Katra

Default Bay Leaves...

Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my mom
almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from her....

so what is up with Bay Leaves?
Why do I want to use them?
What flavor do they impart?

I understand you use them whole because you need to remove
them when you are done as they are toxic if eaten???

Please don't judge me, educate me!

Thank you! :-)

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

-L.

Katra wrote:
> Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my mom

> almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from

her....

> so what is up with Bay Leaves?

They are the leaves from the Bay tree.

> Why do I want to use them?

They make soups and stews very savory.

> What flavor do they impart?

Um...Bay flavor. ;P They are pretty strong. One is plenty.

http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=6337

> I understand you use them whole because you need to remove
> them when you are done as they are toxic if eaten???

I don't think so. I think they are just woody.

> Please don't judge me, educate me!

Well, howdya know if nobody teached ya?

> Thank you! :-)

Yer welcome!

-L.

I always use Bay leaves as dry bay leaves. Like all spices, it imparts
flavor into the food and we take it out when we eat the food. To
describe the flavor, it is a bit sharp and strong.

However, sometimes, when we make mixed spices, we do crush bay leaves
and that becomes a part of the meal.

Hope this helps!

Aaron Bergman

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my mom

> > almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from

> her....
> >
> > so what is up with Bay Leaves?

> They are the leaves from the Bay tree.

Aren't there two different types of bay leaves, Turkish bay and
California bay?

I read once that California bay leaves should be avoided, but I've never
done a comparison.

Aaron
Katra

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my mom

> > almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from

> her....
> >
> > so what is up with Bay Leaves?

> They are the leaves from the Bay tree.

<grins> THAT I knew!

> > Why do I want to use them?

> They make soups and stews very savory.

Are the similar in flavor to any other herb?
I have a small savory plant going now in the herb garden...

> > What flavor do they impart?

> Um...Bay flavor. ;P They are pretty strong. One is plenty.

Ok, guess I need to pick up a few and taste them.

> http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=6337

Hmmm... looks like I may experiment in adding them to marinade as well.
Good link, thanks!

> > I understand you use them whole because you need to remove
> > them when you are done as they are toxic if eaten???

> I don't think so. I think they are just woody.

Ok.

> > Please don't judge me, educate me!

> Well, howdya know if nobody teached ya?

Indeedy!

> > Thank you! :-)
> >

> Yer welcome!

;-D

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

jmcquown

Katra wrote:
> Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my mom
> almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from
> her....
>
> so what is up with Bay Leaves?
> Why do I want to use them?
> What flavor do they impart?
>
> I understand you use them whole because you need to remove
> them when you are done as they are toxic if eaten???
>
> Please don't judge me, educate me!
>
> Thank you! :-)
>
> Kat

No, they aren't toxic but they are sharp and pointy!

They impart a wonderful (don't know how to describe) taste to pot roasts,
soups and stews and even get tender when cooked but are still kinda sharp
and pointy. They are not something you want to get stuck between your
teeth. Once their job is done it's done; this is why you remove them.

Do not be afraid. I always put extra bay leaf in with corned beef along
with the peppercorn packet. It's nice with cabbage, and other veggies, too.

Jill

>> ,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

Katra

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my mom
> > almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from
> > her....
> >
> > so what is up with Bay Leaves?
> > Why do I want to use them?
> > What flavor do they impart?
> >
> > I understand you use them whole because you need to remove
> > them when you are done as they are toxic if eaten???
> >
> > Please don't judge me, educate me!
> >
> > Thank you! :-)
> >
> > Kat
> >

> No, they aren't toxic but they are sharp and pointy!

Flavorful but not edible? ;-)
Like the whole fresh herbs I top garlic pork roasts I imagine. <G>

> They impart a wonderful (don't know how to describe) taste to pot roasts,
> soups and stews and even get tender when cooked but are still kinda sharp
> and pointy. They are not something you want to get stuck between your
> teeth. Once their job is done it's done; this is why you remove them.
>
> Do not be afraid. I always put extra bay leaf in with corned beef along
> with the peppercorn packet. It's nice with cabbage, and other veggies, too.
>
> Jill

Cabbage eh? I'll have to give that a shot.
I'm always looking for a way to make cabbage more interesting
(especially Savoy cabbage) as dad has been wanting more of that lately.
I gave the last head he bought to Lin'. <G>

I DO prefer chinese cabbage or bok choy!
--
K.
jmcquown

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Katra wrote:
>>> Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my
>>> mom almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from
>>> her....
>>>
>>> so what is up with Bay Leaves?
>>> Why do I want to use them?
>>> What flavor do they impart?
>>>
>>> I understand you use them whole because you need to remove
>>> them when you are done as they are toxic if eaten???
>>>
>>> Please don't judge me, educate me!
>>>
>>> Thank you! :-)
>>>
>>> Kat
>>>

>> No, they aren't toxic but they are sharp and pointy!

> Flavorful but not edible? ;-)
> Like the whole fresh herbs I top garlic pork roasts I imagine. <G>

I've never bit into a bay leaf that I liked. They impart a nice taste but
even when cooked they are... well, like I said... sharp and pointy.

>> Do not be afraid. I always put extra bay leaf in with corned beef
>> along with the peppercorn packet. It's nice with cabbage, and other
>> veggies, too.
>>
>> Jill

> Cabbage eh? I'll have to give that a shot.

Yes, they are good in cabbage. And if you make bean soup you absolutely
must add bay leaf (but again, fish it out when it has done its job.)

> I'm always looking for a way to make cabbage more interesting
> (especially Savoy cabbage) as dad has been wanting more of that
> lately.
> I gave the last head he bought to Lin'. <G>
>
> I DO prefer chinese cabbage or bok choy!

Go for it. Bay is more of a German thing but what the heck

Jill

Bronwyn

jmcquown wrote:
> Katra wrote:
> > In article >,

from

Here' a yummy trick with fresh or dried bayleaves and potatoes:

Roast potatoes to go with a pork roast: wash some evenly sized red
potatoes, one per person.
Leaving the skin on, partially cut through the middle of each one, and
using the tip of the knife, wedge open the cut slit and slide a whole
bayleaf in.
Place potatoes around the roast or in a separate dish, slurp a little
olive oil over, add sea salt, and roast until tender. Delicious!!

Cheers
Bronnie
Oz

> >> No, they aren't toxic but they are sharp and pointy!

> > Flavorful but not edible? ;-)
> > Like the whole fresh herbs I top garlic pork roasts I imagine. <G>
> >

> I've never bit into a bay leaf that I liked. They impart a nice

taste but
> even when cooked they are... well, like I said... sharp and pointy.
>
> >> Do not be afraid. I always put extra bay leaf in with corned beef
> >> along with the peppercorn packet. It's nice with cabbage, and

other
> >> veggies, too.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Cabbage eh? I'll have to give that a shot.

> Yes, they are good in cabbage. And if you make bean soup you

absolutely
> must add bay leaf (but again, fish it out when it has done its job.)
>
> > I'm always looking for a way to make cabbage more interesting
> > (especially Savoy cabbage) as dad has been wanting more of that
> > lately.
> > I gave the last head he bought to Lin'. <G>
> >
> > I DO prefer chinese cabbage or bok choy!

> Go for it. Bay is more of a German thing but what the heck
>
> Jill

I do this with roast beef as well but use either Kerrs Pinks or
Roosters potatoes, Roosters are especially good as they are a little
more moist than the Kerrrs Pinks also pop in some parsnips in chunks
and you will find that they absorb the flavours as well
Enjoy
Doreen

Katra wrote:
> Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my mom

> almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from

her....

> so what is up with Bay Leaves?
> Why do I want to use them?
> What flavor do they impart?
>
> I understand you use them whole because you need to remove
> them when you are done as they are toxic if eaten??? <snip>

1. There are two kinds of (dried) bay leaves sold, one from California
and the other imported (Turkey, I think). Do not use Calif bay leaves,
as the flavor is disappointing. Be sure to check the spice bottle for
origin of the leaves; if the label doesn't tell you the origin, the bay
leaves are most likely from Calif.

2. The bay leaf is not toxic. It is a dried, pointy stiff leaf that
doesn't soften up all that much even after stewing away in something
for several hours. No one wants a mouthful of stiff leaf so cooks
remove it when the dish is done.

3. I don't think I can describe the flavor. To me the flavor seems
earthy, but then I don't know how to describe earthy. :-) Slight
pungency.

4. Bay leaf is added to a lot of foods:

tomato juice, tomato soup, tomato sauce
chowders, marinades, stews, bean and pea soups
pot roasts, corned beef

Mac

Mad Dan

Bronwyn wrote:
> Here' a yummy trick with fresh or dried bayleaves and potatoes:
>
> Roast potatoes to go with a pork roast: wash some evenly sized red
> potatoes, one per person.
> Leaving the skin on, partially cut through the middle of each one,

and
> using the tip of the knife, wedge open the cut slit and slide a whole
> bayleaf in.
> Place potatoes around the roast or in a separate dish, slurp a little
> olive oil over, add sea salt, and roast until tender. Delicious!!
>
> Cheers
> Bronnie
> Oz

Do you think this would work/be worth it if you were just baking the
potatoes, even? It sounds great.

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Katra > wrote in
:

> Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my
> mom almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from
> her....
>
> so what is up with Bay Leaves?
> Why do I want to use them?
> What flavor do they impart?
>
> I understand you use them whole because you need to remove
> them when you are done as they are toxic if eaten???
>
> Please don't judge me, educate me!
>
> Thank you! :-)
>
> Kat

If you examine a bay leaf, you will notice the searated edges of the
leave. A while back (I have no clue as to how long ago) it was determined
that these searations would allow the leaf to lodge readily in a person's
throat. So if using a bay leaf or 3 either crush them up very fine or
remove them from the finished food.

If it really concerns you tie threads to them and tie the threads to a
pot handle.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Continuing to be Manitoban
Kenneth

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 02:16:38 -0600, Katra
> wrote:

>> They are the leaves from the Bay tree.

><grins> THAT I knew!

Well, it is false. They are the leaves of the Laurel...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Rick & Cyndi

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 02:16:38 -0600, Katra
> > wrote:
>
>>> They are the leaves from the Bay tree.

>><grins> THAT I knew!

> Well, it is false. They are the leaves of the Laurel...
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Kenneth

===============

No; not necessarily... it's a Bay Laurel tree! <shrug> That's what we
always called it...but I could be wrong.

I would define the flavor as a spicy-woodsy undertone. It doesn't impart a
lot of flavor to your dishes - but you 'know' when it's missing.

The problem is not with being toxic but that the leaves maintain their
ridgidity and can cause a choking hazard and many years ago, it was simply
considered to be rude to have left things 'inside' your guests foods that
had to be removed. Inedible garnishes are different.

Does this help?

Cyndi

Rick & Cyndi

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet"* > Katra > wrote in
> :
>
>> Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my
>> mom almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from
>> her....
>>
>> so what is up with Bay Leaves?

<snip>

> If it really concerns you tie threads to them and tie the threads to a
> pot handle.
>
> ---------

That's an interesting technique!

I used to keep cheesecloth on hand for cooking things that I wanted to
remove after cooking but have since switched over to muslin material. A few
years ago I purchased a yard or so of muslin and cut it to make lots of
little muslin bags (think 'sachet'). I simply pour things into them, tie
them, and drop them in. I've experimented with different tie thingies...
once I sewed strings onto the bags so they'd be 100 % ready but usually I
just make the bags and keep them in a drawer with some string already cut to
size.

Cyndi Stringbag

Dave Smith

Katra wrote:

> Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my mom
> almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from her....
>
> so what is up with Bay Leaves?
> Why do I want to use them?
> What flavor do they impart?
>
> I understand you use them whole because you need to remove
> them when you are done as they are toxic if eaten???

I like Bay Leaf in small doses, but a lot of people seem to hate it.

The reason that you remove them is that the stem does not soften when cooking and could cause a person some damage if eaten.

Peter Aitken

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 02:16:38 -0600, Katra
> > wrote:
>
>>> They are the leaves from the Bay tree.

>><grins> THAT I knew!

> Well, it is false. They are the leaves of the Laurel...
>
> All the best,
>
> --

Sigh. It is the leaf of the bay laurel.

--
Peter Aitken

The Joneses

Katra wrote:

> Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my mom
> almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from her....
> so what is up with Bay Leaves?
> Why do I want to use them?
> What flavor do they impart?
> I understand you use them whole because you need to remove
> them when you are done as they are toxic if eaten???
> Please don't judge me, educate me!
> Thank you! :-)
> Kat

Kat - send me your snail mail and I'll send some Bay leaves, freshly dried or fresh if you like. The fresher (dried) the better. I gotta huge tree
that needs trimming. Laurus Nobilis is the only edible bay of that family, but I believe there are a few sub-species according to location. Like
grapes, the tastes changes somewhat depending on weather and soil. I do have a fairly extensive collection of info I gathered off the net, but
foolishly avoided collecting the authors, may they be eternally blessed and never know hunger. Oh well, it was intended for my personal use only,
but if you want to see it let me know. BTW, Mountain Laurel, Cherry Laurel and some other ornamentals in that family are poisonous. No wild
collecting without a knowledgeable cook or herbalist along please.
I would describe bay as spicy herby with a side of Christmas candles.
Edrena

The Joneses

The Joneses wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my mom
> > almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from her....
> > so what is up with Bay Leaves?
> > Why do I want to use them?
> > What flavor do they impart?
> > I understand you use them whole because you need to remove
> > them when you are done as they are toxic if eaten???
> > Please don't judge me, educate me!
> > Thank you! :-)
> > Kat

> Kat - send me your snail mail and I'll send some Bay leaves, freshly dried or fresh if you like. The fresher (dried) the better. I gotta huge tree
> that needs trimming. Laurus Nobilis is the only edible bay of that family, but I believe there are a few sub-species according to location. Like
> grapes, the tastes changes somewhat depending on weather and soil. I do have a fairly extensive collection of info I gathered off the net, but
> foolishly avoided collecting the authors, may they be eternally blessed and never know hunger. Oh well, it was intended for my personal use only,
> but if you want to see it let me know. BTW, Mountain Laurel, Cherry Laurel and some other ornamentals in that family are poisonous. No wild
> collecting without a knowledgeable cook or herbalist along please.
> I would describe bay as spicy herby with a side of Christmas candles.
> Edrena

Sorry for the spread. It is time to get a new
browser or something. I have this *$@#&6%
set at 72 characters.
Edrena

Katra

In article . com>,
"Bronwyn" > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> > Katra wrote:

> from

> Here' a yummy trick with fresh or dried bayleaves and potatoes:
>
> Roast potatoes to go with a pork roast: wash some evenly sized red
> potatoes, one per person.
> Leaving the skin on, partially cut through the middle of each one, and
> using the tip of the knife, wedge open the cut slit and slide a whole
> bayleaf in.
> Place potatoes around the roast or in a separate dish, slurp a little
> olive oil over, add sea salt, and roast until tender. Delicious!!
>
> Cheers
> Bronnie
> Oz

> > > Flavorful but not edible? ;-)
> > > Like the whole fresh herbs I top garlic pork roasts I imagine. <G>
> > >

> > I've never bit into a bay leaf that I liked. They impart a nice

> taste but
> > even when cooked they are... well, like I said... sharp and pointy.

> other

> > > Cabbage eh? I'll have to give that a shot.

> > Yes, they are good in cabbage. And if you make bean soup you

> absolutely
> > must add bay leaf (but again, fish it out when it has done its job.)
> >
> > > I'm always looking for a way to make cabbage more interesting
> > > (especially Savoy cabbage) as dad has been wanting more of that
> > > lately.
> > > I gave the last head he bought to Lin'. <G>
> > >
> > > I DO prefer chinese cabbage or bok choy!

> > Go for it. Bay is more of a German thing but what the heck
> >
> > Jill

Mmmmmmm. :-)
Sounds like this'd work with a combo of herbals!
--
K.
Katra

In article >,
The Joneses > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my mom
> > almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly from her....
> > so what is up with Bay Leaves?
> > Why do I want to use them?
> > What flavor do they impart?
> > I understand you use them whole because you need to remove
> > them when you are done as they are toxic if eaten???
> > Please don't judge me, educate me!
> > Thank you! :-)
> > Kat

> Kat - send me your snail mail and I'll send some Bay leaves, freshly dried or
> fresh if you like. The fresher (dried) the better. I gotta huge tree
> that needs trimming. Laurus Nobilis is the only edible bay of that family,
> but I believe there are a few sub-species according to location. Like
> grapes, the tastes changes somewhat depending on weather and soil. I do have
> a fairly extensive collection of info I gathered off the net, but
> foolishly avoided collecting the authors, may they be eternally blessed and
> never know hunger. Oh well, it was intended for my personal use only,
> but if you want to see it let me know. BTW, Mountain Laurel, Cherry Laurel
> and some other ornamentals in that family are poisonous. No wild
> collecting without a knowledgeable cook or herbalist along please.
> I would describe bay as spicy herby with a side of Christmas candles.
> Edrena

I think I got the offer via private e-mail as well, thanks so much! :-)
I'll be most happy to return the favor as I have plenty of fresh herbs
here, mostly overgrown are rosemary, mexican oregano and dittany of
crete. I'd be delighted to send you fresh herbs in return!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

Thanks to all for their input! ;-)
It's been very appreciated and very educational.

Will report my findings when I finally give them a try.
Might use them in a pot roast to start, or maybe a chicken stew.

Gotta see what I have in the freezer that needs using. <lol>

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article et>,
"Gregory Morrow"
<gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > In article .com>,
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I always use Bay leaves as dry bay leaves. Like all spices, it imparts
> > > flavor into the food and we take it out when we eat the food. To
> > > describe the flavor, it is a bit sharp and strong.
> > >
> > > However, sometimes, when we make mixed spices, we do crush bay leaves
> > > and that becomes a part of the meal.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps!
> > >

> > So how would YOU use powdered/crushed bay as opposed to whole bay?
> > As a sprinkling spice on cooked meat/veggies?
> >
> > I've seen most bay recommendations as whole bay leaves used in soups,
> > stews, marinades and potroasts.
> >
> > Thank you! ;-)
> >
> > I don't currently have any on hand.
> > Guess I need to pick up a few and taste them to see if I feel they are
> > compatible to whatever recipe.

> You live in Texas, right? Maybe you should try growing them? A friend who
> just came back from New Orleans brought me back a big branch of bay leaves
> that he got from a friend's garden. Very aromatic! Much better than any
> I've bought in a store...

Hmmmm... space on one end of my herb garden I suppose! <lol>
Or space in the greenhouse for a large pot. I'll have to look for a
small one already started.

I'm sure I can "bonsai" it and keep it as a bush instead of a tree with
proper pruning. I have no space for anymore trees at the moment.

> Apparently in some climes they are also used to keep bugs "away"...dunno if
> this is an old wives' tale or what...

Well, I HAVE read somewhere that keeping a bay leaf in the top of dry
goods jars, (beans, peas, rice etc.) can keep out weevils??? But, does
it flavor the goods?

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Thomas

I'm in Texas and can tell you that bay trees can grow very large. Before we
moved last year we had a bay tree in a pot that was 10 feet tall. I always
use a couple of bay leaves when cooking potatoes to make mashed potatoes.
Fantastic! I also use them (3 or 4) when making a pot roast. They are
mandatory in a pot of beans at our house. I love the flavor of bay. I would
suggest removing them. I would not powder or grind them. I believe they
can be toxic. I could also send you some fresh off the tree if you would
like. We have far more than we could use.
Thomas
"Katra" > wrote in message

> Thanks to all for their input! ;-)
> It's been very appreciated and very educational.
>
> Will report my findings when I finally give them a try.
> Might use them in a pot roast to start, or maybe a chicken stew.
>
> Gotta see what I have in the freezer that needs using. <lol>
>
> Kat
>
> --
> K.
>
> Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
>
> There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train
> the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada
>
>>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

> http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...user id=katra

Sheldon

Rick & Cyndi wrote:
> "Monsur Fromage du Pollet"* > Katra > wrote in
> > :
> >
> >> Ok, I know this is really going to make me sound ignorant, but my
> >> mom almost never used bay leaves and I did learn to cook mostly

from
> >> her....
> >>
> >> so what is up with Bay Leaves?

> <snip>
>

> > If it really concerns you tie threads to them and tie the threads

to a
> > pot handle.
> >
> > ---------

> That's an interesting technique!
>
> I used to keep cheesecloth on hand for cooking things that I wanted

> remove after cooking but have since switched over to muslin material.

A few
> years ago I purchased a yard or so of muslin and cut it to make lots

of
> little muslin bags (think 'sachet'). I simply pour things into them,

tie
> them, and drop them in. I've experimented with different tie

thingies...
> once I sewed strings onto the bags so they'd be 100 % ready but

usually I
> just make the bags and keep them in a drawer with some string already

cut to
> size.
>
> Cyndi Stringbag

You have way, WAY too much free time, Cyndi Stewart... sheesh, didja do
your own breast implants yourself too. To easily retrieve bay leaves
and other whole spices/herbs place them in a metal teaball, in fact
there are large ones available specifically for spices.

Sheldon

Katra

In article >,
"Thomas" <scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm in Texas and can tell you that bay trees can grow very large. Before we
> moved last year we had a bay tree in a pot that was 10 feet tall. I always
> use a couple of bay leaves when cooking potatoes to make mashed potatoes.
> Fantastic! I also use them (3 or 4) when making a pot roast. They are
> mandatory in a pot of beans at our house. I love the flavor of bay. I would
> suggest removing them. I would not powder or grind them. I believe they
> can be toxic. I could also send you some fresh off the tree if you would
> like. We have far more than we could use.
> Thomas

<smiles> Thank you!
I think that is offer #3 now. <G>
I appreciate it!

If I decide to start my own Bay Laurel tree, I'd keep it "Bonsai" pruned
to force it into a bush. That can be done with nearly any tree if you
are careful.
--
K.
Katra

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Rick & Cyndi wrote:
> > "Monsur Fromage du Pollet"* > Katra > wrote in
> > > :

> from

> > <snip>
> >

> > > If it really concerns you tie threads to them and tie the threads

> to a
> > > pot handle.
> > >
> > > ---------

> > That's an interesting technique!
> >
> > I used to keep cheesecloth on hand for cooking things that I wanted

> > remove after cooking but have since switched over to muslin material.

> A few
> > years ago I purchased a yard or so of muslin and cut it to make lots

> of
> > little muslin bags (think 'sachet'). I simply pour things into them,

> tie
> > them, and drop them in. I've experimented with different tie

> thingies...
> > once I sewed strings onto the bags so they'd be 100 % ready but

> usually I
> > just make the bags and keep them in a drawer with some string already

> cut to
> > size.
> >
> > Cyndi Stringbag

> You have way, WAY too much free time, Cyndi Stewart... sheesh, didja do
> your own breast implants yourself too. To easily retrieve bay leaves
> and other whole spices/herbs place them in a metal teaball, in fact
> there are large ones available specifically for spices.
>
> Sheldon

Hey now THAT is a neat idea I'd not thought of. Cool!!! :-)
Since I have a live herb garden, that idea will come in handy.
Especially for rosemary!

Thank you!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Ophelia

"Katra" > wrote in message news:KatraMungBean->
> Hey now THAT is a neat idea I'd not thought of. Cool!!! :-)
> Since I have a live herb garden, that idea will come in handy.
> Especially for rosemary!

I love rosemary and I chop it very finely and of course it stays in. My DH
likes the taste in food but if I leave them whole he will complain about the
'bushes' and pick them out

Ophelia
Scotland

llanite

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 01:33:37 -0600, Katra
> wrote:

[snip]

>so what is up with Bay Leaves?

They grow on a smallish tree, easy to cultivate in much of the U.S.
There seem to be two main varieties, the so-called California Bay
Laurel and the Turkish Bay. Both are good. The Turkish seems to me to
be milder, but of more complexity of flavor. The CA version is more
akin to eucalyptus, IMHO. My tree is the CA version. Grows about 20
feet tall, so topping out keeps it more bushy and makes the fresh
leaves easier to reach. Don't know anyone who grows the Turk version.
I live in ag region 9a-9b. Subject to freeze damage, tho.

>Why do I want to use them?

Flavor. Sauces and soups take on a deeper complexity that is most
satisfying. Chicken w/40 bay leaves (finished in cream sauce) is quite
a conversation piece. Penzey's has a recipe for a rice dish with white
and wild rice with Turkish bay leaves. Outstanding. (If you're a good
girl, maybe someone will send you a Penzey's gift pack; they use
cinnamon, nutmegs and bay leaves as their packing material(!))

>What flavor do they impart?

Hard to describe, except for the aforementioned eucalyptol-like
bouquet from the CA type. Make a pot of chicken or beef-veggie soup,
or maybe Scotch broth. Midway through cooking, split it into two
portions and add bay to one but not the other. Taste test.

Good luck.

A-

Rick & Cyndi

"Sheldon" <Cyndi wrote:

> A few years ago I purchased a yard or so of muslin and cut it to make

lots
> of little muslin bags (think 'sachet'). I simply pour things into them,
> tie them, and drop them in. I've experimented with different tie
> thingies... once I sewed strings onto the bags so they'd be 100 % ready
> but
> usually I just make the bags and keep them in a drawer with some string
> already
> cut to size.
>>
>> Cyndi

> You have way, WAY too much free time, Cyndi Stewart... sheesh, didja do
> your own breast implants yourself too. To easily retrieve bay leaves
> and other whole spices/herbs place them in a metal teaball, in fact
> there are large ones available specifically for spices.
>
> Sheldon
>=================

At the time I was a SAHM... and yes, I did have more free time back then.

No... no implants necessary but am considering doing my own reduction if
my insurance won't cover it!

At the time, I didn't have very much $$ and was also looking for other
things
to make for Christmas gifts for my family. $2.00 worth of fabric made about
40 muslin bags *plus* I still some of the fabric left and probably could
make
another 20 of them!

Cyndi CreativeOnADime

Rick & Cyndi

"Katra" <&Cyndi wrote

>> > I used to keep cheesecloth on hand for cooking things that I wanted

>> > remove after cooking but have since switched over to muslin material.

>> A few
>> > years ago I purchased a yard or so of muslin and cut it to make lots

>> of
>> > little muslin bags (think 'sachet'). I simply pour things into them,

>> tie
>> > them, and drop them in. I've experimented with different tie

>> thingies...
>> > once I sewed strings onto the bags so they'd be 100 % ready but

>> usually I
>> > just make the bags and keep them in a drawer with some string already

>> cut to
>> > size.
>> >
>> > Cyndi

<Snipping Sheldon's compliments>

> Hey now THAT is a neat idea I'd not thought of. Cool!!! :-)
> Since I have a live herb garden, that idea will come in handy.
> Especially for rosemary!
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
> K.

================
<blush> Thank you. They work really well. Depending upon what dish you
use them in - they can be washed and reused.

Cyndi

Sheldon

>To easily retrieve bay leaves
> and other whole spices/herbs place them in a metal teaball, in fact
> there are large ones available specifically for spices.
> Sheldon

Hey now THAT is a neat idea I'd not thought of. Cool!!! :-)
Since I have a live herb garden, that idea will come in handy.
Especially for rosemary!
Katra

Metal tea balls come in many configurations and sizes. The perforated
metal ones are okay but I prefer the ones made of wire mesh. Make sure
to get those made of stainless steel, not aluminum. And those with a
latch catch hold up better than the screw closure. And for clean up
they go in the dishwasher. I have quite an assortment, for spice I
have a couple of big balls in my drawers.

Sheldon

Katra

In article > ,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Katra" > wrote in message news:KatraMungBean->
> > Hey now THAT is a neat idea I'd not thought of. Cool!!! :-)
> > Since I have a live herb garden, that idea will come in handy.
> > Especially for rosemary!

> I love rosemary and I chop it very finely and of course it stays in. My DH
> likes the taste in food but if I leave them whole he will complain about the
> 'bushes' and pick them out
>
> Ophelia
> Scotland

Heh! I mince rosemary also!
It's excellent on poultry...

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> >To easily retrieve bay leaves
> > and other whole spices/herbs place them in a metal teaball, in fact
> > there are large ones available specifically for spices.
> > Sheldon

> Hey now THAT is a neat idea I'd not thought of. Cool!!! :-)
> Since I have a live herb garden, that idea will come in handy.
> Especially for rosemary!
> Katra
>
> Metal tea balls come in many configurations and sizes. The perforated
> metal ones are okay but I prefer the ones made of wire mesh. Make sure
> to get those made of stainless steel, not aluminum. And those with a
> latch catch hold up better than the screw closure. And for clean up
> they go in the dishwasher. I have quite an assortment, for spice I
> have a couple of big balls in my drawers.
>
> Sheldon

Master punster as always... <lol>

Steel balls made by Ben Wa work best I would think?
--
K.

Bay leaves Gary General Cooking 48 07-08-2012 09:53 AM
Bay leaves Walker General Cooking 18 24-02-2009 08:57 PM
The Re-Use of Leaves Ferris92 Tea 11 21-06-2007 08:08 PM
Leaves cha bing Tea 19 14-03-2007 04:54 PM
Tea Leaves Andy Petro Preserving 1 15-09-2006 09:14 AM