Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default montreal

I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one night
and French one night.

I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone mentioned it
the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group would be welcome too.

Thanks in advance.........

e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:

> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
> enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one night
> and French one night.
>
> I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone mentioned it
> the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group would be welcome too.

Montreal may be (partly) French speaking, but it is not especially well
known for French cuisine. However, there is a Parisian style bistro
called "L'Express" on rue St.Denis. I go there almost every time I visit
Montreal and the food is great. Reservations are recommended because it is
very popular. There are lots of other good restaurants in that area.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> elaine wrote:
>>
>> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
>> enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one
>> night
>> and French one night.
>>
>> I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone mentioned
>> it
>> the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group would be welcome
>> too.

> Montreal may be (partly) French speaking, but it is not especially well
> known for French cuisine. However, there is a Parisian style bistro
> called "L'Express" on rue St.Denis. I go there almost every time I visit
> Montreal and the food is great. Reservations are recommended because it is
> very popular. There are lots of other good restaurants in that area.

Thanks..........
e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in message
> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
> enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one
> night and French one night.
>
> I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone mentioned
> it the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group would be welcome
> too.

There's a great Portuguese restaurant near St. Catherine's - I can't
remember the damn name though. It's famous for having the largest selection
of Port wine in North America. The food was great, the service was really
good, the atmosphere was cool.

Also, get a smoked meat sandwich. They are to die for!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Davlo" > wrote in message

> "elaine" > wrote in message
>> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
>> enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one
>> night and French one night.

> There's a great Portuguese restaurant near St. Catherine's - I can't
> remember the damn name though. It's famous for having the largest
> selection of Port wine in North America. The food was great, the service
> was really good, the atmosphere was cool.
>
> Also, get a smoked meat sandwich. They are to die for!!

...........and poutine!!

e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:44:52 -0400, "elaine" >
wrote:

>I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
>enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one night
>and French one night.
>
>I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone mentioned it
>the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group would be welcome too.
>
>Thanks in advance.........

Why do Japanese in Montreal of all places? We stayed on St. Denis
near Sherbrooks and ate locally.... none of them were "ethnic"
restaurants.

I absolutely love the practice of BYOB! Look for it because they have
state run liquor stores practically on every block in Montreal (or so
it seemed). The BYOB restaurants don't treat you like a second class
citizen either. They provide the entire set up - iced wine buckets if
needed, nice wine glasses and free corkage.... plus the waiter pours
your wine for you. What more can you ask? I was happy as a Canadian
clam.

sf
who *loved* visiting Montreal and Quebec City

I revisited the city of Vancouver and the island of Vancouver
(Victoria) this summer, which was another great trip.

--

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in message
> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
> enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one
> night and French one night.
>
> I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone mentioned
> it the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group would be welcome
> too.
>
> Thanks in advance.........
>
> e.

Stop at Schwartz for a smoked meat lunch :-) You won't regret it.

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter" > wrote in message

> "elaine" > wrote in message
>> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
>> enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one
>> night and French one night.
>>
>> I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone mentioned
>> it the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group would be
>> welcome too.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.........
>>
>> e.

> Stop at Schwartz for a smoked meat lunch :-) You won't regret it.
>
> http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/

I'll second that. Getting insulted there is half-the fun. It's all in
great fun. Fun to sit and talk to the locals, too.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...

> Why do Japanese in Montreal of all places? We stayed on St. Denis
> near Sherbrooks and ate locally.... none of them were "ethnic"
> restaurants.
>
> I absolutely love the practice of BYOB! Look for it because they have
> state run liquor stores practically on every block in Montreal (or so
> it seemed).

You can buy beer and wine in just about any food store there, not state run.

> The BYOB restaurants don't treat you like a second class
> citizen either. They provide the entire set up - iced wine buckets if
> needed, nice wine glasses and free corkage.... plus the waiter pours
> your wine for you. What more can you ask? I was happy as a Canadian
> clam.
>
> sf
> who *loved* visiting Montreal and Quebec City

I ate at Aux Anciens Canadiens in Quebec city recently, in the old part of
town.

http://www.auxancienscanadiens.qc.ca/TheMenu.html

I had "Grilled stag, caribou and buffalo tenderloin, cognac and pink pepper
sauce", It was a memorable meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "Peter" > wrote in message
>>
>> "elaine" > wrote in message
>>> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
>>> enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one
>>> night and French one night.
>>>
>>> I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone
>>> mentioned it the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group
>>> would be welcome too.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.........
>>>
>>> e.

>> Stop at Schwartz for a smoked meat lunch :-) You won't regret it.
>>
>> http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/

> I'll second that. Getting insulted there is half-the fun. It's all in
> great fun. Fun to sit and talk to the locals, too.
> Dee Dee

Don't forget the point though, it tastes damn good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:

> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
> enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one night
> and French one night.
>
> I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone mentioned it
> the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group would be welcome too.

Check out some of the Montreal bagel shops. Montreal bagels are
incredible. I haven't been able to bring myself to bye bagels around her
because I got spoiled there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine said...

> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
> enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one
> night and French one night.
>
> I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone
> mentioned it the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group
> would be welcome too.
>
> Thanks in advance.........
>
> e.

I was going to suggest between meals, you visit Molson Breweries and take a
tour but they no longer offer them.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:37:51 GMT, "Peter" > wrote:

>> I absolutely love the practice of BYOB! Look for it because they have
>> state run liquor stores practically on every block in Montreal (or so
>> it seemed).

>You can buy beer and wine in just about any food store there, not state run.

I don't think I saw a grocery store while in Montreal. I wasn't
grocery shopping, didn't even want to grocery shop, a state run liquor
store was almost directly across the street from me on St. Denis AND
the BYOB restaurant was on the same block too. I ate dinner there
more than once. http://www.lacademie.ca/StDenis.htm

--

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Check out some of the Montreal bagel shops. Montreal bagels are
> incredible. I haven't been able to bring myself to bye bagels around her
> because I got spoiled there.

Montreal bagels are *something*, but they're certainly not bagels. You want
a bagel - go to NYC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Davlo said...

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>
>> Check out some of the Montreal bagel shops. Montreal bagels are
>> incredible. I haven't been able to bring myself to bye bagels around
>> her because I got spoiled there.

> Montreal bagels are *something*, but they're certainly not bagels. You
> want a bagel - go to NYC.

It can't be THAT difficult that only New Yorkers can make "real" bagels.
Bunch o' crapola! I bet you can find an as good as, if not better bagel in
Montreal.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Davlo wrote:

> Montreal bagels are *something*, but they're certainly not bagels. You want
> a bagel - go to NYC.

For Cathy--

Might this be a survey? Once and for all, let people vote on bagels.
Are New York bagels the only true bagels, or might there be other places
that compare? Are bagels doughnut shaped bread or something chewier and
more sublime? Can Real Bagels have blueberries and whole wheat, or is
that sacrilege, the only true bagels being made with pumpernickle or
sesame seeds?

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> elaine said...
>
>> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
>> enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one
>> night and French one night.
>>
>> I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone
>> mentioned it the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group
>> would be welcome too.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.........
>>
>> e.

> I was going to suggest between meals, you visit Molson Breweries and take
> tour but they no longer offer them.

Damn, so much to do and so little time. One time I was in Montreal, we took
a horse a buggy tour of the old city. It was beautiful. I believe we're
going to the Arboreum saturday afternoon; other than that's it all food!!
Oh that and the A****er Market which I enjoy.

e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:41:32 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Davlo said...
>

>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Check out some of the Montreal bagel shops. Montreal bagels are
>>> incredible. I haven't been able to bring myself to bye bagels around
>>> her because I got spoiled there.

>> Montreal bagels are *something*, but they're certainly not bagels. You
>> want a bagel - go to NYC.

>It can't be THAT difficult that only New Yorkers can make "real" bagels.
>Bunch o' crapola! I bet you can find an as good as, if not better bagel in
>Montreal.

Not if they are French Style Andy! I found the Jewish district in
Paris, ordered a bagel and nearly gagged on it. Whatever it is...
it's NOT a real bagel. It's soft, fluffy crap... good only for people
who forgot to put in their dentures that morning.

--

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:55:01 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Are New York bagels the only true bagels, or might there be other places
>that compare?

Julia, have you ever found a bagel in NYC that doesn't have a
comparable one somewhere else? I haven't. AFAIC, if the "perfect" NY
bagel is always on the other side of town, don't call it a NY bagel -
call it by the bagelry that makes it.

--

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> >> Check out some of the Montreal bagel shops. Montreal bagels are
> >> incredible. I haven't been able to bring myself to bye bagels around
> >> her because I got spoiled there.

> > Montreal bagels are *something*, but they're certainly not bagels. You
> > want a bagel - go to NYC.

> It can't be THAT difficult that only New Yorkers can make "real" bagels.
> Bunch o' crapola! I bet you can find an as good as, if not better bagel in
> Montreal.

Montreal bagels are slightly different. They are hand rolled, slightly
smaller and with larger holes. They are boiled briefly in honey sweetened
water and then baked in a wood fired oven. They really are delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:37:51 GMT, "Peter" > wrote:
>
>>> I absolutely love the practice of BYOB! Look for it because they have
>>> state run liquor stores practically on every block in Montreal (or so
>>> it seemed).

>>You can buy beer and wine in just about any food store there, not state
>>run.

> I don't think I saw a grocery store while in Montreal. I wasn't
> grocery shopping, didn't even want to grocery shop, a state run liquor
> store was almost directly across the street from me on St. Denis AND
> the BYOB restaurant was on the same block too. I ate dinner there
> more than once. http://www.lacademie.ca/StDenis.htm

I don't just mean grocery store when I say "food store", but convenience
stores or corner stores as they are called in some places, and other related
"food stores", stock beer and wine. While they don't all stock every type,
I had no problem finding Grolsch or Dab beers when I stayed there. I
didn't check the wine selection.

The initial point of "booze are everywhere" stands though :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> elaine said...
>>
>>> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends
>>> who enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese
>>> one night and French one night.
>>>
>>> I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone
>>> mentioned it the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group
>>> would be welcome too.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.........
>>>
>>> e.

>> I was going to suggest between meals, you visit Molson Breweries and
>> take a
>> tour but they no longer offer them.

> Damn, so much to do and so little time. One time I was in Montreal, we
> took a horse a buggy tour of the old city. It was beautiful. I believe
> we're going to the Arboreum saturday afternoon; other than that's it all
> food!! Oh that and the A****er Market which I enjoy.
>
> e.

elaine,

I just GoogleEarth'd the A****er Market. Looks great!

While I was "there," I also "unEarth'd lots of the old Expo 67 exhibits.
Great to see Habitat '67 and the BioSphere/American Pavilion again. The
only two exhibits I remember like it was 1967. I remember walking through
Habitat '67. I thought it was crazy-cool, walking through occupied
"dwellings," etc.! And the BioSphere, listening to The Monkees as we walked
inside and seeing Peter Tork's bass hanging on a wall!

GoogleEarth what a wonderful waste of time.

Have fun!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:

> Damn, so much to do and so little time. One time I was in Montreal, we took
> a horse a buggy tour of the old city. It was beautiful. I believe we're
> going to the Arboreum saturday afternoon; other than that's it all food!!
> Oh that and the A****er Market which I enjoy.

Check out the park on the mountain on a Sunday. It is a busy place. There
is a big drum party at the bottom on the east side. ANd if you want a good
life, there is a weekly live action combat event with young kids and older
geeks who come dressed up with capes and nerf weapons. There was a funny
incident a few years ago where someone on the internet arranged for
hundreds of people to dress up like zombies and to descend on the live
action fighters. They started showing up on schedule and zombie walked
and moaned their way to the combat zone. Seeing the approaching zombies,
the live action geeks automatically got into formation to fight them off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:41:32 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>It can't be THAT difficult that only New Yorkers can make "real" bagels.
>>Bunch o' crapola! I bet you can find an as good as, if not better bagel

in
>>Montreal.
>>

> Not if they are French Style Andy! I found the Jewish district in
> Paris, ordered a bagel and nearly gagged on it. Whatever it is...
> it's NOT a real bagel. It's soft, fluffy crap... good only for people
> who forgot to put in their dentures that morning.

sf,

If Americans can make great French croissants, the French can surely make
great American bagels?!!

It's only dough.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> elaine said...
>
>> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
>> enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one
>> night and French one night.
>>
>> I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone
>> mentioned it the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group
>> would be welcome too.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.........
>>
>> e.

> I was going to suggest between meals, you visit Molson Breweries and take
> tour but they no longer offer them.
>
> Andy

A brewery for college kid beers? :-) That would be like visiting the Coors
brewery or Bud brewery, surely there would be better breweries to visit?
I'm fond of various microbreweries, and I'm sure Montreal has a couple.

Here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, there is Propeller and Garrison. There is
the Keiths brewery too, and while it is a nice historic thing, is not a
micro any longer.

Garrison has some novelty brews such as Raspberry, Java, Jalapeno (yes it is
hot, and meant for cooking) beers. I prefer their Nut brown or Red though.
They do samples at the brewery, $5 and try them all.

Propeller is known for the Pale Ale and India Pale Ales.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter wrote:

> I don't just mean grocery store when I say "food store", but convenience
> stores or corner stores as they are called in some places, and other related
> "food stores", stock beer and wine. While they don't all stock every type,
> I had no problem finding Grolsch or Dab beers when I stayed there. I
> didn't check the wine selection.

They have stores called depanneurs, or deps, convenience stores that sell
beer and wine as well as milk, pop, cigarettes, magazines etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in :

> didn't even want to grocery shop,

You'd be surprised how much entertainment it can be to go to a grocery
store in a different country. Everything from packaging to what's carried
by the store is different.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> If Americans can make great French croissants, the French can surely make
> great American bagels?!!

Ah, but can they? In my experience, Americans CAN'T make great French
croissants. They can come close, but the real deal is found only in France.

> It's only dough.

Not necessarily. It's particulars of flour, water and expertise. A
French baker would find challenges to making croissants in New York.
Similarly, you could export New York bakers to Paris, and I'd bet they'd
have trouble reproducing true bagels there.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> elaine said...
>>
>>> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends
>>> who enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese
>>> one night and French one night.
>>>
>>> I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone
>>> mentioned it the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group
>>> would be welcome too.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.........
>>>
>>> e.

>> I was going to suggest between meals, you visit Molson Breweries and
>> take a
>> tour but they no longer offer them.
>>
>> Andy

> A brewery for college kid beers? :-) That would be like visiting the
> Coors brewery or Bud brewery, surely there would be better breweries to
> visit? I'm fond of various microbreweries, and I'm sure Montreal has a
> couple.

Funny, I noticed Molson brews Coors Light and Miller High Life and other
"****-water" beers.

> Here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, there is Propeller and Garrison. There
> is the Keiths brewery too, and while it is a nice historic thing, is not
> a micro any longer.
>
> Garrison has some novelty brews such as Raspberry, Java, Jalapeno (yes
> it is hot, and meant for cooking) beers. I prefer their Nut brown or
> Red though. They do samples at the brewery, $5 and try them all.
>
> Propeller is known for the Pale Ale and India Pale Ales.

Peter,

I found the Propeller Brewery on...

http://realbeer.com/canada/search.html

They have tours also. Guess I'll be going to Halifax when I cross the
border.

Thanks for the info,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Julia, have you ever found a bagel in NYC that doesn't have a
> comparable one somewhere else? I haven't. AFAIC, if the "perfect" NY
> bagel is always on the other side of town, don't call it a NY bagel -
> call it by the bagelry that makes it.

Interesting question. If I lived in New York, I'd go outside to do
research right this minute. I've had bad bagels in New York, stale and
airy. But I've never had a bagel outside of New York that was as good
as a good New York one.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:05:58 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Not necessarily. It's particulars of flour, water and expertise. A
>French baker would find challenges to making croissants in New York.
>Similarly, you could export New York bakers to Paris, and I'd bet they'd
>have trouble reproducing true bagels there.
>

>--Lia

Isn't that something like making San Francisco sourdough bread?
Although I think there really is a strain of yeast that is associated
with the sourdough there..it was even given the designation of having
San Francisco in it's name. I did read somewhere it was the combo of
this strain of yeast, the water and the fog that produced this great
sourdough.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:05:58 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> > wrote:
>

>>Not necessarily. It's particulars of flour, water and expertise. A
>>French baker would find challenges to making croissants in New York.
>>Similarly, you could export New York bakers to Paris, and I'd bet they'd
>>have trouble reproducing true bagels there.
>>

>>--Lia

> Isn't that something like making San Francisco sourdough bread?
> Although I think there really is a strain of yeast that is associated
> with the sourdough there..it was even given the designation of having
> San Francisco in it's name. I did read somewhere it was the combo of
> this strain of yeast, the water and the fog that produced this great
> sourdough.
>
> Christine

I saw something about that on a food program. The starter of it is over 100
years old or something.

Admittedly the sourdough bread in my area is awful. If I could find it
piping hot fresh that "might' help.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler said...

> sf wrote:
>
>> Julia, have you ever found a bagel in NYC that doesn't have a
>> comparable one somewhere else? I haven't. AFAIC, if the "perfect" NY
>> bagel is always on the other side of town, don't call it a NY bagel -
>> call it by the bagelry that makes it.

> Interesting question. If I lived in New York, I'd go outside to do
> research right this minute. I've had bad bagels in New York, stale and
> airy. But I've never had a bagel outside of New York that was as good
> as a good New York one.
>

> --Lia

Uhm... does the CABAL know about this?

TINC

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:08:37 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:05:58 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:
>

>>Not necessarily. It's particulars of flour, water and expertise. A
>>French baker would find challenges to making croissants in New York.
>>Similarly, you could export New York bakers to Paris, and I'd bet they'd
>>have trouble reproducing true bagels there.
>>

>>--Lia

>Isn't that something like making San Francisco sourdough bread?
>Although I think there really is a strain of yeast that is associated
>with the sourdough there..it was even given the designation of having
>San Francisco in it's name. I did read somewhere it was the combo of
>this strain of yeast, the water and the fog that produced this great
>sourdough.

It's just a fond memory now. Columbo and Parisian are gone.... I
have no idea what happed to the 150 year old sourdough "mother".
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...AGJCEASE41.DTL

On the plus side, more and more local bakeries are making decent
sourdough now.

--

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Not necessarily. It's particulars of flour, water and expertise. A
> French baker would find challenges to making croissants in New York.
> Similarly, you could export New York bakers to Paris, and I'd bet they'd
> have trouble reproducing true bagels there.

Croissants I had in Denmark and Germany were every bit as good as those I
had in France.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Peter said...

>> Here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, there is Propeller and Garrison. There
>> is the Keiths brewery too, and while it is a nice historic thing, is not
>> a micro any longer.
>>
>> Garrison has some novelty brews such as Raspberry, Java, Jalapeno (yes
>> it is hot, and meant for cooking) beers. I prefer their Nut brown or
>> Red though. They do samples at the brewery, $5 and try them all.
>>
>> Propeller is known for the Pale Ale and India Pale Ales.

> Peter,
>
> I found the Propeller Brewery on...
>
> http://realbeer.com/canada/search.html
>
> They have tours also. Guess I'll be going to Halifax when I cross the
> border.
>
> Thanks for the info,
>
> Andy

They are both worth a visit, even if you skip the tour. Garrison is on the
page too it seems.

http://www.garrisonbrewing.com/index3.html

http://www.drinkpropeller.ca/

I had a Nova Scotia food tourism thread posted a few days back too, for some
on topic ideas. I have some more ideas and places I've visited to add, I
may even create a small website about it ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:

> I'm off to Montreal on Friday until Monday with a couple of friends who
> enjoy eating and are excellent cooks.. We plan on doing Japanese one night
> and French one night.
>
> I looked on Chowhound (never knew about that site until someone mentioned it
> the other day). Suggestions from anyone in this group would be welcome too.

Another Montreal food thought..... Trois Brasseurs is a mcirobrewery
restaurant with three different locations in Montreal. The brew their own
beer (of course) on site and have great food. On of their specialities is
flamms, e crepes baked with a variety of toppings. They are delicious, and
very filling. The toppings are very generous.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> Davlo wrote:
>
>> Montreal bagels are *something*, but they're certainly not bagels. You
>> want a bagel - go to NYC.

> For Cathy--
>

> Might this be a survey? Once and for all, let people vote on bagels. Are
> New York bagels the only true bagels, or might there be other places that
> compare? Are bagels doughnut shaped bread or something chewier and more
> sublime? Can Real Bagels have blueberries and whole wheat, or is that
> sacrilege, the only true bagels being made with pumpernickle or sesame
> seeds?
>

> --Lia

Here is a thread about bagels that started from a guy that told me about the
best bagels he's ever eaten. I consider him an expert on bagels. Near New
Haven - the best pizza in the world.

http://tinyurl.com/384hac

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Croissants I had in Denmark and Germany were every bit as good as those I
> had in France.

That does it! I don't believe you and am going to do the research
myself eating croissants across Europe.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> Here is a thread about bagels that started from a guy that told me about the
> best bagels he's ever eaten. I consider him an expert on bagels. Near New
> Haven - the best pizza in the world.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/384hac

Ah, gee. Follow the tinyurls, http://tinypic.com/66ufn79.jpg

http://tinypic.com/4lqr0gx.jpg