Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to make bread pudding?

Mama taught me to make bread and butter pudding by taking slices of
bread, buttering them and putting jam on them or sprinkling them with
sugar and fruit, then baking them in a custard. It comes out with
visible slices of bread in it... we went out to dinner last week and
they had a bread pudding that was absolutely delicous, but it had no
visible bread in it - it was a solid lump of pudding with the fruit
embedded in it. DH loved it even though he's always said 'bread
pudding, ugh!'... does anyone know how to make it? I assume they used
breadcrumbs instead of sliced bread?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> Mama taught me to make bread and butter pudding by taking slices of
> bread, buttering them and putting jam on them or sprinkling them with
> sugar and fruit, then baking them in a custard. It comes out with
> visible slices of bread in it... we went out to dinner last week and
> they had a bread pudding that was absolutely delicous, but it had no
> visible bread in it - it was a solid lump of pudding with the fruit
> embedded in it. DH loved it even though he's always said 'bread
> pudding, ugh!'... does anyone know how to make it? I assume they used
> breadcrumbs instead of sliced bread?

Oh, gee, that sounds like the cherry bread pudding I made decades
ago. You whomped the bread mixture up in the blender. It was
really delicious. Then I lost the knack--and the recipe.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to make bread pudding? + recipe

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> Mama taught me to make bread and butter pudding by taking slices of
> bread, buttering them and putting jam on them or sprinkling them with
> sugar and fruit, then baking them in a custard. It comes out with
> visible slices of bread in it... we went out to dinner last week and
> they had a bread pudding that was absolutely delicous, but it had no
> visible bread in it - it was a solid lump of pudding with the fruit
> embedded in it. DH loved it even though he's always said 'bread
> pudding, ugh!'... does anyone know how to make it? I assume they used
> breadcrumbs instead of sliced bread?

Not crumbs, Karen, but chunks or cubes. There are tons of recipes
online. Ruth, one of the cooks in the company caf used to make a very
popular bread pudding. She used day-old cinnamon rolls for the bread.
Using leftover rolls made with a sweet dough is not uncommon. This is a
recipe I included in a class I taught. It doesn't require a sweet bread.

-- Apple Butter Bread Pudding

6 slices thin sliced firm type bread, crusts trimmed
3/4 cups (approximately) apple butter
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cups milk
4 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cinnamon sugar (recipe below)
1 cup heavy cream or half and half

1. Line up 3 slices bread on cutting board; trim crusts; reserve crusts
for other use. Spread apple butter on bread. Top with remaining 3 slices
bread. Lightly brush a 6 cup casserole or souffle dish with some of the
melted butter. Brush top layer of bread with remaining butter.

2. Cut each apple butter sandwich into nine 1-inch squares. Place
randomly in the buttered souffle dish.

3. Whisk milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon in a large
bowl. Pour over bread; press down lightly with the back of a spatula so
bread is covered with milk.

4. Let stand one hour, or more. (Pudding can be made up one day ahead up
to this step; cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.)

5. Heat oven to 350?F. Heat kettle of water to boiling. Place the
pudding dish in shallow baking pan large enough to hold it. Place in
preheated oven and add boiling water halfway up the sides of baking pan.

6. Bake until pudding is puffed and browned and skewer inserted in
center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool
in water bath. Sprinkle the top of the pudding generously with cinnamon
sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature with a drizzle of heavy cream
or half and half.

Preparation time: 10 minutes * Soaking time 1 hour or overnight *
Serves: 6 to 8

-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> Mama taught me to make bread and butter pudding by taking slices of
> bread, buttering them and putting jam on them or sprinkling them with
> sugar and fruit, then baking them in a custard. It comes out with
> visible slices of bread in it... we went out to dinner last week and
> they had a bread pudding that was absolutely delicous, but it had no
> visible bread in it - it was a solid lump of pudding with the fruit
> embedded in it. DH loved it even though he's always said 'bread
> pudding, ugh!'... does anyone know how to make it? I assume they used
> breadcrumbs instead of sliced bread?

When I make it, I tear up the bread into little bits then soak it for at
least 10 minutes in the egg/milk/sugar/cinnamon mix...I get in there
with my fingers and squish it all up together and it comes out like you
noted above. Removing crusts can be a bonus.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 4, 2:28*pm, Kajikit > wrote:
> Mama taught me to make bread and butter pudding by taking slices of
> bread, buttering them and putting jam on them or sprinkling them with
> sugar and fruit, then baking them in a custard. It comes out with
> visible slices of bread in it... we went out to dinner last week and
> they had a bread pudding that was absolutely delicous, but it had no
> visible bread in it - it was a solid lump of pudding with the fruit
> embedded in it. DH loved it even though he's always said 'bread
> pudding, ugh!'... does anyone know how to make it? I assume they used
> breadcrumbs instead of sliced bread?

I made bread pudding for my family for dessert on xmas day. I'd never
made it before, and sure didn't follow a recipe.
I used about 1/2 a loaf of soft white bread that was a few days old,
and 6 or 8 large croissants that were also a few days old. Everything
was cubed up (crusts left on the bread). I beat together a dozen
eggs, a cup or so of egg nog, and some milk to round it out. Added
just under a cup of sugar, some vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. The
bread cubes were spread into two buttered dishes, with the custard
mixture ladled over top. Then the fun part, squishing down the bread
to make sure that every morsel sucked up the liquid. I did all this
at about 10 am, planning to eat it around 3. Over top went a mixture
of chopped walnuts, dried cranberries, and a few squares of dark
chocolate rough chopped. It was baked at about 300 for an hour or
so. Served it with a caramel/rum/butter sauce and everyone just raved
over it.

The finished product:
http://i44.tinypic.com/99p20x.jpg

tint

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> Mama taught me to make bread and butter pudding by taking slices of
> bread, buttering them and putting jam on them or sprinkling them with
> sugar and fruit, then baking them in a custard. It comes out with
> visible slices of bread in it... we went out to dinner last week and
> they had a bread pudding that was absolutely delicous, but it had no
> visible bread in it - it was a solid lump of pudding with the fruit
> embedded in it. DH loved it even though he's always said 'bread
> pudding, ugh!'... does anyone know how to make it? I assume they used
> breadcrumbs instead of sliced bread?

Your bread & butter pudding sounds very good, but variety is always nice.

Here is my favorite recipe for bread pudding. The 2nd recipe, is a
chocolate bread pudding that I cooked up in '97, after trying over and
over to get it right.

New Orleans Bread Pudding

1 Loaf French bread
1 Quart milk
3 Eggs
2 c Sugar
2 tb Vanilla extract
2 ts Ground cinnamon
1 c Raisins
3 tb Melted margarine or butter
1 c Sugar
1 Stick butter -(or margarine)
1 Egg, beaten
2 oz Bourbon whiskey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Tear bread into chunks and soak in milk.
Crush with hands to make sure milk has soaked through. Add eggs, sugar,
vanilla, cinnamon, raisins and stir well. Pour melted butter in bottom
of a heavy 9 x 14 baking pan. Add bread mixture (and you can sprinkle
more cinnamon and raisins on top) and bake until very firm, about 40
minutes. Cool pudding, cube it and put it into individual dessert
dishes. When ready to serve, add whiskey sauce and heat under broiler
for a few minutes (last step optional).

Whiskey sauce:

Cream sugar and butter and cook in a double-boiler until very hot and
well dissolved. Add well-beaten egg very slowly and whip very fast so
the egg doesn't curdle. Cool and add liquor.

Chocolate Bread Pudding

Recipe By : Becca Love
1 loaf bread -- crust trimmed
3 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup macadamia nuts -- halved or coarsely chopped
1 cup dried cherries
dash salt
3 tablespoons margarine -- melted
whipped cream -- optional

Chocolate Sauce

1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 cups pecan halves
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons bourbon
1/4 cup coffee

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cube bread, or tear into chunks. Heat milk in microwave safe bowl, just
until warm. Add chocolate chips and whisk gently until chocolate has
melted.

Beat eggs, then whisk a little of the milk mixture into the eggs, then
add the egg mixture to the milk mixture and mix well. Add sugar,
vanilla, cinnamon, salt, nuts and dried cherries. Stir well.

Pour this mixture over cubed bread; toss and stir well.

Pour melted margarine into a heavy 9 inch by 14 inch baking dish. Add
bread mixture and bake until firm, about 40 minutes.

Cool pudding, cut into cubes and put into individual serving dishes.
When ready to serve, add sauce and heat for a few minutes, top with
whipped cream.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:

> Mama taught me to make bread and butter pudding by taking slices of
> bread, buttering them and putting jam on them or sprinkling them with
> sugar and fruit, then baking them in a custard. It comes out with
> visible slices of bread in it... we went out to dinner last week and
> they had a bread pudding that was absolutely delicous, but it had no
> visible bread in it - it was a solid lump of pudding with the fruit
> embedded in it. DH loved it even though he's always said 'bread
> pudding, ugh!'... does anyone know how to make it? I assume they used
> breadcrumbs instead of sliced bread?

That is a very British type of bread pudding. The one with bread slices
is usually called 'bread and butter pudding' rather than bread pudding.

Here is a recipe:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ing_1024.shtml
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 10:44:12 -0800 (PST), tintalle wrote:

> I made bread pudding for my family for dessert on xmas day. I'd never
> made it before, and sure didn't follow a recipe.

I did, also. I'd never made bread pudding either, so I just grabbed the
first recipe I googled. I used golden raisins and also added walnuts. I
also added the simple sugar sauce given. It came out great and I'm a new
bread pudding convert. What a great way to use up old bread. I think I'll
try rice pudding next.

http://www.momswhothink.com/easy-rec...ng-recipe.html

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 04 Jan 2009 09:53:28p, notbob told us...

> On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 10:44:12 -0800 (PST), tintalle wrote:
>

>> I made bread pudding for my family for dessert on xmas day. I'd never
>> made it before, and sure didn't follow a recipe.

> I did, also. I'd never made bread pudding either, so I just grabbed the
> first recipe I googled. I used golden raisins and also added walnuts. I
> also added the simple sugar sauce given. It came out great and I'm a new
> bread pudding convert. What a great way to use up old bread. I think

I'll
> try rice pudding next.
>
> http://www.momswhothink.com/easy-rec...ng-recipe.html
>
> nb

No matter what the recipe you use calls for, use short grain rice for the
pudding. It's much creamier.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Sunday, 01(I)/04(IV)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
2wks 1hrs 54mins
Even a hawk is an eagle among crows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit > wrote in
:

> Mama taught me to make bread and butter pudding by taking slices of
> bread, buttering them and putting jam on them or sprinkling them with
> sugar and fruit, then baking them in a custard. It comes out with
> visible slices of bread in it... we went out to dinner last week and
> they had a bread pudding that was absolutely delicous, but it had no
> visible bread in it - it was a solid lump of pudding with the fruit
> embedded in it. DH loved it even though he's always said 'bread
> pudding, ugh!'... does anyone know how to make it? I assume they used
> breadcrumbs instead of sliced bread?

Apologies first - I have no assistance for you with the bread pudding.
However, just wanted to say - next Easter, try making bread and butter
pudding with left over hot cross buns (if you don't usually have any left
over, buy extra :-)). No jam. And use half cream/half milk for the custard.

Is good..

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 11:14:33 GMT, Rhonda Anderson

:

>> Mama taught me to make bread and butter pudding by taking slices of
>> bread, buttering them and putting jam on them or sprinkling them with
>> sugar and fruit, then baking them in a custard. It comes out with
>> visible slices of bread in it... we went out to dinner last week and
>> they had a bread pudding that was absolutely delicous, but it had no
>> visible bread in it - it was a solid lump of pudding with the fruit
>> embedded in it. DH loved it even though he's always said 'bread
>> pudding, ugh!'... does anyone know how to make it? I assume they used
>> breadcrumbs instead of sliced bread?

>Apologies first - I have no assistance for you with the bread pudding.
>However, just wanted to say - next Easter, try making bread and butter
>pudding with left over hot cross buns (if you don't usually have any left
>over, buy extra :-)). No jam. And use half cream/half milk for the custard.
>
>Is good..

I'd love to... but 'real' hot cross buns are something else they just
don't have in the US!!!!!!!!! Publix has something they CALL 'hot
cross buns' but they're just a plain old fruit bun with an icing cross
piped on the top of it, and they don't taste the same at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:

> I'd love to... but 'real' hot cross buns are something else they just
> don't have in the US!!!!!!!!! Publix has something they CALL 'hot
> cross buns' but they're just a plain old fruit bun with an icing cross
> piped on the top of it, and they don't taste the same at all.

You are right, they are not the same thing.

Do you like crumpets? Pepperidge Farm test marketed crumpets, where I
lived, and they were wonderful. My friend from England dropped by, and
she was so excited she couldn't stand it. They were good, very good,
but they quit making them. What a bummer.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Do you like crumpets? Pepperidge Farm test marketed crumpets, where I
> lived, and they were wonderful. My friend from England dropped by, and
> she was so excited she couldn't stand it. They were good, very good,
> but they quit making them. What a bummer.
>
> Becca

Our Sunflower Market carries "Gourmet Baker" crumpets made in Canada, I
think. They are very good.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 20:55:23 -0700, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Our Sunflower Market carries "Gourmet Baker" crumpets made in Canada, I
>think. They are very good.
>
>gloria p

I will have to look for those next time I go to Sunflower here.

How do you like that market, Gloria? I am a regular shopper at the
ones here in town....

Christine
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sunflower Market (was How to make bread pudding?)

Christine Dabney wrote:

> How do you like that market, Gloria? I am a regular shopper at the
> ones here in town....

I like it a lot, but can't find everything I want there. We just had one
open a couple of miles from home. I get there a lot more often than the
older one which was a lot further away.

Their "health and beauty" section is really, really expensive, even for
ordinary items.

It reminds me of Henry's/Boney's in San Diego, which by coincidence
opened a store (called "Sprouts" here) about 5 miles away, the same week
as Sunflower.

They still aren't Trader Joe's, however, but they have better produce
than most of the local supermarkets. The closest TJ is in Santa Fe, I
believe. :-(

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 21:52:33 -0700, Gloria P >
wrote:
>It reminds me of Henry's/Boney's in San Diego, which by coincidence
>opened a store (called "Sprouts" here) about 5 miles away, the same week
>as Sunflower.
>
>They still aren't Trader Joe's, however, but they have better produce
>than most of the local supermarkets. The closest TJ is in Santa Fe, I
>believe. :-(
>
>gloria p

Yeah, it has some of the better produce here in town... I think only
Whole Foods has better produce...at higher prices. I get really good
deals here at Sunflower. I often stop on the way home from work.

It is about the only place here in town where I can find Italian
parsley at a decent price. And they have good blood oranges in the
winter, as well as Cara Cara oranges. Just hoping that one day they
will carry Meyer lemons.

Maybe TJs will get up thataway sometime in the next few years...

Christine, who is lucky to have a TJs here in town too.
--
http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 11:14:33 GMT, Rhonda Anderson
> > wrote:

>>Apologies first - I have no assistance for you with the bread pudding.
>>However, just wanted to say - next Easter, try making bread and butter
>>pudding with left over hot cross buns (if you don't usually have any
>>left over, buy extra :-)). No jam. And use half cream/half milk for
>>the custard.
>>
>>Is good..

> I'd love to... but 'real' hot cross buns are something else they just
> don't have in the US!!!!!!!!! Publix has something they CALL 'hot
> cross buns' but they're just a plain old fruit bun with an icing cross
> piped on the top of it, and they don't taste the same at all.

No little independent bakeries make them? That's a bummer. Well, if you
like baking bread and other yeasty things you could make some for yourself.
Or come Easter I could mail you some <g>.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 12:21:46 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>-- Apple Butter Bread Pudding

I googled quickly for apple butter recipes. Is it possible (or wise)
to make a small batch that doesn't have to go through the canning
process? I've threatened to take up canning but i still don't have
the equipment.

TIA

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 09:53:58 GMT, Rhonda Anderson

:

>> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 11:14:33 GMT, Rhonda Anderson
>> > wrote:

>>>Apologies first - I have no assistance for you with the bread pudding.
>>>However, just wanted to say - next Easter, try making bread and butter
>>>pudding with left over hot cross buns (if you don't usually have any
>>>left over, buy extra :-)). No jam. And use half cream/half milk for
>>>the custard.
>>>
>>>Is good..

>> I'd love to... but 'real' hot cross buns are something else they just
>> don't have in the US!!!!!!!!! Publix has something they CALL 'hot
>> cross buns' but they're just a plain old fruit bun with an icing cross
>> piped on the top of it, and they don't taste the same at all.

>No little independent bakeries make them? That's a bummer. Well, if you
>like baking bread and other yeasty things you could make some for yourself.
>Or come Easter I could mail you some <g>.

How about a recipe? I would like to try making some especially since
the ones available in the US don't seem to be the "real" thing.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 09:53:58 GMT, Rhonda Anderson
> > wrote:
>
>>Kajikit > wrote in
m:

>>> I'd love to... but 'real' hot cross buns are something else they
>>> just don't have in the US!!!!!!!!! Publix has something they CALL
>>> 'hot cross buns' but they're just a plain old fruit bun with an
>>> icing cross piped on the top of it, and they don't taste the same at
>>> all.

>>No little independent bakeries make them? That's a bummer. Well, if
>>you like baking bread and other yeasty things you could make some for
>>yourself. Or come Easter I could mail you some <g>.

> How about a recipe? I would like to try making some especially since
> the ones available in the US don't seem to be the "real" thing.

I'm just heading off to bed now as it's gone midnight and I have to be up
early for work, but I'll rustle one up tomorrow night and post it. I've
only made them once or twice myself - they're for sale at every supermarket
and bakery at Easter so I don't often bother. Plus I seem to have been born
without the gene that allows you to make good flour and water paste crosses
- mine are always wonky.

As I'm not in the US I've no idea what the hot cross buns available there
are like, but from Kajikit's description it seems that for starters they're
missing the spices - hot cross buns as I know them are a little different
to a plain fruit bun.
--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 12:21:46 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

> >-- Apple Butter Bread Pudding

> I googled quickly for apple butter recipes. Is it possible (or wise)
> to make a small batch that doesn't have to go through the canning
> process? I've threatened to take up canning but i still don't have
> the equipment.
>
> TIA
>
> Lou

AB-SO-LUTELY! If you don't want to can it, freeze it. I've done that
and notice no difference at all. I froze mine in some small plastic
containers (maybe the half cup size of Ziploc). Worked a treat.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:23:24 GMT, Rhonda Anderson

:

:

>>>No little independent bakeries make them? That's a bummer. Well, if
>>>you like baking bread and other yeasty things you could make some for
>>>yourself. Or come Easter I could mail you some <g>.

>> How about a recipe? I would like to try making some especially since
>> the ones available in the US don't seem to be the "real" thing.

>I'm just heading off to bed now as it's gone midnight and I have to be up
>early for work, but I'll rustle one up tomorrow night and post it. I've
>only made them once or twice myself - they're for sale at every supermarket
>and bakery at Easter so I don't often bother. Plus I seem to have been born
>without the gene that allows you to make good flour and water paste crosses
>- mine are always wonky.
>
>As I'm not in the US I've no idea what the hot cross buns available there
>are like, but from Kajikit's description it seems that for starters they're
>missing the spices - hot cross buns as I know them are a little different
>to a plain fruit bun.

Thanks, whenever you have time. It is a while until Easter.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 07:40:38 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 12:21:46 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >-- Apple Butter Bread Pudding

>> I googled quickly for apple butter recipes. Is it possible (or wise)
>> to make a small batch that doesn't have to go through the canning
>> process? I've threatened to take up canning but i still don't have
>> the equipment.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Lou

>AB-SO-LUTELY! If you don't want to can it, freeze it. I've done that
>and notice no difference at all. I froze mine in some small plastic
>containers (maybe the half cup size of Ziploc). Worked a treat.

Thanks!. I'm thinking that apple butter would be wonderful with your
cream cheese coffee cake recipe. I don't have much of a sweet tooth
so when I do indulge it's got to be top notch. And that recipe is
wonderful. My grandmother always made apple butter and I remember
liking it more than her jellies. It's been over 30 years since I've
had any but I can taste it as I type.

Thanks again

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 07:40:38 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Lou Decruss > wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 12:21:46 -0600, Melba's Jammin'

> >> I googled quickly for apple butter recipes. Is it possible (or wise)
> >> to make a small batch that doesn't have to go through the canning
> >> process? I've threatened to take up canning but i still don't have
> >> the equipment.
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Lou

> >AB-SO-LUTELY! If you don't want to can it, freeze it. I've done that
> >and notice no difference at all. I froze mine in some small plastic
> >containers (maybe the half cup size of Ziploc). Worked a treat.

> Thanks!. I'm thinking that apple butter would be wonderful with your
> cream cheese coffee cake recipe. I don't have much of a sweet tooth
> so when I do indulge it's got to be top notch. And that recipe is
> wonderful. My grandmother always made apple butter and I remember
> liking it more than her jellies. It's been over 30 years since I've
> had any but I can taste it as I type.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Lou

Apricot butter in that cream cheese coffeecake rules! I am pretty sure
that one of its blue ribbons included apricot butter swirled into the
filling.

I've got a ham to bake this afternoon and I'm thinking about mixing some
horseradish and apple butter together for a condiment.

By the by, Lou, if you make 3 or 6 of those coffeecakes, it's very easy
to cut a piece while frozen and thaw just the one for your pleasure.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> Thanks!. I'm thinking that apple butter would be wonderful with your
> cream cheese coffee cake recipe. I don't have much of a sweet tooth
> so when I do indulge it's got to be top notch. And that recipe is
> wonderful. My grandmother always made apple butter and I remember
> liking it more than her jellies. It's been over 30 years since I've
> had any but I can taste it as I type.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Lou

I love apple butter with my Taylor Pork Roll. Just a holdover from my
childhood when my folks would take all seven of us out on their boat and
would cook us pork roll, toast and apple butter for breakfasts.
A friend recently gave me a recipe for a pumpkin pie that uses apple
butter and it rec'd RAVES from his family.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 09:53:58 GMT, Rhonda Anderson
> > wrote:
>
> >Kajikit > wrote in
> :
> >
> >> On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 11:14:33 GMT, Rhonda Anderson

> >> I'd love to... but 'real' hot cross buns are something else they just
> >> don't have in the US!!!!!!!!! Publix has something they CALL 'hot
> >> cross buns' but they're just a plain old fruit bun with an icing cross
> >> piped on the top of it, and they don't taste the same at all.

> >No little independent bakeries make them? That's a bummer. Well, if you
> >like baking bread and other yeasty things you could make some for yourself.
> >Or come Easter I could mail you some <g>.

> How about a recipe? I would like to try making some especially since
> the ones available in the US don't seem to be the "real" thing.
> --
> Susan N.

Try this one:

Hot cross buns (From: 'Sunset cookbook of breads', adjusted)

1 cup milk heated with 2 tbs butter, cooled to lukewarm
1 package/2 tsp dry yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
4 cups unbleached plain/AP flour
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup currants or raisins if not available
1/4 cup finely diced mixed peel
2 eggs beaten
1 egg yolk plus 1 tsp water for glaze
plain sugar glaze for cross if liked

Dissolve yeast in the water and let stand for 5 minutes. Sift flour with
dry ingredients. Add the fruits. Mix in the beaten eggs, milk and yeast.
Turn the dough onto a floured board and knead until smooth. Place in a
greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled.
Knock down the dough, pinch into 36 pieces and form balls about 1 inch
diameter. Reserve a little dough to make crosses. Place them on a
greased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Make strips of dough and
place on buns in cross shape*. Brush each bun with the egg/water glaze.
Let rise until doubled.
Heat oven to 400 F. Bake about 10 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on
racks.

*if using sugar glaze to make crosses, let buns cool slightly and paint
crosses on tops.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

:

>>>No little independent bakeries make them? That's a bummer. Well, if
>>>you like baking bread and other yeasty things you could make some for
>>>yourself. Or come Easter I could mail you some <g>.

>> How about a recipe? I would like to try making some especially since
>> the ones available in the US don't seem to be the "real" thing.

>I'm just heading off to bed now as it's gone midnight and I have to be up
>early for work, but I'll rustle one up tomorrow night and post it. I've
>only made them once or twice myself - they're for sale at every supermarket
>and bakery at Easter so I don't often bother. Plus I seem to have been born
>without the gene that allows you to make good flour and water paste crosses
>- mine are always wonky.
>
>As I'm not in the US I've no idea what the hot cross buns available there
>are like, but from Kajikit's description it seems that for starters they're
>missing the spices - hot cross buns as I know them are a little different
>to a plain fruit bun.

Yes. The icing cross I could live with (even though the best part as a
kid was ALWAYS pulling the baked cross off and eating it first! lol)
but they have no spice in them whatsoever. They were so disappointing
that I've never felt any desire to have them again... there are a few
specialty bakeries around but I've never looked for hot cross buns
there. I'll have to have a hunt around Easter time and see what I can
dig up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:13:10 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:

>> Thanks!. I'm thinking that apple butter would be wonderful with your
>> cream cheese coffee cake recipe. I don't have much of a sweet tooth
>> so when I do indulge it's got to be top notch. And that recipe is
>> wonderful. My grandmother always made apple butter and I remember
>> liking it more than her jellies. It's been over 30 years since I've
>> had any but I can taste it as I type.
>>
>> Thanks again
>>
>> Lou

>Apricot butter in that cream cheese coffeecake rules! I am pretty sure
>that one of its blue ribbons included apricot butter swirled into the
>filling.

I'm so lacking in these butters I had to google an apricot butter
recipe. If I can get apricots this time of year maybe I'll make that
first. I even have a vanilla bean. I've made your coffee cake with
chopped up dried apricots that I softened over low heat with water and
it was awesome. I didn't know better but it still worked.

>I've got a ham to bake this afternoon and I'm thinking about mixing some
>horseradish and apple butter together for a condiment.

I'd eat that!

>By the by, Lou, if you make 3 or 6 of those coffeecakes, it's very easy
>to cut a piece while frozen and thaw just the one for your pleasure.

Thanks for all the tips and your patience.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:13:10 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Lou Decruss > wrote:

> >> Thanks!. I'm thinking that apple butter would be wonderful with your
> >> cream cheese coffee cake recipe. I don't have much of a sweet tooth
> >> so when I do indulge it's got to be top notch. And that recipe is
> >> wonderful. My grandmother always made apple butter and I remember
> >> liking it more than her jellies. It's been over 30 years since I've
> >> had any but I can taste it as I type.
> >>
> >> Thanks again
> >>
> >> Lou

> >Apricot butter in that cream cheese coffeecake rules! I am pretty sure
> >that one of its blue ribbons included apricot butter swirled into the
> >filling.

> I'm so lacking in these butters I had to google an apricot butter
> recipe. If I can get apricots this time of year maybe I'll make that
> first. I even have a vanilla bean. I've made your coffee cake with
> chopped up dried apricots that I softened over low heat with water and
> it was awesome. I didn't know better but it still worked.
> Lou

Check your email.
Meantime, you can make a nice apricot 'filling' or addition by chopping
some dried aps, covering with boiling water and letting them stand for a
couple hours. Drain most of the water, add some sugar, and cook slowly,
stirring frequently. Stir in some orange juice and grated rind if you
want to. Cool and use at will. Remember that it will thicken when it
cools.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
December 27, 2008, 7:30 a.m.: "I have fixed my roof,
I have mended my fences; now let the winter winds blow."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>The Cook > wrote in
m:

>>> On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 09:53:58 GMT, Rhonda Anderson
>>>

>>I'm just heading off to bed now as it's gone midnight and I have to be
>>up early for work, but I'll rustle one up tomorrow night and post it.
>>I've only made them once or twice myself - they're for sale at every
>>supermarket and bakery at Easter so I don't often bother. Plus I seem
>>to have been born without the gene that allows you to make good flour
>>and water paste crosses - mine are always wonky.
>>
>>As I'm not in the US I've no idea what the hot cross buns available
>>there are like, but from Kajikit's description it seems that for
>>starters they're missing the spices - hot cross buns as I know them
>>are a little different to a plain fruit bun.

> Thanks, whenever you have time. It is a while until Easter.

True - though I'm sure Easter eggs will make an appearance in the stores
shortly. I'll look through my recipes on the weekend. I noticed that
someone (was it Arri? my memory's not so hot today) has posted one already.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit > wrote in
:

> Yes. The icing cross I could live with (even though the best part as a
> kid was ALWAYS pulling the baked cross off and eating it first! lol)
> but they have no spice in them whatsoever. They were so disappointing
> that I've never felt any desire to have them again... there are a few
> specialty bakeries around but I've never looked for hot cross buns
> there. I'll have to have a hunt around Easter time and see what I can
> dig up.

Can't imagine a hot cross bun without spice. You know, Bakers Delight here
sells choc chip hot cross buns - that just seems wrong to me, but a lot of
people buy them.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:13:10 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>> >Apricot butter in that cream cheese coffeecake rules! I am pretty
>> >sure that one of its blue ribbons included apricot butter swirled
>> >into the filling.

>> I'm so lacking in these butters I had to google an apricot butter
>> recipe. If I can get apricots this time of year maybe I'll make that
>> first. I even have a vanilla bean. I've made your coffee cake with
>> chopped up dried apricots that I softened over low heat with water
>> and it was awesome. I didn't know better but it still worked.
>> Lou

> Check your email.
> Meantime, you can make a nice apricot 'filling' or addition by
> chopping some dried aps, covering with boiling water and letting them
> stand for a couple hours. Drain most of the water, add some sugar,
> and cook slowly, stirring frequently. Stir in some orange juice and
> grated rind if you want to. Cool and use at will. Remember that it
> will thicken when it cools.

A little brandy or rum helps too. Put it in the standing water.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 07 Jan 2009 04:42:38a, Rhonda Anderson told us...

> Kajikit > wrote in
> :
>
>> Yes. The icing cross I could live with (even though the best part as a
>> kid was ALWAYS pulling the baked cross off and eating it first! lol)
>> but they have no spice in them whatsoever. They were so disappointing
>> that I've never felt any desire to have them again... there are a few
>> specialty bakeries around but I've never looked for hot cross buns
>> there. I'll have to have a hunt around Easter time and see what I can
>> dig up.

> Can't imagine a hot cross bun without spice. You know, Bakers Delight

here
> sells choc chip hot cross buns - that just seems wrong to me, but a lot

of
> people buy them.

Chocolate chips *is* wrong! I like chocolate chips, but damn, they seem to
be putting them into everything now.

In a hot cross bun I like the spice, the raisins or sultanas, and the
citrus peel. I actually prefer the cross to be made of white icing.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/07(VII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 4dys 15hrs 48mins
A good slogan beats a good solution.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
5.250:

> On Wed 07 Jan 2009 04:42:38a, Rhonda Anderson told us...
>

>> Can't imagine a hot cross bun without spice. You know, Bakers Delight

> here
>> sells choc chip hot cross buns - that just seems wrong to me, but a
>> lot

> of
>> people buy them.
>>

> Chocolate chips *is* wrong! I like chocolate chips, but damn, they
> seem to be putting them into everything now.
>
> In a hot cross bun I like the spice, the raisins or sultanas, and the
> citrus peel. I actually prefer the cross to be made of white icing.

They're aimed at kids mostly, I think. A lot of kids apparently dislike the
fruit/peel in hot cross buns. The same bakery franchise has fruitless hot
cross buns (they have the spice, just no fruit) for those who dislike dried
fruit, and I think their normal hot cross buns have no peel - a surprising
number of people dislike the candied citrus peel.

Since Bakers Delight came out with the choc chip ones a few years ago,
various supermarket chains have come up with their own. They must be
selling.

I don't remember ever disliking traditional hot cross buns - just remember
always having had them at Easter.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson > wrote in
. 5:

> They're aimed at kids mostly, I think. A lot of kids apparently
> dislike the fruit/peel in hot cross buns. The same bakery franchise
> has fruitless hot cross buns (they have the spice, just no fruit) for
> those who dislike dried fruit, and I think their normal hot cross buns
> have no peel - a surprising number of people dislike the candied
> citrus peel.
>
> Since Bakers Delight came out with the choc chip ones a few years ago,
> various supermarket chains have come up with their own. They must be
> selling.
>
> I don't remember ever disliking traditional hot cross buns - just
> remember always having had them at Easter.

I *never*, *never* buy choc chip hot cross buns. They are an
abomination!!

I do however, have a very soft spot for nice fresh, spicy smelling hot
cross buns with extra fruit and peel in them :-)

I *always* look forward to Jan 1, when the Easter buns come on the
shelves!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing.

Edmund Burke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 9, 1:12*am, Peter Lucas > wrote:
> Rhonda Anderson > wrote 1.5:
>

> > They're aimed at kids mostly, I think. A lot of kids apparently
> > dislike the fruit/peel in hot cross buns. The same bakery franchise
> > has fruitless hot cross buns (they have the spice, just no fruit) for
> > those who dislike dried fruit, and I think their normal hot cross buns
> > have no peel - a surprising number of people dislike the candied
> > citrus peel.

> > Since Bakers Delight came out with the choc chip ones a few years ago,
> > various supermarket chains have come up with their own. They must be
> > selling.

> > I don't remember ever disliking traditional hot cross buns - just
> > remember always having had them at Easter.

> I *never*, *never* buy choc chip hot cross buns. They are an
> abomination!!
>
> I do however, have a very soft spot for nice fresh, spicy smelling hot
> cross buns with extra fruit and peel in them :-)
>
> I *always* look forward to Jan 1, when the Easter buns come on the
> shelves!!

Your pension pay day today Pete.
Been down to the RSL shouting the bar & telling tall stories again
have you? You old alkie!