peanuts

This recipe is probably not very authentic, but it is extremely
delicious and incredibly fattening.

You need some Tom-Yum soup paste, coconut milk, chicken stock, lemon/
lime juice, grated ginger, chicken/beef, split peas, rice, and maybe
some noodles or beans or whatever else you like, and raw peanuts with
the hulls removed.

Boil the split peas, beans, and whatever else needs lots of cooking,
then add a can of coconut milk, chicken stock, water, cooked meat, and
vegetables if desired.

Cook for about an hour, then begin adding some rice and maybe some
noodles a little bit at a time so you can get control how thick it
gets. Near the end you should add the Tom-Yum paste, fresh lemon-lime
juice, ginger, and maybe a little bit of soy sauce. Add the
seasonings a little bit at a time until desired taste is achieved.

To make it even more fattening you should take some raw peanuts and
lightly sautée them in a little bit of olive oil, then purée them with
the chicken stock or coconut milk and add them to the soup near the
end, because peanuts have a tendency to burn to the bottom of the pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian,ba.food

dank wrote:
> This recipe is probably not very authentic, but it is extremely
> delicious and incredibly fattening.
>
> You need some Tom-Yum soup paste, coconut milk, chicken stock, lemon/
> lime juice, grated ginger, chicken/beef, split peas, rice, and maybe
> some noodles or beans or whatever else you like, and raw peanuts with
> the hulls removed.

and fish sauce. Not much, maybe a tablespoon per gallon. Added 15
minuted before end of simmer.

-sw
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqwertz[_27_] View Post
dank wrote:
This recipe is probably not very authentic, but it is extremely
delicious and incredibly fattening.

You need some Tom-Yum soup paste, coconut milk, chicken stock, lemon/
lime juice, grated ginger, chicken/beef, split peas, rice, and maybe
some noodles or beans or whatever else you like, and raw peanuts with
the hulls removed.

and fish sauce. Not much, maybe a tablespoon per gallon. Added 15
minuted before end of simmer.

-sw
I made this last night...it was great!...Thank you
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian,ba.food

On Jun 17, 4:05*am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> Coconut Chicken Soup (Tom Kah Gai) Serves 4 to 6
>
> 3 cups thick coconut milk
> 5 pieces kah (galangal)

Nick:

How much exactly is 5 pieces? 5 very thin slices of the root, or does
it come packaged in a way that already has it broken into pieces?
Also, I assume thick coconut milk is found in the can in the store and
labeled as such. It's been a while since I purchased any, but I don't
remember seeing the words 'thick' or 'thin' on the can. Thanks for the
recipe - Tom Kah Gai is one of my favorites.

-Jeff
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.asian,ba.food

JeffH > wrote:
> On Jun 17, 4:05=A0am, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > Coconut Chicken Soup (Tom Kah Gai) Serves 4 to 6
> >
> > 3 cups thick coconut milk
> > 5 pieces kah (galangal)

> Nick:
>
> How much exactly is 5 pieces? 5 very thin slices of the root, or does
> it come packaged in a way that already has it broken into pieces?
> Also, I assume thick coconut milk is found in the can in the store and
> labeled as such. It's been a while since I purchased any, but I don't
> remember seeing the words 'thick' or 'thin' on the can. Thanks for the
> recipe - Tom Kah Gai is one of my favorites.

Hi, Jeff,

Galangal (dried) usually comes in small cellophane packets. The pieces are
around 1/8" thick and 3/4" square, mas o menos. Equal to about 1/2 tsp
powdered.

Thick or heavy coconut milk is like heavy cream in its consistency. Maybe
shaking the can will give you a feel for it. Making your own is best, but
_very_ labor intensive.

Tom Kah Gai is one of my favorites, too. Sticky rice is nice to dip in it.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061