Ray M

Default Muffin Modification

I have a recipe for lemon poppyseed bread (see link) that I would like to
try to convert to mini muffins. Right now, I bake the batter in a loaf pan
at 350 degrees for an hour and 10 minutes. Any ideas on how long and at
what temp I should use if I put the batter in a mini muffin tin?? Would any
other modifications to the recipe be necessary??

Thanks

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._14416,00.html

--
Ray

Remove NO and SPAM to reply

Captain Jack will get you high tonight
And take you to your special island
Captain Jack will get you by tonight
Just a little push and you'll be smilin'

Billy Joel -- Captain Jack

PENMART01

"Ray M" writes:

>I have a recipe for lemon poppyseed bread (see link) that I would like to
>try to convert to mini muffins. Right now, I bake the batter in a loaf pan
>at 350 degrees for an hour and 10 minutes. Any ideas on how long and at
>what temp I should use if I put the batter in a mini muffin tin?? Would any
>other modifications to the recipe be necessary??

I bake muffins at 400 F. With minis try 8-10 minutes, keeping a close watch...
time is dependant on how much you fill yours and how crusty you like em.... I
fill em right to the top, I like pubescent minis with poofy aureolas.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

DJS0302

>I have a recipe for lemon poppyseed bread (see link) that I would like to
>try to convert to mini muffins. Right now, I bake the batter in a loaf pan
>at 350 degrees for an hour and 10 minutes. Any ideas on how long and at
>what temp I should use if I put the batter in a mini muffin tin?? Would any
>other modifications to the recipe be necessary??

I wouldn't change the recipe. I would keep the temperature the same but I
would only bake 1 or 2 muffins to see how they turned out. They'll probably
only take 5 to 10 minutes to bake. You'll just to watch them. If the insides
of the muffins get too dry before the outsides have a chance to brown then I
would raise the oven temperature to 375 and try again. That way the outside
will get brown before the insides get a chance to dry out. On the other hand,
if the outsides get too brown before the centers are done then you should lower
the temperature of the oven. I know when I make a coffee cake I bake it at 375
but when I use the same recipe to make individual rolls I have to raise the
temperature to 400.
Sylvia

I can't bake muffins at 400 F, in my oven I wind up with burned bottoms.
At 350F, regular muffins usually take 15-20 minutes (pretty much
regardless of the recipe) so I'd start checking the minis at 8-10
minutes and keep checking every minute or two thereafter until done. I
wouldn't bother making one or two to start, because the heat absorption
is different with a mostly empty muffin pan and toothpicks (to check the
doneness) are cheap. However, I convert loaf recipes to muffins all
the time and they have always come out fine.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

DJS0302

>wouldn't bother making one or two to start, because the heat absorption
>is different with a mostly empty muffin pan and toothpicks (to check the
>doneness) are cheap.

So what happens if this person follows your advice and he ruins a whole batch
of muffins? At least with my method he can find the time and temperature that
works best for him without ruining too many muffins. Also the type of muffin
pan you use and whether you line it with paper liners is important too. I
experiment all the time with cookie recipes adjusting the time and temperature
and I'd rather have just a couple failures on the tray than to ruin a whole
batch. I guess I'm more of a perfectionist. Sure it may be good doing it one
way but I'm always trying to find a way to do it better.

Sylvia

> At least with my method he can find the time and temperature that
works best for him without ruining too many muffins.

No, he can find the time & temperature that works best for one or two
muffins. I explained why I don't recommend doing that -- what he does
is up to him, why do you object to someone else making a different
suggestion?

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com
Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
Remove "removethis" from address to reply

DJS0302

>> At least with my method he can find the time and temperature that
>works best for him without ruining too many muffins.
>
>No, he can find the time & temperature that works best for one or two
>muffins. I explained why I don't recommend doing that -- what he does
>is up to him, why do you object to someone else making a different
>suggestion?

I don't mind someone making a different suggestion. What I do mind is when
someone tries to contradict something I've posted. I will defend my position.
I never make any type of baking or cooking suggestion unless I've tried it
myself. I have made many types of baked goods from scratch without a recipe
and I have tried the method of baking only 1 or 2 items to see what time and
temperature is best. For a full batch of whatever it is I'm making all I
usually have to is add a minute or two onto the cooking time.

California's official state muffin -- the vegan muffin t.racer Vegan 0 11-03-2007 01:22 AM
A Must Modification to your WSM !!! g.711 Barbecue 9 20-10-2006 02:46 AM
Sangria Modification? Bryan Wine 5 23-09-2006 05:58 PM
Frohe's WSM handle modification Matthew L. Martin Barbecue 9 24-04-2004 11:41 PM
Modification to Cimarron Terry Jensen Barbecue 1 25-12-2003 08:05 PM