Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is iceberg lettuce bad for you?

I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
eating it anyway?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

> I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
> eating it anyway?

You mean like ... all day, every day? Probably not.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James > wrote:
> I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
> eating it anyway?

Unless it's contaminated in some way, no it's not bad for you.
A little fiber and mostly water. What's to cause harm?

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
> eating it anyway?

Why not? Especially if it reduces the amount of lard or potato chips you
might have eaten.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
> I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
> eating it anyway?

Better off than what? It's roughage; it won't hurt you. Won't do much
nutritionally, though.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
>I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
> eating it anyway?

NO it's not bad for you.

If you eat nothing else that's a different story.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
> I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
> eating it anyway?

You're better off with something like Romaine lettuce, but unless you have
digestive issues to worry about, eat up.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "James" > wrote in message
> >I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
> > eating it anyway?

> NO it's not bad for you.
>
> If you eat nothing else that's a different story.
>
> Dimitri

It's a great diet food. :-) High in fiber...
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> James wrote:
> > I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
> > eating it anyway?

> You're better off with something like Romaine lettuce, but unless you have
> digestive issues to worry about, eat up.
>
> kili

Red leaf. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote on Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:04:16 -0400:

> James wrote:
>> I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better
>> off eating it anyway?

> You're better off with something like Romaine lettuce, but
> unless you have digestive issues to worry about, eat up.

Iceberg lettuce, tastes good to me and I like a chunk with Thousand
Island or Russian dressing, especially with cold small shrimp. It has a
pleasant texture but, probably because it is popular, is disparaged by
some. Iceberg lettuce is an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin K and
vitamin C. It is also a good source of thiamin, vitamin B6 and folate
(vitamin B).

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> James wrote:
>> I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
>> eating it anyway?

> You're better off with something like Romaine lettuce,

WHY?

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> kilikini wrote on Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:04:16 -0400:
>
> > James wrote:
> >> I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better
> >> off eating it anyway?

> > You're better off with something like Romaine lettuce, but
> > unless you have digestive issues to worry about, eat up.

> Iceberg lettuce, tastes good to me and I like a chunk with Thousand
> Island or Russian dressing, especially with cold small shrimp. It has a
> pleasant texture but, probably because it is popular, is disparaged by
> some. Iceberg lettuce is an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin K and
> vitamin C. It is also a good source of thiamin, vitamin B6 and folate
> (vitamin B).

I used to never purchase it due to the lack of nutritional value... but
since I've been on a very long term diet, (I anticipate at least trying
to stick to it for another year at the very least), I look more for
texture now.

While romaine is nearly as crispy, I don't always want the bitter taste
it tends to have.

I've been enjoying 1/4 head of Iceberg for dinner at work lately... but
still mix in the red or green leaf too for flavor and nutrition, along
with baby spinach leaf.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> > James wrote:
> >> I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
> >> eating it anyway?

> > You're better off with something like Romaine lettuce,

> WHY?
>
> Dimitri

Nutritional value. Like many of us, Kili tends to cook for nutrition as
much as flavor. Fortunately, it's not difficult. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> "Dimitri" > wrote:

>>> You're better off with something like Romaine lettuce,

>> WHY?
>>
>> Dimitri

> Nutritional value. Like many of us, Kili tends to cook for nutrition
> as much as flavor. Fortunately, it's not difficult. :-)

Here's a chart for romaine:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2475/2

Iceberg:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2476/2

Iceberg just might deserve a little respect.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 1:11*pm, James > wrote:
> I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
> eating it anyway?

The problem is not the iceberg lettuce; its the stuff one puts on
it. That's the deadly part.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:11:13 -0700 (PDT), James
> wrote:

>I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
>eating it anyway?

I don't care if it's bad or good. It's horrible, nasty stuff.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
>> James wrote:
>>> I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
>>> eating it anyway?

>> You're better off with something like Romaine lettuce,

> WHY?
>
> Dimitri

Darker greens have more vitamins.
To me iceberg is just something to eat for the coolness (that high water
content) or crunch. I don't ever bother with it for flavor. Does it
really have much of a flavor??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:

>>> You're better off with something like Romaine lettuce,

>> WHY?
>>
>> Dimitri

> Darker greens have more vitamins.
> To me iceberg is just something to eat for the coolness (that high water
> content) or crunch. I don't ever bother with it for flavor. Does it
> really have much of a flavor??

Not much. Iceberg is an excuse to eat salad dressing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen said...

> Goomba wrote:
>
>> Dimitri wrote:

>>> WHY?
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> Darker greens have more vitamins.
>> To me iceberg is just something to eat for the coolness (that high water
>> content) or crunch. I don't ever bother with it for flavor. Does it
>> really have much of a flavor??

> Not much. Iceberg is an excuse to eat salad dressing.

Iceburg only has it's place shredded for tacos, imho. Romaine, stripped of
it's ribs serves well on sandwiches such as tuna salad or burgers or BLTs.
Not as jaw breaking and softer chewing lettuce, it's only fault being it
doesn't tear without a fight, ime.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Kathleen said...
>

>>Goomba wrote:

>>>Darker greens have more vitamins.
>>>To me iceberg is just something to eat for the coolness (that high water
>>>content) or crunch. I don't ever bother with it for flavor. Does it
>>>really have much of a flavor??

>>Not much. Iceberg is an excuse to eat salad dressing.

> Iceburg only has it's place shredded for tacos, imho. Romaine, stripped of
> it's ribs serves well on sandwiches such as tuna salad or burgers or BLTs.
> Not as jaw breaking and softer chewing lettuce, it's only fault being it
> doesn't tear without a fight, ime.

I prefer finely shredded cabbage on tacos. It's crunchier, sweeter
tasting, and actually has some nutritional value.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:13:44 -0400, "Nancy Young"

>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Nutritional value. Like many of us, Kili tends to cook for nutrition
>>> as much as flavor. Fortunately, it's not difficult. :-)

>> Here's a chart for romaine:
>>
>> http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2475/2
>>
>> Iceberg:
>>
>> http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2476/2
>>
>> Iceberg just might deserve a little respect.

> Did you notice the serving sizes? Romaine 6 grams, Iceberg 72 grams.

I wondered at the discrepancy but didn't notice the serving size.
However, I don't think iceberg is the nutritional wasteland that
people think, and while I don't buy it very often, if at all, when I
do I actually eat much more of it than I do romaine. A wedge
or a slab, compared to a leaf or two.

Also, I don't eat those dark outer leaves that might give romaine
the edge, I eat the pale hearts. If darker greens have more
vitamins, do you think the inner leaves have lower nutritional
value? I'm just curious, I don't eat lettuce for nutrition, I don't
eat green salad as often as I should.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:13:44 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Omelet wrote:

>>> WHY?
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> Nutritional value. Like many of us, Kili tends to cook for nutrition
>> as much as flavor. Fortunately, it's not difficult. :-)

>Here's a chart for romaine:
>
>http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2475/2
>
>Iceberg:
>
>http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2476/2
>
>Iceberg just might deserve a little respect.
>
>nancy

Did you notice the serving sizes? Romaine 6 grams, Iceberg 72 grams.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>
>> Dimitri wrote:

>>> WHY?
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> Darker greens have more vitamins.
>> To me iceberg is just something to eat for the coolness (that high
>> water content) or crunch. I don't ever bother with it for flavor.
>> Does it really have much of a flavor??

> Not much. Iceberg is an excuse to eat salad dressing.

That is a PERFECT answer! LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>>
>> Iceburg only has it's place shredded for tacos, imho. Romaine,
>> stripped of it's ribs serves well on sandwiches such as tuna salad
>> or burgers or BLTs. Not as jaw breaking and softer chewing lettuce,
>> it's only fault being it doesn't tear without a fight, ime.

> I prefer finely shredded cabbage on tacos. It's crunchier, sweeter
> tasting, and actually has some nutritional value.

I only eat fish tacos and cabbage really seems to fit with fish, so I'm
doing big thumbs up on this one! The combo of corn tortillas, fish,
cabbage, sweet onion, cilantro, with lots of freshly squeezed lime juice is
so yummy.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini said...

> Kathleen wrote:
>> Andy wrote:
>>>
>>> Iceburg only has it's place shredded for tacos, imho. Romaine,
>>> stripped of it's ribs serves well on sandwiches such as tuna salad
>>> or burgers or BLTs. Not as jaw breaking and softer chewing lettuce,
>>> it's only fault being it doesn't tear without a fight, ime.

>> I prefer finely shredded cabbage on tacos. It's crunchier, sweeter
>> tasting, and actually has some nutritional value.

> I only eat fish tacos and cabbage really seems to fit with fish, so I'm
> doing big thumbs up on this one! The combo of corn tortillas, fish,
> cabbage, sweet onion, cilantro, with lots of freshly squeezed lime juice
> is so yummy.
>
> kili

I won't knock cabbage since I've been served a taco with it (never was an
option).

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy said...

> since I've been served a taco with it

Oops... meant:

since I've never been served a taco with it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Andy said...
>

>>since I've been served a taco with it

> Oops... meant:
>
> since I've never been served a taco with it

Don't wait to be served one, make it yourself.

Grilled flaked fish (salmon is nice, but pretty much any fish will do),
steamed corn tortillas, finely shredded cabbage, lime wedges to squeeze
over the top, will give you the basics.

Add salsa, fresh or jarred, maybe a little shredded cheese or a dab of
sour cream if you've got them on hand.

If you want to get fancy, mix a little light sour cream, some lime juice
and a minced canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce to make a truly kick
ass dressing.

In fact, you can skip the tortillas and serve the flaked fish on a bed
of shredded cabbage topped with the above dressing. Garnish with
crumbled tortilla chips with salsa and more chips and/or guacamole on
the side.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 3:10�am, Goomba > wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:

> >> You're better off with something like Romaine lettuce,

> > WHY?

> > Dimitri

> Darker greens have more vitamins.
> To me iceberg is just something to eat for the coolness (that high water
> content) or crunch. I don't ever bother with it for flavor. Does it
> really have much of a flavor??

Other than fiber and bulk (two different qualities) no lettuce has
much nutritional value... even if say one darker leafed lettuce has
twice the vitamins/minerals of iceberg who cares... twice two is
four... when multplying trace elements there is little advantage, no
one eats lettuce for vitamins/minerals. There are many vegetables
that are far more nutrition laden bite for bite... but lettuces offer
something few other foods do, a high percentage of bulk to fiber
ratio... it's much easier to consume a large volume of lettuce than it
is to consume most other raw vegetables in volume (just how many raw
carrots does one consume at a sitting) Eat lettuce every day, and in
generous quantities, just learn ways to enjoy lettuce without oily,
salty, sugary dressings; molded gelatinized salads are an excellent
and interesting way to enjoy letuce.... and they don't necessarily
need to be artificially flavored, real fruit works too, as do
vegetable juices, as do fat free meat aspics And that's just one
catagory, there are literally hundreds. Many of the oriental lettuces
are hardly green at all, but very crisp and piquant, mild mustardy,
radish, turnip flavored sorts, with interesting textures, and low fat/
salt oriental flavored dressings are easy and quick... and for those
not to fond of rabbit food it goes well with cold pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
>> Andy said...
>>

>>> since I've been served a taco with it

>> Oops... meant:
>>
>> since I've never been served a taco with it

> Don't wait to be served one, make it yourself.
>
> Grilled flaked fish (salmon is nice, but pretty much any fish will
> do), steamed corn tortillas, finely shredded cabbage, lime wedges to
> squeeze over the top, will give you the basics.
>
> Add salsa, fresh or jarred, maybe a little shredded cheese or a dab of
> sour cream if you've got them on hand.
>
> If you want to get fancy, mix a little light sour cream, some lime
> juice and a minced canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce to make a
> truly kick ass dressing.
>
> In fact, you can skip the tortillas and serve the flaked fish on a bed
> of shredded cabbage topped with the above dressing. Garnish with
> crumbled tortilla chips with salsa and more chips and/or guacamole on
> the side.

A woman who understands what a true fish taco is! High five, girlfriend!
:~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> GUEST wrote:
> I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
> eating it anyway?

I was told almost all green stuff is good
to eat...i mean as in vegetables..(Dont get any funny ideas)
I actually like iceberg salad with more green stuff and some of those
round red things and so on...
Although most of the time when i eat it ill end up on the floor having
seizures and ending up in intensive care, with the doctor saying my
system was in shock from eating "healthy stuff"

(Oh buy the way...i dont eat very much healthy stuff if you noticed
:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
>I know it's basically water and not much else but am I better off
> eating it anyway?

I'm still freaked out about spinach.

Right now I'm breathlessly watching FOX news, waiting for them to tell me
what to be afraid of next.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> >> WHY?
> >>
> >> Dimitri

> > Nutritional value. Like many of us, Kili tends to cook for nutrition
> > as much as flavor. Fortunately, it's not difficult. :-)

> Here's a chart for romaine:
>
> http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2475/2
>
> Iceberg:
>
> http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2476/2
>
> Iceberg just might deserve a little respect.
>
> nancy

Cool, so color me re-educated. :-)
Thanks Nancy!
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Kathleen said...
>
> > Goomba wrote:

> >> Darker greens have more vitamins.
> >> To me iceberg is just something to eat for the coolness (that high water
> >> content) or crunch. I don't ever bother with it for flavor. Does it
> >> really have much of a flavor??

> > Not much. Iceberg is an excuse to eat salad dressing.

> Iceburg only has it's place shredded for tacos, imho. Romaine, stripped of
> it's ribs serves well on sandwiches such as tuna salad or burgers or BLTs.
> Not as jaw breaking and softer chewing lettuce, it's only fault being it
> doesn't tear without a fight, ime.
>
> Andy

The shape of Romaine makes it handy to serve "stuffed". I'll often use
it now in place of celery sticks when in the mood. It makes for good
"boats".
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> The Cook wrote:

> >> Here's a chart for romaine:
> >>
> >> http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2475/2
> >>
> >> Iceberg:
> >>
> >> http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2476/2
> >>
> >> Iceberg just might deserve a little respect.

> > Did you notice the serving sizes? Romaine 6 grams, Iceberg 72 grams.

> I wondered at the discrepancy but didn't notice the serving size.
> However, I don't think iceberg is the nutritional wasteland that
> people think, and while I don't buy it very often, if at all, when I
> do I actually eat much more of it than I do romaine. A wedge
> or a slab, compared to a leaf or two.
>
> Also, I don't eat those dark outer leaves that might give romaine
> the edge, I eat the pale hearts. If darker greens have more
> vitamins, do you think the inner leaves have lower nutritional
> value? I'm just curious, I don't eat lettuce for nutrition, I don't
> eat green salad as often as I should.
>
> nancy

Red leaf is excellent but my _personal_ favorite are hydroponic heads of
Boston Butter lettuce!
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Kathleen wrote:
> > Andy wrote:
> >>
> >> Iceburg only has it's place shredded for tacos, imho. Romaine,
> >> stripped of it's ribs serves well on sandwiches such as tuna salad
> >> or burgers or BLTs. Not as jaw breaking and softer chewing lettuce,
> >> it's only fault being it doesn't tear without a fight, ime.

> > I prefer finely shredded cabbage on tacos. It's crunchier, sweeter
> > tasting, and actually has some nutritional value.

> I only eat fish tacos and cabbage really seems to fit with fish, so I'm
> doing big thumbs up on this one! The combo of corn tortillas, fish,
> cabbage, sweet onion, cilantro, with lots of freshly squeezed lime juice is
> so yummy.
>
> kili

Tuna tacos are most excellent imho. The flavor of fish and chili really
does work.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:

> "kilikini" > news:gd7dab$ebg$1
> @news.datemas.de: in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Kathleen wrote:

> >> Not much. Iceberg is an excuse to eat salad dressing.

> > That is a PERFECT answer! LOL.

> LOL... I had to chuckle at that one too. While I use iceberg for stuff
> now and then I prefer the darker, leafier lettuces myself. I have to
> laugh when people order the "garden salad". When it gets to the table it
> is swimming in dressing.
>
> Michael

<lol> Order the dressing on the SIDE! I learned that a long time ago...

A squeeze of lime juice by itself on leaf lettuce is quite good, or an
herbed vinegar. I'll sometimes even use a little Brag's liquid aminos if
I want something saltier and want to keep it low fat.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> The shape of Romaine makes it handy to serve "stuffed". I'll often use
> it now in place of celery sticks when in the mood. It makes for good
> "boats".

Yep! Agreed! A great diet alternative to tortillas, as faux taquito wrappers
(if diet dictates). And, the inner leaves are still pretty good to use for
stuffing compared to iceburg lettuce leaves.

Andy