Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Green garlic season started

Probably I'm repeating myself, but it's the first sign that spring
is starting -- green garlic is now in the markets.

Tonight, we had foul made with green garlic instead of dried
garlic and it is noticeably superior to an otherwise identical,
still perfectlyh good batch of foul I made a couple weeks ago.

Soon there will be fresh favas. I cannot wait.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Probably I'm repeating myself, but it's the first sign that spring
> is starting -- green garlic is now in the markets.
>
> Tonight, we had foul made with green garlic instead of dried
> garlic and it is noticeably superior to an otherwise identical,
> still perfectlyh good batch of foul I made a couple weeks ago.
>
> Soon there will be fresh favas. I cannot wait.
>
> Steve

Actually, Steve....What IS green garlic?...Do you mean 'Newly Grown' and
harvested normal garlic bulbs?

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bigbazza > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> Probably I'm repeating myself, but it's the first sign that spring
>> is starting -- green garlic is now in the markets.

> Actually, Steve....What IS green garlic?...Do you mean
> 'Newly Grown' and harvested normal garlic bulbs?

This stuff looks like a small leek, sort of purpulish, but
cylindrical rather than bulbous. There is not yet any
segmentation into cloves. Later in the season it will
look different.

I think it's probably the same species/variety as usual garlic,
just young.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Bigbazza > wrote:
>
>>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>>> Probably I'm repeating myself, but it's the first sign that spring
>>> is starting -- green garlic is now in the markets.

>> Actually, Steve....What IS green garlic?...Do you mean
>> 'Newly Grown' and harvested normal garlic bulbs?

> This stuff looks like a small leek, sort of purpulish, but
> cylindrical rather than bulbous. There is not yet any
> segmentation into cloves. Later in the season it will
> look different.
>
> I think it's probably the same species/variety as usual garlic,
> just young.
>
> Steve

I just looked up Google, Steve....So, here it is...

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/greengarlic.htm

I have never seen it here in Oz, but I am intending each Saturday to go
along to a Farmers Market that is not far from me..about 0.3 of a Kilometre
only...I keep forgetting it though....I pass the place where it is held each
day on the way there and back to my youngest Granddaughter's school... It is
only open on a Saturday!

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 16:57:08 +1100, "Bigbazza" >
wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
>> Bigbazza > wrote:

>>> Actually, Steve....What IS green garlic?...Do you mean
>>> 'Newly Grown' and harvested normal garlic bulbs?

>> This stuff looks like a small leek, sort of purpulish, but
>> cylindrical rather than bulbous. There is not yet any
>> segmentation into cloves. Later in the season it will
>> look different.
>>
>> I think it's probably the same species/variety as usual garlic,
>> just young.
>>
>> Steve

>I just looked up Google, Steve....So, here it is...
>
>http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/greengarlic.htm
>
>I have never seen it here in Oz, but I am intending each Saturday to go
>along to a Farmers Market that is not far from me..about 0.3 of a Kilometre
>only...I keep forgetting it though....I pass the place where it is held each
>day on the way there and back to my youngest Granddaughter's school... It is
>only open on a Saturday!
>
>Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Sounds like you walk her to school daily. Fabulous! Giving Barry a
slap on the back and telling him to mark his calendar for this coming
Saturday.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bigbazza > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>> This stuff looks like a small leek, sort of purpulish, but
>> cylindrical rather than bulbous. There is not yet any
>> segmentation into cloves. Later in the season it will
>> look different.

>I just looked up Google, Steve....So, here it is...
>
>http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/greengarlic.htm

The photo in the above link looks very much like the green
garlic I have now.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Steve Pope wrote:

>> http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/greengarlic.htm

> The photo in the above link looks very much like the green
> garlic I have now.

Dang it! I was at the farmers market yesterday and the asian booth had
these but were labeled as onions. Since I already had green onions, I
passed. I was tempted to get them though. Now I'm wishing I had.

Next week ...

--Lin (looking forward to the torpedo onions, too)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>>> http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/greengarlic.htm

>> The photo in the above link looks very much like the green
>> garlic I have now.

>Dang it! I was at the farmers market yesterday and the asian booth had
>these but were labeled as onions. Since I already had green onions, I
>passed.

If they were labeled onions they probably were. Onion and
garlic can look pretty much identical.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 16:57:08 +1100, "Bigbazza" >
> wrote:

>>> This stuff looks like a small leek, sort of purpulish, but
>>> cylindrical rather than bulbous. There is not yet any
>>> segmentation into cloves. Later in the season it will
>>> look different.
>>>
>>> I think it's probably the same species/variety as usual garlic,
>>> just young.
>>>
>>> Steve

>>I just looked up Google, Steve....So, here it is...
>>
>>http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/greengarlic.htm
>>
>>I have never seen it here in Oz, but I am intending each Saturday to go
>>along to a Farmers Market that is not far from me..about 0.3 of a
>>Kilometre
>>only...I keep forgetting it though....I pass the place where it is held
>>each
>>day on the way there and back to my youngest Granddaughter's school... It
>>is
>>only open on a Saturday!
>>
>>Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

> Sounds like you walk her to school daily. Fabulous! Giving Barry a
> slap on the back and telling him to mark his calendar for this coming
> Saturday.

Actual No....I drive her to school...8 Km away...I live at the edge of the
suburb, just as the road enters the wooded area of the National Park.....We
have a large showground there that I pass twice a day, SF.....But I will try
to remember though next Saturday :-)

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 09:31:16 +1100, "Bigbazza" >
wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 16:57:08 +1100, "Bigbazza" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I have never seen it here in Oz, but I am intending each Saturday to go
>>>along to a Farmers Market that is not far from me..about 0.3 of a
>>>Kilometre
>>>only...I keep forgetting it though....I pass the place where it is held
>>>each
>>>day on the way there and back to my youngest Granddaughter's school... It
>>>is
>>>only open on a Saturday!
>>>
>>>Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

>> Sounds like you walk her to school daily. Fabulous! Giving Barry a
>> slap on the back and telling him to mark his calendar for this coming
>> Saturday.
>>

>Actual No....I drive her to school...8 Km away...I live at the edge of the
>suburb, just as the road enters the wooded area of the National Park.....We
>have a large showground there that I pass twice a day, SF.....But I will try
>to remember though next Saturday :-)

This might help.... but you have to remember to look at it. LOL!
http://www.google.com/intl/en/google.../overview.html

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Bigbazza > wrote:
>
>>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>>> Probably I'm repeating myself, but it's the first sign that spring
>>> is starting -- green garlic is now in the markets.

>> Actually, Steve....What IS green garlic?...Do you mean
>> 'Newly Grown' and harvested normal garlic bulbs?

> This stuff looks like a small leek, sort of purpulish, but
> cylindrical rather than bulbous. There is not yet any
> segmentation into cloves. Later in the season it will
> look different.
>
> I think it's probably the same species/variety as usual garlic,
> just young.
>
> Steve

It's young garlic. Not old enough to separate into bulbs yet. Grows with a
long stalk with a top that will flower if not cut off-those are pretty tasty
blanched and stir fried.
Very mild flavor.

Allium season has started Steve Pope General Cooking 0 12-11-2010 02:57 AM
Green Garlic season has started Steve Pope General Cooking 7 03-02-2008 01:53 AM
Green garlic kilikini General Cooking 15 19-07-2005 12:39 PM
Its Green Chili season Bob Barbecue 7 16-08-2004 08:51 AM
Late Season Preserves - Garlic Jelly Leslie G Preserving 0 26-10-2003 11:34 PM