Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default About soy sauce . . . .???

Due to a particular mishap**, I have to clear out my walk-in pantry,
which also doubles as a coat closet. While doing so, I discovered a
nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. I haven't
yet gotten the gumption to pour out a little bit for a "look-see,
scent/smell, etc."-type test. Do y'all think this soy sauce is still
usable after so long? The ambient temperature in the pantry has
remained fairly constant over the seasons - anywhere from 60F to 82F.
Fermentation is supposed to be good, yes <G>?!

Sky

** Mishap = can/tin of something (consomme?) busted and leaked on/down
several shelves in the pantry, working with gravity. Clean,
sand/de-gloss, prime & paint are due (ugh!).

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky > wrote:

>Due to a particular mishap**, I have to clear out my walk-in pantry,
>which also doubles as a coat closet. While doing so, I discovered a
>nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
>some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
>If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. I haven't
>yet gotten the gumption to pour out a little bit for a "look-see,
>scent/smell, etc."-type test. Do y'all think this soy sauce is still
>usable after so long? The ambient temperature in the pantry has
>remained fairly constant over the seasons - anywhere from 60F to 82F.
>Fermentation is supposed to be good, yes <G>?!

The shelf life of Kikkoman is stated as three years.

I suspect it's probably still good, and I certainly would not
hesitate to slurp down a teaspoon of it to see how it tastes.
If you do this in direct comparison to a recent bottle of
Kikkoman as a control, you will gain a really good idea of
whether you want to use it.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 6:53*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Due to a particular mishap**, I have to clear out my walk-in pantry,
> which also doubles as a coat closet. *While doing so, I discovered a
> nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
> some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
> If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. *I haven't
> yet gotten the gumption to pour out a little bit for a "look-see,
> scent/smell, etc."-type test. *Do y'all think this soy sauce is still
> usable after so long? *The ambient temperature in the pantry has
> remained fairly constant over the seasons - anywhere from 60F to 82F.
> Fermentation is supposed to be good, yes <G>?!

I don't think that soy sauce goes bad. I've never thrown it out.

> Sky
>
> ** Mishap = can/tin of something (consomme?) busted and leaked on/down
> several shelves in the pantry, working with gravity. *Clean,
> sand/de-gloss, prime & paint are due (ugh!).

--Bryan, aka Bobo Bonobo http://www.TheBonobos.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Due to a particular mishap**, I have to clear out my walk-in pantry,
> which also doubles as a coat closet. While doing so, I discovered a
> nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
> some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
> If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. I haven't
> yet gotten the gumption to pour out a little bit for a "look-see,
> scent/smell, etc."-type test. Do y'all think this soy sauce is still
> usable after so long? The ambient temperature in the pantry has
> remained fairly constant over the seasons - anywhere from 60F to 82F.
> Fermentation is supposed to be good, yes <G>?!
>
> Sky

What is the shelf life of different types of Chinese sauce? It varies,
depending on the type of sauce and even the specific brand. Properly stored,
all sauces should have a shelf life of at least three months.

What are the main signs that a sauce is starting to go bad?

In general, a change in flavor and/or color is the first indication that a
sauce is beginning to lose its freshness. For more specific tips, I turned
to the experts. Sandra Gin of Asian Family Products offers the following
advice on refrigerated sauce: "I suggest that once the sauce lid is opened,
you should always refrigerate the sauce instead of leaving the sauce out on
the kitchen counter top where warm conditions can easily form bacteria. If
the sauce is refrigerated, the oyster sauce or hoisin sauce can be kept for
up to 3-6 months. Obviously, the sooner you can consume the sauce, the
better it is and the less likely bacteria will build inside the sauce. Some
signs you can look for sauces going bad include the formation of bacteria
(white or green fuzzy ball), water separated from the thickening agents
binding the sauce, and a bad sauce odor."

When it comes to soy sauce, I received the following advice from the
Consumer Department at Kikkoman. While the comments refer specifically to
Kikkoman soy sauce, in general they should be applicable to other soy sauce
brands:
"For the freshest tasting sauce, we recommend using Kikkoman Soy Sauce
within three to six months after opening. The sauce is still safe to use
beyond this time but the quality may not be at its best. Once opened, the
freshness and flavor of the sauce will slowly deteriorate. Therefore, we
also recommend refrigerating the soy sauce after opening. Refrigeration
helps the flavor and quality characteristics remain at their peak for a
longer period. In addition, our soy sauce will not spoil if it is not
refrigerated but its quality will decline faster.

A fresh bottle of Kikkoman Soy Sauce should have a piquant flavor and
reddish-brown color. When opened and exposed to air, naturally brewed soy
sauce will darken and become stronger in flavor and aroma over time. This is
the result of oxidation. Although this is not harmful in any way, it will
cause the quality to decline. With an older bottle, the sauce may appear
darker in color and have a strong, heavier taste. We believe the flavor of
our soy sauce is at its peak when the bottle is first opened."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 4:53*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Due to a particular mishap**, I have to clear out my walk-in pantry,
> which also doubles as a coat closet. *While doing so, I discovered a
> nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
> some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
> If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. *I haven't
> yet gotten the gumption to pour out a little bit for a "look-see,
> scent/smell, etc."-type test. *Do y'all think this soy sauce is still
> usable after so long? *The ambient temperature in the pantry has
> remained fairly constant over the seasons - anywhere from 60F to 82F.
> Fermentation is supposed to be good, yes <G>?!
> [snip]

Is the gallon tin unopened, or does "nearly full" mean it was opened
and some of it poured out? If it were unopened I'd have little
hesitancy in tasting, testing and using it. But I have no experience
with soy sauce that's been hanging out "for some years." I'd still
want to give it a chance, but I'd be cautious. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> What is the shelf life of different types of Chinese sauce? It varies,
> depending on the type of sauce and even the specific brand. Properly
> stored, all sauces should have a shelf life of at least three months.

cut-and-pasted from http://chinesefood.about.com/od/sauces/f/storesauce.htm

How about proper attribution, PLAGIARIST?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Jill wrote:
>
> > What is the shelf life of different types of Chinese sauce? It varies,
> > depending on the type of sauce and even the specific brand. Properly
> > stored, all sauces should have a shelf life of at least three months.

> cut-and-pasted from http://chinesefood.about.com/od/sauces/f/storesauce.htm
>
> How about proper attribution, PLAGIARIST?
>
> Bob

I noticed, also.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 17, 8:11*pm, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Jill wrote:
> > What is the shelf life of different types of Chinese sauce? It varies,
> > depending on the type of sauce and even the specific brand. Properly
> > stored, all sauces should have a shelf life of at least three months.

> cut-and-pasted fromhttp://chinesefood.about.com/od/sauces/f/storesauce.htm
>
> How about proper attribution, PLAGIARIST?

I agree. If you use more than two or three of someone else's words,
attribute. I've had bottles of soy sauce sit in the back of the
cabinet at work for 5, 6, maybe 7 years, then used it. It was opened,
but in a dark, pretty well temp controlled room. With all that salt,
nothing can grow in it.

> Bob

--Bryan, aka Bobo Bonobo http://www.TheBonobos.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

wrote:

> On Apr 17, 4:53 pm, Sky > wrote:
> > Due to a particular mishap**, I have to clear out my walk-in pantry,
> > which also doubles as a coat closet. While doing so, I discovered a
> > nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
> > some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
> > If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. I haven't
> > yet gotten the gumption to pour out a little bit for a "look-see,
> > scent/smell, etc."-type test. Do y'all think this soy sauce is still
> > usable after so long? The ambient temperature in the pantry has
> > remained fairly constant over the seasons - anywhere from 60F to 82F.
> > Fermentation is supposed to be good, yes <G>?!
> > [snip]

> Is the gallon tin unopened, or does "nearly full" mean it was opened
> and some of it poured out? If it were unopened I'd have little
> hesitancy in tasting, testing and using it. But I have no experience
> with soy sauce that's been hanging out "for some years." I'd still
> want to give it a chance, but I'd be cautious. -aem

Yes, the tin was opened years ago, and it has that funny plastic spout
in the top corner. Somehow, that gallon tin (of soy sauce) managed to
work its way to the very back of the pantry and had been abandoned for
some years. I'd rather not waste it if it's still consumable, and I
wanted to tap into the collective experience here about long-term
storage for soy sauce. I used to buy soy sauce in bulk because I was on
a kick making home-made beef jerky.

Sky, who tries to be cautious ;>

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 17, 4:53 pm, Sky > wrote:
> > > Due to a particular mishap**, I have to clear out my walk-in pantry,
> > > which also doubles as a coat closet. While doing so, I discovered a
> > > nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
> > > some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
> > > If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. I haven't
> > > yet gotten the gumption to pour out a little bit for a "look-see,
> > > scent/smell, etc."-type test. Do y'all think this soy sauce is still
> > > usable after so long? The ambient temperature in the pantry has
> > > remained fairly constant over the seasons - anywhere from 60F to 82F.
> > > Fermentation is supposed to be good, yes <G>?!
> > > [snip]

> > Is the gallon tin unopened, or does "nearly full" mean it was opened
> > and some of it poured out? If it were unopened I'd have little
> > hesitancy in tasting, testing and using it. But I have no experience
> > with soy sauce that's been hanging out "for some years." I'd still
> > want to give it a chance, but I'd be cautious. -aem

> Yes, the tin was opened years ago, and it has that funny plastic spout
> in the top corner. Somehow, that gallon tin (of soy sauce) managed to
> work its way to the very back of the pantry and had been abandoned for
> some years. I'd rather not waste it if it's still consumable, and I
> wanted to tap into the collective experience here about long-term
> storage for soy sauce. I used to buy soy sauce in bulk because I was on
> a kick making home-made beef jerky.

I've got the same gallon, probably 5 years old now, stored in my pantry
and dispensed now and then when I make something requiring it. So far it
has not killed me nor has it tasted odd.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Due to a particular mishap**, I have to clear out my walk-in pantry,
> which also doubles as a coat closet. While doing so, I discovered a
> nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
> some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
> If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. I haven't
> yet gotten the gumption to pour out a little bit for a "look-see,
> scent/smell, etc."-type test. Do y'all think this soy sauce is still
> usable after so long? The ambient temperature in the pantry has
> remained fairly constant over the seasons - anywhere from 60F to 82F.
> Fermentation is supposed to be good, yes <G>?!
>
> Sky

Soy Sauce is fermented and heavily salted.
I'm sure it's fine as long as there is no mold.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Pete C. wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> >
> > wrote:

> > > Is the gallon tin unopened, or does "nearly full" mean it was opened
> > > and some of it poured out? If it were unopened I'd have little
> > > hesitancy in tasting, testing and using it. But I have no experience
> > > with soy sauce that's been hanging out "for some years." I'd still
> > > want to give it a chance, but I'd be cautious. -aem

> > Yes, the tin was opened years ago, and it has that funny plastic spout
> > in the top corner. Somehow, that gallon tin (of soy sauce) managed to
> > work its way to the very back of the pantry and had been abandoned for
> > some years. I'd rather not waste it if it's still consumable, and I
> > wanted to tap into the collective experience here about long-term
> > storage for soy sauce. I used to buy soy sauce in bulk because I was on
> > a kick making home-made beef jerky.
> >

> I've got the same gallon, probably 5 years old now, stored in my pantry
> and dispensed now and then when I make something requiring it. So far it
> has not killed me nor has it tasted odd.

Thanks! Good to know

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>
>> Jill wrote:
>>
>> > What is the shelf life of different types of Chinese sauce? It varies,
>> > depending on the type of sauce and even the specific brand. Properly
>> > stored, all sauces should have a shelf life of at least three months.

>> cut-and-pasted from
>> http://chinesefood.about.com/od/sauces/f/storesauce.htm
>>
>> How about proper attribution, PLAGIARIST?
>>
>> Bob

> I noticed, also.
>
> Sky
>
> --

I didn't write half of what was posted there under my name or email. So
Plagarism and forgery is absolutely the case.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Due to a particular mishap**, I have to clear out my walk-in pantry,
> which also doubles as a coat closet. While doing so, I discovered a
> nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
> some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
> If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. I haven't
> yet gotten the gumption to pour out a little bit for a "look-see,
> scent/smell, etc."-type test. Do y'all think this soy sauce is still
> usable after so long? The ambient temperature in the pantry has
> remained fairly constant over the seasons - anywhere from 60F to 82F.
> Fermentation is supposed to be good, yes <G>?!

Only one way to know - cook with it. Make a dish for somebody you don't
like. If they live, it's OK.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "Sky" > wrote in message
> > Due to a particular mishap**, I have to clear out my walk-in pantry,
> > which also doubles as a coat closet. While doing so, I discovered a
> > nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
> > some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
> > If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. I haven't
> > yet gotten the gumption to pour out a little bit for a "look-see,
> > scent/smell, etc."-type test. Do y'all think this soy sauce is still
> > usable after so long? The ambient temperature in the pantry has
> > remained fairly constant over the seasons - anywhere from 60F to 82F.
> > Fermentation is supposed to be good, yes <G>?!

> Only one way to know - cook with it. Make a dish for somebody you don't
> like. If they live, it's OK.
>
> Paul

Hehehehe, now if only Spouse liked soy sauce (Spouse doesn't) and had a
large life insurance policy <VBEG>!!!! I like the suggestion, though in
a facetious manner of speaking

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 22:33:33 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>
>> "Sky" > wrote in message
>> > Due to a particular mishap**, I have to clear out my walk-in pantry,
>> > which also doubles as a coat closet. While doing so, I discovered a
>> > nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
>> > some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
>> > If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. I haven't
>> > yet gotten the gumption to pour out a little bit for a "look-see,
>> > scent/smell, etc."-type test. Do y'all think this soy sauce is still
>> > usable after so long? The ambient temperature in the pantry has
>> > remained fairly constant over the seasons - anywhere from 60F to 82F.
>> > Fermentation is supposed to be good, yes <G>?!

>> Only one way to know - cook with it. Make a dish for somebody you don't
>> like. If they live, it's OK.
>>
>> Paul

>Hehehehe, now if only Spouse liked soy sauce (Spouse doesn't) and had a
>large life insurance policy <VBEG>!!!! I like the suggestion, though in
>a facetious manner of speaking

I'm of the opinion that soy, like vinegar, won't go bad (well I guess
either could under unusual circumstances). I've have no experience
with "bad" soy nor have I ever heard of soy going bad.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 22:33:33 -0500, Sky >
> wrote:
>
>> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>> Only one way to know - cook with it. Make a dish for somebody you don't
>>> like. If they live, it's OK.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> Hehehehe, now if only Spouse liked soy sauce (Spouse doesn't) and had a
>> large life insurance policy <VBEG>!!!! I like the suggestion, though in
>> a facetious manner of speaking
>>

> I'm of the opinion that soy, like vinegar, won't go bad (well I guess
> either could under unusual circumstances). I've have no experience
> with "bad" soy nor have I ever heard of soy going bad.

We use a lot of soy sauce and buy it by the gallon at the restaurant
depot. We had an off jug once. It appeared to be just a little thicker
than it should be and maybe a little saltier if that's possible. It was
like sediment - if that's the right word.
We tossed it.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" wrote

> nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
> some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
> If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. I haven't

It will be fine. It is possible it has settled a bit so shake it a little.
Most of those 'use by' dates for this type of product are marketing schemes
to get you to buy more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Sky wrote:

> Due to a particular mishap**, I have to clear out my walk-in pantry,
> which also doubles as a coat closet. While doing so, I discovered a
> nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
> some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
> If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. I haven't
> yet gotten the gumption to pour out a little bit for a "look-see,
> scent/smell, etc."-type test. Do y'all think this soy sauce is still
> usable after so long? The ambient temperature in the pantry has
> remained fairly constant over the seasons - anywhere from 60F to 82F.
> Fermentation is supposed to be good, yes <G>?!
>
> Sky
>
> ** Mishap = can/tin of something (consomme?) busted and leaked on/down
> several shelves in the pantry, working with gravity. Clean,
> sand/de-gloss, prime & paint are due (ugh!).

Thanks for all the comments about the soy sauce, folks. I'll keep this
stuff and make a batch or few of beef jerky.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> >
> > Due to a particular mishap**, I have to clear out my walk-in pantry,
> > which also doubles as a coat closet. While doing so, I discovered a
> > nearly full gallon tin of Kikkoman Soy Sauce that had been hidden for
> > some years in the deep confines of said pantry back under the stairs.
> > If the soy sauce is still good, I'd rather not throw it away. I haven't
> > yet gotten the gumption to pour out a little bit for a "look-see,
> > scent/smell, etc."-type test. Do y'all think this soy sauce is still
> > usable after so long? The ambient temperature in the pantry has
> > remained fairly constant over the seasons - anywhere from 60F to 82F.
> > Fermentation is supposed to be good, yes <G>?!
> >
> > Sky
> >
> > ** Mishap = can/tin of something (consomme?) busted and leaked on/down
> > several shelves in the pantry, working with gravity. Clean,
> > sand/de-gloss, prime & paint are due (ugh!).

> Thanks for all the comments about the soy sauce, folks. I'll keep this
> stuff and make a batch or few of beef jerky.
>
> Sky

I use soy sauce (or teryaki) when I make jerky too. :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> "Sky" > wrote in message
>> Bob Terwilliger wrote:

>>> cut-and-pasted from
>>> http://chinesefood.about.com/od/sauces/f/storesauce.htm
>>>
>>> How about proper attribution, PLAGIARIST?
>>>
>>> Bob

>> I noticed, also.
>>
>> Sky
>>
>> --

> I didn't write half of what was posted there under my name or email. So
> Plagarism and forgery is absolutely the case.
>
> Jill

Yep.

-dk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

D wrote on Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:19:45 -0400:

> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I noticed, also.
>>>
>>> Sky
>>>
>>> --

>> I didn't write half of what was posted there under my name or
>> email. So Plagarism and forgery is absolutely the case.

What does it matter? I try to give sources for recipes that I post but I
go from my files and I have been known to be sloppy about noting the
sources. I don't get annoyed when my own recipes are posted unless
someone claims they are personal inventions.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland