Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Iceberg Lettuce

Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
Ready!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 7:28�pm, merryb > wrote:
> Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> Ready!

I like iceberg for its texture. The classic iceberg salad is a large
cut wedge with a few tomato wedges and international orange bottled
French dressing. It's also good finely shredded for it's crisp
texture. I don't think people eat any lettuce for nutrition other
than fiber.

I also wash and eat the outer leaves, they're good for sandwiches.
The inner portion doesn't really need washing as most all iceberg is
hydroponically grown.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
> Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> Ready!

I peel off the outside leaves. Check for bugs. Cut out the root. I do give
it a good wash and spin.
Put a paper towel in after the spin if needed. Chill and eat.
Foodies will tell ya to cut ONLY with a plastic knife-prevents browning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 7:52�pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> > Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> > you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> > off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> > never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> > shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> > say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> > Ready!

> I peel off the outside leaves. Check for bugs. Cut out the root. I do give
> it a good wash and spin.
> Put a paper towel in after the spin if needed. Chill and eat.
> Foodies will tell ya to cut ONLY with a plastic knife-prevents browning.

I don't decore unless I'm going to use the entire head. But still a
head of iceberg never lasts me more than 2-3 days.. I don't buy
lettuce to garnish my fridge, I buy it to eat. I could never
understand folks who buy perishable produce as an investment... then a
week passes and they see it's all ugli... their brains are ugli.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb > wrote in

s.com:

> Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was
> wondering how you prepare it for eating- I peel off the
> outside leaves, and then cut off a chunk (yeah, I know about
> the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I never realized that I
> never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't shake off well-
> it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What say you?
> Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post? Ready!

Pull apart & wash in very lightly soapy icy water.
Rinse with cold,cold water. Spin. Re-spin and re-spin in lettuce
spinner. Drain out the water in the spinner. Leave lettuce
(which isn't used) in the spinner container and it lasts for
a week or more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> Ready!

Put the iceberg lettuce in the middle of a teatowel. Pull the corners
together. Go outside and whirl the towel around (big arm circles).
Quickest and most efficient way to get the water out that I have ever
used.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> "merryb" > wrote in message
> > Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> > you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> > off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> > never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> > shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> > say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> > Ready!

> I peel off the outside leaves. Check for bugs. Cut out the root. I do give
> it a good wash and spin.
> Put a paper towel in after the spin if needed. Chill and eat.
> Foodies will tell ya to cut ONLY with a plastic knife-prevents browning.

I've never found that a plastic knife prevents browning. How does the
lettuce know what the knife is made of?

I try not to cut lettuce at all if I can avoid it. I tear it instead.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche wrote:

> Put the iceberg lettuce in the middle of a teatowel. Pull the corners
> together. Go outside and whirl the towel around (big arm circles).
> Quickest and most efficient way to get the water out that I have ever
> used.

About four years ago, I wrote this:

Once when I was on temporary assignment to Virginia I had to do without a
salad spinner, the corporate apartment *did* have lots of clean bed linens.
You can put wet salad greens into a pillowcase, take it outside, and swing
it around your head to dry the greens; I think it actually works BETTER than
a salad spinner. (Lots more centrifugal force.) Who cares what the
neighbors think when they see you whirling a greens-laden pillowcase around?
If you see them watching, you can act like you're doing some kind of martial
arts training: Stamp and kick your feet, swing the pillowcase in
figure-eights, and every now and then belt out a hearty "Hi-YAH!" You'll
soon see them treating you with new respect. :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 6:17*pm, Miche > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"Kswck" > wrote:
> > "merryb" > wrote in message
> > > Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> > > you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> > > off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> > > never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> > > shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> > > say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> > > Ready!

> > I peel off the outside leaves. Check for bugs. Cut out the root. I do give
> > it a good wash and spin.
> > Put a paper towel in after the spin if needed. Chill and eat.
> > Foodies will tell ya to cut ONLY with a plastic knife-prevents browning..

> I've never found that a plastic knife prevents browning. *How does the
> lettuce know what the knife is made of?
>
> I try not to cut lettuce at all if I can avoid it. *I tear it instead.
>
> Miche
>
> --
> Electricians do it in three phases

Agreed, but iceberg? It sounds tedious to peel off a leaf, tear it,
etc. I always wash other leafy stuff well, so that's my question.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 5:47*pm, sandi > wrote:
> merryb > wrote
> s.com:
>
> > Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was
> > wondering how you prepare it for eating- I peel off the
> > outside leaves, and then cut off a chunk (yeah, I know about
> > the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I never realized that I
> > never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't shake off well-
> > it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What say you?
> > Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post? Ready!

> Pull apart & wash in very lightly soapy icy water.
> Rinse with cold,cold water. *Spin. *Re-spin and re-spin in lettuce
> spinner. *Drain out the water in the spinner. Leave lettuce
> (which isn't used) in the spinner container and it lasts for
> a week or more. *

I would NEVER wash greens in any amount of soap- there's better things
to use if you are that worried...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> Ready!

I don't buy it often but when I do I wind up doing the same thing my
mother did...

Bang it down hard on the stem end to snap the core loose from the
leaves. Then either tear off the leaves or shred it with a knife to use
of tacos or whatever, rinse in a colander and spin it in a dish towel,
as Miche describes, .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
>,
merryb > wrote:
(snip)
> say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?

Nah.

> Ready!

Stand in front of your sink with the head of lettuce in hand. Give the
core a smart thwack on the inside wall of the sink -- the motion will
be towards you -- to knock loose the core. Remove the core, peel any
discolored or undesirable leaves from the outside then run cool water
into the head to rinse. Invert it, and let it drain for a couple hours
in the dish drainer or on a cloth towel then stick it in a plastic bag.

Works for me.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:

> Bang it down hard on the stem end to snap the core loose from the leaves.
> Then either tear off the leaves or shred it with a knife to use of tacos
> or whatever, rinse in a colander and spin it in a dish towel, as Miche
> describes, .

My buddy taught me to bang lettuce. Shut up! Then, after peeling the
outer leaves, to hold it under the cold tap removed-stem end up and fill
it. Then turn it over and drain it. Seems to keep very well this way,
with moisture to keep it fresh distributed not just on the outside.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 10:21*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,*merryb > wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?

> Nah.
>
> > Ready!

> Stand in front of your sink with the head of lettuce in hand. Give the
> core a smart thwack on the inside wall of the sink *-- the motion will
> be towards you -- to knock loose the core. *Remove the core, peel any
> discolored or undesirable leaves from the outside then run cool water
> into the head to rinse. *Invert it, and let it drain for a couple hours
> in the dish drainer or on a cloth towel then stick it in a plastic bag.
>
> Works for me.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> <http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
> December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: *"I have fixed my roof,
> I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."

I second this motion. I just slam it down on the cutting board (I get
better leverage because I'm too short to do it efficiently in my sink)
Then the core pops out and I turn it "hole side up" and do exactly
what Barb does. For big salads I just break it with my hands.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> On Jan 9, 6:17*pm, Miche > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > *"Kswck" > wrote:

> > > I peel off the outside leaves. Check for bugs. Cut out the root. I do give
> > > it a good wash and spin.
> > > Put a paper towel in after the spin if needed. Chill and eat.
> > > Foodies will tell ya to cut ONLY with a plastic knife-prevents browning.

> > I've never found that a plastic knife prevents browning. *How does the
> > lettuce know what the knife is made of?
> >
> > I try not to cut lettuce at all if I can avoid it. *I tear it instead.

> Agreed, but iceberg? It sounds tedious to peel off a leaf, tear it,
> etc. I always wash other leafy stuff well, so that's my question.

Nah, it's not that tedious. You can peel several leaves and then tear
them all at once.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 8:21*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article
> >,*merryb > wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?

> Nah.
>
> > Ready!

> Stand in front of your sink with the head of lettuce in hand. Give the
> core a smart thwack on the inside wall of the sink *-- the motion will
> be towards you -- to knock loose the core. *Remove the core, peel any
> discolored or undesirable leaves from the outside then run cool water
> into the head to rinse. *Invert it, and let it drain for a couple hours
> in the dish drainer or on a cloth towel then stick it in a plastic bag.
>
> Works for me.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> <http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
> December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: *"I have fixed my roof,
> I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."

I agree that this method works well- I have noticed that if you core
it, it goes downhill from there...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb > wrote in

..com:

> On Jan 9, 5:47*pm, sandi > wrote:
>> merryb > wrote

>> Pull apart & wash in very lightly soapy icy water.
>> Rinse with cold,cold water. *Spin. *Re-spin and re-spin in
>> lettuce spinner. *Drain out the water in the spinner. Leave
>> lettuce (which isn't used) in the spinner container and it
>> lasts for a week or more. *

> I would NEVER wash greens in any amount of soap- there's
> better things to use if you are that worried...

Never used to worry. But a 1/2 drop of soap in a large basin
of water is no big deal to any veg.

Rather be safe than sorry. Plus (after spins) lettuce stays firm,
clean, crisp for quit a long while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche > wrote in

> I've never found that a plastic knife prevents browning. How
> does the lettuce know what the knife is made of?
>
> I try not to cut lettuce at all if I can avoid it. I tear it
> instead.
>
> Miche

Agreed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Jan 9, 7:52?pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> > Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> > you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> > off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> > never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> > shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> > say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> > Ready!

> I peel off the outside leaves. Check for bugs. Cut out the root. I do give
> it a good wash and spin.
> Put a paper towel in after the spin if needed. Chill and eat.
> Foodies will tell ya to cut ONLY with a plastic knife-prevents browning.

I don't decore unless I'm going to use the entire head. But still a
head of iceberg never lasts me more than 2-3 days.. I don't buy
lettuce to garnish my fridge, I buy it to eat. I could never
understand folks who buy perishable produce as an investment... then a
week passes and they see it's all ugli... their brains are ugli.

I grow my own hydroponically w/Aerogrow. On occasions when neither Aerogrow
is ready to harvest, I will buy lettuce, depending on the price. Iceberg
lettuce varies widely around here week to week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 6:28*pm, merryb > wrote:
> Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> Ready!

Sure I wash and remove the outer leave. I used to whack it on the sink
to remove the core until I realized I was denting my steel sink.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
> Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> Ready!

If for a tossed salad I hold the head core side up and then with a strong
blow of my fist punch the core down. This action breaks all the leaves
loose. The outer leaves I rinse and save for sandwiches, the balance of the
head gets broken into chunks and placed in a spinner. If however the salad
is for immediate consumption then a knife is in order then into the spinner.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: Becca >
Date: 1998/08/30
Subject: Salad spinner, salad spinner, salad spinner

Miche and Dave wrote:

> Here's how I dry lettuce:

> Take washed leaves and place them in the centre of a clean tea-cloth

(dish
> towel). Pull the corners together. Go outside or someplace you can
> safely throw water around. Spin your arm around and around so that the
> water is thrown off the lettuce by centrifugal force (think windmill
> here).

> Done.

> Miche

I did it that way, until disaster struck during a dinner party. One
corner of the towel slipped from my grasp and salad greens went in a
beautiful arc across the room, a big leaf of lettuce hitting a guest
square in the middle of her forehead. After that, I picked up one of
the cheapo plastic crank-type spinners, and I like it. I also use it to
spin water out of canned tuna, it does a great job of that.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 18:44:39 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

>> I try not to cut lettuce at all if I can avoid it. *I tear it instead.
>>
>> Miche
>>
>> --
>> Electricians do it in three phases

>Agreed, but iceberg? It sounds tedious to peel off a leaf, tear it,
>etc. I always wash other leafy stuff well, so that's my question.

I dig a thumb into the head near the core, and rip out a handful chunk
of lettuce, then tear that into smaller chunks.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sandi > wrote:

> merryb > wrote in
>
> s.com:
>
> > Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was
> > wondering how you prepare it for eating- I peel off the
> > outside leaves, and then cut off a chunk (yeah, I know about
> > the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I never realized that I
> > never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't shake off well-
> > it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What say you?
> > Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post? Ready!

> Pull apart & wash in very lightly soapy icy water.
> Rinse with cold,cold water. Spin. Re-spin and re-spin in lettuce
> spinner. Drain out the water in the spinner. Leave lettuce
> (which isn't used) in the spinner container and it lasts for
> a week or more.

I peel the outer leaves if they look dry (and they often do) then remove
the core and slice it or tear it.

Since I usually discard the outer leaves and the inside is clean, I see
no reason to wash it.

I DO wash leaf, and romaine, but they sometimes have retained sand.
Iceberg (to date) never has had that problem.

Funny, I avoided iceberg for a long time as I figured the red and green
leaf had more nutritional value, but I went back to it for the texture.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> merryb > wrote:
>
> > Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> > you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> > off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> > never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> > shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> > say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> > Ready!

> Put the iceberg lettuce in the middle of a teatowel. Pull the corners
> together. Go outside and whirl the towel around (big arm circles).
> Quickest and most efficient way to get the water out that I have ever
> used.
>
> Miche

That is what my mom did...
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Kswck" > wrote:
>
> > "merryb" > wrote in message
> > > Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> > > you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> > > off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> > > never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> > > shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> > > say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> > > Ready!

> > I peel off the outside leaves. Check for bugs. Cut out the root. I do give
> > it a good wash and spin.
> > Put a paper towel in after the spin if needed. Chill and eat.
> > Foodies will tell ya to cut ONLY with a plastic knife-prevents browning.

> I've never found that a plastic knife prevents browning. How does the
> lettuce know what the knife is made of?
>
> I try not to cut lettuce at all if I can avoid it. I tear it instead.
>
> Miche

A bit of lemon juice will drastically delay browning of lettuce leaves.
Go easy with it so it won't cause wilting.

It really works and the flavor is usually complimentary to any other
dressings added to it.

I've sliced up an entire large head of iceberg and added the juice of
1/2 medium sized lemon and toss well. Put that into a large ziplock and
refrigerate. I've had it stay not browned for up to 8 days that way, if
it lasted that long. <g>

Generally, when I'm on a salad kick at work, I'll eat 1/4 head per night.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Miche wrote:
>
> > Put the iceberg lettuce in the middle of a teatowel. Pull the corners
> > together. Go outside and whirl the towel around (big arm circles).
> > Quickest and most efficient way to get the water out that I have ever
> > used.

> About four years ago, I wrote this:
>
> Once when I was on temporary assignment to Virginia I had to do without a
> salad spinner, the corporate apartment *did* have lots of clean bed linens.
> You can put wet salad greens into a pillowcase, take it outside, and swing
> it around your head to dry the greens; I think it actually works BETTER than
> a salad spinner. (Lots more centrifugal force.) Who cares what the
> neighbors think when they see you whirling a greens-laden pillowcase around?
> If you see them watching, you can act like you're doing some kind of martial
> arts training: Stamp and kick your feet, swing the pillowcase in
> figure-eights, and every now and then belt out a hearty "Hi-YAH!" You'll
> soon see them treating you with new respect. :-)
>
> Bob

<snicker>
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> On Jan 9, 6:17*pm, Miche > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > *"Kswck" > wrote:

> > > I peel off the outside leaves. Check for bugs. Cut out the root. I do give
> > > it a good wash and spin.
> > > Put a paper towel in after the spin if needed. Chill and eat.
> > > Foodies will tell ya to cut ONLY with a plastic knife-prevents browning.

> > I've never found that a plastic knife prevents browning. *How does the
> > lettuce know what the knife is made of?
> >
> > I try not to cut lettuce at all if I can avoid it. *I tear it instead.
> >
> > Miche
> >
> > --
> > Electricians do it in three phases

> Agreed, but iceberg? It sounds tedious to peel off a leaf, tear it,
> etc. I always wash other leafy stuff well, so that's my question.

No! When you tear Iceberg, you just rip the entire head apart. :-)

It's rather fun actually.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 12:11�pm, Becca > wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > Miche wrote:

> >> Put the iceberg lettuce in the middle of a teatowel. �Pull the corners
> >> together. �Go outside and whirl the towel around (big arm circles).
> >> Quickest and most efficient way to get the water out that I have ever
> >> used.

> > About four years ago, I wrote this:

> > Once when I was on temporary assignment to Virginia I had to do without a
> > salad spinner, the corporate apartment *did* have lots of clean bed linens.
> > You can put wet salad greens into a pillowcase, take it outside, and swing
> > it around your head to dry the greens; I think it actually works BETTER
> > than
> > a salad spinner. (Lots more centrifugal force.) �Who cares what the
> > neighbors think when they see you whirling a greens-laden pillowcase
> > around?
> > If you see them watching, you can act like you're doing some kind of
> > martial
> > arts training: �Stamp and kick your feet, swing the pillowcase in
> > figure-eights, and every now and then belt out a hearty "Hi-YAH!" �You'll
> > soon see them treating you with new respect. :-)

> > Bob

> In 1998, I wrote this, and it was a response to Miche:
>
> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
> From: Becca >
> Date: 1998/08/30
> Subject: Salad spinner, salad spinner, salad spinner
>
> Miche and Dave wrote:
>
> �> Here's how I dry lettuce:
>
> �> Take washed leaves and place them in the centre of a clean tea-cloth
> (dish
> �> towel). �Pull the corners together. �Go outside or someplace you can
> �> safely throw water around. �Spin your arm around and around so that the
> �> water is thrown off the lettuce by centrifugal force (think windmill
> �> here).
>
> �> Done.
>
> �> Miche
>
> I did it that way, until disaster struck during a dinner party. �One
> corner of the towel slipped from my grasp and salad greens went in a
> beautiful arc across the room, a big leaf of lettuce hitting a guest
> square in the middle of her forehead. �After that, I picked up one of
> the cheapo plastic crank-type spinners, and I like it. �I also use it to
> spin water out of canned tuna, it does a great job of that.

Except for the few outer leaves there's no reason to wash iceberg
lettuce. Iceberg grows from the center out... there is no more reason
to wash the inner portion of a head of iceberg than there is to wash
the inner portion of a head of cabbage. Banging the core out and then
filling the head with water is dumb. When tight headed leafy
vegetable is growing even the heaviest rain doesn't enter the head...
it's actually cleaner inside than before you wash it. When you slice
an apple or orange do you wash the slices, of course not, well it's
just as inane to wash inside a head of iceberg lettuce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> Ready!

I love iceberg, primarily because of the texture...

I've used it in stir - fries, it works well...

I'm making a BLT dip with it for a b-day "do" next weekend...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> I love iceberg, primarily because of the texture...
>
> I've used it in stir - fries, it works well...

Really! It stays crunchy?

Generally for crunch in stir fry's, I use bean sprouts.

I may have to try your suggestion just for grins. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 2:02�pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article > ,
> �"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
>
> > I love iceberg, primarily because of the texture...

> > I've used it in stir - fries, it works well...

> Really! It stays crunchy?
>
> Generally for crunch in stir fry's, I use bean sprouts.
>
> I may have to try your suggestion just for grins. :-)

Shredded iceberg is an excellent addition to ramen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:02:59 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article > ,
> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
>
>> I love iceberg, primarily because of the texture...
>>
>> I've used it in stir - fries, it works well...

>Really! It stays crunchy?
>
>Generally for crunch in stir fry's, I use bean sprouts.
>
>I may have to try your suggestion just for grins. :-)

For a bit of crunch in stirfry, slice the tough outside from the
broccoli stalk, then slice the inside diagonally. Mild and crispy.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2:02?pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article <j Wdnc0ksLArfPXUnZ2dnUVZ >,
> > ?"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> >
> > > I love iceberg, primarily because of the texture...

> > > I've used it in stir - fries, it works well...

> > Really! It stays crunchy?
> >
> > Generally for crunch in stir fry's, I use bean sprouts.
> >
> > I may have to try your suggestion just for grins. :-)

> Shredded iceberg is an excellent addition to ramen.

Huh. Cool idea.

I don't eat much Ramen at the moment, but do as a comfort food/treat
from time to time.

Ramen generally gets thinly sliced meat strips, hard boiled egg wedges
and chopped scallions.

Adding thin sliced lettuce sounds more interesting than cabbage.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweepter. Once." -- Anonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 10, 10:05*am, Sheldon > wrote:
> On Jan 10, 12:11 pm, Becca > wrote:
>

> > Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> > > About four years ago, I wrote this:

> > > Once when I was on temporary assignment to Virginia I had to do without a
> > > salad spinner, the corporate apartment *did* have lots of clean bed linens.
> > > You can put wet salad greens into a pillowcase, take it outside, and swing
> > > it around your head to dry the greens; I think it actually works BETTER
> > > than
> > > a salad spinner. (Lots more centrifugal force.) Who cares what the
> > > neighbors think when they see you whirling a greens-laden pillowcase
> > > around?
> > > If you see them watching, you can act like you're doing some kind of
> > > martial
> > > arts training: Stamp and kick your feet, swing the pillowcase in
> > > figure-eights, and every now and then belt out a hearty "Hi-YAH!" You'll
> > > soon see them treating you with new respect. :-)

> > > Bob

> > In 1998, I wrote this, and it was a response to Miche:

> > Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
> > From: Becca >
> > Date: 1998/08/30
> > Subject: Salad spinner, salad spinner, salad spinner

> > Miche and Dave wrote:

> > > Here's how I dry lettuce:

> > > Take washed leaves and place them in the centre of a clean tea-cloth

> > (dish
> > > towel). Pull the corners together. Go outside or someplace you can
> > > safely throw water around. Spin your arm around and around so that the
> > > water is thrown off the lettuce by centrifugal force (think windmill
> > > here).

> > > Done.

> > > Miche

> > I did it that way, until disaster struck during a dinner party. One
> > corner of the towel slipped from my grasp and salad greens went in a
> > beautiful arc across the room, a big leaf of lettuce hitting a guest
> > square in the middle of her forehead. After that, I picked up one of
> > the cheapo plastic crank-type spinners, and I like it. I also use it to
> > spin water out of canned tuna, it does a great job of that.

> Except for the few outer leaves there's no reason to wash iceberg
> lettuce. *Iceberg grows from the center out... there is no more reason
> to wash the inner portion of a head of iceberg than there is to wash
> the inner portion of a head of cabbage. *Banging the core out and then
> filling the head with water is dumb. *When tight headed leafy
> vegetable is growing even the heaviest rain doesn't enter the head...
> it's actually cleaner inside than before you wash it. *When you slice
> an apple or orange do you wash the slices, of course not, *well it's
> just as inane to wash inside a head of iceberg lettuce.

Thank you for confirming what I thought...I know water can rot stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

> Except for the few outer leaves there's no reason to wash iceberg
> lettuce.

Up until a few years ago, I never rinsed lettuce. Now I rinse my
cut/turn lettuce for salads as it tastes better for some reason. I
beleive it's because there is some "sap" that comes out of the turn
lettuce that oxidizes immediately. and gives it a flavor.

Romaine lettuce, for example, when cut, often seeps a visible milky
substance at the center of the leaf stalk.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 7:39*pm, Sheldon > wrote:

> I also wash and eat the outer leaves, they're good for sandwiches.
> The inner portion doesn't really need washing as most all iceberg is
> hydroponically grown.

Possibly this time of year, yes. However, I've bought lettuce that
had
a substantial amount of black dirt around the stem/root end.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 6:28*pm, merryb > wrote:
> Altho we don't eat a lot of it, it has it's place. I was wondering how
> you prepare it for eating- I peel off the outside leaves, and then cut
> off a chunk (yeah, I know about the knife thing). Then I cut it up- I
> never realized that I never wash it..I tried, but the water doesn't
> shake off well- it needs to be spinned or drained a long time. What
> say you? Do I need a fire retardant apron for this post?
> Ready!

I cut the center out - pull off the gross outer leaves - kind of
spread the head open and then pour lots of cold water into the center
- turn upside down to drain until most of it has run out.

When I use some in a salad, I spin it with cold water. For
sandwiches, I just use it as I pull it off the head.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Foodies will tell ya to cut ONLY with a plastic knife-prevents browning.

I haven't found any advantage to the plastic knife thing - browning
occurs because the leaf cells are crushed - a plastic knife doesn't
change that.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> > Foodies will tell ya to cut ONLY with a plastic knife-prevents browning.

> I haven't found any advantage to the plastic knife thing - browning
> occurs because the leaf cells are crushed - a plastic knife doesn't
> change that.
>
> N.

True.

A little lemon juice helps tho', just like with apples and avocados.
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous