Matthew L. Martin

Default Frohe's WSM handle modification

I finally got a roundtuit and put a couple of garage door handles on my
WSM. The fit perfectly, not modification to the handles required. I
bought National brand 7 1/4" universal garage door handles. UPC 38613-28058.

The handles are formed as open tubes and in the vertical orientation
they stay quite cool..

Thanks for the idea, Frohe.

Matthew

--
If the war in Iraq was over oil, we lost.

Thomas Cormen

"Matthew L. Martin" > writes:

> I finally got a roundtuit and put a couple of garage door handles on
> my WSM. The fit perfectly, not modification to the handles required. I
> bought National brand 7 1/4" universal garage door handles. UPC
> 38613-28058.
>
> The handles are formed as open tubes and in the vertical orientation
> they stay quite cool..

I missed this one. Where do the handles go, and what's the purpose?

And, to tie in a related thread, does anyone else find that adding
wood chunks to the WSM after it has gotten going tends to produce bad
smoke? I start out with mostly lump plus a few chunks, but I no
longer add chunks during the cooking. FWIW, I use the pan-with-sand
(non-Frohe) method.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Associate Professor Fax: (603) 646-1672
Dept. of Computer Science Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510
Steve Wertz

On 18 Apr 2004 14:04:54 -0400, Thomas Cormen
> wrote:

>"Matthew L. Martin" > writes:
>
>> I finally got a roundtuit and put a couple of garage door handles on
>> my WSM. The fit perfectly, not modification to the handles required. I
>> bought National brand 7 1/4" universal garage door handles. UPC
>> 38613-28058.
>>
>> The handles are formed as open tubes and in the vertical orientation
>> they stay quite cool..

>I missed this one. Where do the handles go, and what's the purpose?

I don't understand why you'd attach the handles vertically instead
of horizontally.

-sw
Dsorgnzd

> >I missed this one. Where do the handles go, and what's the purpose?

> I don't understand why you'd attach the handles vertically instead
> of horizontally.
>
> -sw

The handles attach to the center section of the WSM, and allow you to lift
it off the charcoal bowl during the cook, if you should have need to do so
(to add more charcoal, stir the coals to remove excess ash - without
creating a cloud of ash inside the cooker, etc). You attach them vertically
because this lets you attach them via the existing bolts that hold the
brackets (where the grates and the water pan sit); thus, you don't have to
drill any holes in the WSM.

Here's more information on the subject:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/handles.html

frohe

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> Thanks for the idea, Frohe.

Kinda makes us even eh, Matthew? You was the one who got me goin on makin
the pipe frame around my turkey fryer for long cooks thru the night.

Glad you like the handles; they make gettin that big boy off the base much
easier.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Steve Wertz

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:24:08 -0400, "Dsorgnzd" >
wrote:

>> I don't understand why you'd attach the handles vertically instead
>> of horizontally.

>You attach them vertically
>because this lets you attach them via the existing bolts that hold the
>brackets (where the grates and the water pan sit); thus, you don't have to
>drill any holes in the WSM.

Ahh. I get it now. I figured if you had to drill holes, why not
just drill them horizontally.

-sw
Thomas Cormen

"Matthew L. Martin" > writes:

> I finally got a roundtuit and put a couple of garage door handles on
> my WSM. The fit perfectly, not modification to the handles required. I
> bought National brand 7 1/4" universal garage door handles. UPC
> 38613-28058.
>
> The handles are formed as open tubes and in the vertical orientation
> they stay quite cool..
>
> Thanks for the idea, Frohe.

Matt, you were dead on. I just picked up the very same handles, and
they fit perfectly! I haven't had a chance to verify your stay-cool
claim yet. But the fit is perfect, and it was most helpful to have
the UPC when I was searching.

Thanks to you and Frohe.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Associate Professor Fax: (603) 646-1672
Dept. of Computer Science Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510
Jim Bloomfield

"Thomas Cormen" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Matthew L. Martin" > writes:
>
> > I finally got a roundtuit and put a couple of garage door handles on
> > my WSM. The fit perfectly, not modification to the handles required. I
> > bought National brand 7 1/4" universal garage door handles. UPC
> > 38613-28058.
> >
> > The handles are formed as open tubes and in the vertical orientation
> > they stay quite cool..
> >
> > Thanks for the idea, Frohe.

> Matt, you were dead on. I just picked up the very same handles, and
> they fit perfectly! I haven't had a chance to verify your stay-cool
> claim yet. But the fit is perfect, and it was most helpful to have
> the UPC when I was searching.
>
> Thanks to you and Frohe.
>
> --THC

Are the handles available anywhere on the internet?

Thomas Cormen

"Jim Bloomfield" > writes:

> > > I finally got a roundtuit and put a couple of garage door handles on
> > > my WSM. The fit perfectly, not modification to the handles required. I
> > > bought National brand 7 1/4" universal garage door handles. UPC
> > > 38613-28058.

> Are the handles available anywhere on the internet?

Probably. But you should be able to find them at any reasonably large
hardware store.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Associate Professor Fax: (603) 646-1672
Dept. of Computer Science Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510
Dan Krueger

Are these the same handles?

http://tinyurl.com/34vkb

Dan

Jim Bloomfield wrote:

> "Thomas Cormen" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>"Matthew L. Martin" > writes:
>>

>>>I finally got a roundtuit and put a couple of garage door handles on
>>>my WSM. The fit perfectly, not modification to the handles required. I
>>>bought National brand 7 1/4" universal garage door handles. UPC
>>>38613-28058.
>>>
>>>The handles are formed as open tubes and in the vertical orientation
>>>they stay quite cool..
>>>
>>>Thanks for the idea, Frohe.

>>Matt, you were dead on. I just picked up the very same handles, and
>>they fit perfectly! I haven't had a chance to verify your stay-cool
>>claim yet. But the fit is perfect, and it was most helpful to have
>>the UPC when I was searching.
>>
>>Thanks to you and Frohe.
>>
>>--THC

> Are the handles available anywhere on the internet?

Brinkmann Modification Update Chris[_21_] Barbecue 0 09-07-2009 08:42 PM
A Must Modification to your WSM !!! g.711 Barbecue 9 20-10-2006 02:46 AM
Sangria Modification? Bryan Wine 5 23-09-2006 05:58 PM
Modification to Cimarron Terry Jensen Barbecue 1 25-12-2003 08:05 PM
Muffin Modification Ray M General Cooking 6 06-11-2003 09:53 PM