Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Montreal recommendations?

If anyone has any recommendations for either restaurants
or food retailers in Montreal, please let me know.
(Centrally located, or near a subway stop preferred.)

I have heard there is good Jewish food there, if anyone
knows any specifics I am highly interested, but any sort
of food advice appreciated.

Thanks much!

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote on 05 May 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> If anyone has any recommendations for either restaurants
> or food retailers in Montreal, please let me know.
> (Centrally located, or near a subway stop preferred.)
>
> I have heard there is good Jewish food there, if anyone
> knows any specifics I am highly interested, but any sort
> of food advice appreciated.
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Steve

Find a bagel bakery...you won't be sorry.
Montreal is good for regional cheeses and also for their duck,,,hell good
for their food period. Try some Montreal Smoked Meat (kinda like corned
beef).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote on 05 May 2007 in rec.food.cooking

>> If anyone has any recommendations for either restaurants
>> or food retailers in Montreal, please let me know.

>Find a bagel bakery...you won't be sorry.
>Montreal is good for regional cheeses and also for their duck,,,hell good
>for their food period. Try some Montreal Smoked Meat (kinda like corned
>beef).

Thanks, the bagels were already on my radar; I shall look for
the Smoked Meat and keep duck in mind.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> If anyone has any recommendations for either restaurants
> or food retailers in Montreal, please let me know.
> (Centrally located, or near a subway stop preferred.)
>
> I have heard there is good Jewish food there, if anyone
> knows any specifics I am highly interested, but any sort
> of food advice appreciated.
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Steve

One of the Chowhound guys has a good "Chow tour" article:

http://www.chow.com/tour/2027

Also there is a large Chinese population and 3 "Chinatowns" in Montreal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 11:44 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:
>
> >Steve Pope wrote on 05 May 2007 in rec.food.cooking
> >> If anyone has any recommendations for either restaurants
> >> or food retailers in Montreal, please let me know.

> >Find a bagel bakery...you won't be sorry.
> >Montreal is good for regional cheeses and also for their duck,,,hell good
> >for their food period. Try some Montreal Smoked Meat (kinda like corned
> >beef).

> Thanks, the bagels were already on my radar; I shall look for
> the Smoked Meat and keep duck in mind.
>
> Steve

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index_eng.html

You wont' regret it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> If anyone has any recommendations for either restaurants
> or food retailers in Montreal, please let me know.
> (Centrally located, or near a subway stop preferred.)
>
> I have heard there is good Jewish food there, if anyone
> knows any specifics I am highly interested, but any sort
> of food advice appreciated.
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Steve

http://www.chefmoz.org/Canada/QC/Montreal/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 May 2007 08:56:34 -0400, George >
wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:
>> If anyone has any recommendations for either restaurants
>> or food retailers in Montreal, please let me know.
>> (Centrally located, or near a subway stop preferred.)
>>
>> I have heard there is good Jewish food there, if anyone
>> knows any specifics I am highly interested, but any sort
>> of food advice appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks much!
>>
>> Steve

>One of the Chowhound guys has a good "Chow tour" article:
>
>http://www.chow.com/tour/2027
>
>Also there is a large Chinese population and 3 "Chinatowns" in Montreal.

We stayed and ate most of our evening meals on St. Denis. Great
area!. I was there for the local food, not Chinese, not Jewish or
anything else I can find where I live.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

>We stayed and ate most of our evening meals on St. Denis. Great
>area!. I was there for the local food, not Chinese, not Jewish or
>anything else I can find where I live.

I have no intention of seeking out Chinese food in Montreal,
but there is little/no Jewish food here in the Bay Area
so that I intend to check out.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> If anyone has any recommendations for either restaurants
> or food retailers in Montreal, please let me know.
> (Centrally located, or near a subway stop preferred.)
>
> I have heard there is good Jewish food there, if anyone
> knows any specifics I am highly interested, but any sort
> of food advice appreciated.

We go to Montreal a few times a year to visit our son. It is a great city
for eating out because there are so many good, reasonably priced
restaurants. Our favourite is Restaurant l'Express at 3927 Saint-Denis near
the Sherbrooke Metro stop. It is a Parisian style bistro with wonderful
food. We had a great meal in a Portuguese restaurant a few blocks east of
St.Denis on rue Dultuth. Sorry but I don't remember the name. We also like
the Nil Bleu (Blue Nile) for Ethiopian food. It is just a few blocks down
the street at 4110 Saint-Denis. In the area between those restaurants and
the park there are several great bagel shops, and Montreal bagels are
great.

There are a number of decent places at the pedestrian mall on King Arthur
at Saint Laurant. Most have tables outdoors in the summer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 6, 4:06 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Steve Pope wrote:
>
> > If anyone has any recommendations for either restaurants
> > or food retailers in Montreal, please let me know.
> > (Centrally located, or near a subway stop preferred.)

> > I have heard there is good Jewish food there, if anyone
> > knows any specifics I am highly interested, but any sort
> > of food advice appreciated.

> We go to Montreal a few times a year to visit our son. It is a great city
> for eating out because there are so many good, reasonably priced
> restaurants. Our favourite is Restaurant l'Express at 3927 Saint-Denis near
> the Sherbrooke Metro stop. It is a Parisian style bistro with wonderful
> food. We had a great meal in a Portuguese restaurant a few blocks east of
> St.Denis on rue Dultuth. Sorry but I don't remember the name. We also like
> the Nil Bleu (Blue Nile) for Ethiopian food. It is just a few blocks down
> the street at 4110 Saint-Denis. In the area between those restaurants and
> the park there are several great bagel shops, and Montreal bagels are
> great.
>
> There are a number of decent places at the pedestrian mall on King Arthur
> at Saint Laurant. Most have tables outdoors in the summer.

L'Express is my favorite, too.
There is another restaurant I like, L'Academie.
http://www.martiniboys.com/Montreal/L'Academie-review.html

Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> > There are a number of decent places at the pedestrian mall on King Arthur
> > at Saint Laurant. Most have tables outdoors in the summer.

> L'Express is my favorite, too.
> There is another restaurant I like, L'Academie.
> http://www.martiniboys.com/Montreal/L'Academie-review.html

Well there you go. Two people totally unconnected have the same favourite
restaurant in a city that is hundreds of miles away. It is a great place.
The food is good. There is a wide variety of dishes from which to choose,
and it is very reasonable. The service is friendly and efficient. The only
problem is finding the number in the phone book to make a reservation,
which is recommended. Good thing people here can find it on the web.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 May 2007 16:15:06 -0700, Dee Dee > wrote:

>There is another restaurant I like, L'Academie.
>http://www.martiniboys.com/Montreal/L'Academie-review.html

Thanks for the memory! That restaurant was on the same block as our
B & B when we visited Montreal. Good prices, good food - long lines
if you don't time it right.... BYOB of wine (they didn't sell it)
which you purchase at a liquor store mid-block. The restaurant
supplied a cooling bucket and glasses *and* didn't charge a corkage
fee. It was quite civilized.

--
See return address to reply by email

Restaurants Montreal Mike[_56_] General 0 02-11-2010 02:30 PM
Recommendations for Montreal and Quebec City Zeppo[_2_] Wine 10 10-08-2009 05:39 PM
Montreal update Steve Pope General Cooking 30 17-05-2009 08:05 PM
montreal elaine General Cooking 69 17-08-2007 05:34 PM
Sourdough in Montreal Charles Perry Sourdough 1 03-02-2005 08:18 PM