Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bay leaves

Bay leaf has legendary medicinal properties. It has astringent,
diuretic and digestive qualities and is a good appetite stimulant.
When pulped these leaves can be applied as an astringent to burns and
bruises. Oil from ripe berries is used in liqueurs, perfume and in
veterinary field. The acid from the leaves discourages moths.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Walker wrote:

> Bay leaf has legendary medicinal properties. It has astringent,
> diuretic and digestive qualities and is a good appetite stimulant.
> When pulped these leaves can be applied as an astringent to burns and
> bruises. Oil from ripe berries is used in liqueurs, perfume and in
> veterinary field. The acid from the leaves discourages moths.

Which bay leaf? There are four different species with
greatly different properties that produce "bay leaf".

You didn't know that, did you? You don't know very much
about herbs, do you? You only know what your boss tells
you to spam, which ain't much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Walker wrote:
>>
>> Bay leaf has legendary medicinal properties. It has astringent,
>> diuretic and digestive qualities and is a good appetite stimulant.
>> When pulped these leaves can be applied as an astringent to burns and
>> bruises. Oil from ripe berries is used in liqueurs, perfume and in
>> veterinary field. The acid from the leaves discourages moths.

> Which bay leaf? There are four different species with
> greatly different properties that produce "bay leaf".
>
> You didn't know that, did you? You don't know very much
> about herbs, do you? You only know what your boss tells
> you to spam, which ain't much.

I don't see any spamming. I don't see any links nor do I see him/her trying
to sell us anything.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> Which bay leaf? There are four different species with
> greatly different properties that produce "bay leaf".

Okay, I'm aware of Mediterranean bay and California bay...
what are the other two (or are there four speceis among
these two?)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>
>> Which bay leaf? There are four different species with
>> greatly different properties that produce "bay leaf".

> Okay, I'm aware of Mediterranean bay and California bay...
> what are the other two (or are there four speceis among
> these two?)

Mediterranean, Californian, West-Indian and Indonesian.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" > wrote in message

> "Steve Pope" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Which bay leaf? There are four different species with
>>> greatly different properties that produce "bay leaf".

>> Okay, I'm aware of Mediterranean bay and California bay...
>> what are the other two (or are there four speceis among
>> these two?)
>>

> Mediterranean, Californian, West-Indian and Indonesian.

Are they all laurel?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:33:11 -0500, "cyberpurrs"
> wrote:

>> Mediterranean, Californian, West-Indian and Indonesian.
>>

>Are they all laurel?

Don't forget the Turkish Variety....Penzey's believes they are the
most flavorful.

from Penzey's: Turkish Bay Leaves are the best in the world. Though
not as strong as the California variety, they have a natural depth of
flavor that the California Bay Leaves can't hope to match. Bay leaves
grow wild on the hilly mountains of western Turkey in the area around
Izmir (Smyrna). The wind there is perfect for growing bay leaves. Most
of the year it comes out of the west across the Mediterranean and
Aegean seas, picking up moisture and dropping it on the growing trees.
At the end of the summer the wind changes direction and comes out of
the south. Before it reaches the hills around Izmir it must pass over
a couple of mountain ridges, making it hot and dry, perfect for
quickly drying the leaves with a minimum of flavor loss. These winds
at times create a high risk of forest fires, which in years past have
led to a very small bay leaf harvest, but this year we seem to have a
nice supply for the coming season. The flavor of Bay Leaves is perfect
for adding to roast pork or chicken, pot roast, turkey, or ham, use
2-3 leaves and remove before serving. Bay Leaves are also perfect for
spaghetti sauce and chicken soup, use 2 per quart. A surprising fact
is that Bay Leaves improve the flavor of salt-free dishes with their
rich flavor. Note: bay leaves are very light (8 ounces by weight
equals one gallon by volume).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill > wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:33:11 -0500, "cyberpurrs"

> wrote:

>> [attribution lost] wrote

>>> Mediterranean, Californian, West-Indian and Indonesian.

>>Are they all laurel?

>Don't forget the Turkish Variety....Penzey's believes they are the
>most flavorful.

Yes, I assume they are Mediterranean. Most of Turkey is on
the Mediterranean.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cyberpurrs > wrote:

>"Michael Kuettner" > wrote in message

>>> Okay, I'm aware of Mediterranean bay and California bay...
>>> what are the other two (or are there four speceis among
>>> these two?)

>> Mediterranean, Californian, West-Indian and Indonesian.

>Are they all laurel?

Of the four mentioned on the Wikipedia page, three
are family _lauraceae_ (California, Mediterranean, and Indian),
and only one is genus _laurus_ (Mediterranean).

However the same page says the Indian one is "not a laurel",
while the California and Mediterranean ones are, so this
does not seem completely consistent to me.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote on Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:31:21 +0000 (UTC):

>>> Mediterranean, Californian, West-Indian and Indonesian.

>> Are they all laurel?

> Of the four mentioned on the Wikipedia page, three
> are family _lauraceae_ (California, Mediterranean, and
> Indian), and only one is genus _laurus_ (Mediterranean).

> However the same page says the Indian one is "not a laurel",
> while the California and Mediterranean ones are, so this
> does not seem completely consistent to me.

Since the genetically deprived have been loudly proclaiming that
cilantro tastes like soap or has no taste, I am probably genetically
programmed to say that bay leaves have no taste to me whether they come
from the Mediterranean, California, the West Indies, Indosesia or
Uzbekhistan.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I don't see any spamming. I don't see any links nor do I see him/her trying
> to sell us anything.

He plugged two commercial sites selling
herbal supplements in the ginger root thread.

That is the pourpose of his postings, to push
herbal supplements. These supplements are an
expensive waste of money, and many herbal supplements
have serious interactions with prescription drugs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I don't see any spamming. I don't see any links nor do I see him/her
>> trying
>> to sell us anything.

> He plugged two commercial sites selling
> herbal supplements in the ginger root thread.
>
> That is the pourpose of his postings, to push
> herbal supplements. These supplements are an
> expensive waste of money, and many herbal supplements
> have serious interactions with prescription drugs.

Sorry, I missed that Mark. But then again, I don't need a lesson in herbs,
spices or root vegetables so I really wasn't paying attention.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Since the genetically deprived have been loudly proclaiming that
> cilantro tastes like soap or has no taste, I am probably genetically
> programmed to say that bay leaves have no taste to me whether they come
> from the Mediterranean, California, the West Indies, Indosesia or
> Uzbekhistan.

I'd enjoy a wad of grass or single maple leaf thrown in and fished out
as much as a bay leaf. But that's just me. I understand that I'm missing
something.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Leonard Blaisdell > wrote:

> In article >,
> "James Silverton" > wrote:
>
> > Since the genetically deprived have been loudly proclaiming that
> > cilantro tastes like soap or has no taste, I am probably genetically
> > programmed to say that bay leaves have no taste to me whether they come
> > from the Mediterranean, California, the West Indies, Indosesia or
> > Uzbekhistan.

> I'd enjoy a wad of grass or single maple leaf thrown in and fished out
> as much as a bay leaf. But that's just me. I understand that I'm missing
> something.
>
> leo

I also get nada from bay leaves.
I wonder if it's the same gene that makes Cilantro taste like soap? :-)
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Mon, 23 Feb 2009 01:17:10 -0600:

>> In article >,
>> "James Silverton" > wrote:
>>
> >> Since the genetically deprived have been loudly proclaiming
> >> that cilantro tastes like soap or has no taste, I am
> >> probably genetically programmed to say that bay leaves have
> >> no taste to me whether they come from the Mediterranean,
> >> California, the West Indies, Indosesia or Uzbekhistan.

>> I'd enjoy a wad of grass or single maple leaf thrown in and
>> fished out as much as a bay leaf. But that's just me. I
>> understand that I'm missing something.
>>
>> leo

> I also get nada from bay leaves.
> I wonder if it's the same gene that makes Cilantro taste like
> soap? :-) --

As a statistic of one, it doesn't seem to be. I like cilantro!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Mon, 23 Feb 2009 01:17:10 -0600:

> >> I'd enjoy a wad of grass or single maple leaf thrown in and
> >> fished out as much as a bay leaf. But that's just me. I
> >> understand that I'm missing something.
> >>
> >> leo

> > I also get nada from bay leaves.
> > I wonder if it's the same gene that makes Cilantro taste like
> > soap? :-) --

> As a statistic of one, it doesn't seem to be. I like cilantro!

Might make an interesting survey...
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> cyberpurrs > wrote:

>>> Mediterranean, Californian, West-Indian and Indonesian.

>>Are they all laurel?

> Of the four mentioned on the Wikipedia page, three
> are family _lauraceae_ (California, Mediterranean, and Indian),
> and only one is genus _laurus_ (Mediterranean).
>
> However the same page says the Indian one is "not a laurel",
> while the California and Mediterranean ones are, so this
> does not seem completely consistent to me.

Californian bay leaf (Umbellularia californica) belongs to the Lauraceae.
Mediterranean bay leaf (Laurus nobilis), too.
Indonesian bay leaf (Eugenia polyantha) belongs to the Myrtaceae.
_West-Indian_ bay leaf are the leaves of the pimentum (allspice) tree
(Pimanta dioica),
which belongs to the Myrtaceae.
_Indian_ bay leaf (Cinnamomum tamala) belongs to the Lauraceae.
The Indian bay leaf may be used instead of cinnamon.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Omelet wrote on Mon, 23 Feb 2009 01:17:10 -0600:

>>> I'd enjoy a wad of grass or single maple leaf thrown in and
>>> fished out as much as a bay leaf. But that's just me. I
>>> understand that I'm missing something.
>>> leo

>> I also get nada from bay leaves.
>> I wonder if it's the same gene that makes Cilantro taste like soap?
>> :-) --

> As a statistic of one, it doesn't seem to be. I like cilantro!

I used to feel the same way about ginger, tastes like soap, i would go
so far as to request it not be used in any food i was ordering at an
Asian restaurant, to greater or lesser success depending on the restaurant.

It has such a good reputation that i decided to try using it in my home
cooking and for some reason it tasted fine. Adds a great deal to
various recipes, now i wonder if the food that tasted soapy in Asian
restaurants just didn't wash their dishes well
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:22:29 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't see any spamming. I don't see any links nor do I see him/her
>>> trying
>>> to sell us anything.

>> He plugged two commercial sites selling
>> herbal supplements in the ginger root thread.
>>
>> That is the pourpose of his postings, to push
>> herbal supplements. These supplements are an
>> expensive waste of money, and many herbal supplements
>> have serious interactions with prescription drugs.

> Sorry, I missed that Mark. But then again, I don't need a lesson in herbs,
> spices or root vegetables so I really wasn't paying attention.
>
> Jill

it's plain from your posts here that you don't feel you need lessons in
herbs or anything else, jill.

your pal,
blake

Bay leaves Gary General Cooking 48 07-08-2012 09:53 AM
The Re-Use of Leaves Ferris92 Tea 11 21-06-2007 08:08 PM
Leaves cha bing Tea 19 14-03-2007 04:54 PM
Tea Leaves Andy Petro Preserving 1 15-09-2006 09:14 AM
Bay Leaves... Katra General Cooking 47 04-04-2005 12:48 AM