Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default an unusual cookie

They are called Shebakia or fried honey cakes. Moroccans eat them
during Ramadan. They are a pain in the neck to make too.

Here are the ingredients.

http://i44.tinypic.com/34fe6v8.jpg

There's flour, butter, egg, fennel, sesame seeds and orange blossom
water, among other things.

Basically you dump all the ingredients into a mixer until you get a nice
dough.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2lvy9tx.jpg

You then roll the dough out and cut with either a cookie cutter your
mother in law gave you or you use a pasta cutter.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2cpqkyd.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/nzrvax.jpg

Shaping them is very hard to describe.

http://i43.tinypic.com/34i249w.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/aw2jok.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/25q8b6a.jpg

Here's a platter full ready for frying.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2l9pf92.jpg

The next step is frying them. They then get dunked in warm honey and
sprinkled with sesame seeds

http://i39.tinypic.com/21l7ckz.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/v2sbbo.jpg

And the finished product.

http://i40.tinypic.com/99o08g.jpg

The DH says they are "not bad". They are not perfect I will agree. When
you bite into one there should be honey oozing out. Mine are a little
biscuity. Taste good though.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> They are called Shebakia or fried honey cakes. Moroccans eat them
> during Ramadan. They are a pain in the neck to make too.
>
> Here are the ingredients.
>
> http://i44.tinypic.com/34fe6v8.jpg
>
> There's flour, butter, egg, fennel, sesame seeds and orange blossom
> water, among other things.
>
> Basically you dump all the ingredients into a mixer until you get a nice
> dough.
>
> http://i41.tinypic.com/2lvy9tx.jpg
>
> You then roll the dough out and cut with either a cookie cutter your
> mother in law gave you or you use a pasta cutter.
>
> http://i40.tinypic.com/2cpqkyd.jpg
>
> http://i40.tinypic.com/nzrvax.jpg
>
> Shaping them is very hard to describe.
>
> http://i43.tinypic.com/34i249w.jpg
> http://i44.tinypic.com/aw2jok.jpg
> http://i40.tinypic.com/25q8b6a.jpg
>
> Here's a platter full ready for frying.
>
> http://i41.tinypic.com/2l9pf92.jpg
>
> The next step is frying them. They then get dunked in warm honey and
> sprinkled with sesame seeds
>
> http://i39.tinypic.com/21l7ckz.jpg
> http://i39.tinypic.com/v2sbbo.jpg
>
> And the finished product.
>
> http://i40.tinypic.com/99o08g.jpg
>
> The DH says they are "not bad". They are not perfect I will agree. When
> you bite into one there should be honey oozing out. Mine are a little
> biscuity. Taste good though.
>
> -Tracy

Looks good! You went through a lot of work to make those, and your
photos turned out very well.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote:

> http://i40.tinypic.com/99o08g.jpg
>
> The DH says they are "not bad". They are not perfect I will agree. When
> you bite into one there should be honey oozing out. Mine are a little
> biscuity. Taste good though.

They look delicious to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:04:42 -0500, Tracy > wrote:

>They are called Shebakia or fried honey cakes. Moroccans eat them
>during Ramadan. They are a pain in the neck to make too.
>
>Here are the ingredients.
>
>http://i44.tinypic.com/34fe6v8.jpg

snippage

Wow, they look great to me. Thank you so much for the step by step and
great photos.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/30
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message

> They are called Shebakia or fried honey cakes. Moroccans eat them during
> Ramadan. They are a pain in the neck to make too.

<snip>

> And the finished product.
>
> http://i40.tinypic.com/99o08g.jpg

Thanks for the pics! Other than the prep, the finished product reminds me
of Funnel Cake that we get at the shore and fairs. Good job!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Tracy wrote:
>> They are called Shebakia or fried honey cakes. Moroccans eat them
>> during Ramadan. They are a pain in the neck to make too.
>>

>> And the finished product.
>>
>> http://i40.tinypic.com/99o08g.jpg
>>

> Looks good! You went through a lot of work to make those, and your
> photos turned out very well.
>
> Becca

Yes, they are a lot of work. Moroccans usually make way more than I
attempted.

My house smells like fennel now. ;-)

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Tracy" > wrote:
>> http://i40.tinypic.com/99o08g.jpg
>>
>> The DH says they are "not bad". They are not perfect I will agree. When
>> you bite into one there should be honey oozing out. Mine are a little
>> biscuity. Taste good though.
>>

> They look delicious to me.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:04:42 -0500, Tracy > wrote:
>
>> They are called Shebakia or fried honey cakes. Moroccans eat them
>> during Ramadan. They are a pain in the neck to make too.
>>
>> Here are the ingredients.
>>
>> http://i44.tinypic.com/34fe6v8.jpg
>>

> snippage
>
> Wow, they look great to me. Thank you so much for the step by step and
> great photos.
>
> koko

Coming from you, that is a high compliment.

Like I said, they did not come out exactly as they should, but they do
taste good.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> "Tracy" > wrote in message
>
>> They are called Shebakia or fried honey cakes. Moroccans eat them
>> during Ramadan. They are a pain in the neck to make too.
>>

> <snip>
>
>> And the finished product.
>>
>> http://i40.tinypic.com/99o08g.jpg
>>

> Thanks for the pics! Other than the prep, the finished product reminds
> me of Funnel Cake that we get at the shore and fairs. Good job!

Thanks, but they are not really like funnel cakes. They are supposed to
be almost hollow - with the honey oozing out. These- not so much.

Funny thing though - my sil made these recently - which made me want to
try them again - and she was telling me of another type of cookie
similar to these called zlabia. They taste like crunchy honey and you
can find them on this site. It's French - but you get the idea.

http://tinyurl.com/7b6eo2

They are made sort of like how funnel cakes are made - with a dispenser
thingy dropping the batter into hot oil. I think they also get a sugar
syrup bath.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> Thanks, but they are not really like funnel cakes. They are supposed to
> be almost hollow - with the honey oozing out. These- not so much.
>
> Funny thing though - my sil made these recently - which made me want to
> try them again - and she was telling me of another type of cookie
> similar to these called zlabia. They taste like crunchy honey and you
> can find them on this site. It's French - but you get the idea.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7b6eo2
>
> They are made sort of like how funnel cakes are made - with a dispenser
> thingy dropping the batter into hot oil. I think they also get a sugar
> syrup bath.
>
> -Tracy

OMG, I gained weight just looking at those pics. Looks delicious!

Becca