Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Fuchsia Dunlop's General Tso's Chicken

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Fuchsia Dunlop's General Tso's Chicken

none

---- sauce:----
1 tablespoon double-concentrate tomato paste,; mixed with 1 tbsp water
1/2 teaspoon potato starch (corn starch can be; substituted)
1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
11/2 teaspoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
3 tablespoons chicken stock or water
----chicken:----
12 ounces (about 4 to boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
2 teaspoons light soy sauce
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons potato starch (corn starch can be; substituted)
1 quart peanut oil, more as needed,; for frying
6 to 10 dried red chile peppers
2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons sesame oil
scallions, sliced thinly,; for garnish.
rice, for serving

1. Make the sauce: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, and set
aside.

2. Make the chicken: Unfold the chicken thighs; lay on a cutting board.
Remove as much of the sinew as possible. (If some parts are very thick, cut
in half horizontally.) Slice a few shallow crosshatches into the meat; cut
each thigh into roughly 1/4-inch slices, and place in a large bowl. Add
the soy sauces and egg yolk; mix well. Stir in the potato starch and 2
teaspoons peanut oil; set aside.

3. Using scissors, snip the chile peppers into 1/4-inch pieces, discarding
seeds. Set aside.

4. Pour 3 1/2 cups peanut oil into a large wok or deep saucepan or enough
oil to rise 1 1/2 inches from the bottom. Set over high heat until oil
reaches 350 to 400 degrees. Add half the chicken; fry until crisp and deep
golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a
plate. Repeat with second batch of chicken. Pour oil into a heatproof
container, and wipe the wok or saucepan clean.

5. Place wok or saucepan over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons peanut oil. When
hot, add chile peppers and stir-fry for a few seconds, until they just
begin to change color. Add the ginger and garlic; stir-fry for a few
seconds longer, until fragrant. Add the sauce, stirring as it thickens.
Return chicken to wok, and stir vigorously to coat. Remove from heat; stir
in the sesame oil, and top with scallions. Serve with rice.

Notes: Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Prov

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 5, 4:41*am, hahabogus > wrote:
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Fuchsia Dunlop's General Tso's Chicken

[snip recipe]

> Notes: *Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Prov

Thanks for posting this. If I were going to make the dish, this is
the version I'd try first. Then the second time I might add some
sugar or honey to the sauce, just to taste the difference. -aem