Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default dinner this week

Here's a recipe I tried for the first time.
I bought half a ham. This is the first time I've
bought a ham in maybe 20 years. Ham is so expensive
and I only like the really expensive, *good* ham.
They were on sale for $1.99/lb. at my local "gourmet"
food market so I decide to splurge. Then I was trying
to figure out what to do with the damn thing. So I
searched through all my recipes for those using ham.
I decided to try this one. It's pretty good, but I
didn't follow the recipe exactly. I'll tell you the
changes I made below. It's almost a whole different
recipe. ;-)

SUSIE ALPER’S MONTANA POTATO PIE

4 cups diced ham
1 1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/4 cup chopped green peppers
1/4 cup chopped red peppers
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 cup cottage cheese
8 eggs
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
paprika

Mix all but the last ingredient together in a large bowl. Bake in two
10" pie tins for 1 hour at 350F. Cut in wedges to serve. Serve with
sour cream and chopped fresh chives. Serves 10. (Recipe from Bad Rock
Country Bed & Breakfast, Columbia Falls, Montana. This recipe is one
of the top ten finalists in the 1996 National Recipe Contest for Jones
Dairy Farm/Sausage and Meat Company.)

Okay, here's what I did. First of all, I thought 4 c. of ham was
an awful lot and decided to use only 3 cups. I also used 2 red
peppers instead of 1 green/1 red. Now the recipe calls for 1 1/2
cups of shredded hash browns. I thought "that's insane" if it's a
*potato* pie and it has 4 cups of ham. Plus I wanted to stretch it
out so I would have more and it would last longer. So I used a whole
bag of Ore-Ida frozen shredded hash browns. (Now the bag claims there
are ~12 cups in the bag but I don't know how they measured them - packed
or very loose. I think it's more like 8 cups packed. Whatever.)
I also used more like 1 1/2 c. cheddar and at least 1 1/4 c. each of
the cottage and sour cream - I didn't measure, just scooped it out of
the large containers. And instead of making 2 "pies" I decided to just
put the whole thing in a 9"x13" casserole. If I make it again I think
I'll use at least 2 c. cheddar, maybe 3. It needed more cheddar flavor.
Anyway, it's very tasty as is. There's plenty of ham, I think, but
since I used the whole bag of potatoes I might consider upping the ham
to 4 cups next time.

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> Here's a recipe I tried for the first time.
> I bought half a ham. This is the first time I've
> bought a ham in maybe 20 years. Ham is so expensive
> and I only like the really expensive, *good* ham.
> They were on sale for $1.99/lb. at my local "gourmet"
> food market so I decide to splurge. Then I was trying
> to figure out what to do with the damn thing. So I
> searched through all my recipes for those using ham.
> I decided to try this one. It's pretty good, but I
> didn't follow the recipe exactly. I'll tell you the
> changes I made below. It's almost a whole different
> recipe. ;-)
>
> SUSIE ALPER’S MONTANA POTATO PIE
>
> 4 cups diced ham
> 1 1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
> 1/4 cup chopped green peppers
> 1/4 cup chopped red peppers
> 1/2 cup chopped onion
> 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
> 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
> 1 cup sour cream
> 1 cup cottage cheese
> 8 eggs
> 1 teaspoon white pepper
> 1 teaspoon thyme
> paprika
>
> Mix all but the last ingredient together in a large bowl. Bake in two
> 10" pie tins for 1 hour at 350F. Cut in wedges to serve. Serve with
> sour cream and chopped fresh chives. Serves 10. (Recipe from Bad Rock
> Country Bed & Breakfast, Columbia Falls, Montana. This recipe is one
> of the top ten finalists in the 1996 National Recipe Contest for Jones
> Dairy Farm/Sausage and Meat Company.)
>
> Okay, here's what I did. First of all, I thought 4 c. of ham was
> an awful lot and decided to use only 3 cups. I also used 2 red
> peppers instead of 1 green/1 red. Now the recipe calls for 1 1/2
> cups of shredded hash browns. I thought "that's insane" if it's a
> *potato* pie and it has 4 cups of ham. Plus I wanted to stretch it
> out so I would have more and it would last longer. So I used a whole
> bag of Ore-Ida frozen shredded hash browns. (Now the bag claims there
> are ~12 cups in the bag but I don't know how they measured them - packed
> or very loose. I think it's more like 8 cups packed. Whatever.)
> I also used more like 1 1/2 c. cheddar and at least 1 1/4 c. each of
> the cottage and sour cream - I didn't measure, just scooped it out of
> the large containers. And instead of making 2 "pies" I decided to just
> put the whole thing in a 9"x13" casserole. If I make it again I think
> I'll use at least 2 c. cheddar, maybe 3. It needed more cheddar flavor.
> Anyway, it's very tasty as is. There's plenty of ham, I think, but
> since I used the whole bag of potatoes I might consider upping the ham
> to 4 cups next time.
>
> Kate

Noooooooooo! I am shielding my eyes because I am not eating overt
carbs. Now I am wondering... could one kind ever get broccoli
slaw to be semi-hashbrown-like? It would go well with the ham and
cheese, anyway.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
> > Here's a recipe I tried for the first time.
> > I bought half a ham.

> > SUSIE ALPER¹S MONTANA POTATO PIE
> >
> > 4 cups diced ham
> > 1 1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
> > 1/4 cup chopped green peppers
> > 1/4 cup chopped red peppers
> > 1/2 cup chopped onion
> > 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
> > 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
> > 1 cup sour cream
> > 1 cup cottage cheese
> > 8 eggs
> > 1 teaspoon white pepper
> > 1 teaspoon thyme
> > paprika

> Noooooooooo! I am shielding my eyes because I am not eating overt
> carbs. Now I am wondering... could one kind ever get broccoli
> slaw to be semi-hashbrown-like? It would go well with the ham and
> cheese, anyway.

I think it would be worth a try with broccoli, whether slaw or just
chopped. It would need a change of name, though. Still, the original
recipe is 1 1/2 cups of potatoes vs 8 1/2 cups plus 8 eggs of other
stuff. By the time you eat enough to feel like you've swallowed a
cannon ball, I don't think you would have eaten that much potato!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Kate Connally wrote:
>>> Here's a recipe I tried for the first time.
>>> I bought half a ham.

>>> SUSIE ALPER¹S MONTANA POTATO PIE
>>>
>>> 4 cups diced ham
>>> 1 1/2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
>>> 1/4 cup chopped green peppers
>>> 1/4 cup chopped red peppers
>>> 1/2 cup chopped onion
>>> 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
>>> 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
>>> 1 cup sour cream
>>> 1 cup cottage cheese
>>> 8 eggs
>>> 1 teaspoon white pepper
>>> 1 teaspoon thyme
>>> paprika

>> Noooooooooo! I am shielding my eyes because I am not eating overt
>> carbs. Now I am wondering... could one kind ever get broccoli
>> slaw to be semi-hashbrown-like? It would go well with the ham and
>> cheese, anyway.

> I think it would be worth a try with broccoli, whether slaw or just
> chopped. It would need a change of name, though. Still, the original
> recipe is 1 1/2 cups of potatoes vs 8 1/2 cups plus 8 eggs of other
> stuff. By the time you eat enough to feel like you've swallowed a
> cannon ball, I don't think you would have eaten that much potato!

I'll ponder this. I think the idea, in general, may have some merit.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:52:18 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Here's a recipe I tried for the first time.

You didn't try a recipe. You made something that sounds horrible even
worse.

>I bought half a ham.

You should have bought sandwich fixings and bread and stopped there.

>This is the first time I've bought a ham in maybe 20 years.

Wow! You're really living on the edge.

> Ham is so expensive

No it's not.

>and I only like the really expensive, *good* ham.

Wouldn't it be better to get a computer at home before you splurge for
"good ham" so you don't have to post from work rather than working?
Are taxpayer dollars paying for your time to post?

>They were on sale for $1.99/lb. at my local "gourmet"
>food market so I decide to splurge.

Your gourmet food market must cater to retards like you. Cooks brand
is never over 2 bucks a pound and I saw it last week for $.99.

>Then I was trying to figure out what to do with the damn thing.

Living on the budget you've claimed to have I can't imagine this
silliness.

>So I searched through all my recipes for those using ham.

That was probably better than searching for tofu. Are your recipes
all labeled MCINL?

>I decided to try this one.

You didn't try it. You made a new one up.

>It's pretty good, but I didn't follow the recipe exactly.

No kidding?

>I'll tell you the changes I made below.

I can hardly wait.

>It's almost a whole different recipe. ;-)

Almost? Maybe you can submit is as your signature dish.

>SUSIE ALPER’S MONTANA POTATO PIE

<snip recipe that didn't need cottage cheese, the directions, and the
changes that made it into something that makes tater tot hot dish seem
awesome>

By your own admission you're too lazy to cook everyday and will eat
the same thing for two weeks. Do you ever get sick eating your food
after a few days? I'm getting sick just thinking about you laying in
bed shoveling week old pig slop in your face.

I can see why you live alone and eat in bed.

Lou