Dimitri

Default Is bread pudding hard to make?

"BabyJane Hudson" > wrote in message
> I had some kind of desert, in a restaurant, the other day. It was
> served warm, with some kind of white icing on it, similar to what you
> would find atop a cinnamon roll. I was told it was bread pudding. Does
> that sound right and if so, is it hard to make? Sure tasted good!
>
> Thanks,
> BabyJane Hudson

There are about a gazillion variations but this is a good starting point:

Dimitri

1 loaf French bread
1 qt. milk
3 eggs
2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. butter/oleo
1 c. raisins

Soak bread in milk; crush bread with hands until well mixed. Add eggs,
sugar, vanilla and raisins and stir well. Put oleo in bottom of a large,
thick pan or cookie sheet. Add mixture. Bake 325 degrees until top is very
firm. Cool and cut into cubes. Serve with sauce heated. --

WHISKEY SAUCE:--

1 stick oleo
1 c. sugar
1 egg

Cook sugar and butter in a double boiler until very hot and well dissolved.
Add beaten egg and whip real fast to keep egg from curdling. Let cool and
add whiskey to taste.

kalanamak

Dimitri wrote:

> "BabyJane Hudson" > wrote in message
> > I had some kind of desert, in a restaurant, the other day. It was
> > served warm, with some kind of white icing on it, similar to what you
> > would find atop a cinnamon roll. I was told it was bread pudding. Does
> > that sound right and if so, is it hard to make? Sure tasted good!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > BabyJane Hudson

> There are about a gazillion variations but this is a good starting point:
>
> Dimitri
>
> 1 loaf French bread
> 1 qt. milk
> 3 eggs
> 2 c. sugar
> 2 tbsp. vanilla
> 2 tbsp. butter/oleo
> 1 c. raisins
>
> Soak bread in milk; crush bread with hands until well mixed. Add eggs,
> sugar, vanilla and raisins and stir well. Put oleo in bottom of a large,
> thick pan or cookie sheet. Add mixture. Bake 325 degrees until top is very
> firm. Cool and cut into cubes. Serve with sauce heated. --
>
> WHISKEY SAUCE:--
>
> 1 stick oleo
> 1 c. sugar
> 1 egg
>
> Cook sugar and butter in a double boiler until very hot and well dissolved.
> Add beaten egg and whip real fast to keep egg from curdling. Let cool and
> add whiskey to taste.

The ex used to make this:
Bread Pudding
Lasagna: instead of shreds or chunks of bread, he soaked full de-crusted
slices in egg/milk/spice, and placed in a buttered baker with layers
between: cherry jam on one, honey peanut butter on another, walnut and
coconut and brown sugar on another. I bet kids would have a good time
picking the layers.
blacksalt

Dave Smith

BabyJane Hudson wrote:

> I had some kind of desert, in a restaurant, the other day. It was
> served warm, with some kind of white icing on it, similar to what you
> would find atop a cinnamon roll. I was told it was bread pudding. Does
> that sound right and if so, is it hard to make? Sure tasted good!

Bread pudding is one of the great comfort foods. There are probably as
many recipes for it as there are people enjoying it. The basic idea is a=

sweet custard of milk, eggs and sugar with bread to give it some
substance, some kind of flavouring and the option of a sauce. Some
recipes say to use French bread, others use plain old white bread. Some
same to cube the bread and others want it mush up in the custard mixture.=

My mother used to make it by laying the bread around the edges of a
souffl=E9 dish and then pouring the mixture over top of it and baking it.=
My
mother in law used to use a similar method, but she always had a whiskey
or rum flavoured sauce to pour over it.

dogsnus

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> BabyJane Hudson wrote:
>
>> I had some kind of desert, in a restaurant, the other day. It was
>> served warm, with some kind of white icing on it, similar to what you
>> would find atop a cinnamon roll. I was told it was bread pudding. Does
>> that sound right and if so, is it hard to make? Sure tasted good!
>>

> Bread pudding is one of the great comfort foods. There are probably as
> many recipes for it as there are people enjoying it. The basic idea is a
> sweet custard of milk, eggs and sugar with bread to give it some
> substance, some kind of flavouring and the option of a sauce. Some
> recipes say to use French bread, others use plain old white bread. Some
> same to cube the bread and others want it mush up in the custard mixture.

snip
I like is to use whole milk and to soak
the bread crumbs for several hours in the milk mixture.
I tried it once with 2% milk and it was horrible.
I don't use the rum or bourbon in it like some do, but I do
like to top it off with some meringue.

Terri
DJS0302

>I had some kind of desert, in a restaurant, the other day. It was
>served warm, with some kind of white icing on it, similar to what you
>would find atop a cinnamon roll. I was told it was bread pudding. Does
>that sound right and if so, is it hard to make? Sure tasted good!
>
>Thanks,
>BabyJane Hudson

I've never actually made this one at home but I've eaten it out and it is
excellent. It's from the Oakroom at the Seelbach hotel in Louisville,
Kentucky.

Makes 12 generous portions. Recipe also works well halved or quartered.

7 fresh eggs

1 lb. granulated sugar

1/2 qt. heavy whipping cream

1/2 qt. milk

The equivalent of 6-each of day-old muffins, danish and croissants

Whisk together eggs, milk and cream. Add and whisk in sugar. Crumble pastries
into a buttered baking dish and pour above mixture over them. Stir together
thoroughly.

Bake at 350º for 20-30 minutes, until moist in the middle and golden brown on
top; but not liquidy. Poke down in center of pudding to make sure that liquid
mixture has solidified.

Woodford Reserve Bourbon Crème Anglaise

1/2 to 3/4 cups Woodford Reserve Bourbon to taste

3/4 to 1 qt. heavy whipping cream

12 oz. granulated sugar

Heat above mixture to a boil and thicken with a Slurry (pasty mixture) of 2
Tbs. corn starch and 2 Tbs. water. Simmer and stir until whisk leaves marks in
the sauce.

Pour over bread pudding and sprinkle with cinnamon. Serve warm.