Member

Default unique Filipino food

Hi.

I'm new here.

Would like to get thoughts from members who have experienced eating Filipino food.

Am particularly interested in unique street foods too.

thanks

Neo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

neomindmaster wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm new here.
>
> Would like to get thoughts from members who have experienced eating
> Filipino food.

I'd love a good recipe for lumpia. I've had some many times and on
occasion some with fresh green beans inside that were marvelous, but
don't seem to be able to recreate it using the beans myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> neomindmaster wrote:

>> Would like to get thoughts from members who have experienced eating>>
>> Filipino food.

> I'd love a good recipe for lumpia. I've had some many times and on >
> occasion some with fresh green beans inside that were marvelous, but >
> don't seem to be able to recreate it using the >beans myself.

I love lumpia, but I've never had it with green beans inside. I wonder if
there is a way to structure a search and find that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> neomindmaster wrote:

>> Would like to get thoughts from members who have experienced eating
>> Filipino food.

> I'd love a good recipe for lumpia. I've had some many times and on
> occasion some with fresh green beans inside that were marvelous, but don't
> seem to be able to recreate it using the beans myself.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/8848/lum...able-roll.html

I never thought of looking there since so much of what is posted in full of
premade rubbish, but this might be more from scratch than I bargained for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> neomindmaster wrote:

..

>> Would like to get thoughts from members who have experienced eating
>> Filipino food.

> I'd love a good recipe for lumpia. I've had some many times and on
> occasion some with fresh green beans inside that were marvelous, but don't
> seem to be able to recreate it using the beans myself.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,198,...232200,00.html seems more like
what I associate with lumpia.
I went to the wedding of my friend's Filapina housekeeper-- she and I cook
together when I am in DC -- and there were enormous platters of lumpia. I
went around asking others if they intended to marry and if they would invite
me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote on Sat, 25 Sep 2010 11:13:55 +0200:

> "Goomba" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> neomindmaster wrote:

> .
>>>
>>> Would like to get thoughts from members who have experienced
>>> eating Filipino food.

>> I'd love a good recipe for lumpia. I've had some many times
>> and on occasion some with fresh green beans inside that were
>> marvelous, but don't seem to be able to recreate it using the
>> beans myself.

I'd always thought that Lumpia were a Filipino version of Spring Rolls.
What would be the differences, fillings perhaps?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:36:51 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>What would be the differences, fillings perhaps?

As with any home cooking, lumpia filling varies with the cook. The
first ones I ever had (as a teenager) had corn and green beans among
other things in them... and I've never been able to replicate them as
I remember them.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:36:51 -0400, "James Silverton"
> > wrote:
>

>>What would be the differences, fillings perhaps?

> As with any home cooking, lumpia filling varies with the cook. The
> first ones I ever had (as a teenager) had corn and green beans among
> other things in them... and I've never been able to replicate them as
> I remember them.

Interesting mix of cultures in the Philippines producing some very good
food. Ukoy anyone?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...n&dmode=source

Though i was a bit miffed to find them in the frozen food section of a
local market shortly after i first learned to make them.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 25, 12:12 am, neomindmaster <neomindmaster.
> Would like to get thoughts from members who have experienced eating
> Filipino food.
>
> Am particularly interested in unique street foods too.

Here in L.A., the capitol of international food trucks, there is (at
least) one devoted to Filipino food, the Manila Machine. They use
Twitter to tell folks where they'll be.

The menu might serve as an introduction to this food. http://themanilamachine.com/menu

partial list:
Chicken adobo.
Sisig sandwich.
Lumpia.
Pan de sal sliders.
Longganisa.
Tapsilog.
and a couple of spam things.

I haven't tried/found the truck yet but I used to like the chicken
adobo and the pansit and the lumpia that a co-worker brought in for
potlucks. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote on Sat, 25 Sep 2010 13:37:55 -0700 (PDT):

> On Sep 25, 12:12 am, neomindmaster <neomindmaster.
>> Would like to get thoughts from members who have experienced
>> eating Filipino food.
>>
>> Am particularly interested in unique street foods too.
>>

> Here in L.A., the capitol of international food trucks, there
> is (at least) one devoted to Filipino food, the Manila
> Machine. They use Twitter to tell folks where they'll be.

> The menu might serve as an introduction to this food.
> http://themanilamachine.com/menu

> partial list:
> Chicken adobo.
> Sisig sandwich.
> Lumpia.
> Pan de sal sliders.
> Longganisa.
> Tapsilog.
> and a couple of spam things.

I was just reminiscing about lumpia and I think the first time I saw the
word was in Holland. Are they perhaps an Indonesian food too and far
from unique?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba > wrote:

> I'd love a good recipe for lumpia. I've had some many times and on
> occasion some with fresh green beans inside that were marvelous, but
> don't seem to be able to recreate it using the beans myself.

Here are a couple of very different versions with green beans from
well-regarded sources:

<http://burntlumpia.typepad.com/burnt_lumpia/2007/02/rollin_with_mom.html>

<http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Tagalog/Tagalog_Default_files/Philippine_Culture/Pagkaing%20Pilipino/PansitAtbp/LumpiangUbod.htm>

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote to aem on Sat, 25 Sep 2010 17:02:23 -0400:

>> On Sep 25, 12:12 am, neomindmaster <neomindmaster.
>> > wrote:
>>> Would like to get thoughts from members who have experienced
>>> eating Filipino food.
>>>
>>> Am particularly interested in unique street foods too.
>>>

>> Here in L.A., the capitol of international food trucks, there
>> is (at least) one devoted to Filipino food, the Manila
>> Machine. They use Twitter to tell folks where they'll be.

>> The menu might serve as an introduction to this food.
>> http://themanilamachine.com/menu

>> partial list:
>> Chicken adobo.
>> Sisig sandwich.
>> Lumpia.
>> Pan de sal sliders.
>> Longganisa.
>> Tapsilog.
>> and a couple of spam things.

> I was just reminiscing about lumpia and I think the first time
> I saw the word was in Holland. Are they perhaps an Indonesian food too
> and far from unique?

Let me just add that Wikipedia seems reiiable and says Lumpia are
pastries of Chinese origin and were introduced to Java by Chinese
immigrants. I am also told that Lumpia is the generic Dutch term for egg
rolls, which agrees with my memories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpia
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/25/2010 02:08 PM, Victor Sack wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> I'd love a good recipe for lumpia. I've had some many times and on
>> occasion some with fresh green beans inside that were marvelous, but
>> don't seem to be able to recreate it using the beans myself.

> Here are a couple of very different versions with green beans from
> well-regarded sources:
>
> <http://burntlumpia.typepad.com/burnt_lumpia/2007/02/rollin_with_mom.html>

Thank you for this link. I love this blog, and hadn't seen it before.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
New post: Weekend Cooking: Pandora’s Salted Angel’s Cake
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 25, 2:09 pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:

> > I was just reminiscing about lumpia and I think the first time
> > I saw the word was in Holland. Are they perhaps an Indonesian food too
> > and far from unique?

> Let me just add that Wikipedia seems reiiable and says Lumpia are
> pastries of Chinese origin and were introduced to Java by Chinese
> immigrants. I am also told that Lumpia is the generic Dutch term for egg
> rolls, which agrees with my memories.

Well, given geography and history it's not much of a surprise that
there's lots of overlap in specific dishes. Lumpia are their form of
egg roll; pansit is their form of chow mein or yakisoba, soy sauce is
a commonly used flavoring. I don't know much about it but it seems to
me that their use of vinegar is characteristic, as is the use of
calamnsi and its juice. It's a kind of sour lime not used
elsewhere. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> Here are a couple of very different versions with green beans from
> well-regarded sources:
>
> <http://burntlumpia.typepad.com/burnt_lumpia/2007/02/rollin_with_mom.html>
>
> <http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Tagalog/Tagalog_Default_files/Philippine_Culture/Pagkaing%20Pilipino/PansitAtbp/LumpiangUbod.htm>
>
> Victor

thanks! I enjoyed the burntlumpia blog very much. I think that recipe is
very accurate to what I have enjoyed so much in the past.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> I haven't tried/found the truck yet but I used to like the chicken
> adobo and the pansit and the lumpia that a co-worker brought in for
> potlucks. -aem

Oh yes!! The best!! Once these folks start bringing in lumpia and pancit
to pot lucks, that is all anyone ever wants them to bring from then on!

I wish I lived in a city large enough to have food trucks. They're so
hot right now and so varied. I'd love to try some that I read about.