Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default brussels sprouts

The last few weeks I've made some food that just wasn't quite right.
Today, I did good.

Little brussels sprouts were on sale. Blanched a bunch of them, then
what?

Fried up a little bit of bacon, some onion, and threw in some white
mushrooms for a little while. Garlic powder, a little cider vinegar
left over from the slaw. Janet was going for a walk - had her pick up
some balsamic. Thought I remembered some walnuts in the freezer.
Turned out to be cashews. Excellent.

She is still planning to do the smelt, but most of the brussels
sprouts aren't going to make it to the table - we've been nibbling.

I'm going to have remember to do this again on purpose ('tho "on
purpose" is never as much fun). Next time, I'm thinking to add some
fried chicken livers, instead of or with the bacon.

bulka
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 8:06*pm, bulka > wrote:
> The last few weeks I've made some food that just wasn't quite right.
> Today, I did good.
>
> Little brussels sprouts were on sale. *Blanched a bunch of them, then
> what?
>
> Fried up a little bit of bacon, some onion, and threw in some white
> mushrooms for a little while. *Garlic powder, a little cider vinegar
> left over from the slaw. *Janet was going for a walk - had her pick up
> some balsamic. *Thought I remembered some walnuts in the freezer.
> Turned out to be cashews. *Excellent.
>
> She is still planning to do the smelt, but most of the brussels
> sprouts aren't going to make it to the table - we've been nibbling.
>
> I'm going to have remember to do this again on purpose ('tho "on
> purpose" is never as much fun). *Next time, I'm thinking to add some
> fried chicken livers, instead of or with the bacon.
>
> bulka

Wow, sounds delicious. Next time try caramelized pecans tossed in,
with the bacon and onion and fresh minced garlic, leave out the
mushrooms...divine!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:06:04 -0800 (PST), bulka wrote:

> The last few weeks I've made some food that just wasn't quite right.
> Today, I did good.
>
> Little brussels sprouts were on sale. Blanched a bunch of them, then
> what?
>
> Fried up a little bit of bacon, some onion, and threw in some white
> mushrooms for a little while. Garlic powder, a little cider vinegar
> left over from the slaw. Janet was going for a walk - had her pick up
> some balsamic. Thought I remembered some walnuts in the freezer.
> Turned out to be cashews. Excellent.
>
> She is still planning to do the smelt, but most of the brussels
> sprouts aren't going to make it to the table - we've been nibbling.
>
> I'm going to have remember to do this again on purpose ('tho "on
> purpose" is never as much fun). Next time, I'm thinking to add some
> fried chicken livers, instead of or with the bacon.
>
> bulka

do you realize that the idea of fried chicken livers and brussels sprouts
is going to give some people frightful dreams?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 1:47 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:06:04 -0800 (PST), bulka wrote:
> > The last few weeks I've made some food that just wasn't quite right.
> > Today, I did good.

> > Little brussels sprouts were on sale. Blanched a bunch of them, then
> > what?

> > Fried up a little bit of bacon, some onion, and threw in some white
> > mushrooms for a little while. Garlic powder, a little cider vinegar
> > left over from the slaw. Janet was going for a walk - had her pick up
> > some balsamic. Thought I remembered some walnuts in the freezer.
> > Turned out to be cashews. Excellent.

> > She is still planning to do the smelt, but most of the brussels
> > sprouts aren't going to make it to the table - we've been nibbling.

> > I'm going to have remember to do this again on purpose ('tho "on
> > purpose" is never as much fun). Next time, I'm thinking to add some
> > fried chicken livers, instead of or with the bacon.

> > bulka

> do you realize that the idea of fried chicken livers and brussels sprouts
> is going to give some people frightful dreams?
>
> your pal,
> blake

I'm laughing. Yes. That's the miracle of food and culture. I have
served meals with the intention of boadening my guests' horizon, but
this time, just for me. It's gonna taste good. If I'm feeling fancy,
maybe breadcrumbs and a dash under the broiler.

It's mostly the suburban white folks and the generation raised on
McNuggets that have trouble embracing offal and bugs and odd
vegetables.

Brussels sprouts are interesting. Even those of us who eat them are
often surprised to find that anyone else does, yet they are in every
grocery.

A good motto might be - Dare to Eat that Thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
bulka > wrote:

> A good motto might be - Dare to Eat that Thing.

That's what I tell myself every time I visit the asian market! <lol>
I swear to try one new food every time I visit there...
--
Peace! Om

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." -- Gandalf the Gray

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 13:11:33 -0800 (PST), bulka wrote:

> On Feb 7, 1:47 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:06:04 -0800 (PST), bulka wrote:
>>> The last few weeks I've made some food that just wasn't quite right.
>>> Today, I did good.

>>> Little brussels sprouts were on sale. Blanched a bunch of them, then
>>> what?

>>> Fried up a little bit of bacon, some onion, and threw in some white
>>> mushrooms for a little while. Garlic powder, a little cider vinegar
>>> left over from the slaw. Janet was going for a walk - had her pick up
>>> some balsamic. Thought I remembered some walnuts in the freezer.
>>> Turned out to be cashews. Excellent.

>>> She is still planning to do the smelt, but most of the brussels
>>> sprouts aren't going to make it to the table - we've been nibbling.

>>> I'm going to have remember to do this again on purpose ('tho "on
>>> purpose" is never as much fun). Next time, I'm thinking to add some
>>> fried chicken livers, instead of or with the bacon.

>>> bulka

>> do you realize that the idea of fried chicken livers and brussels sprouts
>> is going to give some people frightful dreams?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> I'm laughing. Yes. That's the miracle of food and culture. I have
> served meals with the intention of boadening my guests' horizon, but
> this time, just for me. It's gonna taste good. If I'm feeling fancy,
> maybe breadcrumbs and a dash under the broiler.
>
> It's mostly the suburban white folks and the generation raised on
> McNuggets that have trouble embracing offal and bugs and odd
> vegetables.
>
> Brussels sprouts are interesting. Even those of us who eat them are
> often surprised to find that anyone else does, yet they are in every
> grocery.
>
> A good motto might be - Dare to Eat that Thing.

oh, i'm not knocking it - just that some here have expressed the opinion
that either brussels sprouts *or* chicken livers would be a fête worse than
death.

your pal,
blake

Brussels sprouts Nick Cramer Diabetic 3 07-01-2010 03:16 AM
Brussels Sprouts Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 13-07-2006 01:30 AM
Brussels Sprouts Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman General Cooking 23 08-03-2006 02:50 AM