Carol In WI

Default Lettuce...

Curious question, what does lettuce look like when it seeds? I have never
seen a head of lettuce go to seed. Any idea where to go and see what it
looks like? Thanks a bunch, Carol In WI

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"Carol In WI" > wrote:

> Curious question, what does lettuce look like when it seeds? I have never
> seen a head of lettuce go to seed. Any idea where to go and see what it
> looks like? Thanks a bunch, Carol In WI

In my experience, lettuce "bolts," which means the heads start growing
upwards with a stalk in the center. I think I've had it even go to seed
after bolting. It'll still have leaves but it tends to get bitter as it
bolts, which is what it does when the weather gets too warm.

Come by my garden in July, and I'll show you some bolting lettuce. ;-)

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
Michael Odom

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 02:38:01 GMT, "Carol In WI" >
wrote:

>Curious question, what does lettuce look like when it seeds? I have never
>seen a head of lettuce go to seed. Any idea where to go and see what it
>looks like? Thanks a bunch, Carol In WI

The head opens up and a stalk "bolts" from the center. Tiny flowers
(the ones I've seen are yellow or white) bloom at the top of the
stalk, followed by small seed pods.

On a related note, if your arugula bolts, as mine always has
eventually, the leaves get too bitter, but the flowers are very tasty.
Tiny, but delicious.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore