Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken - it's what's for dinner (Saturday)

I wanted to make chicken cacciatore, but every recipe was different so
I made up my own version.

I wanted to start with stewed tomatoes because they have green
peppers, onions and herbs already, but I only had canned diced
tomatoes so I went with that. I whizzed up 3/4 of the can in the food
processor and left the rest chunky. Added garlic, oregano and some
Italian seasoning.

I cut up the partially frozen chicken (breasts) into slices about 1/2
inch thick. Seasoned with salt and pepper, sauteed them quickly in
olive oil until lightly browned (set aside). I like using meats that
aren't completely thawed because I can brown them w/o over cooking.
After that I sautéed up some onion and kept it in the pan. Then I
dumped my tomato mixture and the chicken in and continued cooking
until the chicken was done (but not over done).

I served this on a bed of whole wheat linguini. Hubby pronounced it
delicious and said it tasted like spaghetti with chicken. <sigh>

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 31, 9:36*am, sf > wrote:
> I wanted to make chicken cacciatore, but every recipe was different so
> I made up my own version.
>
> I wanted to start with stewed tomatoes because they have green
> peppers, onions and herbs already, but I only had canned diced
> tomatoes so I went with that. *I whizzed up 3/4 of the can in the food
> processor and left the rest chunky. *Added garlic, oregano and some
> Italian seasoning.
>
> I cut up the partially frozen chicken (breasts) into slices about 1/2
> inch thick. *Seasoned with salt and pepper, sauteed them quickly in
> olive oil until lightly browned (set aside). *I like using meats that
> aren't completely thawed because I can brown them w/o over cooking.
> After that I sautéed up some onion and kept it in the pan. *Then I
> dumped my tomato mixture and the chicken in and continued cooking
> until the chicken was done (but not over done).
>
> I served this on a bed of whole wheat linguini. *Hubby pronounced it
> delicious and said it tasted like spaghetti with chicken. *<sigh>
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

===============================

I think you did very well! That's what it's supposed to taste like.
Pandora or Giusi will please correct me if I'm wrong, but "Cacciatore"
means "hunter" and it was the dish that hunters cooked outside over an
open fire.

I learned that from the Italian lyric to a madrigal by Orlando
deLassus. Hunters would take an onion and maybe some olive oil and
tomatoes with them, pick whatever wild herbs they found growing, and
cook one of the birds (pheasant, guinea hen) they caught to eat right
away, before taking the rest of the catch home. I think whatever you
put in that dish besides tomatoes onions and herbs would be fine. I
think they also took wine!

Lynn in Fargo
Contemplating the fact that she has all the ingredients . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> I wanted to make chicken cacciatore, but every recipe was different so
> I made up my own version.
>
> I wanted to start with stewed tomatoes because they have green
> peppers, onions and herbs already, but I only had canned diced
> tomatoes so I went with that. I whizzed up 3/4 of the can in the food
> processor and left the rest chunky. Added garlic, oregano and some
> Italian seasoning.
>
> I cut up the partially frozen chicken (breasts) into slices about 1/2
> inch thick. Seasoned with salt and pepper, sauteed them quickly in
> olive oil until lightly browned (set aside). I like using meats that
> aren't completely thawed because I can brown them w/o over cooking.
> After that I sautéed up some onion and kept it in the pan. Then I
> dumped my tomato mixture and the chicken in and continued cooking
> until the chicken was done (but not over done).
>
> I served this on a bed of whole wheat linguini. Hubby pronounced it
> delicious and said it tasted like spaghetti with chicken. <sigh>

<lol> Can't satisfy everyone. :-) I personally love chicken in a
marinara type sauce and it goes well served over veggies, pasta or rice
imho.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I wanted to make chicken cacciatore, but every recipe was different so
> I made up my own version.
>
> I wanted to start with stewed tomatoes because they have green
> peppers, onions and herbs already, but I only had canned diced
> tomatoes so I went with that. I whizzed up 3/4 of the can in the food
> processor and left the rest chunky. Added garlic, oregano and some
> Italian seasoning.
>
> I cut up the partially frozen chicken (breasts) into slices about 1/2
> inch thick. Seasoned with salt and pepper, sauteed them quickly in
> olive oil until lightly browned (set aside). I like using meats that
> aren't completely thawed because I can brown them w/o over cooking.
> After that I sautéed up some onion and kept it in the pan. Then I
> dumped my tomato mixture and the chicken in and continued cooking
> until the chicken was done (but not over done).
>
> I served this on a bed of whole wheat linguini. Hubby pronounced it
> delicious and said it tasted like spaghetti with chicken. <sigh>
>

> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Good Job!

Try an egg wash then dip into a 50/50 mix of Parmesan cheese & breadcrumbs
before frying.

It makes a nice coating to soak up the sauce....

:-)

Dimitri