Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Funny Restaurant Names?

Funny Restaurant Names?

We all have seen them. Some for better, some for worse. A grin/groan thing.

I saw a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives food TV show and one segment showcased...

"Juan in a Million"

A town favorite Mexican cuisine place. LOL!

Yours?

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote on Sat, 11 Apr 2009 12:29:29 -0500:

> We all have seen them. Some for better, some for worse. A
> grin/groan thing.

> I saw a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives food TV show and one
> segment showcased...

> "Juan in a Million"

> A town favorite Mexican cuisine place. LOL!

There's a local Central American place that calls itself "El Dinero". I
always thought "dinero" was money. Thai places can come up with some
interesting words. I've seen "Tum Nark Thai" and "Nark Kara Thai." There
is also the "Fuk Thai" company in Hong Kong but I think they make
textiles.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 1:29*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Funny Restaurant Names?
>
> We all have seen them. Some for better, some for worse. A grin/groan thing.
>
> I saw a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives food TV show and one segment showcased...
>
> "Juan in a Million"
>
> A town favorite Mexican cuisine place. LOL!
>
> Yours?
>
> Andy
> --
> Eat first, talk later.

I have seen a "Thai-phoon".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 1:00*pm, wrote:
> On Apr 11, 1:29*pm, Andy > wrote:
>
> > Funny Restaurant Names?

> > We all have seen them. Some for better, some for worse. A grin/groan thing.

> > I saw a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives food TV show and one segment showcased...

> > "Juan in a Million"

> > A town favorite Mexican cuisine place. LOL!

> > Yours?

> > Andy
> > --
> > Eat first, talk later.

> I have seen a "Thai-phoon".

We used to have a place across the river in Moorhead, MN called "The
Knitty Gritty Cafe" - like a cafe/coffee shop but they also
encouraged knitting and taught needlework classes.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton said...

> Andy wrote on Sat, 11 Apr 2009 12:29:29 -0500:
>
>> We all have seen them. Some for better, some for worse. A
>> grin/groan thing.

>> I saw a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives food TV show and one
>> segment showcased...

>> "Juan in a Million"

>> A town favorite Mexican cuisine place. LOL!

> There's a local Central American place that calls itself "El Dinero". I
> always thought "dinero" was money. Thai places can come up with some
> interesting words. I've seen "Tum Nark Thai" and "Nark Kara Thai." There
> is also the "Fuk Thai" company in Hong Kong but I think they make
> textiles.

James,

Heh heh heh heh heh!

I don't know half the names of the restaurants in my town, they come and go
so fast! One at a corner I always pass by is the "Noodl Bar" Thai cuisine
restaurant. Over the scanner, the cops call it the nudie bar. LOL! They
don't need guns, just glasses.

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 10:29*am, Andy > wrote:
> Funny Restaurant Names?
>
> We all have seen them. Some for better, some for worse. A grin/groan thing.
>
> I saw a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives food TV show and one segment showcased...
>
> "Juan in a Million"
>
> A town favorite Mexican cuisine place. LOL!
>
> Yours?
>
> Andy
> --
> Eat first, talk later.

No funny names in my town but there is a place called Luige's and they
make a big ass sub called a Garbage Grinder.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 1:29*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Funny Restaurant Names?
>
> We all have seen them. Some for better, some for worse. A grin/groan thing.
>
> I saw a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives food TV show and one segment showcased...
>
> "Juan in a Million"
>
> A town favorite Mexican cuisine place. LOL!
>
> Yours?
>
> Andy
> --
> Eat first, talk later.

I've seen Once Upon a Thai and Holy Chow.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris said...

> On Apr 11, 1:29*pm, Andy > wrote:
>> Funny Restaurant Names?
>>
>> We all have seen them. Some for better, some for worse. A grin/groan

thin
> g.
>>
>> I saw a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives food TV show and one segment

showcase
> d...
>>
>> "Juan in a Million"
>>
>> A town favorite Mexican cuisine place. LOL!
>>
>> Yours?
>>
>> Andy
>> --
>> Eat first, talk later.

> I've seen Once Upon a Thai and Holy Chow.
>
> Kris

Kris,

Two grins!! )

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Funny Restaurant Names?
>
> We all have seen them. Some for better, some for worse. A grin/groan
> thing.
>
> I saw a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives food TV show and one segment
> showcased...
>
> "Juan in a Million"
>
> A town favorite Mexican cuisine place. LOL!
>
> Yours?
>
> Andy

Is there still a diner in DelCo named Pica's? (Pica being a disorder where
you crave non-food items like chalk and dirt!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Kris said...
>
>> On Apr 11, 1:29 pm, Andy > wrote:
>>> Funny Restaurant Names?
>>>
>>> We all have seen them. Some for better, some for worse. A grin/groan

> thin
>> g.
>>>
>>> I saw a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives food TV show and one segment

> showcase
>> d...
>>>
>>> "Juan in a Million"
>>>
>>> A town favorite Mexican cuisine place. LOL!
>>>
>>> Yours?
>>>
>>> Andy
>>> --
>>> Eat first, talk later.

>> I've seen Once Upon a Thai and Holy Chow.
>>
>> Kris

> Kris,
>
> Two grins!! )
>
> Best,
>
> Andy
> --
> Eat first, talk later.

A friend of mine used to call my house "Elly's Chat and Chew
and Petting Zoo. Does that count?
Elly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Elly said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message news:Xns9BEA98611E95CotD@

216.196.97.131...
>> Kris said...

>> thin
>>> g.

>> showcase
>>> d...

>>> I've seen Once Upon a Thai and Holy Chow.
>>>
>>> Kris

>> Kris,
>>
>> Two grins!! )
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy
>> --
>> Eat first, talk later.

> A friend of mine used to call my house "Elly's Chat and Chew
> and Petting Zoo. Does that count?
> Elly

Elly,

Yes, if it's twew!!! ))

[waving!]

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

We have a Thaicoon's here, and I'm not sure if Fuddrucker's is a chain,
or not. I always thought it was funny.

Libby

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 12:29:29 -0500, Andy > shouted from the
highest rooftop:

>Yours?

The "Kam Kunt" restaurant in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Also some of the
worst food imaginable.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob said...

> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 12:29:29 -0500, Andy > shouted from the
> highest rooftop:
>
>>Yours?

> The "Kam Kunt" restaurant in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Also some of the
> worst food imaginable.

Let me guess, EVERYTHING tastes like fish!? <VBG>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 12:29:29 -0500, Andy > shouted from the
highest rooftop:

>Yours?

Also: Fuku's Suck-em-ups Eats Bar in Kihei, Maui, Hawaii. Not exactly
a restaurant. Far from it. But a very popular place to get your
"Hawaiian Breakfast," which consisted of a plain un-garnished hotdog
wrapped in white bread and a can of Coke followed by a Kool cigarette.

A friend tell the story of trying one of the hotdogs one day and
finding it so foul that she threw it on the side of the road where
even the local dogs wouldn't touch it.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 12:29:29 -0500, Andy > shouted from the
> highest rooftop:
>
>>Yours?

> Also: Fuku's Suck-em-ups Eats Bar in Kihei, Maui, Hawaii. Not exactly
> a restaurant. Far from it. But a very popular place to get your
> "Hawaiian Breakfast," which consisted of a plain un-garnished hotdog
> wrapped in white bread and a can of Coke followed by a Kool cigarette.
>
> A friend tell the story of trying one of the hotdogs one day and
> finding it so foul that she threw it on the side of the road where
> even the local dogs wouldn't touch it.
>

> --
>
> una cerveza mas por favor ...
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
> Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thai Me Up

In pittsburgh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BD said...

> Thai Me Up
>
> In pittsburgh

"Thai" somehow manages to get away with name "murder!"

LOL!

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 19:06:13 -0500, Andy > shouted from the
highest rooftop:

>bob said...
>
>> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 12:29:29 -0500, Andy > shouted from the
>> highest rooftop:
>>
>>>Yours?

>> The "Kam Kunt" restaurant in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Also some of the
>> worst food imaginable.

>Let me guess, EVERYTHING tastes like fish!? <VBG>
>
>Andy

I couldn't *possibly* comment ... ;-)b

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 11, 12:29*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Funny Restaurant Names?

Nacho Mama's is a tex-mex place here in St Louis. Supposed to be
pretty good too. Bryan may shed some light in this, he's eaten at most
mexican places here in STL.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy > wrote:

> Funny Restaurant Names?
>
> We all have seen them. Some for better, some for worse. A grin/groan thing.
>
> I saw a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives food TV show and one segment showcased...
>
> "Juan in a Million"
>
> A town favorite Mexican cuisine place. LOL!

You just made me think of the first time I was in California, which was
at least 15 years ago. My best friend was sent to a computer conference
at Disneyland. He had a hotel room at the Disney hotel. I talked my
employer into sending me to the conference too. I told them I had a free
hotel room, so that helped sway them to my way of thinking. My friend
and I flew there from Philadelphia. We arrived in Anaheim two days early
since neither of us had ever been to that area before. We spent that
weekend seeing some of the sights in the area before the conference
started.

After we checked into the Disneyland hotel, we drove to Los Angeles to
buy tickets to see the premier of one of the Star Trek movies at the
Mann's Chinese Theater. We parked around the corner from the theater.
When we got out of our rental car, we both noticed a little takeout
Chinese food restaurant on the opposite side of the street.

My friend and I both started laughing when we saw the name of that
restaurant. It was called "ABC Chinese Food and Donuts." The idea of a
restaurant that featured both Chinese food and donuts just struck me as
hilarious for some reason. My friend also thought it was funny. The
place hadn't opened yet on the day we were there, so we couldn't go in
to check it out. I later found out what the "ABC" stood for when I went
to Hawaii a few years later. But the idea of a restaurant featuring
Chinese food and donuts still makes me smile because its a weird
combination of foods to specialize in.

Probably the most unusual name for a restaurant I can think of is "The
Faultline Brewing Company" which is a place a friend of mine who lives
near San Francisco insisted I check out when I was in that area. Its
near an earthquake fault line. We have been there several times. It has
great food, great beer (when I used to drink it) and great service.
Their web site is http://www.faultlinebrewing.com/

When I was visiting relatives in San Antonio two years ago, I asked them
where I could get some great Texas barbecue. The next thing I knew, my
cousin Karen's 18 year old son was sitting next to me in my rental car
while a car full of my other relatives followed us to "Rudy's Worst
Barbecue in Texas." The sign out in front of the place, literally said
"Rudy's BBQ: Worst BBQ in Texas," which I was told was so good, the
owners decided to joke that it was the worst in Texas.

Seven of my relatives and I waited in a long line to order our food. We
all ordered something different to share. The food was served in heavy
wax paper or those cardboard boats. Wow! Everything was outstanding! Two
days later, I drove back there alone and I ate more barbecue after I
visited a place called Cascade Caverns. Here's an article about it
http://scrivenerstomb.wordpress.com/...e-worst-bbq-in
-tex

or

http://tinyurl.com/cj5q34

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ray Ray is offline

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> bob said...
>
>> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 12:29:29 -0500, Andy > shouted from the
>> highest rooftop:
>>
>>>Yours?

>> The "Kam Kunt" restaurant in Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Also some of the
>> worst food imaginable.

> Let me guess, EVERYTHING tastes like fish!? <VBG>
>
> Andy

No, it smells like fish but it tastes like chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Apr 11, 12:29 pm, Andy > wrote:
>
>> Funny Restaurant Names?
>>

> Nacho Mama's is a tex-mex place here in St Louis. Supposed to be
> pretty good too. Bryan may shed some light in this, he's eaten at most
> mexican places here in STL.
>
> John Kuthe...

Houston has a couple; Fu Kim and Crapitto's.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Apr 11, 12:29 pm, Andy > wrote:
>>
>>> Funny Restaurant Names?
>>>

>> Nacho Mama's is a tex-mex place here in St Louis. Supposed to be
>> pretty good too. Bryan may shed some light in this, he's eaten at most
>> mexican places here in STL.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> Houston has a couple; Fu Kim and Crapitto's.
>

> Becca

Used to be a Chinese/Mexican restaurant in Humble, TX, haven't seen any
signs of it the last few times I blew through there.

Often wonder if the Jade Palace Chinese restaurant is still in Humble.
The owner was totally fluent in Mandarin Chinese and yet spoke English
with a deep Texas drawl. Funniest thing I ever heard but excellent food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> John Kuthe wrote:
> > On Apr 11, 12:29 pm, Andy > wrote:
> >
> >> Funny Restaurant Names?
> >>

> > Nacho Mama's is a tex-mex place here in St Louis. Supposed to be
> > pretty good too. Bryan may shed some light in this, he's eaten at most
> > mexican places here in STL.
> >
> > John Kuthe...

> Houston has a couple; Fu Kim and Crapitto's.

Chinese restaurant east of Los Angeles -

Luck You

Pretty good food.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

"[Don't] assume that someone is "broken" just because they behave in ways
you don't like or don't understand." --Miche

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> Chinese restaurant east of Los Angeles -
>
> Luck You
>
> Pretty good food.

I saw that as a license plate. I was a passenger
in a car at the time, and I said "There's somebody
who didn't get his first choice of license plate."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:

>>> Nacho Mama's is a tex-mex place here in St Louis. Supposed to be
>>> pretty good too. Bryan may shed some light in this, he's eaten at most
>>> mexican places here in STL.
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>> Houston has a couple; Fu Kim and Crapitto's.
>>

>> Becca

> Used to be a Chinese/Mexican restaurant in Humble, TX, haven't seen any
> signs of it the last few times I blew through there.

All the Chinese restaurants around here are Chinese/Mexican. The buffets
have hot and sour soup and menudo, General Zho's Chicken and cheese
enchiladas. You get the idea.

> Often wonder if the Jade Palace Chinese restaurant is still in Humble.
> The owner was totally fluent in Mandarin Chinese and yet spoke English
> with a deep Texas drawl. Funniest thing I ever heard but excellent food.

I believe I ate there a couple of years ago. Good food. I didn't meet
the owner.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote in news:dabel-1784BF.14412512042009@c-61-
68-245-199.per.connect.net.au:

> Chinese restaurant east of Los Angeles -
>
> Luck You
>
> Pretty good food.

There's a Chinese restaurant in France called Le coq gaulois (the gallic
rooster). This is particularly odd as the rooster is the ancient symbol of
Gaul and now of France, often depicted on definitive issue stamps. It's
not the only restaurant with that name but it's the only Chinese restaurant
with that name.

Here in Ottawa we have a Vietnamese pastry shop called Saint-Honoré.

http://www.restaurantthing.com/ca/on...ng.php?ID=1395

There is (or at least was) an Italian restaurant in Vancouver called Pasta
la Vista.

Others:

Fourchettes et camisoles (forks and undershirts)

La giraffe qui boite (the limping giraffe)

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 14:55:39 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>>
>> Chinese restaurant east of Los Angeles -
>>
>> Luck You
>>
>> Pretty good food.

> I saw that as a license plate. I was a passenger
> in a car at the time, and I said "There's somebody
> who didn't get his first choice of license plate."

recently, a tofu aficionado's proposed vanity plate:

ILVTOFU

....was denied by the colorado DMV.

<http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1637264/tofu_license_plate_denied_by_colorado.html>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:52:32 GMT:

>> Dan Abel wrote:
>>>
>>> Chinese restaurant east of Los Angeles -
>>>
>>> Luck You
>>>
>>> Pretty good food.

>> I saw that as a license plate. I was a passenger
>> in a car at the time, and I said "There's somebody
>> who didn't get his first choice of license plate."

> recently, a tofu aficionado's proposed vanity plate:

> ILVTOFU

> ...was denied by the colorado DMV.

> <http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...4/tofu_license
> _plate_denied_by_colorado.html>

Blake, I wonder if tasting tofu is like tasting cilantro? Genetic
perhaps, but to me it's a source of textureless, tasteless protein that
I might consider if I were desperate. Even potatoes have a taste.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In Chicago there a couple of Chineese places called Eat First and a
hot dog stand - Mangi Dog.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Blake, I wonder if tasting tofu is like tasting cilantro? Genetic
> perhaps, but to me it's a source of textureless, tasteless protein that
> I might consider if I were desperate. Even potatoes have a taste.

Tofu, to a cook, should be like a blank canvas to a painter.

I've had a lot of good tofu dishes in my life.

I'm not much for baking. My wife really likes it. Think about what to
do with a ten pound sack of flour. You could scoop some out into a bowl
and eat it with a spoon. Pretty bad. And yet some people devote their
whole lives to baking, with wheat flour as the primary ingredient.

I wonder if tofu got it's bad reputation in the US partly because it was
seen as a protein source by vegetarians to substitute for meat. They
took recipes that relied on meat for flavor, and substituted tofu.

Almost all of the good tofu dishes I remember had meat in them.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

"[Don't] assume that someone is "broken" just because they behave in ways
you don't like or don't understand." --Miche
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 1:19*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *blake *wrote *on Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:52:32 GMT:

> >> I saw that as a license plate. *I was a passenger
> >> in a car at the time, and I said "There's somebody
> >> who didn't get his first choice of license plate."

> > recently, a tofu aficionado's proposed vanity plate:
> > ILVTOFU
> > ...was denied by the colorado DMV.
> > <http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...4/tofu_license
> > _plate_denied_by_colorado.html>

> Blake, I wonder if tasting tofu is like tasting cilantro? Genetic
> perhaps, but to me it's a source of textureless, tasteless protein that
> I might consider if I were desperate. Even potatoes have a taste.

Of course it has a taste. Even water has a taste. Tofu has more
flavor than water does.

That said, the plainest tofu that I actually care to eat is cold,
sliced,
with soy sauce on it. Quite refreshing in the summer.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote on Tue, 14 Apr 2009 06:27:04 -0700 (PDT):

> On Apr 13, 1:19 pm, "James Silverton"
> > wrote:

> >> recently, a tofu aficionado's proposed vanity plate:
> >> ILVTOFU
> >> ...was denied by the colorado DMV.
> >> <http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...7264/tofu_lice
> >> nse _plate_denied_by_colorado.html>

>> Blake, I wonder if tasting tofu is like tasting cilantro?
>> Genetic perhaps, but to me it's a source of textureless,
>> tasteless protein that I might consider if I were desperate.
>> Even potatoes have a taste.

> Of course it has a taste. Even water has a taste. Tofu has
> more flavor than water does.

People say that about cilantro too! Others disagree.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 17:19:41 GMT, James Silverton wrote:

> blake wrote on Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:52:32 GMT:

>>> I saw that as a license plate. I was a passenger
>>> in a car at the time, and I said "There's somebody
>>> who didn't get his first choice of license plate."

>> recently, a tofu aficionado's proposed vanity plate:

>> ILVTOFU

>> ...was denied by the colorado DMV.

>> <http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...4/tofu_license
>> _plate_denied_by_colorado.html>

> Blake, I wonder if tasting tofu is like tasting cilantro? Genetic
> perhaps, but to me it's a source of textureless, tasteless protein that
> I might consider if I were desperate. Even potatoes have a taste.

i'm not keen on the stuff myself. i'll grant that it can be made tasty in
theory, but i'm not interested in pursuing it.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 14, 9:38*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Cindy *wrote *on Tue, 14 Apr 2009 06:27:04 -0700 (PDT):
>

> > On Apr 13, 1:19 pm, "James Silverton"
> > > wrote:

> >> Blake, I wonder if tasting tofu is like tasting cilantro?
> >> Genetic perhaps, but to me it's a source of textureless,
> >> tasteless protein that I might consider if I were desperate.
> >> Even potatoes have a taste.

> > Of course it has a taste. *Even water has a taste. *Tofu has
> > more flavor than water does.

> People say that about cilantro too! Others disagree.

People say cilantro has no taste? Weird. I thought it was
pretty much divided into "I love cilantro" and "It tastes like soap".

Learn something new every day.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Apr 11, 12:29 pm, Andy > wrote:
>>
>>> Funny Restaurant Names?
>>>

>> Nacho Mama's is a tex-mex place here in St Louis. Supposed to be
>> pretty good too. Bryan may shed some light in this, he's eaten at most
>> mexican places here in STL.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> Houston has a couple; Fu Kim and Crapitto's.

Berkeley has King Dong (Chinese sit-down); Sconehenge (brunch place);
and a few others I can't think of right now. In San Diego, we had Thaifoon.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> Becca wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:

>>> Nacho Mama's is a tex-mex place here in St Louis. Supposed to be
>>> pretty good too. Bryan may shed some light in this, he's eaten at most
>>> mexican places here in STL.
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>> Houston has a couple; Fu Kim and Crapitto's.

> Berkeley has King Dong (Chinese sit-down); Sconehenge (brunch place); and
> a few others I can't think of right now. In San Diego, we had Thaifoon.

We have Hard Wok Cafe and the Irregardless Cafe. Joe's Mom's Place might
still be there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> "James Silverton" > wrote:
>

>> Blake, I wonder if tasting tofu is like tasting cilantro? Genetic
>> perhaps, but to me it's a source of textureless, tasteless protein that
>> I might consider if I were desperate. Even potatoes have a taste.

> Tofu, to a cook, should be like a blank canvas to a painter.

Gosh, I don't know. I think good tofu (the fresher the better) has a
flavor of its own that is really good.

> I've had a lot of good tofu dishes in my life.

<snip>
> I wonder if tofu got it's bad reputation in the US partly because it was
> seen as a protein source by vegetarians to substitute for meat. They
> took recipes that relied on meat for flavor, and substituted tofu.

Yeah, I think you're right.

> Almost all of the good tofu dishes I remember had meat in them.

I've had plenty of good tofu dishes with and without meat. I highly
recommend the book "This Can't Be Tofu!" (by Deborah Madison, if I'm
remembering right) for recipes of three kinds -- those with meat; those
where tofu is the star; and those where tofu is blended in or disguised.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>> Tofu, to a cook, should be like a blank canvas to a painter.

> Gosh, I don't know. I think good tofu (the fresher the better) has a
> flavor of its own that is really good.

[snip]

I don't think I have ever had remarkable tofu in the United
States. I am not quite sure why, since some is produced in this
area. I guess it is still too old by the time it gets to the
various markets.

The tofu made the next street over when I lived in Tokyo sure does
prove your statement though. It had a lovely flavor.

--
Jean B.