Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian
Sam Sam is offline

Default What makes Italian food so unique and compelling ?

In terms of either taste only, health - dietary benefits, ease of
cooking, or a combo of all of these and any other factors, what makes
Italian food so unique and compelling to you, compared to dishes of
other countries you also greatly admire.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

On Apr 5, 8:02*am, Sam > wrote:
> In terms of either taste only, health - dietary benefits, ease of
> cooking, or a combo of all of these and any other factors, what makes
> Italian food so unique and compelling to you, compared to dishes of
> other countries you also greatly admire.

My 7 YO son says that his two favorite cuisines are Italian and
Mexican, in that order.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

"Sam" > wrote in message
> In terms of either taste only, health - dietary benefits, ease of
> cooking, or a combo of all of these and any other factors, what makes
> Italian food so unique and compelling to you, compared to dishes of
> other countries you also greatly admire.

They don't eat so much cake, according to my Italian friend, and their sweet
things are not as sickenly sweet as those on this side of the pond.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

"Sam" > wrote in message
> In terms of either taste only, health - dietary benefits, ease of
> cooking, or a combo of all of these and any other factors, what makes
> Italian food so unique and compelling to you, compared to dishes of
> other countries you also greatly admire.

The main attraction for me is taste. Health benefits are good too, but that
is not what brought it to my attention.

If you compare cooking in Italy today to the typical US meal, they use more
fresh, local, pure ingredients that we do. They are fortunate to have
climates from north to south that allow for the best cheeses, lemons, pork,
wines, olive oils and breads. There are many types of Italian cooking, but
I've never had a bad meal in Italy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

Sam wrote on Sun, 5 Apr 2009 06:02:42 -0700 (PDT):

> In terms of either taste only, health - dietary benefits, ease
> of cooking, or a combo of all of these and any other factors,
> what makes Italian food so unique and compelling to you,
> compared to dishes of other countries you also greatly
> admire.

Italian food can be distinctive but there are at least three styles and
the same applies to France, India and China (perhaps even more styles in
each). I don't think any of these cuisines is more healthy than others
and generalizations are impossible, IMHO. However, two-fisted gluttony
is not the norm in any of these countries so that may confer health
benefits. In my experience, Indian restaurant food is fattier than other
ethnic styles, especially Indian *vegetarian* restaurants.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

"Sam" ha scritto nel messaggio

> In terms of either taste only, health - dietary benefits, ease of>
> cooking, or a combo of all of these and any other factors, what makes>
> Italian food so unique and compelling to you, compared to dishes of
> other countries you also greatly admire.

When you are making an Italian diah, at least in Italy, you are trying to
use the fewest possible ingredients but each one the best you can get,
instead of adding a bit of this, that and doubling one ingredient. "Niente
esaggerato"-.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Sam" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> In terms of either taste only, health - dietary benefits, ease of>
>> cooking, or a combo of all of these and any other factors, what makes>
>> Italian food so unique and compelling to you, compared to dishes of
>> other countries you also greatly admire.

> When you are making an Italian diah, at least in Italy, you are trying to
> use the fewest possible ingredients but each one the best you can get,
> instead of adding a bit of this, that and doubling one ingredient.
> "Niente esaggerato"-.

Hmmm .... interesting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Giusi" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Sam" ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>>> In terms of either taste only, health - dietary benefits, ease of>
>>> cooking, or a combo of all of these and any other factors, what makes>
>>> Italian food so unique and compelling to you, compared to dishes of
>>> other countries you also greatly admire.

>> When you are making an Italian diah, at least in Italy, you are trying to
>> use the fewest possible ingredients but each one the best you can get,
>> instead of adding a bit of this, that and doubling one ingredient.
>> "Niente esaggerato"-.

> Hmmm .... interesting.

A few years ago I read that Italians spend a larger percentage of their
income on food and ingredients than any other country. Not because of high
prices, but the quest for high quality.

I remember one day while staying on Rosana when my wife was not feeling well
I figured I'd get her some soup for our meal. I went to the grocery store
and could not find canned soup. Very little frozen foods too. Lots of
fresh seafood, cheeses, breads, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

"Mike" wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> A few years ago I read that Italians spend a larger percentage of their
>> income on food and ingredients than any other country.

> similar situation in Spain last time I read something on it.

Same has been said for the UK.

Not sure what yoose mean by food *and* "ingredients", aren't ingredients
food?

Claims of spending the largest proportion of income on food is nothing to be
proud of; means the great majority of the population is poor, food is
costly, scarce, and what the great majority of the population consumes is of
poor quality... such societies have a greater disproportion of assets; the
great majority has little while few have great wealth

The US spends the smallest percentageof income on food by far and consumes
the best quality food on the planet, and no one can dispute that food is
plentiful, too plentiful.... the US tosses more perfectly good food in the
trash than all of Italy consumes... there is more food on the shelves of one
modern US stupidmarket than there is in some entire third world countries.
In the US the poorest eat as well as the wealthiest because high quality
foods are so plentiful and affordable that far more than is possible to
consume is equally available to all... that the wealthy eat at posh eateries
and the less affluent eat at their kitchen table has no bearing on what they
eat, in fact food is usually better at home... in the US the lowest classes
eat better than Italy's highest classes. The food served in US
penitentiaries is equal to or better than what most of the Italian
population subsists. No one in the US needs to go hungry and/or eat poorly,
those that do choose to... many of the wealthiest have eating disorders
and/or TIAD, they make poor choices too. Naturally there are exceptions but
I won't entertain any "I know somebody who" comments... those are typically
exaggerations or downright lies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

On Apr 5, 6:02*am, Sam > wrote:
> In terms of either taste only, health - dietary benefits, ease of
> cooking, or a combo of all of these and any other factors, what makes
> Italian food so unique and compelling to you, compared to dishes of
> other countries you also greatly admire.

The summing word I'd give is "approachability": most satisfaction for
the least amount of effort. Aside from being tasty and healthy, it's
relatively easy and inexpensive to make compare with most other types
of cuisine.

--
Ht

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> Claims of spending the largest proportion of income on food is nothing to
> be proud of; means the great majority of the population is poor, food is
> costly, scarce, and what the great majority of the population consumes is
> of poor quality... such societies have a greater disproportion of assets;
> the great majority has little while few have great wealth
>
> in the US the lowest classes eat better than Italy's highest classes. The
> food served in US penitentiaries is equal to or better than what most of
> the Italian population subsists.

So you mean the US eats better because they choose Spam & Velveeta and the
poor of Italy eat prosciutto and Parma cheese? The well-to-do US beverage of
choice is Diet Coke while the poor Italians have to drink Pinot Grigio or
Chianti.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>
>> Claims of spending the largest proportion of income on food is nothing to
>> be proud of; means the great majority of the population is poor, food is
>> costly, scarce, and what the great majority of the population consumes is
>> of poor quality... such societies have a greater disproportion of assets;
>> the great majority has little while few have great wealth
>>
>> in the US the lowest classes eat better than Italy's highest classes.
>> The food served in US penitentiaries is equal to or better than what most
>> of the Italian population subsists.

> So you mean the US eats better because they choose Spam & Velveeta and the
> poor of Italy eat prosciutto and Parma cheese? The well-to-do US beverage
> of choice is Diet Coke while the poor Italians have to drink Pinot Grigio
> or Chianti.

You know better than to say everyone in the US subsists on Spam and Velveeta
and no one in the US drinks booze, because that would include you. There's
more proscutto, parmesan, and dago red consumed in the US than in Italy..
Italy exports most of their gourmet foods production and the US is the
biggest importer. Most Americans who visit Italy (or any country) primarily
stay at American style hotels; they may as well have stayed home. The
regular everyday Italians don't eat what Americans call "Italian Food", most
eat exactly what typical Americans eat on a daily basis... just don't eat as
large portions and it costs more than twice the proportion of income as
Americans... in other words they eat half the quantity and pay twice the
price. The main difference between typical Americans and the typical
Italians is that Italians spend more than twice as much time preparing their
meals... and they don't eat better, they simply spend more time cooking
because prepared foods that Americans consume are much too expensive...
didn't you see all the pictures of dishes Pandora posted, all fussily
prepared, but small portions and no expensive ingredients, what Italians
call pasta for six would barely feed me and you. The reason pizza in Italy
is so bare bones is because with the way Americns pile on toppings hardly
any Italians could afford it. And per capita most of the world's developed
countries drink more Coke than Americans... if you think Italians don't
drink Diet Coke then you spent your time there with your eyes closed... Coca
Cola is the first English Italian toddlers learn... in most countries the
same... Iran consumes Coke the way we consume oil. The two most prolific
and largest billboards on the planet are Coca Cola and Colgate Toothpaste...
Sony is a piker next to those. Even in this economy Coke and Colgate stock
performance is doing exceptionally well.

http://www.investorguide.com/stock-a...gi?date=081905

Profile
The Coca-Cola Company is the largest manufacturer, distributor and
marketer of soft drink concentrates and syrups in the world. They also
market and distribute juice and juice-drink products. The soft drink
Coca-Cola is recognized as the world's most valuable brand. The company also
markets four of the five top soft drink brands: Diet Coke, Sprite and Fanta.
Consumers in over 200 countries drink more than one billion servings of the
company's products each day.
------

http://community.investopedia.com/ne...B-CLX0406.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

"brooklyn1" ha scritto nel messaggio >
> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
>>> Claims of spending the largest proportion of income on food is nothing
>>> to >> be proud of; means the great majority of the population is poor,
>>> food is costly, scarce, and what the great majority of the population
>>> consumes is >>> of poor quality...

>> So you mean the US eats better because they choose Spam & Velveeta and
>> the >> poor of Italy eat prosciutto and Parma cheese? The well-to-do US
>> beverage of choice is Diet Coke while the poor Italians have to drink
>> Pinot Grigio > or Chianti.
>>

> You know better than to say everyone in the US subsists on Spam and
> Velveeta > and no one in the US drinks booze, because that would include
> you. There's more proscutto, parmesan, and dago red consumed in the US
> than in Italy..

You can go off on these idiotic tirades filled with invented prejudicial
statements if you like, but don't refute others who have actual experience
when they tell the truth.

The truth is you have never eaten as well as my peasant neighbors eat and
you wouldn't recognize real Italian food if you were trapped in a cave with
nothing else.
You have no idea what most Americans do, let alone what Italians do. In
Italy you can't even buy the shit that passes for cheap food in the USA.

> Italy exports most of their gourmet foods production and the US is the >
> biggest importer.

Really stupid. Most prosciutto sold in the US is fake made in the USA.
Same for Parmesan. The portion of real Italian food exported to the US
relies on its quality. We ALL eat the real thing here, with each person
having an opinion of which of the prosciutti crudi tastes the best.

>>Most Americans who visit Italy (or any country) primarily

> stay at American style hotels; they may as well have stayed home.

That's what YOU would do, not the rest of us. The agriturismo homestay is
the biggest travel deal in Italy these days.

>>The > regular everyday Italians don't eat what Americans call "Italian
>>Food", most eat exactly what typical Americans eat on a daily basis...

They absolutely do NOT. You obviously have paid no attention to Vilco or
Pandora ever.

>>and they don't eat better, they simply spend more time cooking > because
>>prepared foods that Americans consume are much too expensive...

They do not exist. Not even canned soup. That's because Italians won't buy
them.

>> didn't you see all the pictures of dishes Pandora posted, all fussily
>> prepared, but small portions and no expensive ingredients, what Italians
>> call pasta for six would barely feed me and you.

And that wopuld be because they eat two or more courses after they've eaten
the pasta, idiot.

>>The reason pizza in Italy is so bare bones is because with the way
>>Americns pile on toppings hardly any Italians could afford it.

BS. Piling on all that crap ruins the pizza and turns it into a deadly fat
bomb as well as making the crust soggy and flat.

And per capita most of the world's developed
> countries drink more Coke than Americans... if you think Italians don't
> drink Diet Coke then you spent your time there with your eyes closed...
> Coca Cola is the first English Italian toddlers learn...

No, nowadays I teach them to say "Sheldon is an idiot who doesn't mind
showing his ignorance in public."

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> You know better than to say everyone in the US subsists on Spam and
> Velveeta and no one in the US drinks booze, because that would include
> you. There's more proscutto, parmesan, and dago red consumed in the US
> than in Italy..

With population difference of 300 million to 58 million, that is true. We
are one of the largest markets for produce from Italy.

> Italy exports most of their gourmet foods production and the US is the
> biggest importer. Most Americans who visit Italy (or any country)
> primarily stay at American style hotels; they may as well have stayed
> home. The regular everyday Italians don't eat what Americans call
> "Italian Food", most eat exactly what typical Americans eat on a daily
> basis...

> in other words they eat half the quantity and pay twice the price. The
> main difference between typical Americans and the typical Italians is that
> Italians spend more than twice as much time preparing their meals... and
> they don't eat better, they simply spend more time cooking because
> prepared foods that Americans consume are much too expensive...

Disagree. I've spent time in Italy I've eaten with the locals, stayed at
homes, not hotels. I've also shopped at the supermarkets and bought
groceries to cook our meals.

In Italy you will see very little of the processed foods, the Velveeta
cheese, the Kraft mac & cheese, and many other products of that type. You
will find the prosciutto hams, the large selection of local cheese,
sausages, and regional items. Yes, they have Coke, but the same store is
likely to have twice the amount of shelf space for wine than soda. I was
blown away at the prices too. In some restaurnats when yhou order wine, the
put a pitcher on the table and you drink what you want. Sliced white bread?
There may be two kinds available while fresh baked will line the shelves
with a half dozen or dozen varieties and sizes.

> didn't you see all the pictures of dishes Pandora posted, all fussily
> prepared, but small portions and no expensive ingredients, what Italians
> call pasta for six would barely feed me and you. The reason pizza in
> Italy is so bare bones is because with the way Americns pile on toppings
> hardly any Italians could afford it. And per capita most of the world's
> developed countries drink more Coke than Americans... if you think
> Italians don't drink Diet Coke then you spent your time there with your
> eyes closed...

You will find it at some of the bars and smaller shops, but it is not the
staple that soda is in most American homes. Aqua with gas is even more
likely. You will find it a pizza shops too. A typical side street shop
may have 6 to 10 pizzas with different toppings ready for sale by the slice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> >>

> > You know better than to say everyone in the US subsists on Spam and
> > Velveeta and no one in the US drinks booze, because that would include
> > you. There's more proscutto, parmesan, and dago red consumed in the US
> > than in Italy..

> With population difference of 300 million to 58 million, that is true. We
> are one of the largest markets for produce from Italy.
>

> > Italy exports most of their gourmet foods production and the US is the
> > biggest importer. Most Americans who visit Italy (or any country)
> > primarily stay at American style hotels; they may as well have stayed
> > home. The regular everyday Italians don't eat what Americans call
> > "Italian Food", most eat exactly what typical Americans eat on a daily
> > basis...

> > in other words they eat half the quantity and pay twice the price. The
> > main difference between typical Americans and the typical Italians is

that
> > Italians spend more than twice as much time preparing their meals... and
> > they don't eat better, they simply spend more time cooking because
> > prepared foods that Americans consume are much too expensive...

> Disagree. I've spent time in Italy I've eaten with the locals, stayed at
> homes, not hotels. I've also shopped at the supermarkets and bought
> groceries to cook our meals.
>
> In Italy you will see very little of the processed foods, the Velveeta
> cheese, the Kraft mac & cheese, and many other products of that type. You
> will find the prosciutto hams, the large selection of local cheese,
> sausages, and regional items. Yes, they have Coke, but the same store is
> likely to have twice the amount of shelf space for wine than soda. I was
> blown away at the prices too. In some restaurnats when yhou order wine,

the
> put a pitcher on the table and you drink what you want. Sliced white

bread?
> There may be two kinds available while fresh baked will line the shelves
> with a half dozen or dozen varieties and sizes.
>

> > didn't you see all the pictures of dishes Pandora posted, all fussily
> > prepared, but small portions and no expensive ingredients, what Italians
> > call pasta for six would barely feed me and you. The reason pizza in
> > Italy is so bare bones is because with the way Americns pile on toppings
> > hardly any Italians could afford it. And per capita most of the world's
> > developed countries drink more Coke than Americans... if you think
> > Italians don't drink Diet Coke then you spent your time there with your
> > eyes closed...

> You will find it at some of the bars and smaller shops, but it is not the
> staple that soda is in most American homes. Aqua with gas is even more
> likely. You will find it a pizza shops too. A typical side street shop
> may have 6 to 10 pizzas with different toppings ready for sale by the

slice.

That's because guinea WOP households are very primitive places, not only do
many dwellings not only lack basic refrigeration, but also cooking gas and
plumbing and thus modern appliances and so the facilities for food
preparation are very limited...

Refrigerators and air conditioning are considered still by many in Italy to
be "works of the devil", the cool air they produce is considered to be "bad
for health"...

Not only do they lack modern refrigeration and A/C over there but Italians
do not believe in the use of window screens, that is why malaria and polio
and other vermin - borne and filth - borne diseases are so practically rife
there...

Italy really is still Third World, just look at a place like Venice, MOUNDS
of rubbish in the streets...and the canale of Venezia are open sewers, they
dump the contents of their chamberpots right off of their balconies every
morning...

Q: What is the Venetian term for "flush"...???

A: "Morning tide"...!!!

--
Best
Greg

"The trouble with socialism is that you eventually run out of other
people's money."~~~~Margaret Thatcher

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

"Gregory Morrow" ha scritto nel messaggio

That's because guinea WOP households are very primitive places, not only
do> many dwellings not only lack basic refrigeration, but also cooking gas
and
> plumbing and thus modern appliances and so the facilities for food>
> preparation are very limited...
>
> Refrigerators and air conditioning are considered still by many in Italy
> to> be "works of the devil", the cool air they produce is considered to be
> "bad> for health"...
>
> Not only do they lack modern refrigeration and A/C over there but
> Italians> do not believe in the use of window screens, that is why malaria
> and polio
> and other vermin - borne and filth - borne diseases are so practically
> rife> there...
>
> Italy really is still Third World, just look at a place like Venice,
> MOUNDS> of rubbish in the streets...and the canale of Venezia are open
> sewers, they
> dump the contents of their chamberpots right off of their balconies every>
> morning...

I never realized that you were so old that you would have visited Italy in
the 19th century.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:40:59 +0200, Giusi wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> That's because guinea WOP households are very primitive places, not only
> do> many dwellings not only lack basic refrigeration, but also cooking gas
> and
>> plumbing and thus modern appliances and so the facilities for food>
>> preparation are very limited...
>>
>> Refrigerators and air conditioning are considered still by many in Italy
>> to> be "works of the devil", the cool air they produce is considered to be
>> "bad> for health"...
>>
>> Not only do they lack modern refrigeration and A/C over there but
>> Italians> do not believe in the use of window screens, that is why malaria
>> and polio
>> and other vermin - borne and filth - borne diseases are so practically
>> rife> there...
>>
>> Italy really is still Third World, just look at a place like Venice,
>> MOUNDS> of rubbish in the streets...and the canale of Venezia are open
>> sewers, they
>> dump the contents of their chamberpots right off of their balconies every>
>> morning...

> I never realized that you were so old that you would have visited Italy in
> the 19th century.

of course he's old. it takes a long time to become that stupid.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message

> [...]

> be "works of the devil", the cool air they produce is considered to be
> "bad
> for health"...
>
> Not only do they lack modern refrigeration and A/C over there but Italians
> do not believe in the use of window screens, that is why malaria and polio
> and other vermin - borne and filth - borne diseases are so practically
> rife
> there...
>
> Italy really is still Third World, just look at a place like Venice,
> MOUNDS
> of rubbish in the streets...and the canale of Venezia are open sewers,
> they
> dump the contents of their chamberpots right off of their balconies every
> morning...
>

> Q: What is the Venetian term for "flush"...???

And the coastal cities ain't bad, I've traveled through the interior of
Italy by narrow gauge railroad, slowly wending its way from one midevil
village to the next and inbetwixt feifdoms, with filthy peons scratching out
meager viands keeping the worst for themselves. The only real wealth in
Italy is the Vatican, The Maffia, and the Touristas... there's also a fairly
large contingency of pickpockets and prostitutes. The vast majority,
compared to the US, subsist a millimeter from abject poverty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Gregory Morrow" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> That's because guinea WOP households are very primitive places, not only
> do> many dwellings not only lack basic refrigeration, but also cooking gas
> and
>> plumbing and thus modern appliances and so the facilities for food>
>> preparation are very limited...
>>
>> Refrigerators and air conditioning are considered still by many in Italy
>> to> be "works of the devil", the cool air they produce is considered to
>> be "bad> for health"...
>>
>> Not only do they lack modern refrigeration and A/C over there but
>> Italians> do not believe in the use of window screens, that is why
>> malaria and polio
>> and other vermin - borne and filth - borne diseases are so practically
>> rife> there...
>>
>> Italy really is still Third World, just look at a place like Venice,
>> MOUNDS> of rubbish in the streets...and the canale of Venezia are open
>> sewers, they
>> dump the contents of their chamberpots right off of their balconies
>> every> morning...

> I never realized that you were so old that you would have visited Italy in
> the 19th century.

Italy is still in the 19th century, and that's only for the priviledged few.
The majority of Italians are living in the 16th century.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

Pentaxuser wrote:
> "brooklyn1" > wrote:
>
>> Italy is still in the 19th century, and that's only for the priviledged few.
>> The majority of Italians are living in the 16th century.

> how come they are so much better dressed than americans?

But then-everybody is!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 18:36:32 +0100, Pentaxuser
> wrote:

>how come they are so much better dressed than americans?

It's because they buy Italian clothing and shoes.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 16:36:04 +0000, brooklyn1 wrote:

> And the coastal cities ain't bad, I've traveled through the interior of
> Italy by narrow gauge railroad, slowly wending its way from one midevil
> village to the next and inbetwixt feifdoms, with filthy peons scratching
> out meager viands keeping the worst for themselves. The only real
> wealth in Italy is the Vatican, The Maffia, and the Touristas... there's
> also a fairly large contingency of pickpockets and prostitutes. The
> vast majority, compared to the US, subsist a millimeter from abject
> poverty.

Have you considered visiting Italy since about 1960?

I can recommend Milan...

--
William Black
Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

"Pentaxuser" > wrote in message
> "brooklyn1" > wrote:
>
>>Italy is still in the 19th century, and that's only for the priviledged
>>few.
>>The majority of Italians are living in the 16th century.

> how come they are so much better dressed than americans?

I told you... those are the mafiosa dons and their toadies, the child
molestors in the vatican (that's a whole country worth of minor's peepee
suckers), and the hoe's pimps (pimp is probably the most respectible actual
occupation in Italy). Truth is the poorest rural US hillybilly's wally
world clothes are ten times better than the raggedy shit encrusted schmatahs
those peons in the dago countryside drape over their festering ugli butts...
most don't even have shoes. And uou don't even want to compare ghetto gear.
Guineas dress like you type, lazy ass imbecile.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> "Mike" wrote:
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> >> A few years ago I read that Italians spend a larger percentage of their
> >> income on food and ingredients than any other country.

> > similar situation in Spain last time I read something on it.

> Same has been said for the UK.
>
> Not sure what yoose mean by food *and* "ingredients", aren't ingredients
> food?
>
> Claims of spending the largest proportion of income on food is nothing to be
> proud of; means the great majority of the population is poor, food is
> costly, scarce, and what the great majority of the population consumes is of
> poor quality... such societies have a greater disproportion of assets; the
> great majority has little while few have great wealth
>
> The US spends the smallest percentageof income on food by far and consumes
> the best quality food on the planet, and no one can dispute that food is
> plentiful, too plentiful.... the US tosses more perfectly good food in the
> trash than all of Italy consumes... there is more food on the shelves of one
> modern US stupidmarket than there is in some entire third world countries.
> In the US the poorest eat as well as the wealthiest because high quality
> foods are so plentiful and affordable that far more than is possible to
> consume is equally available to all... that the wealthy eat at posh eateries
> and the less affluent eat at their kitchen table has no bearing on what they
> eat, in fact food is usually better at home... in the US the lowest classes
> eat better than Italy's highest classes. The food served in US
> penitentiaries is equal to or better than what most of the Italian
> population subsists. No one in the US needs to go hungry and/or eat poorly,
> those that do choose to... many of the wealthiest have eating disorders
> and/or TIAD, they make poor choices too. Naturally there are exceptions but
> I won't entertain any "I know somebody who" comments... those are typically
> exaggerations or downright lies.

The poorest most certainly do not eat as well as those who have a little
bit of money. The poor eat mostly carbohydrates and sugars believe it or
not, it's the cheapest thing on the shelves.

Well, not the cheapest. Fruit and vegetables can actually be a pretty
good bargain too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

blake murphy wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:40:59 +0200, Giusi wrote:
>
> > "Gregory Morrow" ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > That's because guinea WOP households are very primitive places, not

only
> > do> many dwellings not only lack basic refrigeration, but also cooking

gas
> > and
> >> plumbing and thus modern appliances and so the facilities for food>
> >> preparation are very limited...
> >>
> >> Refrigerators and air conditioning are considered still by many in

Italy
> >> to> be "works of the devil", the cool air they produce is considered to

be
> >> "bad> for health"...
> >>
> >> Not only do they lack modern refrigeration and A/C over there but
> >> Italians> do not believe in the use of window screens, that is why

malaria
> >> and polio
> >> and other vermin - borne and filth - borne diseases are so practically
> >> rife> there...
> >>
> >> Italy really is still Third World, just look at a place like Venice,
> >> MOUNDS> of rubbish in the streets...and the canale of Venezia are open
> >> sewers, they
> >> dump the contents of their chamberpots right off of their balconies

every>
> >> morning...

> > I never realized that you were so old that you would have visited Italy

in
> > the 19th century.

> of course he's old. it takes a long time to become that stupid.

I know you are just trolling, blake, so I won't take your comment
*personally*...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

"The trouble with socialism is that you eventually run out of other
people's money."~~~~Margaret Thatcher

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

William Black wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 16:36:04 +0000, brooklyn1 wrote:
>

> > And the coastal cities ain't bad, I've traveled through the interior of
> > Italy by narrow gauge railroad, slowly wending its way from one midevil
> > village to the next and inbetwixt feifdoms, with filthy peons scratching
> > out meager viands keeping the worst for themselves. The only real
> > wealth in Italy is the Vatican, The Maffia, and the Touristas... there's
> > also a fairly large contingency of pickpockets and prostitutes. The
> > vast majority, compared to the US, subsist a millimeter from abject
> > poverty.

> Have you considered visiting Italy since about 1960?
>
> I can recommend Milan...

DFM said that Milano was boring...like Leeds, but with better spag bol.

;-)

--
Best
Greg

"The trouble with socialism is that you eventually run out of other
people's money."~~~~Margaret Thatcher

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

Default morrow the moron, another couch traveller !

"Gregory Morrow" > a écrit dans le message de

> [...]

> do not believe in the use of window screens, that is why malaria and polio
> and other vermin - borne and filth - borne diseases are so practically
> rife
> there...
>
> Italy really is still Third World, just look at a place like Venice,
> MOUNDS
> of rubbish in the streets...and the canale of Venezia are open sewers,
> they
> dump the contents of their chamberpots right off of their balconies every
> morning...
>

> Q: What is the Venetian term for "flush"...???
>
> A: "Morning tide"...!!!
>

> --
> Best
> Greg
>
> "The trouble with socialism is that you eventually run out of other

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

Default morrow and his Bud hidden in a brown paperbag...got his monthly pension, can drink and post again

you should morrow
"Gregory Morrow" > a écrit dans le message de
m...

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:40:59 +0200, Giusi wrote:
>>
>> > "Gregory Morrow" ha scritto nel messaggio
>> >
>> > That's because guinea WOP households are very primitive places, not

> only
>> > do> many dwellings not only lack basic refrigeration, but also cooking

> gas
>> > and

> Italy

> be

> malaria

> every>
>> >
>> > I never realized that you were so old that you would have visited Italy

> in
>> > the 19th century.

>> of course he's old. it takes a long time to become that stupid.
>>

> I know you are just trolling, blake, so I won't take your comment
> *personally*...
>
> ;-)
>

> --
> Best
> Greg
>
> "The trouble with socialism is that you eventually run out of other
> people's money."~~~~Margaret Thatcher

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

morrow beats martin to be the funny man

"Gregory Morrow" > a écrit dans le message de
m...

> William Black wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 08 Apr 2009 16:36:04 +0000, brooklyn1 wrote:
>>

>> > And the coastal cities ain't bad, I've traveled through the interior of
>> > Italy by narrow gauge railroad, slowly wending its way from one midevil
>> > village to the next and inbetwixt feifdoms, with filthy peons
>> > scratching
>> > out meager viands keeping the worst for themselves. The only real
>> > wealth in Italy is the Vatican, The Maffia, and the Touristas...
>> > there's
>> > also a fairly large contingency of pickpockets and prostitutes. The
>> > vast majority, compared to the US, subsist a millimeter from abject
>> > poverty.

>> Have you considered visiting Italy since about 1960?
>>
>> I can recommend Milan...

> DFM said that Milano was boring...like Leeds, but with better spag bol.
>
> ;-)
>

> --
> Best
> Greg
>
> "The trouble with socialism is that you eventually run out of other
> people's money."~~~~Margaret Thatcher

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian

"T" ha scritto nel messaggio

> The poorest most certainly do not eat as well as those who have a little
> bit of money. The poor eat mostly carbohydrates and sugars believe it or
> not, it's the cheapest thing on the shelves.
>
> Well, not the cheapest. Fruit and vegetables can actually be a pretty
> good bargain too.

What are you on about? I live in the Italian countryside in the middle of
an Italian farm. All of my neighbors who are older than 60 have a third
grade education. (but are not ignorant because they are not stupid, so they
self taught and can spell medieval) None of them is rich, and they all eat
better than the average middle class American, which is what I am. But I
eat Italian for the most part.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe

In article >, hackamore > wrote:
[snip]
>I look like every other hairy little Frenchman...

Did you see the pic of the Frog President at the recent G20 gab fest?

One of our local sleezy tabloids had a lovely shot of what's-his-name
and his glamorous wife with the Obamas. The Pres was standing on
tippy toes to add an inch or two to his height.

[Speaking of height, Obama has continued the *long* tradition of the
tallest candidate winning the US election. While not meaning to cast
nasturtiums on Barack, the rest of us would really like to know why
you Yanks so consistently equate length with competence? ;-0]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID