Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Green Garlic season has started

Yesterday, the first green garlic appeared in the local
farmer's market.

We used it in a crab pasta -- 5 oz. of whole-wheat
fettucini, 8 oz. of dungeness crabmeat, four large
green garlies, sliced and sauteed in olive oil,
and a little sea salt crumbled in. This tasted as
good as it sounds.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 11:16:47 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>What's green garlic, Steve? At first I thought you were referring to
>the sprouting cloves and I was going to say that that started a while
>back here. ;-(

I'm not Steve, but green garlic is garlic before it has formed cloves.
It looks like big green onions, but with a definite garlic aroma.

http://www.mariquita.com/images/phot...een-garlic.jpg

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>What's green garlic, Steve?

It's a young garlic plant, pulled out of the ground before
the bulb has started to segment into cloves. It looks
like an outsized scallion (or perhaps a small leek), often
tinged purple. It is milder but fresher than standard
garlic.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> What's green garlic, Steve?

Young garlic, before the cloves are formed. It is still soft, with no
papery skins. I have some here. The white bulb, larger than that of a
green onion, is rather mild-tasting and smelling; the green
stalk/leaves, which consist of concentric layers, exactly like those of
a leek, are markedly more pungent.

Bubba

Allium season has started Steve Pope General Cooking 0 12-11-2010 02:57 AM
Green garlic season started Steve Pope General Cooking 12 07-03-2009 02:25 PM
Green garlic kilikini General Cooking 15 19-07-2005 12:39 PM
Its Green Chili season Bob Barbecue 7 16-08-2004 08:51 AM
Late Season Preserves - Garlic Jelly Leslie G Preserving 0 26-10-2003 11:34 PM