notbob

Default Rick Bayless sells out!

Was that Rick Bayless I saw doing a Taco Bell commercial!? I'd hoped,
despite that whiney, weedling, voice Rick uses in his Mexico: One
Plate at a Time program, an affectation that makes him sound like some
sleezy snake oil salesman, he actually had some integrity. His
recipes are so good. But, alas, I guess TB found his price point.
I'd expect it from Emeril or Bobby Flay, but hoped Rick had a little
more backbone. I hope this doesn't become a trend.

nb
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Was that Rick Bayless I saw doing a Taco Bell commercial!? I'd hoped,
> despite that whiney, weedling, voice Rick uses in his Mexico: One
> Plate at a Time program, an affectation that makes him sound like some
> sleezy snake oil salesman, he actually had some integrity. His
> recipes are so good. But, alas, I guess TB found his price point.
> I'd expect it from Emeril or Bobby Flay, but hoped Rick had a little
> more backbone. I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Probably not, but you may have seen him on a Burger King commercial or two.
He explains why he did it on his website and there's a very long, long
discussion going on in egullet on the same topic.

rona

Jack Schidt®

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Was that Rick Bayless I saw doing a Taco Bell commercial!? I'd hoped,
> despite that whiney, weedling, voice Rick uses in his Mexico: One
> Plate at a Time program, an affectation that makes him sound like some
> sleezy snake oil salesman, he actually had some integrity. His
> recipes are so good. But, alas, I guess TB found his price point.
> I'd expect it from Emeril or Bobby Flay, but hoped Rick had a little
> more backbone. I hope this doesn't become a trend.
>
> nb

Shows to go ya, every person has his/her price. Isn't that Rachel hawking
for burger king? When Dianne Kennedy shills for Chilis, I'm gonna boycott
food and eat air.

Jack Sellout

notbob

On 2003-10-31, Rona Yuthasastrakosol > wrote:

> discussion going on in egullet on the same topic.

Thanks for the pointer. An interesting website (egullet).

nb
Bob Pastorio

notbob wrote:

> Was that Rick Bayless I saw doing a Taco Bell commercial!? I'd hoped,
> despite that whiney, weedling, voice Rick uses in his Mexico: One
> Plate at a Time program, an affectation that makes him sound like some
> sleezy snake oil salesman, he actually had some integrity. His
> recipes are so good. But, alas, I guess TB found his price point.
> I'd expect it from Emeril or Bobby Flay, but hoped Rick had a little
> more backbone. I hope this doesn't become a trend.

I'm so glad you're notbob.

It's Burger King and one specific product.

Bayliss says that the people who are promoting sustainable/healthy
eating (like him) should be encouraging big companies, particularly
fast-food ones, to follow suit. One way is to support tangible efforts
that head in that direction. Promote the better stuff at the expense
of the lesser.

He's donating all his checks from BK to various farms that grow high
quality produce within the guidelines he wants to follow.

Pastorio

notbob

On 2003-10-31, Jack Schidt® > wrote:

> Shows to go ya, every person has his/her price. Isn't that Rachel hawking
> for burger king? When Dianne Kennedy shills for Chilis, I'm gonna boycott
> food and eat air.

I just read Rick's explanation for the BK ads. What a crock! It's
bad enough he's a blatant sellout, but to try and bullshit all his
fans with that load of bullocks about steering the great unwashed
toward a more healthy sandwich is just too much. Why can't people
just own up.

"WhatamI ...crazy!? I did it for the freakin' money!".

Now I could respect that. But, that horse crap on his website
.....well now, my only recourse is to steal his cookbooks.

nb
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"notbob" > wrote in message

> Thanks for the pointer. An interesting website (egullet).
>
> nb

It can be great fun to read, and also very helpful. A lot of industry
professionals post there (Paula Wolfert, Michael Laiskonis, Tony Bourdain)
and they have no problems (mostly) with answering mundane questions from
amateurs and ordinary people like me :-). Some people rfc has lost can be
found to be very active over on eGullet. Oh, both Rachel Ray and Rick
Bayless read eGullet, so they read all of the negative comments on their BK
ads (and RR also read not so nice comments on her FHM photos).

For a good laugh, search for Tony Bourdain's post on the 2003 James Beard
Awards, and also on perfume samples in Gourmet magazine (women might enjoy
that one more than men, though :-)).

rona

Nancy Young

notbob wrote:

> Was that Rick Bayless I saw doing a Taco Bell commercial!? I'd hoped,
> despite that whiney, weedling, voice Rick uses in his Mexico: One
> Plate at a Time program, an affectation that makes him sound like some
> sleezy snake oil salesman, he actually had some integrity.

I have to say, that was a big laugh for me. I never understood how
anyone could stand his style of speech. You described it very well.
I'm sure that will offend his many fans, but that voice makes me
want to say, I was 5 like A LONG TIME AGO!? Just speak.

nancy
Frogleg

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:48:09 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Becoming a chef doesn't involve a vow of poverty. Just because dear
Julia never smiled over a serving of KFC doesn't mean that if a pop
star in *any* field chooses to make a buck off his/her celebrity, they
are "selling out." I'm sure high-profile chefs are constantly asked
for endorsements of one sort or another. Another poster said Bayliss
was donating the money to some sort of food-related organization, but
even if he weren't, it's not criminal to accept pay for services in
legitimate enterprises. Did Martha Stewart "sell out" to K-Mart? She
may be the high priestess of Domestic Science, but everyone pretty
much knows she was out for the $$. Presumably the lines of products
she endorses are of a price/quality she believed wouldn't ruin her
street cred.
Jack Schidt®

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:48:09 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >I hope this doesn't become a trend.

> Becoming a chef doesn't involve a vow of poverty. Just because dear
> Julia never smiled over a serving of KFC doesn't mean that if a pop
> star in *any* field chooses to make a buck off his/her celebrity, they
> are "selling out." I'm sure high-profile chefs are constantly asked
> for endorsements of one sort or another. Another poster said Bayliss
> was donating the money to some sort of food-related organization, but
> even if he weren't, it's not criminal to accept pay for services in
> legitimate enterprises. Did Martha Stewart "sell out" to K-Mart? She
> may be the high priestess of Domestic Science, but everyone pretty
> much knows she was out for the $$. Presumably the lines of products
> she endorses are of a price/quality she believed wouldn't ruin her
> street cred.

Yeah, but Burger King?

Jack Sold

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

<piggy-backing>

> Bob Pastorio wrote inter alia:
>

> You read the entire thread except maybe you didn't? That about it?
> The posts are consecutive. You know, one after another. Not all that
> hard to follow.>>

Actually, just because the posts are consecutive doesn't mean a post is
directly related to the post before it. For example, post #1 might be
followed by 10 posts all referring to it, then there might be 1 post
referring to post #5, 2 posts referring to post #7, then 8 more referring to
post #1. It becomes even more difficult when some do not quote the post
they are replying to (and that happens fairly often on e-Gullet) so you have
no idea to which post they are referring.

rona

kag

is it a fact that bayless did a tacobell ad? havent seen it anywhere.

Bob Pastorio

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> <piggy-backing>
>
>>Bob Pastorio wrote inter alia:
>>
>>You read the entire thread except maybe you didn't? That about it?
>>The posts are consecutive. You know, one after another. Not all that
>>hard to follow.>>
>>

> Actually, just because the posts are consecutive doesn't mean a post is
> directly related to the post before it. For example, post #1 might be
> followed by 10 posts all referring to it, then there might be 1 post
> referring to post #5, 2 posts referring to post #7, then 8 more referring to
> post #1. It becomes even more difficult when some do not quote the post
> they are replying to (and that happens fairly often on e-Gullet) so you have
> no idea to which post they are referring.

I'm a subscriber to eGullet, too, and have slogged through a few
puzzlers. I understand the difficulty of following some of the
threads, particularly the longer ones. I guess I didn't explain myself
clearly.

She said she read the entire thread but may have missed some.
Contradictory? We didn't say anything about sequence, just that they
were all available in one place, one after another. It was more her
narrow-eyed imputation of perfidy and greed that pushed my button
here. Accused, judged and condemned all in one short post, facts be
damned.

Pastorio

Bob Pastorio

kag wrote:

> is it a fact that bayless did a tacobell ad? havent seen it anywhere.

Burger King.

Pastorio

Kenneth Leja

notbob > wrote in message news:<tfxob.54494$275.136523@attbi_s53>...
> Was that Rick Bayless I saw doing a Taco Bell commercial!? I'd hoped,
> despite that whiney, weedling, voice Rick uses in his Mexico: One
> Plate at a Time program, an affectation that makes him sound like some
> sleezy snake oil salesman, he actually had some integrity. His
> recipes are so good. But, alas, I guess TB found his price point.
> I'd expect it from Emeril or Bobby Flay, but hoped Rick had a little
> more backbone. I hope this doesn't become a trend.
>
> nb

Taco Bell is using Bayless but vice versa is also true. Bayless will
become better known and more people will become aware of authentic
Mexican food.

Also, Bayless is not a snobby purist. He prefers authenticity but he
doesn't hold up his nose at popular tastes or cultural crossbreeding.
Lighten up, dude.

notbob

On 2003-11-01, Nancy Young > wrote:

> I have to say, that was a big laugh for me. I never understood how
> anyone could stand his style of speech. You described it very well.
> I'm sure that will offend his many fans, but that voice makes me
> want to say, I was 5 like A LONG TIME AGO!? Just speak.

Yeah. Drives me crazy. What makes it particularly annoying is he
doesn't normally talk like that. I once heard him on a live radio
interview.

nb
notbob

On 2003-11-01, Naomi Darvell > wrote:

> If you can back up what you said about the donation being part of RB's contract
> with BK, I'd like to see that.

While we're waiting for Bob to back up his claim, we can ruminate on
this little tidbit:

"At Frontera Grill in Chicago, food left over at the end of the
evening is given to nontipped kitchen workers to take home. Says
Jennifer Fife, assistant to Chef Rick Bayless, "They get first dibs on
anything we can't use the next day or hold over the weekend.""

IOW, he gives his staff the garbage. Now, you just know someone with
such a maganimous nature has only the most altruistic motives.

nb
Goomba38

notbob wrote:

> "At Frontera Grill in Chicago, food left over at the end of the
> evening is given to nontipped kitchen workers to take home. Says
> Jennifer Fife, assistant to Chef Rick Bayless, "They get first dibs on
> anything we can't use the next day or hold over the weekend.""
>
> IOW, he gives his staff the garbage. Now, you just know someone with
> such a maganimous nature has only the most altruistic motives.

I don't consider that garbage unless it's wasted. Many upscale eateries donate excess
production to soup kitchens and the like. For him to offer his employees first dibs
is considerate in my book. If they're insulted by it they can just leave it there.
Goomba

Jack Schidt®

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2003-11-01, Naomi Darvell > wrote:
> >
> > If you can back up what you said about the donation being part of RB's

contract
> > with BK, I'd like to see that.

> While we're waiting for Bob to back up his claim, we can ruminate on
> this little tidbit:
>
> "At Frontera Grill in Chicago, food left over at the end of the
> evening is given to nontipped kitchen workers to take home. Says
> Jennifer Fife, assistant to Chef Rick Bayless, "They get first dibs on
> anything we can't use the next day or hold over the weekend.""

That's known as 'benefits'

Jack Fringe

notbob

On 2003-11-01, Goomba38 > wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>
>> "At Frontera Grill in Chicago, food left over at the end of the
>> evening is given to nontipped kitchen workers to take home. Says
>> Jennifer Fife, assistant to Chef Rick Bayless, "They get first dibs on
>> anything we can't use the next day or hold over the weekend.""
>>
>> IOW, he gives his staff the garbage. Now, you just know someone with
>> such a maganimous nature has only the most altruistic motives.

> I don't consider that garbage unless it's wasted. Many upscale eateries donate excess
> production to soup kitchens and the like. For him to offer his employees first dibs
> is considerate in my book. If they're insulted by it they can just leave it there.
> Goomba

For "first dibs" to be anything less than a given would be even more
insulting.

nb

Bob Pastorio

notbob wrote:

> On 2003-11-01, Naomi Darvell > wrote:
>
>>If you can back up what you said about the donation being part of RB's contract
>>with BK, I'd like to see that.

> While we're waiting for Bob to back up his claim, we can ruminate on
> this little tidbit:
>
> "At Frontera Grill in Chicago, food left over at the end of the
> evening is given to nontipped kitchen workers to take home. Says
> Jennifer Fife, assistant to Chef Rick Bayless, "They get first dibs on
> anything we can't use the next day or hold over the weekend.""
>
> IOW, he gives his staff the garbage. Now, you just know someone with
> such a maganimous nature has only the most altruistic motives.

Wonderful. Such deep thinking.

Food left over at the end of the night isn't garbage. It's merely
unsold food. And, in Bayliss operations, rather high quality food. He
gives his employees food. Only someone who hasn't the remotest grasp
on how restaurants work would think of it as garbage. It's good food
that saves employees money. It's good enough to sell at 9:59. It's
still good enough to sell at 10:05 when he gives it to the very people
who made it. Do you think the prep people who spent the time making it
think it's garbage?

Pastorio

Bob Pastorio

notbob wrote:

> On 2003-11-01, Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>>notbob wrote:
>>

>>>"At Frontera Grill in Chicago, food left over at the end of the
>>>evening is given to nontipped kitchen workers to take home. Says
>>>Jennifer Fife, assistant to Chef Rick Bayless, "They get first dibs on
>>>anything we can't use the next day or hold over the weekend.""
>>>
>>>IOW, he gives his staff the garbage. Now, you just know someone with
>>>such a maganimous nature has only the most altruistic motives.

>>I don't consider that garbage unless it's wasted. Many upscale eateries donate excess
>>production to soup kitchens and the like. For him to offer his employees first dibs
>>is considerate in my book. If they're insulted by it they can just leave it there.
>>Goomba

> For "first dibs" to be anything less than a given would be even more
> insulting.

No matter how hard you try, you can't transform generosity into
pettiness like the sort you're showing.

Pastorio

notbob

On 2003-11-02, Bob Pastorio > wrote:

> No matter how hard you try, you can't transform generosity into
> pettiness like the sort you're showing.

Kind of an obnoxious ****, aintcha?

nb
notbob

On 2003-11-02, Bob Pastorio > wrote:

> Wonderful. Such deep thinking.

Deep enough to know the definition of garbage. If they can't hold it,
what do you think they do with it? Weave it into gold? Moron.

nb
Bob Pastorio

notbob wrote:

> On 2003-11-02, Bob Pastorio > wrote:
>
>>Wonderful. Such deep thinking.

> Deep enough to know the definition of garbage. If they can't hold it,
> what do you think they do with it? Weave it into gold? Moron.

I didn't actually mean that I thought you were a deep thinker. It was
a sarcastic comment. Sorry that went over your head.

I bet you don't have any leftovers in your house. And I bet you never
order soup in restaurants. Or twice-baked potatoes. Never take the
beans in vinaigrette from the salad bar. You know, ****wit, food isn't
bad because the clock moves.

I know what they do with it. They let the people who made it enjoy the
fruits of their labor. Just like I did in my restaurants. And most
nights, we sat and ate together. And they took home the extra for
another meal or two. As did I. The only garbage in this thread is
between your ears.

Food left over at the end of the night isn't garbage. It's merely
unsold food. And, in Bayless operations, rather high quality food. He
gives his employees food. Only someone who hasn't the remotest grasp
on how restaurants work would think of it as garbage. It's good food
that saves employees money. It's good enough to sell at 9:59. It's
still good enough to sell at 10:05 when he gives it to the very people
who made it. Do you think the prep people who spent the time making it
think it's garbage?

Pastorio

Bob Pastorio

notbob wrote:
> On 2003-11-02, Bob Pastorio > wrote:
>
>>No matter how hard you try, you can't transform generosity into
>>pettiness like the sort you're showing.

> Kind of an obnoxious ****, aintcha?

Oh, look. You misspelled "smarter than me"

Pastorio

levelwave

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> The one thing I don't quite yet understand is just who BK is marketing to
> with this Bayless spot. I think anyone who rushes down to their local BK to
> try this sangwich isn't going to care who Rick Bayless is or quite probably
> not know who he is. His fans are going to be put off and most likely aren't
> the types who frequent fast food places anyway. It seems odd to me, because
> he's not a celebrity like Michael Jordan or Eminem, but he's not a virtual
> unknown like the other guy in that band Wham.

I'd say 99% of the people who typically eat at Burger King have no idea
who Rick Bayless is (or care for that matter)... It's a futile attempt
to gain some respect with the foodies in hopes it will trickle on down
the food chain... equivalent to Hawking teaching remedial math to
Jill... It just ain't gonna work...

~john!

modom

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:34:44 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:
>
>I read the rant, and I agree.
>
>The one thing I don't quite yet understand is just who BK is marketing to
>with this Bayless spot. I think anyone who rushes down to their local BK to
>try this sangwich isn't going to care who Rick Bayless is or quite probably
>not know who he is. His fans are going to be put off and most likely aren't
>the types who frequent fast food places anyway. It seems odd to me, because
>he's not a celebrity like Michael Jordan or Eminem, but he's not a virtual
>unknown like the other guy in that band Wham.
>
>I think I have it figured out. "New Sangwich at BK and here's some dude to
>say hi and tell ya about it."
>
>Jack Whopper

Actually, I sometimes -- errr..often -- find myself in the situation
of choosing a fast food joint on my commute to Dallas. And I own a
Rick Bayless cookbook, too. So I guess it is I for whom the huckster
intones. Call it a moral/aesthetic/gastronomic failing, but there it
is. And so in the fullness of time (as a particularly pretentious
narrator of a Snored through the Rings film might put it) I have had
opportunity to eat Burger King fare. I've not sampled the
Bayless-specific chicken, but I've had the Rachel Ray melange.

Yuck. Gummy bread. Salty chicken. Pathetic vegetables. Anemic
mustard sauce.

This has the makings of a culinary catastrophe on the order of the
Putnam mutual funds' snafu in the financial world. A public trust has
been abused, I tell you.

This is not to say that his cookbooks are any less brilliant, however.
He's no Diana Kennedy, but who is? Anyhow, she mumbled too much in
the cooking shows she did -- at least the ones I saw back in the early
90s. Bayless can communicate and he knows his chiles. The man is to
be praised and prized for his Mexican work.

modom
notbob

On 2003-11-04, modom > wrote:

> This is not to say that his cookbooks are any less brilliant, however.
> He's no Diana Kennedy, but who is? Anyhow, she mumbled too much in
> the cooking shows she did -- at least the ones I saw back in the early
> 90s. Bayless can communicate and he knows his chiles. The man is to
> be praised and prized for his Mexican work.

Agreed. I've made of few of his recipes. Excellent . I was just
kidding about stealing his books. I go down to Border's and write 'em
down.

nb
modom

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 03:38:34 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2003-11-04, modom > wrote:
>
>> This is not to say that his cookbooks are any less brilliant, however.
>> He's no Diana Kennedy, but who is? Anyhow, she mumbled too much in
>> the cooking shows she did -- at least the ones I saw back in the early
>> 90s. Bayless can communicate and he knows his chiles. The man is to
>> be praised and prized for his Mexican work.

>Agreed. I've made of few of his recipes. Excellent . I was just
>kidding about stealing his books. I go down to Border's and write 'em
>down.
>
>nb

Psst. Laptop and a hand-held scanner.

modom

levelwave

modom wrote:

> I just read Bourdain's rant. Magnificent!

gotta' link?...

~john!

modom

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:13:06 -0500, levelwave >
wrote:

>modom wrote:
>
>> I just read Bourdain's rant. Magnificent!

>gotta' link?...
>
>~john!

http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?...0&#entry422130

It's in there somewhere.

modom
levelwave

modom wrote:

> http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?...0&#entry422130
>
> It's in there somewhere.

I'm guessing the Bourdain is Anthony Bourdain?... What's the spill on
eGullet.com?... that's a new one to me...

~john!

Jack Schidt®

"modom" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 03:38:34 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >On 2003-11-04, modom > wrote:
> >
> >> This is not to say that his cookbooks are any less brilliant, however.
> >> He's no Diana Kennedy, but who is? Anyhow, she mumbled too much in
> >> the cooking shows she did -- at least the ones I saw back in the early
> >> 90s. Bayless can communicate and he knows his chiles. The man is to
> >> be praised and prized for his Mexican work.

> >Agreed. I've made of few of his recipes. Excellent . I was just
> >kidding about stealing his books. I go down to Border's and write 'em
> >down.
> >
> >nb

> Psst. Laptop and a hand-held scanner.

Or a digital camera. Not that I've done this, but I hear tell....

Jack Pic

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"modom" > wrote in message
<snip >
> I just read Bourdain's rant. Magnificent! It's a real treat to come
> across such aggression tempered with learning and style on the Net.
> The "stunningly egocentric" part at the beginning was a especially
> well met, considering the self-esteem of the author.

The guy is seriously funny. Check out his reaction to a perceived slight by
Alton Brown at http://tinyurl.com/tlf9 . I don't think it's mentioned in
that thread, but the whole thing turned out to be a misunderstanding and
they made up in the end.

rona

Jeffrey P. Vasquez

Rona wrote:
> For a good laugh, search for Tony Bourdain's post on the 2003 James
> Beard Awards, and also on perfume samples in Gourmet magazine (women
> might enjoy that one more than men, though :-)).

Hi Rona!

You know, I went and searched and couldn't locate this posting. You
wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?

Thanks!
Jeffrey P. Vasquez

Bob Pastorio wrote:
> In his contract with BK.

Now Mr. Pastorio, I have enjoyed and been enlightened by your posts in the
past, so do not count mine as hostile. However:

You are condemning those forming their opinions in the absence of facts,
but in making your case you are citing facts not in evidence (to my
knowledge). Is this contract public record? Is it posted somewhere that we
might access it? If not, may we ask how you came by this information?

Mr. Bourdain's moral refutation notwithstanding...
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Jeffrey P. Vasquez" > wrote in
message . 17...

> Hi Rona!
>
> You know, I went and searched and couldn't locate this posting. You
> wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?
>
> Thanks!

Try http://tinyurl.com/tzr5 . If it doesn't work, go to the search function
and use "2003" in Keywords, "Bourdain" in Member Name, search in all
categories (I usually check off "show results as posts" but it won't make a
difference in this case), and then select "Any Date". e-Gullet's search
functions sucks, but once you get the hang of it, you can usually find what
you want.

As for the perfume samples post, it's post preview #368098 , but if you
search as above but use "balls" as your keyword instead of "2003", it'll pop
up under the thread titled "Bourdain." It's just a little funny thinking of
him rubbing a perfume strip on his balls--and I don't doubt that he would!

rona

Jeffrey P. Vasquez

Rona wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/tzr5

That worked.

Priceless!

Thank you.
Ranee Mueller

In article <iLWob.58760$mZ5.349068@attbi_s54>, notbob
> wrote:

> "At Frontera Grill in Chicago, food left over at the end of the
> evening is given to nontipped kitchen workers to take home. Says
> Jennifer Fife, assistant to Chef Rick Bayless, "They get first dibs on
> anything we can't use the next day or hold over the weekend.""
>
> IOW, he gives his staff the garbage. Now, you just know someone with
> such a maganimous nature has only the most altruistic motives.

So, this begs the question: Do you think the food used for Second
Harvest/Food Rescue type organizations is garbage, too? Or is it just
that "garbage" is good enough for homeless people and not for working
folks?

I would be thrilled to work at a restaurant with good food that
allowed us to take food home. It would be higher quality than fast
food, fresh, tasty, and would help save money on the food bill. I'd see
it as a benefit, not an insult.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24