Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Damaged tomato plants

While cleaning out my tomato pots and trimming my plants I noticed my yellow
pear had 2 main branches of 4 that had broken spots. It looked like the
branch had been twisted like a dish rag aka wrung out. The leaves were
still alive but the breaks did not look good. It looked like the plant had
tried to grow downward against the tomato stakes trying to make them grow
upwards. The breaks were brownish looking and seemed really week. I went
ahead and cut them off losing 1/3 of my plant in the process and most of my
young tomatoes.

Did I over react? I was thinking those limbs would never be viable and a
drain on the plant in the end. Plus I was worried about bug infiltration.
Will it recover? Sure doesn't look good at the moment.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Damaged tomato plants- OOPS

That one was for the garden group. Misposted.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> While cleaning out my tomato pots and trimming my plants I noticed my
> yellow pear had 2 main branches of 4 that had broken spots. It
> looked like the branch had been twisted like a dish rag aka wrung
> out. The leaves were still alive but the breaks did not look good.
> It looked like the plant had tried to grow downward against the
> tomato stakes trying to make them grow upwards. The breaks were
> brownish looking and seemed really week. I went ahead and cut them
> off losing 1/3 of my plant in the process and most of my young
> tomatoes.

Do you think that planting the broken stem (after a fresh cut) would
save it? Lay the first foot or so in soil? Just a thought.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> While cleaning out my tomato pots and trimming my plants I noticed my
>> yellow pear had 2 main branches of 4 that had broken spots. It
>> looked like the branch had been twisted like a dish rag aka wrung
>> out. The leaves were still alive but the breaks did not look good.
>> It looked like the plant had tried to grow downward against the
>> tomato stakes trying to make them grow upwards. The breaks were
>> brownish looking and seemed really week. I went ahead and cut them
>> off losing 1/3 of my plant in the process and most of my young
>> tomatoes.

> Do you think that planting the broken stem (after a fresh cut) would
> save it? Lay the first foot or so in soil? Just a thought.

Too late unfortunately. Oh well, I guess I just get fewer tomatoes. My
celebrity are doing really well at least.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> While cleaning out my tomato pots and trimming my plants I noticed my yellow
> pear had 2 main branches of 4 that had broken spots. It looked like the
> branch had been twisted like a dish rag aka wrung out. The leaves were
> still alive but the breaks did not look good. It looked like the plant had
> tried to grow downward against the tomato stakes trying to make them grow
> upwards. The breaks were brownish looking and seemed really week. I went
> ahead and cut them off losing 1/3 of my plant in the process and most of my
> young tomatoes.
>
> Did I over react? I was thinking those limbs would never be viable and a
> drain on the plant in the end. Plus I was worried about bug infiltration.
> Will it recover? Sure doesn't look good at the moment.
>
> Paul

Might have overreacted a bit. When dealing with broken stems of plants,
we normally try straightening them out gently and then taping over the
weak part to support it. It often (but not always) is enough for that
stem to recover and grow normally.

Too late for this time but try it next time and see how it goes.

(Some idiot workmen in London snapped the branches of a blueberry bush I
had growing out on my little back patio. Was very angry at them and
tried the straightening/taping in desperation. Couldn't go out and get
another bush so it was worth a try. Worked a treat and the poor bush
produced a lot of berries the next season, including the previously
snapped stems.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
>>
>> While cleaning out my tomato pots and trimming my plants I noticed my
>> yellow
>> pear had 2 main branches of 4 that had broken spots. It looked like the
>> branch had been twisted like a dish rag aka wrung out. The leaves were
>> still alive but the breaks did not look good. It looked like the plant
>> had
>> tried to grow downward against the tomato stakes trying to make them grow
>> upwards. The breaks were brownish looking and seemed really week. I
>> went
>> ahead and cut them off losing 1/3 of my plant in the process and most of
>> my
>> young tomatoes.
>>
>> Did I over react? I was thinking those limbs would never be viable and a
>> drain on the plant in the end. Plus I was worried about bug
>> infiltration.
>> Will it recover? Sure doesn't look good at the moment.
>>
>> Paul

> Might have overreacted a bit. When dealing with broken stems of plants,
> we normally try straightening them out gently and then taping over the
> weak part to support it. It often (but not always) is enough for that
> stem to recover and grow normally.

Yeah, I thought about that. Though about making a splint for it. The
vascular system was damaged but the stalk was not dead. I'll do that next
time. I'm hoping it is early enough in the season that it won't matter.
Already the emplt space is filling in with leaves from the other stalks but
they don;t look like they'll be growing any buds soon.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
>>>
>>> While cleaning out my tomato pots and trimming my plants I noticed my
>>> yellow
>>> pear had 2 main branches of 4 that had broken spots. It looked like the
>>> branch had been twisted like a dish rag aka wrung out. The leaves were
>>> still alive but the breaks did not look good. It looked like the plant
>>> had
>>> tried to grow downward against the tomato stakes trying to make them
>>> grow
>>> upwards. The breaks were brownish looking and seemed really week. I
>>> went
>>> ahead and cut them off losing 1/3 of my plant in the process and most of
>>> my
>>> young tomatoes.
>>>
>>> Did I over react? I was thinking those limbs would never be viable and
>>> drain on the plant in the end. Plus I was worried about bug
>>> infiltration.
>>> Will it recover? Sure doesn't look good at the moment.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> Might have overreacted a bit. When dealing with broken stems of plants,
>> we normally try straightening them out gently and then taping over the
>> weak part to support it. It often (but not always) is enough for that
>> stem to recover and grow normally.

> Yeah, I thought about that. Though about making a splint for it. The
> vascular system was damaged but the stalk was not dead. I'll do that next
> time. I'm hoping it is early enough in the season that it won't matter.
> Already the emplt space is filling in with leaves from the other stalks
> but they don;t look like they'll be growing any buds soon.
>
> Paul

If it is early enough in the season to make it worthwhile, you can cut a new
edge on the broken piece, put it in water and in about a week it will have
new roots. In my experience, the old tops on new roots are fairly robust
growers once established.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 8, 2:35*pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in ...

> >> Might have overreacted a bit. When dealing with broken stems of plants,
> >> we normally try straightening them out gently and then taping over the
> >> weak part to support it. It often (but not always) is enough for that
> >> stem to recover and grow normally.

> > Yeah, I thought about that. *Though about making a splint for it. *The
> > vascular system was damaged but the stalk was not dead. *I'll do that next
> > time. *I'm hoping it is early enough in the season that it won't matter.
> > Already the emplt space is filling in with leaves from the other stalks
> > but they don;t look like they'll be growing any buds soon.

> > Paul

> If it is early enough in the season to make it worthwhile, you can cut a new
> edge on the broken piece, put it in water and in about a week it will have
> new roots. *In my experience, the old tops on new roots are fairly robust
> growers once established.

Or cut the edge, dip it in Rootone and stick it into the soil. Keep
the soil damp around it for a week or two and it will root. Then it
will grow another shoot from that rooting.

> Janet

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2:35 pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> > > Yeah, I thought about that. Though about making a splint for it. The
> > > vascular system was damaged but the stalk was not dead. I'll do that next
> > > time. I'm hoping it is early enough in the season that it won't matter.
> > > Already the emplt space is filling in with leaves from the other stalks
> > > but they don;t look like they'll be growing any buds soon.

> > > Paul

> > If it is early enough in the season to make it worthwhile, you can cut a new
> > edge on the broken piece, put it in water and in about a week it will have
> > new roots. In my experience, the old tops on new roots are fairly robust
> > growers once established.

> Or cut the edge, dip it in Rootone and stick it into the soil. Keep
> the soil damp around it for a week or two and it will root. Then it
> will grow another shoot from that rooting.
>

> --Bryan

We've done that too. It also often works well enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
>> On Jul 8, 2:35 pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in ...

>>> If it is early enough in the season to make it worthwhile, you can cut a new
>>> edge on the broken piece, put it in water and in about a week it will have
>>> new roots. In my experience, the old tops on new roots are fairly robust
>>> growers once established.

>> Or cut the edge, dip it in Rootone and stick it into the soil. Keep
>> the soil damp around it for a week or two and it will root. Then it
>> will grow another shoot from that rooting.
>>
>> --Bryan

> We've done that too. It also often works well enough.

Has anyone been successful in doing that with a particular tree you'd
like to clone? I know one method is to strip back the bark on a likely
limb, put the Rootone on the bare spot, wrap with dampened peat moss,
and wrap that with clear plastic and tape in place. Remove after roots
grow, and look large enough to take hold in soil.

Just wondering if anyone has done something similar, and did it work.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:

> Arri London wrote:

<snip>

> >> Or cut the edge, dip it in Rootone and stick it into the soil. Keep
> >> the soil damp around it for a week or two and it will root. Then it
> >> will grow another shoot from that rooting.
> >>
> >> --Bryan

> > We've done that too. It also often works well enough.

> Has anyone been successful in doing that with a particular tree you'd
> like to clone? I know one method is to strip back the bark on a likely
> limb, put the Rootone on the bare spot, wrap with dampened peat moss,
> and wrap that with clear plastic and tape in place. Remove after roots
> grow, and look large enough to take hold in soil.
>
> Just wondering if anyone has done something similar, and did it work.
>
> Bob

Try it and see. It will work with plants but not with others. Ask your
local county extension service or botanical garden.
The plant cloning I've done was done in a lab with small bits of tissue
and Petri dishes etc. Not quite the same thing