Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Did you ever use Blackbean Garlic sauce Hoisin sauce and Hoisin sauce together

It worked great in 3:1 ratio to stiry fry 2 peices of medum size
chicken breast and 2/5 lb of Tiger Shrimp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:45:23 -0700, amandaF >
wrote:

>It worked great in 3:1 ratio to stiry fry 2 peices of medum size
>chicken breast and 2/5 lb of Tiger Shrimp.

I use fermented black beans, garlic and onions together. My chicken
marinade is hoisin, soy, garlic, ginger, onion..... and the secret
ingredient is chinese sesame oil. I wouldn't use either one with
shrimp.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
amandaF > wrote:

> It worked great in 3:1 ratio to stiry fry 2 peices of medum size
> chicken breast and 2/5 lb of Tiger Shrimp.

I'll have to look for that. It sounds interesting. I have Hoisin sauce,
Oyster sauce and Mushroom Shoyu that I've mixed in varying combos, but
not Black bean garlic sauce.

I add garlic and fresh ginger root separately for asian cuisine.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:45:23 -0700, amandaF >
> wrote:
>
> >It worked great in 3:1 ratio to stiry fry 2 peices of medum size
> >chicken breast and 2/5 lb of Tiger Shrimp.

> I use fermented black beans, garlic and onions together. My chicken
> marinade is hoisin, soy, garlic, ginger, onion..... and the secret
> ingredient is chinese sesame oil. I wouldn't use either one with
> shrimp.

I keep it simple for shrimp as well. Fry in Olive oil and butter, with
just a little bit of garlic and salt free lemon pepper.

Shrimp has enough of it's own flavor, it does not need much help. Just
minor flavor enhancers. ;-d

Sometimes I just steam it and use a hot lemon butter dip like I do with
crab.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 03:16:39 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>Mushroom Shoyu

What do you think of that stuff? I found it very salty and couldn't
discern a distinct mushroom flavor.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 03:16:39 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Mushroom Shoyu

> What do you think of that stuff? I found it very salty and couldn't
> discern a distinct mushroom flavor.
> --

Try a different brand. Just like 'plain' soy sauce they do vary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >, sf wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:45:23 -0700, amandaF >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>It worked great in 3:1 ratio to stiry fry 2 peices of medum size
>>>chicken breast and 2/5 lb of Tiger Shrimp.

>>I use fermented black beans, garlic and onions together. My chicken
>>marinade is hoisin, soy, garlic, ginger, onion..... and the secret
>>ingredient is chinese sesame oil. I wouldn't use either one with
>>shrimp.

> I keep it simple for shrimp as well. Fry in Olive oil and butter, with
> just a little bit of garlic and salt free lemon pepper.
>
> Shrimp has enough of it's own flavor, it does not need much help. Just
> minor flavor enhancers. ;-d
>
> Sometimes I just steam it and use a hot lemon butter dip like I do with
> crab.

I like great big shrimp peeled & deveined, basted with butter, lime
juice and garlic, then grilled. Yum.

I've also tried a quick brining - "taking them back to the sea" - as one
author expounded. It was actually pretty good. It added a little salt
to the flesh and gave the texture more "bite", like lobster. If you
plan to brine your shrimp use unsalted butter in your basting sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 03:16:39 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Mushroom Shoyu

> What do you think of that stuff? I found it very salty and couldn't
> discern a distinct mushroom flavor.

I find it has a richer flavor.
As for the saltiness, I just use it in limited quantities.

I have a small "braggs" spray bottle that I put it in. Being able to
squirt it like that really helps control the amount used better!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kathleen > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >, sf wrote:

> >>I use fermented black beans, garlic and onions together. My chicken
> >>marinade is hoisin, soy, garlic, ginger, onion..... and the secret
> >>ingredient is chinese sesame oil. I wouldn't use either one with
> >>shrimp.

> > I keep it simple for shrimp as well. Fry in Olive oil and butter, with
> > just a little bit of garlic and salt free lemon pepper.
> >
> > Shrimp has enough of it's own flavor, it does not need much help. Just
> > minor flavor enhancers. ;-d
> >
> > Sometimes I just steam it and use a hot lemon butter dip like I do with
> > crab.

> I like great big shrimp peeled & deveined, basted with butter, lime
> juice and garlic, then grilled. Yum.

Oh, drool!

> I've also tried a quick brining - "taking them back to the sea" - as one
> author expounded. It was actually pretty good. It added a little salt
> to the flesh and gave the texture more "bite", like lobster. If you
> plan to brine your shrimp use unsalted butter in your basting sauce.

When we cooked crab camping on the coast, we always did them in clean
sea water. To me, the meat tasted sweeter. Not sure why.

I may have to try boiling crab in salt water sometime here. I can look
up the salt percentage to use. I've forgotten what I used to use to
hatch brine shrimp for my Beta.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Kathleen > wrote:
>

>>Omelet wrote:

>>>I keep it simple for shrimp as well. Fry in Olive oil and butter, with
>>>just a little bit of garlic and salt free lemon pepper.
>>>
>>>Shrimp has enough of it's own flavor, it does not need much help. Just
>>>minor flavor enhancers. ;-d
>>>
>>>Sometimes I just steam it and use a hot lemon butter dip like I do with
>>>crab.

>>I like great big shrimp peeled & deveined, basted with butter, lime
>>juice and garlic, then grilled. Yum.

> Oh, drool!

Shrimp prepared this way is really, *really* fricken good.

Granted, the first time I made them this way was down in Puerto Penasco
(Mexico). We were there with our extended family over Easter. My mom,
my sister and I drove into town each day to purchase supplies for
dinner, and on Friday wound up in the middle of some sort of Holy Week
Cruise. There were posh pickups, decked out with every sort of bling,
Grandma and the little ones riding in lawn chairs in the back. There
were low riders bounding along, showing off their suspensions. There
were aged hatch backs packed chock-ablock with grownups, while the kids
rode in the open hatch. Stereo systems were cranked to the max.

So my sister tunes her minivan's radio to some sort of mexican rap and
cranks it up, she and I pull our hats down low and we cruise along with
everybody else. My teen-aged daughter, and my sister's teen-aged boy
were with us and they were absolutely mortified. Grandma couldn't stop
laughing.

A couple of days later the young-uns were acclimated enough that their
sense of humor had resurfaced. There was a mardi-gras atmosphere when
we went into town one evening. Some guys were hooting and hollering at
any female between the age of 6 and 60. When they called to my
daughter, Hey show us your chest, her cousin, Christopher, whipped
around and pulled his shirt up. It was a true Kodak moment.

>>I've also tried a quick brining - "taking them back to the sea" - as one
>>author expounded. It was actually pretty good. It added a little salt
>>to the flesh and gave the texture more "bite", like lobster. If you
>>plan to brine your shrimp use unsalted butter in your basting sauce.

> When we cooked crab camping on the coast, we always did them in clean
> sea water. To me, the meat tasted sweeter. Not sure why.
>
> I may have to try boiling crab in salt water sometime here. I can look
> up the salt percentage to use. I've forgotten what I used to use to
> hatch brine shrimp for my Beta.

I use a solution less salty than actual sea water - more like tears.
which is easy to judge by taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kathleen > wrote:

> Shrimp prepared this way is really, *really* fricken good.

The last couple of times I grilled shrimp, I marinated them in Italian
Salad dressing. ;-) Skewered with mushrooms and zucchini.

http://tinypic.com/2vmueww.jpg

> Granted, the first time I made them this way was down in Puerto Penasco
> (Mexico). We were there with our extended family over Easter. My mom,
> my sister and I drove into town each day to purchase supplies for
> dinner, and on Friday wound up in the middle of some sort of Holy Week
> Cruise. There were posh pickups, decked out with every sort of bling,
> Grandma and the little ones riding in lawn chairs in the back. There
> were low riders bounding along, showing off their suspensions. There
> were aged hatch backs packed chock-ablock with grownups, while the kids
> rode in the open hatch. Stereo systems were cranked to the max.
>
> So my sister tunes her minivan's radio to some sort of mexican rap and
> cranks it up, she and I pull our hats down low and we cruise along with
> everybody else. My teen-aged daughter, and my sister's teen-aged boy
> were with us and they were absolutely mortified. Grandma couldn't stop
> laughing.
>
> A couple of days later the young-uns were acclimated enough that their
> sense of humor had resurfaced. There was a mardi-gras atmosphere when
> we went into town one evening. Some guys were hooting and hollering at
> any female between the age of 6 and 60. When they called to my
> daughter, Hey show us your chest, her cousin, Christopher, whipped
> around and pulled his shirt up. It was a true Kodak moment.

<lol> Fun story!

<snipped>

> > I may have to try boiling crab in salt water sometime here. I can look
> > up the salt percentage to use. I've forgotten what I used to use to
> > hatch brine shrimp for my Beta.

> I use a solution less salty than actual sea water - more like tears.
> which is easy to judge by taste.

Got it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:58:21 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 03:16:39 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Mushroom Shoyu

>> What do you think of that stuff? I found it very salty and couldn't
>> discern a distinct mushroom flavor.
>> --

>Try a different brand. Just like 'plain' soy sauce they do vary.

Not sure if I dare try another brand. This one was shockingly
expensive for soy sauce.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:48:49 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>When we cooked crab camping on the coast, we always did them in clean
>sea water. To me, the meat tasted sweeter. Not sure why.

My method for raw shrimp (not cooked on the beach) is to soak for a
short time (5 max) in lightly acidulated water, rinse and then soak in
salted water for another 5 - 10 minutes. Yummy!
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:58:21 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
> >

> >sf wrote:

> >> What do you think of that stuff? I found it very salty and couldn't
> >> discern a distinct mushroom flavor.
> >> --

> >Try a different brand. Just like 'plain' soy sauce they do vary.

> Not sure if I dare try another brand. This one was shockingly
> expensive for soy sauce.

Hm. I honestly don't remember what I paid at the Asian market last time,
but I bought a 500 ml. bottle. It's lasted me a good 2 years so far. ;-)

I don't recall it being particularly expensive.

There are usually a huge variety of asian sauces at a good asian
supermarket, and they are considerably less expensive than they are at
the grocery store.

Might want to explore that if you are able?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:48:49 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
> >
> >When we cooked crab camping on the coast, we always did them in clean
> >sea water. To me, the meat tasted sweeter. Not sure why.

> My method for raw shrimp (not cooked on the beach) is to soak for a
> short time (5 max) in lightly acidulated water, rinse and then soak in
> salted water for another 5 - 10 minutes. Yummy!

Acidulated water? Lemon or vinegar?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>When we cooked crab camping on the coast, we always did them in clean
>sea water. To me, the meat tasted sweeter. Not sure why.
>
>I may have to try boiling crab in salt water sometime here. I can look
>up the salt percentage to use. I've forgotten what I used to use to
>hatch brine shrimp for my Beta.

i live in maryland, so i'm only familiar with blues, not the brutish
dungeness or other freak species. steaming, not boiling, is the way
to go. usually a mixture of beer and water is used. seasonings are
sprinkled over the crabs over the water.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:58:21 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
> >

> >sf wrote:

> >> What do you think of that stuff? I found it very salty and couldn't
> >> discern a distinct mushroom flavor.
> >> --

> >Try a different brand. Just like 'plain' soy sauce they do vary.

> Not sure if I dare try another brand. This one was shockingly
> expensive for soy sauce.

Yes that is a drawback!