Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Montreal update

I'm in the middle of a short, tightly-scheduled visit
to Montreal. Hence my food investigations are rather
brief.

I did return to Ma'am Balduc for some poutine, and it's still
the best I've ever had. The fries, along with the gravy
("Sauce Brune") are superior and the cheese is good.
The gravy is more roux-like than most other places.
I could see into the kitchen, and the cook (an older
Quebecois) prepares each batch of gravy for each order
of poutine in a small saucepan. Service is a bit slow
but the results are good.

We also went to a wildly popular poutine place, Banquise.
Good but not quite as good overall, although they may have
better cheese -- ultra-squeaky.

We only had time and budget for one fine-dining choice, and
selected Holder, and were very happy. Excellent wine list.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> We also went to a wildly popular poutine place, Banquise.
> Good but not quite as good overall, although they may have
> better cheese -- ultra-squeaky.
>
> We only had time and budget for one fine-dining choice, and
> selected Holder, and were very happy. Excellent wine list.

My favourite place in Montreal is a bistro called Restarante l"Express
on rue St. Denis. Great food and reasonable prices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 May 2009 12:50:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>> We also went to a wildly popular poutine place, Banquise.
>> Good but not quite as good overall, although they may have
>> better cheese -- ultra-squeaky.
>>
>> We only had time and budget for one fine-dining choice, and
>> selected Holder, and were very happy. Excellent wine list.

>My favourite place in Montreal is a bistro called Restarante l"Express
>on rue St. Denis. Great food and reasonable prices.

I spent a couple of weeks divided between Montreal and Quebec City a
few years ago and managed not to blunder into poutine, nor did anyone
mention it within my earshot - thank Alex! The pictures I've see of
it look like throw-up.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 13 May 2009 08:47:50p, sf told us...

> On Wed, 13 May 2009 12:50:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>>> We also went to a wildly popular poutine place, Banquise.
>>> Good but not quite as good overall, although they may have
>>> better cheese -- ultra-squeaky.
>>>
>>> We only had time and budget for one fine-dining choice, and selected
>>> Holder, and were very happy. Excellent wine list.

>>My favourite place in Montreal is a bistro called Restarante l"Express
>>on rue St. Denis. Great food and reasonable prices.

> I spent a couple of weeks divided between Montreal and Quebec City a
> few years ago and managed not to blunder into poutine, nor did anyone
> mention it within my earshot - thank Alex! The pictures I've see of
> it look like throw-up.

I think it looks more like pig slop. There's no way in hell I'd eat it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it. ~Author Unknown

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 13, 10:52*am, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> I'm in the middle of a short, tightly-scheduled visit
> to Montreal. *Hence my food investigations are rather
> brief.
>
> I did return to Ma'am Balduc for some poutine, and it's still
> the best I've ever had. *The fries, along with the gravy
> ("Sauce Brune") are superior and the cheese is good.
> The gravy is more roux-like than most other places.
> I could see into the kitchen, and the cook (an older
> Quebecois) prepares each batch of gravy for each order
> of poutine in a small saucepan. *Service is a bit slow
> but the results are good.
>
> We also went to a wildly popular poutine place, Banquise.
> Good but not quite as good overall, although they may have
> better cheese -- ultra-squeaky.
>
> We only had time and budget for one fine-dining choice, and
> selected Holder, and were very happy. *Excellent wine list.
>
> Steve

I have to say, I had Poutine (in Toronto though). It was great!
Satisfying comfort food.

Might look odd, but when did that mean everything to food?

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> on rue St. Denis. Great food and reasonable prices.

>> I spent a couple of weeks divided between Montreal and Quebec City a
>> few years ago and managed not to blunder into poutine, nor did anyone
>> mention it within my earshot - thank Alex! The pictures I've see of
>> it look like throw-up.
>>

> I think it looks more like pig slop. There's no way in hell I'd eat it.

It is actually very good. Deep fried potatoes, gravy and cheese
curds..... a heart attack on a plate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>On Thu 14 May 2009 07:28:18a, Dave Smith told us...

>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I think it looks more like pig slop. There's no way in hell I'd eat it.

>> It is actually very good. Deep fried potatoes, gravy and cheese
>> curds..... a heart attack on a plate.

>Dave, I love deep fried potatoes, but only if they're "dry" and crisp, and
>certainly not with gravy on them. I sometimes like gravy on meat, but not
>even on mashed potatoes. As to the cheese curds, my only encounter was
>less than happy. :-)

It's one of those dishes that depends upon exactness of
execution in order to be really good.

To summarize the rest of our trip to Montreal (we just
returned to Berkeley, after 14 hours in transit) --
I missed out (because I was working) on the obligatory
visit to Cafe Union for an espresso, but my traveling
partner reports it was damned good -- short and thick,
like in Naples, says she. She did buy a half-pound of
their coffee, for us to have in the mornings in our
apartment before I went to work, and it is an excellent
espresso-roast coffee. They are well known as a contender
for the best coffee in town.

Yesterday evening, we went to a place called Rare Bar and Grill, in
Little Italy, which was very nice. Their specialty is...
gnocchi poutine. I know it sounds like a gimmick, but
it was so good we were blown away. The gnocchi were
clearly fried, but light and tender; later, I had a chance to talk to
the owner and creator of this dish, and he described his lengthy
technique for deep-frying gnocchi, but it would be indiscreet
for me to repeat any details. The sauce was a veal-stock
based gravy, the cheese some specialty form of the Quebecois
curd cheese. In any event, a very successful dish.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Dave, I love deep fried potatoes, but only if they're "dry" and crisp, and
> certainly not with gravy on them. I sometimes like gravy on meat, but not
> even on mashed potatoes. As to the cheese curds, my only encounter was
> less than happy. :-)

Gravy is very popular on French Fries here in Canada. I understand that
it is not so popular in the US.

> I can hardly begin to imagine my reaction with all three of them combined
> in one dish.

Personally, I think that poutine is delicious, but why to rich for my
system.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Dave, I love deep fried potatoes, but only if they're "dry" and crisp,
>> and certainly not with gravy on them. I sometimes like gravy on meat,
>> but not even on mashed potatoes. As to the cheese curds, my only
>> encounter was less than happy. :-)

> Gravy is very popular on French Fries here in Canada. I understand that it
> is not so popular in the US.
>

>> I can hardly begin to imagine my reaction with all three of them combined
>> in one dish.

> Personally, I think that poutine is delicious, but why to rich for my
> system.

So you wouldn't try the version with foie gras at
http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca/ ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

>>> I can hardly begin to imagine my reaction with all three of them combined
>>> in one dish.

>> Personally, I think that poutine is delicious, but why to rich for my
>> system.

> So you wouldn't try the version with foie gras at
> http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca/ ?

Good gawd no. I can't eat food that rich. Nor would I pay $23 for a dish
that features fries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...

>>> Personally, I think that poutine is delicious, but why to rich for my
>>> system.

>> So you wouldn't try the version with foie gras at
>> http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca/ ?

> Good gawd no. I can't eat food that rich. Nor would I pay $23 for a dish
> that features fries.

I'll eat anything that has that magic ingredient: foie gras! Still, my
experience of poutine hasn't been stellar. It was the texture of the curds
that spoiled it for me, but, as it wasn't in La Belle Province, I'm open to
trying it again. Then I'll try the FG version! {:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

>>> So you wouldn't try the version with foie gras at
>>> http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca/ ?

>> Good gawd no. I can't eat food that rich. Nor would I pay $23 for a dish
>> that features fries.
>>

> I'll eat anything that has that magic ingredient: foie gras! Still, my
> experience of poutine hasn't been stellar. It was the texture of the curds
> that spoiled it for me, but, as it wasn't in La Belle Province, I'm open to
> trying it again. Then I'll try the FG version! {:-)

It's the cheese curds that make it poutine. Otherwise, it is just fries
with gravy. Ideally, they use fresh cheese curds and chicken gravy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham > wrote:

>I'll eat anything that has that magic ingredient: foie gras! Still, my
>experience of poutine hasn't been stellar. It was the texture of the curds
>that spoiled it for me, but, as it wasn't in La Belle Province, I'm open to
>trying it again. Then I'll try the FG version! {:-)

I would say foie gras poutine misses the point of both foie gras
and poutine. It would be akin to foie gras pizza.

I quit eating foie gras a number of years ago, but prior to
that the best I had was from the northeast (New York state),
so I suspect the Quebec product is very good also.

The specialty poutines with odd ingredients are to keep
daily poutine-eaters from becoming bored with it; the classic
preparation is probably the best, or at least the one you
want to seek out a good version of, if you're trying to
understand and appreciate the dish.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2009 14:48:07 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> Good gawd no. I can't eat food that rich. Nor would I pay $23 for a dish
>>> that features fries.
>>>

>> I'll eat anything that has that magic ingredient: foie gras! Still, my
>> experience of poutine hasn't been stellar. It was the texture of the curds
>> that spoiled it for me, but, as it wasn't in La Belle Province, I'm open to
>> trying it again. Then I'll try the FG version! {:-)

>It's the cheese curds that make it poutine. Otherwise, it is just fries
>with gravy. Ideally, they use fresh cheese curds and chicken gravy.

Is that the place in montreal that makes its own curds? I hear it's
wonderful. We're going east this summer so maybe we'll stop there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...

>>> Good gawd no. I can't eat food that rich. Nor would I pay $23 for a dish
>>> that features fries.
>>>

>> I'll eat anything that has that magic ingredient: foie gras! Still, my
>> experience of poutine hasn't been stellar. It was the texture of the
>> curds that spoiled it for me, but, as it wasn't in La Belle Province, I'm
>> open to trying it again. Then I'll try the FG version! {:-)

> It's the cheese curds that make it poutine. Otherwise, it is just fries
> with gravy. Ideally, they use fresh cheese curds and chicken gravy.

It was the curds in this case - the texture was awful. If you have ever
eaten a mature cheese made from low fat milk, you'll know what I mean.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

>> It's the cheese curds that make it poutine. Otherwise, it is just fries
>> with gravy. Ideally, they use fresh cheese curds and chicken gravy.

> It was the curds in this case - the texture was awful. If you have ever
> eaten a mature cheese made from low fat milk, you'll know what I mean.

I won't claim to be an expert on cheese curds, but those who like them
can certainly tell the difference. My son, having lived in Montreal for
the the last 9 years, certainly appreciates the fresh curds, and the
lady who owns the cheese shop in our little town always has a big sing
out when she has fresh curds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham > wrote:

> It was the curds in this case - the texture was awful.

Didn't you say this was not even in Quebec?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 May 2009 14:23:47 -0500, wrote:

>Is that the place in montreal that makes its own curds? I hear it's
>wonderful. We're going east this summer so maybe we'll stop there.

So poutine is defined by only one place?
http://www.uoregon.edu/~jloucks/Bubb...e%20deluxe.JPG
Gravy and fries.... and cheese. I dunno. Must have been smoking
something potent when they dreamed up that combination.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in
m:

>>> Personally, I think that poutine is delicious, but why to rich for
>>> my system.

>> So you wouldn't try the version with foie gras at
>> http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca/ ?

> Good gawd no. I can't eat food that rich. Nor would I pay $23 for a
> dish that features fries.

Yeah, that`s strictly for tourists. We poutine purists insist on fresh (of
the day) cheese curds. No adulteration will be tolerated.

--
Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in
:

> I'll eat anything that has that magic ingredient: foie gras! Still,
> my experience of poutine hasn't been stellar. It was the texture of
> the curds that spoiled it for me, but, as it wasn't in La Belle
> Province, I'm open to trying it again. Then I'll try the FG version!
> {:-)

You'll find the best poutine at rest stops along highway 20 between
Montréal and Québec, particularly one around Val-Alain.

There are many bad poutiniers even in Québec.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:h5ou051t2mp5a4p8eq9vic0359qit1j81v@
4ax.com:

> What exactly are the fresh curds, Steve? Young cheddar, cottage
> cheese, ricotta...

Cheddar. Only cheddar. Of the day, not even 24 hours old. Anything else
is a paltry copy.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in news:6mnu0592va6j4olomlblm8khvmmloa6gc1@
4ax.com:

> So poutine is defined by only one place?
> http://www.uoregon.edu/~jloucks/Bubb...e%20deluxe.JPG
> Gravy and fries.... and cheese. I dunno. Must have been smoking
> something potent when they dreamed up that combination.

Yes and it's not for the faint of heart. This is more appetizing.

http://electron.mit.edu/~gsteele/pou..._poutine_1.jpg

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
good of everyone. - John Maynard Keynes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>What exactly are the fresh curds, Steve? Young cheddar, cottage
>cheese, ricotta...

It's definitely not a cultured cheese like cheddar. It is a
fresh cottage cheese, sorta like paneer or perhaps mozzarella, but it
is "squeaky" in texture. Cheese exactly like it seems unique
to Quebec. (In my experience; maybe it also exists in other states
or provinces nearby.)

>I saw a reference to compressed and aged ricotta today on FoodTV, it
>looked interesting but I am not familiar with it locally. Have you
>seen anything like it on your side of the Bay?

Ricotta salada is pretty common amoung foodies at this point.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher > wrote:

>sf > wrote in news:h5ou051t2mp5a4p8eq9vic0359qit1j81v@

>> What exactly are the fresh curds, Steve? Young cheddar, cottage
>> cheese, ricotta...

>Cheddar. Only cheddar. Of the day, not even 24 hours old. Anything else
>is a paltry copy.

No, not cheddar, which refers to a cultured and aged cheese.
Unless you're using a unique definition of cheddar...

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> graham > wrote:
>
>> It was the curds in this case - the texture was awful.

> Didn't you say this was not even in Quebec?
>
> Steve

No. In a French resto though, in Canada!

Incidentally, I met a Quebecois in Canmore, Alberta, who swore that the
poutine served in a local fast food chain was close to the real thing.
Surely, if the fries are OK, the gravy is OK and the curds are the right
sort, does it matter where it comes from?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> sf > wrote:
>
>>What exactly are the fresh curds, Steve? Young cheddar, cottage
>>cheese, ricotta...

> It's definitely not a cultured cheese like cheddar. It is a
> fresh cottage cheese, sorta like paneer or perhaps mozzarella, but it
> is "squeaky" in texture.

That was my experience and "squeaky" describes it perfectly. If that's it.
I'll stick to the foie gras version!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher > wrote:

>She asked what kind of curds. They are cheddar curds.

Thanks. That makes sense, it's just that I'm not used to the
term "cheddar" being applied to curds rather than a matured
cheese.

Steve

Restaurants Montreal Mike[_56_] General 0 02-11-2010 01:30 PM
montreal elaine General Cooking 69 17-08-2007 05:34 PM
Montreal recommendations? Steve Pope General Cooking 11 07-05-2007 02:00 AM
montreal smoked beef mike Barbecue 6 14-02-2005 09:35 PM
Sourdough in Montreal Charles Perry Sourdough 1 03-02-2005 07:18 PM