Old 19-10-2005, 01:50 PM
rob z

Default Inflated Restaurant Food Names

A friend that writes business books--the kind you see in the shops at
airports--asked me for some examples of the grandiose names certain
restaurants apply to rather mundane fare....say, salad-nicoise for tuna
fish....does anyone have a few favorites to pass on? thanks, rz

--

.....visit us at www.zLight.com

Old 19-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Dean G.

Salad-nicoise is more than just Tuna. Indeed, salad-nicoise may be the
shortest way to accurately describe what it is. Given that
salad-nicoise is a bad example, I'm sure there are plenty of good
examples. Check the menus of pretentious new restauraunts, many of
which are posted online.

Dean G.

Old 19-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Sheldon

Dean G. wrote:
Salad-nicoise is more than just Tuna. Indeed, salad-nicoise may be the
shortest way to accurately describe what it is. Given that
salad-nicoise is a bad example, I'm sure there are plenty of good
examples. Check the menus of pretentious new restauraunts, many of
which are posted online.

"à la Niçoise" means nothing and everything, means whatever the
particular cook wants it to mean but only within certain very basic
parameters, same as Irish Stew means whatever the particular cook wants
that to mean but within certain very basic parameters also... all it
means is salad as prepared in Nice, which of course means as much as
Irish Stew represents all stew as prepared in Ireland, like there's
some sort of law declaring of what it must consist. The OP's query is
legitimate and your reply is total double talk gobbledygook, in fact a
non answer... and to tell folks to "look on line" is about as
newbie-ish as it gets... Usenet IS on line... and to admonish folks to
use an internet search engine without indicating an example of precise
search terms AND an example of the results of ones own search makes
one unfit for participation on Usenet... you, sir, with your attitude,
do not belong here.

niçoise, à la [nee-SWAHZ]
A French phrase that means "as prepared in Nice," typifying the cuisine
found in and around that French Riviera city. This cooking style is
identified with hot and cold dishes that include the integral
ingredients of tomatoes, black olives, garlic and anchovy. Salade
niçoise contains these basic ingredients plus French green beans,
onions, tuna, hard-cooked eggs and herbs.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Sheldon

Old 19-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Dean G.

Sheldon wrote:
Dean G. wrote:
[...]

Your post, and inparticular your included definition, only confirms my
point, that salad nicoise is not some overinflated term. It accurately
describes a menu item within fairly well defined parameters. Most
people would know what to expect if they ordered it, but if the name
were an shorter, they would not.

Your example is similar. Instead of being overinflated, the term Irish
Stew is perhaps the opposite. If instead the restaraunt said "Stew of
Irish Beef, Slowly Simmered in a Guinness Beer Stock with Imported
Irish Fingerling Potatoes" then I would call it overinflated. Irish
Stew, by comparison, seems a little flat.

And speaking of attitudes, you, of all people, have little if any room
to talk.

Dean G.

Old 19-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Brian Huntley

rob z wrote:
A friend that writes business books--the kind you see in the shops at
airports--asked me for some examples of the grandiose names certain
restaurants apply to rather mundane fare....say, salad-nicoise for tuna
fish....does anyone have a few favorites to pass on? thanks, rz

There's always the infamous "Freedom Fries."

Old 19-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Dave Smith

"Dean G." wrote:

Salad-nicoise is more than just Tuna. Indeed, salad-nicoise may be the
shortest way to accurately describe what it is. Given that
salad-nicoise is a bad example, I'm sure there are plenty of good
examples. Check the menus of pretentious new restauraunts, many of
which are posted online.

Salad Nicoise is a salad typical of Nice, France. It typically has tuna in
it.
If you are ever in France, Nice is a great place to see. It is on the
south east coast near Monaco.

Old 19-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Michel Boucher

Dave Smith wrote in
:

Salad-nicoise is more than just Tuna. Indeed, salad-nicoise may
be the shortest way to accurately describe what it is. Given that
salad-nicoise is a bad example, I'm sure there are plenty of good
examples. Check the menus of pretentious new restauraunts, many
of which are posted online.

Salad Nicoise is a salad typical of Nice, France. It typically has
tuna in it.
If you are ever in France, Nice is a great place to see. It is on
the south east coast near Monaco.

Not far from Antibes and a green bean's throw from Juan-les-Pins.
Antibes is where Jacques Audiberti, the poet, is buried.

http://www.riviera.fr/vriveast.htm

Claude Nougaro sings of this in "Chanson pour le maçon".

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot
Old 19-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Ms. B. Haven

On 19 Oct 2005 12:38:44 -0700, "Brian Huntley"
wrote:

rob z wrote:
A friend that writes business books--the kind you see in the shops at
airports--asked me for some examples of the grandiose names certain
restaurants apply to rather mundane fare....say, salad-nicoise for tuna
fish....does anyone have a few favorites to pass on? thanks, rz

There's always the infamous "Freedom Fries."

Hmmm, now that you mention fries - how about "frites"? Whenever I've
seen this on a menu it's turned out to be "French Fries + $3"
Old 19-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Brian Huntley

"Steak Frites" = +$4.

Old 19-10-2005, 09:23 PM

Dave Smith wrote:
"Dean G." wrote:

Salad-nicoise is more than just Tuna. Indeed, salad-nicoise may be the

Salad Nicoise is a salad typical of Nice, France. It typically has tuna in
it.
If you are ever in France, Nice is a great place to see. It is on the
south east coast near Monaco.

Tuna!? Every salad-nicoise I ever saw in France had sardines
in it, certainly not tuna.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Old 19-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Dave Smith

Brian Huntley wrote:

rob z wrote:
A friend that writes business books--the kind you see in the shops at
airports--asked me for some examples of the grandiose names certain
restaurants apply to rather mundane fare....say, salad-nicoise for tuna
fish....does anyone have a few favorites to pass on? thanks, rz

There's always the infamous "Freedom Fries."

He asked for the grandiose, not the idiotic. :-)

Old 19-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Dimitri

"rob z" wrote in message
A friend that writes business books--the kind you see in the shops at
airports--asked me for some examples of the grandiose names certain
restaurants apply to rather mundane fare....say, salad-nicoise for tuna
fish....does anyone have a few favorites to pass on? thanks, rz

Either you or your "friend" have no bloody idea what you are talking about.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/life/...545387,00.html

Dimitri

Old 19-10-2005, 10:45 PM
aem

Dimitri wrote:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/life/...545387,00.html

This is an unusually well done piece. Does the Guardian print this
kind of thing frequently? -aem

Old 19-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Dimitri

"aem" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dimitri wrote:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/life/...545387,00.html

This is an unusually well done piece. Does the Guardian print this
kind of thing frequently? -aem

Yep, but you can only read it if you're a Brit or have permission from a Brit.

LOL

Dimitri

Old 19-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Charles Gifford

wrote in message ...
Dave Smith wrote:
"Dean G." wrote:

Tuna!? Every salad-nicoise I ever saw in France had sardines
in it, certainly not tuna.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Sardines?! You must be mad! ;-)