Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What temperature range does your oven have?

Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
can your oven do?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
> to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
> braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
> But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
> warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
> 170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
> it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
> can your oven do?

Stay around 80 to 85 degrees for proofing dough simply by leaving the light
on.
:-)

Well most ovens will do the same.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
> to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
> braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
> But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
> warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
> 170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
> it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
> can your oven do?

About the same. A two-year-old GE smooth top range. I'll bet it's
hotter than 550 when it's in the cleaning cycle.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit > wrote:
> But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
> warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
> 170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
> it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
> can your oven do?

That's pretty much the standard range on modern electronically
controlled ovens. Mine comes on at 170F. The self-cleaning cycle
certainly goes higher than 550F, but you don't get to cook
at those temps.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:

> Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
> to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
> braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
> But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
> warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
> 170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
> it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
> can your oven do?

Same here, 170-550. 170 = holding food for late guests and drying
desiccant packs, 550 = pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
> to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
> braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
> But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
> warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
> 170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
> it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
> can your oven do?

Ours is the same, as far as the temperature range. It's a Hotpoint gas,
though. I sometimes use the 170F for warming plates.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:51:01 -0400, Kajikit >
wrote:

>Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
>to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
>braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
>But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
>warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
>170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
>it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
>can your oven do?

Interesting. It looks like the temperature range is standard... I
didn't know that but it makes sense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Kajikit > wrote:
>
>> Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
>> to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
>> braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
>> But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
>> warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
>> 170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
>> it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
>> can your oven do?

> About the same. A two-year-old GE smooth top range. I'll bet it's
> hotter than 550 when it's in the cleaning cycle.

Probably like 900ºF... that's why you should remove the wire racks or
they'll be ruined.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote on Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:51:01 -0400:

> Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it
> defaults to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for
> spareribs/slow braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast
> chicken) and 450 (pizza). But last night I turned the
> thermostat down as far as it could go to warm the oven for my
> yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to 170F! And
> being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
> it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So
> what can your oven do?

Default 350F, lowest 170, highest 550. I think that's pretty normal for
an electric self-cleaning oven. I've never cooked at more than the 500
that I use for salt-roasted salmon.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
> to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
> braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
> But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
> warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
> 170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
> it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
> can your oven do?

100 degrees F. to 550 degrees F.
I bought that killer gas range that Consumer Reports rated as their top
choice last year. I love, love, LOVE it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
>to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
>braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
>But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
>warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
>170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
>it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
>can your oven do?

50°C to 280°C (122°F to 536°F). Not self-cleaning (for self cleaning
cycle you need approx 500°C, i.e. 932°F). Your 550°F is perfect for
pizza :-)

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
> to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
> braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
> But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
> warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
> 170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
> it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
> can your oven do?

Honestly the bottom end of my dial reads 150. There's quite a bit of space
between 150 and off however. I've tested it down to 130 sustained. I don't
know what good that would be other than food poisoning, but it'll go there.

Mine only goes up to 500.

Yours, being self cleaning, would most likely lock the door and get up to a
blistering 900 or so in that mode.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:51:01 -0400, Kajikit >
> wrote:
>
>>Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
>>to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
>>braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
>>But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
>>warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
>>170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
>>it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
>>can your oven do?

> Interesting. It looks like the temperature range is standard... I
> didn't know that but it makes sense.

Older electric ovens went down to 140 IIRC. I know the one I have here is
30 years old and it goes down to 150. I'll post pictures to prove it.

Some food safety ass decided that we didn't need to hold our food at a safe
temperature of 145, so they upped the standard to 170.
I dread the day I ever have to use one of those.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote on Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:00:17 -0400:

> "Kajikit" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:51:01 -0400, Kajikit >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it
>>> defaults to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for
>>> spareribs/slow braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast
>>> chicken) and 450 (pizza). But last night I turned the
>>> thermostat down as far as it could go to warm the oven for
>>> my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to 170F! And
>>> being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
>>> it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
>>> can your oven do?

>> Interesting. It looks like the temperature range is
>> standard... I didn't know that but it makes sense.

> Older electric ovens went down to 140 IIRC. I know the one I have
> here is 30 years old and it goes down to 150. I'll post pictures to
> prove it.

> Some food safety ass decided that we didn't need to hold our
> food at a safe temperature of 145, so they upped the standard to 170.
> I dread the day I ever have to use one of those.

i don't know how I could hold a temperature of less than 170F since that
is the lowest value my digital control will display.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
> to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
> braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
> But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
> warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
> 170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
> it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
> can your oven do?

Me GE built in will not set below 170F for baking, but does have a
warm/proof setting (not just the light bulb!). I do not know how warm on
the warm setting as I have only used it once. The difference between warm
and proof is the proof gets the convection fan also. The high setting limit
is 550F. The thing that is weird about the new ovens is how long they take
to preheat. I have learned to start the oven preheating with plenty of time
(15 Minutes).

Later,

Dalep

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> So what
>can your oven do?

My answer will NOT change your life? Next question...what are you
trying to accomplish?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"brooklyn1" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > About the same. A two-year-old GE smooth top range. I'll bet it's
> > hotter than 550 when it's in the cleaning cycle.
> >

> Probably like 900ºF... that's why you should remove the wire racks or
> they'll be ruined.

I leave mine in and they are not ruined. The only thing that happens is
that they don't slide readily on the guides and that is easily remedied
with a light schmear of oil on the bottom of the rack.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"What you say about someone else says more
about you than it does about the other person."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:36:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>a light schmear of oil on the bottom of the rack.

PAM for grills works wonders.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:36:47 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> a light schmear of oil on the bottom of the rack.

> PAM for grills works wonders.

It doesn't cause a smoking problem when you crank the oven up...?

I set off the smoke detector today when I had the roast in at 500
degrees, LOL.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> TFM® wrote on Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:00:17 -0400:
>

>> "Kajikit" > wrote in message

>>> Interesting. It looks like the temperature range is
>>> standard... I didn't know that but it makes sense.

>> Older electric ovens went down to 140 IIRC. I know the one I have here
>> is 30 years old and it goes down to 150. I'll post pictures to prove it.

>> Some food safety ass decided that we didn't need to hold our
>> food at a safe temperature of 145, so they upped the standard to 170. I
>> dread the day I ever have to use one of those.

> i don't know how I could hold a temperature of less than 170F since that
> is the lowest value my digital control will display.

I have a knob inscribed with numbers. Do you remember changing channels as
a child? Knobs rule.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

> I have a knob inscribed with numbers. Do you remember changing channels
> as a child? Knobs rule.
>
> TFM®

Ahhhh.. I sure do miss the days of knob AM radios in cars. At night you
could tune in stations a thousand miles away.. and the music was always
so smoooth late at night.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:59:59 -0400, TFM®
> wrote:
>
>I have a knob inscribed with numbers. Do you remember changing channels as
>a child? Knobs rule.

My oven has knobs too. Ovens are supposed to be simple and I want to
keep mine as simple as possible (as long as it's self-cleaning, of
course).

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 22 Apr 2009 06:59:59p, TFM® told us...

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>> TFM® wrote on Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:00:17 -0400:

>>> Older electric ovens went down to 140 IIRC. I know the one I have
>>> here is 30 years old and it goes down to 150. I'll post pictures to
>>> prove it.

>>> Some food safety ass decided that we didn't need to hold our
>>> food at a safe temperature of 145, so they upped the standard to 170.
>>> I dread the day I ever have to use one of those.

>> i don't know how I could hold a temperature of less than 170F since
>> that is the lowest value my digital control will display.

> I have a knob inscribed with numbers. Do you remember changing channels
> as a child? Knobs rule.
>
> TFM®

My electric range has a digital temperature setting which ranges from 150-
575°F. I would have been just as happy with a knob, but that's what came
with our appliance package.

--
Wayne Boatwright
I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead ~not sick, not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
>it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
>can your oven do?

my LaCanche does 590F, a main reason for vgetting it.
--
Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:33:31 +0100, Mike > wrote:

>my LaCanche does 590F, a main reason for vgetting it.

(not a cleaning cycle, which I see some temps are)
--
Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:24:47 -0400, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>Next question...what are you
>trying to accomplish?

cooking things quickly?
--
Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit > wrote in
:

> Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
> to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
> braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
> But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
> warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
> 170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
> it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... So what
> can your oven do?

Mine doesn't have a self-cleaning function - those are exorbitantly
expensive here, and not that common I don't think.

The oven dial goes from 50C (122F) to 270C (518F)

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> TFM® wrote:
>
>> I have a knob inscribed with numbers. Do you remember changing
>> channels as a child? Knobs rule.
>>
>> TFM®

> Ahhhh.. I sure do miss the days of knob AM radios in cars. At night you
> could tune in stations a thousand miles away.. and the music was always
> so smoooth late at night.

Ack! I miss knobs in a number of contexts. Radio. Car
temperature... Bring back the knobs!!!!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike wrote on Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:33:31 +0100:

>> And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the
>> spectrum it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm
>> impressed... So what can your oven do?

> my LaCanche does 590F, a main reason for vgetting it.

For interest, what do you cook at 590F?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:27:09 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>> my LaCanche does 590F, a main reason for vgetting it.

>For interest, what do you cook at 590F?

i like to cook fish very quickly at high temerature, I'm fairly sure
pro chefs use high temps for quite a lot. No doubt it would be good
for baked alaska? But isnt it mainly a bit of cooks willy waving :-)
--
Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 22, 11:51*am, Kajikit > wrote:
> Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
> to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow
> braises), 350 (cookies, cake), 400 (roast chicken) and 450 (pizza).
> But last night I turned the thermostat down as far as it could go to
> warm the oven for my yoghurt-making, and it goes all the way down to
> 170F! And being a self-cleaning oven, at the other end of the spectrum
> it goes all the way up to a blazing 550F! I'm impressed... *So what
> can your oven do?

I think my Bosch will go from 100 to somewhere above 500. I haven't
really investigated anything above 500, and their web site is so
annoying
I haven't the patience to go look. It's got a lot of fancy stuff I'll
never use,
like "proofing", "Sabbath mode", and some others. I use the warming
drawer to store the broiler pan; if I want things warmed I usually set
the oven on 140 or so. I don't use the oven terribly often, but I
like
the jet-engine cooktop burners.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit > wrote:
> Just curious... when you turn our Maytag electric oven on it defaults
> to 350F and my usual cooking range is 300 (for spareribs/slow

I forgot to mention that when I turn my oven on it says 000 and
stays there until I turn the temperature adjust knob, then it
goes to 170 as the first step. If you don't turn the knob and
set a temperature it doesn't heat up. This seems like a much
better idea than defaulting to 350 or something. The button could
get pressed accidentally, but as long as no one sets the temperature
it doesn't heat up or consume a bunch of electricity.

Note that I didn't choose this oven, it was in the house when I
bought the place, so any features it has are not something I looked
for. And, it hasn't had the good grace to fail so I can
buy something new and sexy.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>> TFM® wrote:
>>
>>> I have a knob inscribed with numbers. Do you remember changing
>>> channels as a child? Knobs rule.
>>>
>>> TFM®

>> Ahhhh.. I sure do miss the days of knob AM radios in cars. At night
>> you could tune in stations a thousand miles away.. and the music was
>> always so smoooth late at night.

> Ack! I miss knobs in a number of contexts. Radio. Car
> temperature... Bring back the knobs!!!!

The last time I bought a car, the dashboard lit up like a 747. Egads,
what in the world are all these buttons for anyway, I just wanted to
listen to music. <sigh>

Here's some good music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgFqv...eature=related

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote on Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:13:18 -0500:

> The last time I bought a car, the dashboard lit up like a 747.
> Egads, what in the world are all these buttons for anyway, I just
> wanted to listen to music. <sigh>

You just can't win! Some cars have knobs but the increments produced by
turning are digital.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Becca wrote on Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:13:18 -0500:
>
>> The last time I bought a car, the dashboard lit up like a 747.
>> Egads, what in the world are all these buttons for anyway, I just
>> wanted to listen to music. <sigh>

> You just can't win! Some cars have knobs but the increments produced by
> turning are digital.

Yes!!!!! That is not what I want either.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> TFM® wrote:
>
> > I have a knob inscribed with numbers. Do you remember changing channels
> > as a child? Knobs rule.
> >
> > TFM®

> Ahhhh.. I sure do miss the days of knob AM radios in cars. At night you
> could tune in stations a thousand miles away.. and the music was always
> so smoooth late at night.

We have satellite radio today, you can tun in a station thousands of
miles away anytime.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
> Goomba wrote:

>> Ahhhh.. I sure do miss the days of knob AM radios in cars. At night
>> you could tune in stations a thousand miles away.. and the music was
>> always so smoooth late at night.

> We have satellite radio today, you can tun in a station thousands of
> miles away anytime.

Trick is, don't tell anyone you have it. Drives them crazy you pay
for radio.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > Goomba wrote:

> >> Ahhhh.. I sure do miss the days of knob AM radios in cars. At night
> >> you could tune in stations a thousand miles away.. and the music was
> >> always so smoooth late at night.

And why can't you still do that? The way AM works, the signal travels a
long way at night. Unless those stations are gone (which is possible),
you should still be able to do that.

> > We have satellite radio today, you can tun in a station thousands of
> > miles away anytime.

> Trick is, don't tell anyone you have it. Drives them crazy you pay
> for radio.

Yeah, why would anybody pay for radio?

:-)

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote on Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:14:24 -0400:

> Pete C. wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:

>>> Ahhhh.. I sure do miss the days of knob AM radios in cars.
>>> At night you could tune in stations a thousand miles away.. and the
>>> music was always so smoooth late at night.

>> We have satellite radio today, you can tun in a station
>> thousands of miles away anytime.

> Trick is, don't tell anyone you have it. Drives them crazy
> you pay for radio.

It's voluntary but a lot of us do just that by contributing to one or
more PBS station. They do have some commercial sponsors but the messages
are short.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> Trick is, don't tell anyone you have it. Drives them crazy you pay
>> for radio.

> Yeah, why would anybody pay for radio?
>
> :-)

Tee hee. That would be silly.