Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default tomato paste vs tomato sauce

I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make much
difference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and cannot
believe that I never noticed this before.

Thanks

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
>I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
> that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
> just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make much
> difference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and cannot
> believe that I never noticed this before.
>
> Tomato

You obviously have not been reading labels carefully... with just about
every product that contains tomato the tomato is reconstitued tomato
paste/concentrate... all tomato sauce, all tomato juice, all ketchup, even
Heinz. This the only reasonable method for maintaining product consistancy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 2:54*pm, Andy > wrote:
> said...
>
> > I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
> > that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
> > just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make much
> > difference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and cannot
> > believe that I never noticed this before.

> > Thanks

> Tomato paste is much more natural.
>
> I enjoy the tang of paste. YMMV.

Me too. Especially Contadina. I make a pasta sauce that has nothing
but paste, water and bay leaf. I simmer browned meatballs in it. The
meatballs have nothing in them but very lean ground beef, pulverized
fat free saltines, and EVOO. Simmering mellows the acid, and no
sugar is needed. This was my mother's recipe, except that she used
regular saltines, and fattier ground beef. Substituting EVOO for all
the fat in the saltines, and most of the fat in the beef, IMO,
improves the flavor.

> Best,
>
> Andy
> --

--Bryan listen @ http://www.MySpace.com/TheBonobos

"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 3:46*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
> > *wrote *on Mon, 4 May 2009 12:36:26 -0700 (PDT):

> >> Thanks
> >> I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
> >> that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
> >> just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make
> >> muchdifference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and
> >> cannotbelieve that I never noticed this before.

> > It's just a matter of convenience. There's less bother if a brand of
> > sauce pleases you but you might start with the paste if you intend to
> > add your own herbs etc.

> Yep. We even make our own tomato juice from paste now (we buy paste with
> no spices), since the day we noticed that all the tomato juice we were
> buying was from concentrate anyway.

The Wal Mart brand is "not from concentrate." It's cheap, and tastes
good, at least as good as canned tomato juice can taste.

> Serene
>
> --
> 42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!http://42magazine.com
>
> "But here's a handy hint: *if your fabulous theory for ending war and
> all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
> humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
> example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

--Bryan listen @ http://www.MySpace.com/TheBonobos

"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 7:58*pm, thudpucker > wrote:
> On Mon, 04 May 2009 13:46:28 -0700, Serene Vannoy
>
> > wrote:
> >James Silverton wrote:

> >> It's just a matter of convenience. There's less bother if a brand of
> >> sauce pleases you but you might start with the paste if you intend to
> >> add your own herbs etc.

> Dang, I didn't know that. *I just tossed out the better part of a can
> of tomato paste after using a couple tablespoons to thicken a sauce.
>
> Never again.

Really. Tomato juice reconsituted from paste is decent, especially
made with less water than is in standard juice. Use Contadina or a
store brand knockoff, and it's better than the "from concentrate"
canned stuff.

--Bryan listen @ http://www.MySpace.com/TheBonobos

"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Leftover tomato paste in a can freezes just fine. There is no reason at
> all to waste it!

What I do is put the paste in a zip-loc and freeze it flat. Makes it
easy to break off what ya need.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Yep. We even make our own tomato juice from paste
> Serene

How much water for how much paste, Serene?
-B
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob® wrote:
> On May 4, 3:46 pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:

>> Yep. We even make our own tomato juice from paste now (we buy paste with
>> no spices), since the day we noticed that all the tomato juice we were
>> buying was from concentrate anyway.

> The Wal Mart brand is "not from concentrate." It's cheap, and tastes
> good, at least as good as canned tomato juice can taste.

I am so surprised that you shop at Wal-mart.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
>> Yep. We even make our own tomato juice from paste
>> Serene

> How much water for how much paste, Serene?

Depends on the brand of tomato paste. The Costco organic tomato paste is
really thick, so it takes six cans of water per can of paste, and then
about ten grams (more to taste) of salt. Other brands we've bought have
been more like four to one.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> Yep. We even make our own tomato juice from paste

> How much water for how much paste?

Same as when you reconstitute frozen OJ... two cans water, one can vodka.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 9:35*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> Food Snob® wrote:
> > On May 4, 3:46 pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> >> Yep. We even make our own tomato juice from paste now (we buy paste with
> >> no spices), since the day we noticed that all the tomato juice we were
> >> buying was from concentrate anyway.

> > The Wal Mart brand is "not from concentrate." *It's cheap, and tastes
> > good, at least as good as canned tomato juice can taste.

> I am so surprised that you shop at Wal-mart.

If the competition is not as morally bad, they're just about as bad.
When I notice that I'm out of eggs, milk, half&half, or the like, and
it's 6:15am, I run up to WalMart, which is 3 or 4 blocks away. Their
canned tomato juice is pretty good.
The other things I buy from them are their generic "Equate" brand
antihistamines and such.

> Serene

--Bryan listen @ http://www.MySpace.com/TheBonobos

"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> >
> >> Yep. We even make our own tomato juice from paste
> >> Serene

> > How much water for how much paste, Serene?

> Depends on the brand of tomato paste. The Costco organic tomato paste is
> really thick, so it takes six cans of water per can of paste,

OK. Good to know that. Thanks.
I keep tomato powder around when I want to add a bit of tomato flavor to
vegetable soup or when I make stroganoff. (Hush, Wictor!!)

> Other brands we've bought have been more like four to one.

> Serene

Thanks. It sounds like you figured it out by trial and error.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 May 2009 05:23:55 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob®
> wrote:

>If the competition is not as morally bad, they're just about as bad.
>When I notice that I'm out of eggs, milk, half&half, or the like, and
>it's 6:15am, I run up to WalMart, which is 3 or 4 blocks away

Convenience means a lot. I don't know if I could maintain my moral
superiority if a Walmart was closer to me than an alternate store.

Sad note on the home front. Apparently Walgreen's is buying out all
Rite Aide locations here in the City which means less choice for us.
According to a store employee, the transaction was held up by the
Federal Trade Commission for a while to investigate "monopoly", which
it will be here in SF. Walgreen's drove out most of the mom and pop
drugstores, Rite Aide and Thrifty drove out the rest. Rite Aide
bought Thrifty locally and now Walgreen's is gobbling up Rite Aide. I
call no local competition a monopoly, but I guess the FTC bought
another argument.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> >I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
> > that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
> > just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make much
> > difference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and cannot
> > believe that I never noticed this before.

Formulas change over time.

> You obviously have not been reading labels carefully... with just about
> every product that contains tomato the tomato is reconstitued tomato
> paste/concentrate... all tomato sauce, all tomato juice, all ketchup, even
> Heinz. *This the only reasonable method for maintaining product consistancy.

I started low carbing back in July 1999. At that time I read the
labels of various brands of tomato paste. Contadina was made
of tomatos and nothing else. All the other brands that I
checked (Hunts, Heinz, a couple of store brands) at that time
had added sugar under one name or another. I checked brands
again several years later and then all of them contained no
added sugar.

This same pattern of formulas changing over time happens with
all sorts of other products as well. Once I found Carefree
sugarless gum that used saccharine instead of aspartame. I
have not seen it again since. Diet RC Cola has also gone through
various formulas with and without caffeine, with various artificial
sweeteners all while Diet Rite made by the same company has
stayed caffeine free and made with sucralose.

Let's see if I have it right with tomato products:

Tomatoes - The plant complete with seeds and fiber.

Tomato juice - Liquid not concentrated with the seeds and
fiber removed. Likely to have gone through a concentration
of removing water then having the water added back.

Tomato sauce - More concentrated than juice, less water.
Still flows freely.

Tomato paste - More concentrated still. A jell rather than
a liquid. Paste can be concentrated so much it can be
squeezed from a tube like toothpaste.

Juice, sauce and paste can be converted to each other by
adding or removing water. If other ingredients are added
that stops being true. I have no idea what this does to
trace mineral contents.

Make tomato sauce into spagetti sauce by adding garlic
and other spices and it can no longer be converted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
"brooklyn1" > wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> >I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
> > that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
> > just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make much
> > difference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and cannot
> > believe that I never noticed this before.

Formulas change over time.

The USDA dictates what is permitted in tomato paste, last I checked it
hasn't changed since 1977.

> You obviously have not been reading labels carefully... with just about
> every product that contains tomato the tomato is reconstitued tomato
> paste/concentrate... all tomato sauce, all tomato juice, all ketchup, even
> Heinz. This the only reasonable method for maintaining product
> consistancy.

I started low carbing back in July 1999. At that time I read the
labels of various brands of tomato paste. Contadina was made
of tomatos and nothing else.

Well, that has not a whit to do with the fact that most all products
containing tomatoes employ tomato paste/concentrate.

All tomato products contain carbs, in the form of natural sugar. Most
brands of tomato paste contain only tomatoes. Some contain ascorbic acid
as a preservative, some add salt, none add carbs. And some do contain
spices, but even Contadina makes a version that contains spices.

http://www.contadina.com/ProductCate...Tomato%20Paste

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Let's see if I have it right with tomato products:
>
> Tomatoes - The plant complete with seeds and fiber.
>
> Tomato juice - Liquid not concentrated with the seeds and
> fiber removed. Likely to have gone through a concentration
> of removing water then having the water added back.
>
> Tomato sauce - More concentrated than juice, less water.
> Still flows freely.
>
> Tomato paste - More concentrated still. A jell rather than
> a liquid. Paste can be concentrated so much it can be
> squeezed from a tube like toothpaste.
>
> Juice, sauce and paste can be converted to each other by
> adding or removing water. If other ingredients are added
> that stops being true. I have no idea what this does to
> trace mineral contents.
>
> Make tomato sauce into spagetti sauce by adding garlic
> and other spices and it can no longer be converted.

There's also Tomato puree which is like a thinned paste and a product
with great utility value since regular tomato sauce is generally too
thin and paste will usually have to be diluted when used. This stuff is
probably not available everywhere - at least, I've never heard of it
until it popped up on the local Safeway shelve recently.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
dsi1 > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > Leftover tomato paste in a can freezes just fine. There is no reason at
> > all to waste it!

> What I do is put the paste in a zip-loc and freeze it flat. Makes it
> easy to break off what ya need.

I like that idea.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote:
> "Doug Freyburger" > wrote:
>
> > I started low carbing back in July 1999. *At that time I read the
> > labels of various brands of tomato paste. *Contadina was made
> > of tomatos and nothing else.

> All tomato products contain carbs, in the form of natural sugar.

I'm aware that many people can't tell natural sugar versus
added sugar and thus don't understand what it means when
"corn syrup" or "high fructose sweetener" or "maltodextrin"
appears on a label compared to natural sugars appearing
in the nutritional analysis because it grew that way on the
plant. Nonetheless the 1999 can labels said what they
said and they did list corn syrup in several brands of
tomato paste. I restricted myself to Contadina brand
until a friend pointe dout to me that the formulas had
changed again.

> Most brands of *tomato paste contain only tomatoes.

Now unlike 1999. The market has pressured companies to
improve their formulas IMO.

> Some contain ascorbic acid
> as a preservative, some add salt, none add carbs. *And some do contain
> spices, but even Contadina makes a version that contains spices.
>
> http://www.contadina.com/ProductCate...Tomato%20Paste

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Let's see if I have it right with tomato products:

Bunch of snips within the following list
> Tomatoes -
> Tomato juice -
>
> Tomato sauce -
> Tomato paste -

Don't forget crushed tomatoes and tomato puree.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>

>> Let's see if I have it right with tomato products:

> Bunch of snips within the following list
>> Tomatoes -
>> Tomato juice -
>>
>> Tomato sauce -
>> Tomato paste -

> Don't forget crushed tomatoes and tomato puree.

There are some who dilute Heinz ketchup for everything... if you dilute
Heinz ketchup with vodka what do you have? A Bloody Hinney! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Don't forget crushed tomatoes and tomato puree.

Expanding the list to ones that can't be converted to
each other I'd also add sun dried tomato or dried at
home in a dehydrator. Once I someone who a sheet
rather like the dehydrated fruit sheets - I didn't ask
if it was purchased or home made.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Sad note on the home front. Apparently Walgreen's is buying out all
> Rite Aide locations here in the City which means less choice for us.
> According to a store employee, the transaction was held up by the
> Federal Trade Commission for a while to investigate "monopoly", which
> it will be here in SF. Walgreen's drove out most of the mom and pop
> drugstores, Rite Aide and Thrifty drove out the rest. Rite Aide
> bought Thrifty locally and now Walgreen's is gobbling up Rite Aide. I
> call no local competition a monopoly, but I guess the FTC bought
> another argument.

Rite Aid locally bought out the Brooks chain. I wonder if Walgreens is
buying all of Rite Aid. They've certainly grabbed a lo to them so far.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2009/03/...oubled-rivals/