Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Christmas Dinner

Would anyone like to share any meal/ info, they have cooked for
Christmas day or Christmas eve dinner?

In the past I have done a blend. One day prime rib/yorkshire pudding -
english sort of theme.

German kind of theme for the other, usually a stuffed pork roast and
sauer kraut even though I know thats not exactly traditional German
fare. Never have had much luck with the dumplings, usually end buying
store bought and throwing mine out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 13:10:40 -0800 (PST), deutschemadchen
> wrote:

>Would anyone like to share any meal/ info, they have cooked for
>Christmas day or Christmas eve dinner?

That all sounds just wonderful!! Don't you love having the family
around the dining room table at holidays? We sure do.

Here is our menu!!

http://i39.tinypic.com/s2ebth.jpg

Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"deutschemadchen" > wrote in message
> Would anyone like to share any meal/ info, they have cooked for
> Christmas day or Christmas eve dinner?
>
> In the past I have done a blend. One day prime rib/yorkshire pudding -
> english sort of theme.
>
> German kind of theme for the other, usually a stuffed pork roast and
> sauer kraut even though I know thats not exactly traditional German
> fare. Never have had much luck with the dumplings, usually end buying
> store bought and throwing mine out.

Prime rib with yorkshire puddings and roasted brussels sprouts have always
been my favorite. Tiramisu for dessert. Then a fine cognac.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul

I didn't know if you were kidding about the brussel sprouts, I never
heard of that before. I looked them up and it sounds good.

If they have a safeway by you, they should have a cognac called Navan,
its pretty good. A little different in that it has some kind of
vanilla bean from madagascar fused in it, I think it from gran marnier
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"deutschemadchen" > wrote in message
> Paul
>
> I didn't know if you were kidding about the brussel sprouts, I never
> heard of that before. I looked them up and it sounds good.

You don't get out much but we can fix that. Roasted brussels sprouts have
been around a long time. Very traditional English dish served with a roast
aka joint. I cook them with garlic, sea salt and rosemary. Best way to eat
a brussels sprout I think.

> If they have a safeway by you, they should have a cognac called Navan,
> its pretty good. A little different in that it has some kind of
> vanilla bean from madagascar fused in it, I think it from gran marnier

Might look it up. My favorite is Pierre Ferrand Amber 20 year old. It's
expensive but so worth it. I buy one bottle a year at this time.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Paul

Looked up the pierre ferrand, looks good. Hope its a great meal.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

For Thanksgiving, Mr. Bill had:

> Butternut Squash Soup
> Roast Turkey
> 2007 Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc
> Cranberry Slaw
> Maple & Tarragon Sweet Potatoes
> Corn Soufflé
> Mashed Potatoes
> Roasted Vegetables with Pine Nut Pesto
> Old Fashioned Potato Bread Stuffing
> Pumpkin Roll
> Pecan Pie

Now for Christmas, Mr. Bill declares he's going to have:

> Butternut Squash Soup
> Roast Turkey
> Sutter Home Chenin Blanc
> Cranberry Slaw
> Maple & Tarragon Sweet Potatoes
> Corn Soufflé
> Mashed Potatoes
> Roasted Vegetables with Pine Nut Pesto
> Old Fashioned Potato Bread Stuffing
> Pumpkin Roll
> Pecan Pie

I like a bit more variety than that.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 23:42:35 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>For Thanksgiving, Mr. Bill had:
>
>> 2007 Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc

>Now for Christmas, Mr. Bill declares he's going to have:
>
>> Sutter Home Chenin Blanc

>I like a bit more variety than that.

What's the problem?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 20, 4:10*pm, deutschemadchen >
wrote:
> Would anyone like to share any meal/ info, they have cooked for
> Christmas day or Christmas eve dinner?

This Canuck is going to roast a turkey breast, make gravy and two
dressings (one bread and sage, one barley and mushroom), cranberry
relish, sweet potatoes in jackets, whipped golden potatoes, big
parsnips. quartered, mashed carrots, and a cabbage salad with grated
green apples and celery root. Carrot pudding and hard sauce to follow.

Christmas Eve is tourtiere. Mmmmmmmm. I have nothing to do with its
production.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 23:42:35 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>I like a bit more variety than that.
>
>Bob

In our part of the country, we have two sides to every family. One
family was here for Thanksgiving and the other side will be here for
Christmas. Just works that way in our family.

I will be sure that next year will be a variation on a proven theme.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Toronto -brian,

Quite a feast.

We were just talking about chicken pot pie the other day. This one you
mentioned here looks like it dwrafs the chicken pot pie, will check
into that.

C,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob T,

You might have to start cooking today!. wow, sounds good.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 01:57:10 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>>Now for Christmas, Mr. Bill declares he's going to have:
>>
>>> Sutter Home Chenin Blanc

>>I like a bit more variety than that.

>What's the problem?

Carol....at our home we check pretension at the front door. There is
just no room in our home for pretensious guests.

Sutter Home consistantly provided a great table wine. Now, I am not
saying we haven't had a few bottles of Chateau Lafite-Rothschild at
our table, but for large gatherings, that is out of the budget.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 23:42:35 -0800, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> For Thanksgiving, Mr. Bill had:
>
>> Butternut Squash Soup
>> Roast Turkey
>> 2007 Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc
>> Cranberry Slaw
>> Maple & Tarragon Sweet Potatoes
>> Corn Soufflé
>> Mashed Potatoes
>> Roasted Vegetables with Pine Nut Pesto
>> Old Fashioned Potato Bread Stuffing
>> Pumpkin Roll
>> Pecan Pie

> Now for Christmas, Mr. Bill declares he's going to have:
>
>> Butternut Squash Soup
>> Roast Turkey
>> Sutter Home Chenin Blanc
>> Cranberry Slaw
>> Maple & Tarragon Sweet Potatoes
>> Corn Soufflé
>> Mashed Potatoes
>> Roasted Vegetables with Pine Nut Pesto
>> Old Fashioned Potato Bread Stuffing
>> Pumpkin Roll
>> Pecan Pie

> I like a bit more variety than that.
>
> Bob

well, thanksgiving was a whole month ago.

is there a holiday towards the end of january?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr. Bill > wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 01:57:10 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
> >>Now for Christmas, Mr. Bill declares he's going to have:

> >>I like a bit more variety than that.

> >What's the problem?

> Carol....at our home we check pretension at the front door. There is
> just no room in our home for pretensious guests.
>
> Sutter Home consistantly provided a great table wine. Now, I am not
> saying we haven't had a few bottles of Chateau Lafite-Rothschild at
> our table, but for large gatherings, that is out of the budget.

IMHO Sutter Home is a really decent tasting wine. I have yet to get
anything unpleasant from them.

It's been my direct experience (to date) that the more expensive the
wine, the worse it tastes.

I don't get it. (obviously!)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 23:42:35 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>>For Thanksgiving, Mr. Bill had:
>>
>>> 2007 Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc

>>Now for Christmas, Mr. Bill declares he's going to have:
>>
>>> Sutter Home Chenin Blanc

>>I like a bit more variety than that.

> What's the problem?

Wait a second, isn't Robert Terwilliger the real name of the
murderous "Sideshow Bob" on the Simpsons? I'm just now realizing
the correlation after all these years.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill > wrote:

I think some of these messages are getting co-mingled.

That was someone else that had a comment about the wine choice.

I never take the time to say something negative about someones choices
or opinions on most matters espeically food.

There are too many people that find it easy and necessary to say
negative things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> For Thanksgiving, Mr. Bill had:
>
>> Butternut Squash Soup
>> Roast Turkey
>> 2007 Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc
>> Cranberry Slaw
>> Maple & Tarragon Sweet Potatoes
>> Corn Soufflé
>> Mashed Potatoes
>> Roasted Vegetables with Pine Nut Pesto
>> Old Fashioned Potato Bread Stuffing
>> Pumpkin Roll
>> Pecan Pie

> Now for Christmas, Mr. Bill declares he's going to have:
>
>> Butternut Squash Soup
>> Roast Turkey
>> Sutter Home Chenin Blanc
>> Cranberry Slaw
>> Maple & Tarragon Sweet Potatoes
>> Corn Soufflé
>> Mashed Potatoes
>> Roasted Vegetables with Pine Nut Pesto
>> Old Fashioned Potato Bread Stuffing
>> Pumpkin Roll
>> Pecan Pie

> I like a bit more variety than that.

Good catch.

He's obviously just taking these menus off the net somewhere
forgetting what he told us he was having for dinner last month.

Nobody has the *exact* same menu (except for the wine) they did for
two holidays less than a month apart.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" > wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 01:57:10 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
>>>Now for Christmas, Mr. Bill declares he's going to have:

>>>I like a bit more variety than that.

>>What's the problem?

> Carol....at our home we check pretension at the front door. There is
> just no room in our home for pretensious guests.

How embarrassing serving your guests the exact same thing you served
them less than a month ago.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill > wrote:

Here, I think this is the person that had your wine comment, its an
email address created called carol-56. Like I said, I don't take the
time to cirticize food choices.

On the contrary I appreciate people being kind enough to voice and
share their chocies.

So this is from that message you responded to:
> wrote:
> >>Now for Christmas, Mr. Bill declares he's going to have:
>>> Sutter Home Chenin Blanc
> >>I like a bit more variety than that.

> >What's the problem?

Here another person named Carol from carol 56 inputing on my posts
signing as carol could get confusing.

so I will start signing
carol deutsche madchen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 20 Dec 2008 02:10:40p, deutschemadchen told us...

> Would anyone like to share any meal/ info, they have cooked for
> Christmas day or Christmas eve dinner?
>
> In the past I have done a blend. One day prime rib/yorkshire pudding -
> english sort of theme.
>
> German kind of theme for the other, usually a stuffed pork roast and
> sauer kraut even though I know thats not exactly traditional German
> fare. Never have had much luck with the dumplings, usually end buying
> store bought and throwing mine out.

Funny you should ask, as we are having a a traditional German meal on
Christmas Day. Our meat will be Sauerbraten, and I began marinating the
roast this past Friday. Along with that we will have the following...

Spätzle
Braised Red Cabbage
Fresh Green Beans with Crisp Bacon and Fresh Dill
Cucumbers and Onions in Sour Cream
Schwaldwälder Kirschtorte

New Year's Day will bring the Sauerkraut and Pork.

On both Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve we usually just nibble on a wide
assortment of appetizers.

Plebe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 08:50:42 -0800 (PST), deutschemadchen
> wrote:

>I think some of these messages are getting co-mingled.
>
>That was someone else that had a comment about the wine choice.

I had NO WAY of knowing your first name....so I guess I was replying
to someone else. Don't flatter yourself that everyone here will be
replying DIRECTLY TO YOU!

Next thing....you better grow some thick skin real quick. Things can
get ugly here on rec.food.cooking

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Plebe,

Your meal plan sounds great. We are getting a little behind on
christmas. We are going to do only some ideas. So we are probably
going to do some of the ideas, like a duck and roasted potatoes with
the sea salt, some peas except a mixed pea mix. We are going to try
the roasted brussle sprouts also with the sea salt. And a couple of
other ideas from helpful comments.

I was going to give a shot to pork and sauerkraut for new years
myself. Would you mind, do you have any receipies for your meal plan
you felt like sharing? you can post here are email me at

Do you have any background or tried in cooking the potato dumplings?

Carol deutschemadchen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chill Bill,
Merry Christmas,

carol deutschemadchen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Plebe

Actually to amend my other reply. Any and all recipies and tips for
the german meal plan are appreciated.

But last year I found the potato dumplings did not turn out.

The stuffed pork loin and sauerkraut were very good, wunderbar
actually, aber,,,,,

They were really overwhelming to make. It took a lot more time and
ingredients then I had anticipated initially. So any particular hints
or recipies on those 3 items would be appreciated also.

carol deutschemadchen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 21, 11:52*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> "Mr. Bill" > wrote:

> >>What's the problem?

> > Carol....at our home we check pretension at the front door. * There is
> > just no room in our home for pretensious guests.

> How embarrassing serving your guests the exact same thing you served
> them less than a month ago.
>
> -sw

Hey - maybe he's making frugal use of the T-giving leftovers and /or
changing the guest list. Hell, I'd be happy to be invited no matter
the menu, if someone else is doing the work. I'd go to a turkey feast
every month for the entire YEAR.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:

> As I stated earlier.....where I am from, we have two sides to our
> family. Yes, the tree did fork! <vbg>
>
> We have well established traditions that go back to the fifties. One
> side of our family comes for Thanksgiving. Then we share with
> others in the "tree". The other side of the family comes for
> Christmas and we alternate that every year.

Congratulations. You have a system that seems to work. My wife would
have loved to have her family for Thanksgiving or Christmas, but it
would be easier to heard cats than to get them all to agree on a date
and time. It was much easier to do it at my parents. For the last 10-15
years my parents were around we usually had them her for Easter and
Thanksgiving. Christmas was almost always at their place. My mother in
law did manage to get her family together for one Christmas. They took
us out to a nice restaurant. The only other time we did it with the
in-laws was the year that my MiL died and the family felt a need to be
together.

Now that my parents are gone it is between my brothers and I. I had one
brother and his family here two years ago. Last year we went to another
brother's house, and this year my other brother brother and his family
are coming here.

> Many feasts and
> dishes have become tradition and they will always be present at our
> home. As many families share Roast Turkey as a Thanksgiving and
> Christmas dish. we do also. All the "side" dishes are demanded and
> expected.

Yep.... turkey with stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce
and a carrot Christmas pudding with caramel sauce are expected.

> We always change the wine and many family members>
> suggest their "table wine" favorites with the hints of "Food & Wine".
> They have very good suggestions for all meals.

They suggest the wines that you provide?????/ They don't bring the
wines they like?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 21 Dec 2008 11:09:00a, deutschemadchen told us...

> Plebe
>
> Actually to amend my other reply. Any and all recipies and tips for
> the german meal plan are appreciated.
>
> But last year I found the potato dumplings did not turn out.
>
> The stuffed pork loin and sauerkraut were very good, wunderbar
> actually, aber,,,,,
>
> They were really overwhelming to make. It took a lot more time and
> ingredients then I had anticipated initially. So any particular hints
> or recipies on those 3 items would be appreciated also.
>
> carol deutschemadchen

First, let me say that I have never made potato dumplings, so I can offer no
recipes for those.

Second, let me say that there are coutless variations on all of the following
recipes. These are the recipes I'm using this year.

SAUERBRATEN

Marinade:
1 Cup dry red wine
1 Cup red wine vinegar
2 Cups cold water
1 Cup dark brown sugar
1 Medium onion, thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
1 Tablespoon juniper berries, coarsely crushed
2 Teaspoons mustard seed, bruised
2 Teaspoons allspice berries, coarsely crushed
2 Sticks cinnamon, broken
2 Teaspoons dill seed, bruised
1 Teaspoon whole cloves
1 1-inch piece gingeroot
3 Star anise
2 Teaspoon coriander seed, coarsely crushed
2 Blades of mace
1 Teaspoons cardamom seeds, bruised
2 bay leaves
1 Teaspoon salt
4 Pounds boneless beef roast, preferably bottom round

Roasting/Sauce Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons bacon fat
2 1/2 Cups onions, diced
2 1/2 Cups carrots, diced
1 1/4 Cups celery, diced
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 Cup water
3/4 Cup gingersnap cookies, crumbled

Preparation:
Combine all marinade ingredients, except the roast itself, in 2-3 quart
saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool
to room temperature.

Place the beef in a deep, non-reactive (glass or ceramic) bowl or pot just
large enough to hold it. Pour marinade over beef. The marinade should be
at least halfway up the sides of the roast. If necessary add more wine.
Cover tightly with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 5-7 days,
turning the meat in the marinade at least twice each day.

Remove meat from marinade and pat completely dry with paper towels. Strain
the marinade through a fine sieve and reserve the liquid. Discard spices
and onions.

In heavy, 5-quart dutch oven, heat the butter until bubbling stops. Add
the meat and brown on all sides, turning frequently, so that it browns
evenly without burning. Transfer to platter and set aside.

For roasting, add the onions, carrots, and celery to the same pan you
cooked the meat in. Cook over moderate heat until soft and light brown
(5-8 minutes). Sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of flour over the vegetables and
cook, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes longer or until the flour begins to
color. Pour in 2 cups of the reserved marinade and 1/2 cup of water and
bring to boil over high heat. Return the meat to the pot, cover tightly,
and simmer over low heat for 2 hours, or until the meat shows no
resistance when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Alternatively, bake
in 350 degree oven for 2 hours.

Transfer the roast to a heated platter and cover with foil to keep warm
while sauce is made.

Pour the liquid left in the pot into a large measuring cup and skim fat
from surface. You will need at least 2 1/2 cups for the sauce. If
additional liquid is needed, add some of the reserved marinade.

Combine the liquid and the gingersnap crumbs in a saucepan and cook over
moderate heat, stirring frequently for approx. 10 minutes, allowing the
cookie crumbs to dissolve completely and thicken the sauce to the desired
consistency. Depending upon the amount of liquid, you may need to add
additional cookie crumbs.

Strain the sauce through a fine sieve, pressing down hard with wooden
spoon to force as much of the vegetables and crumbs through as possible.
Return the sauce to the pan, adjust seasoning and allow to simmer over low
heat until ready to serve.

Slice the roast, pour some sauce over slices on platter and pass remaining
sauce separately.

SPÄTZLE

2 eggs
1-1/2 Cupsflour
1/2 Cup water
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Teaspoon baking powder

Beat these ingredients well. Drop small bits of the batter from a spoon
into simmering salted water or stock, or put the batter through a colander
or a sliding cutter. Spätzle should be light and delicate. Try out a
sample and if it is too heavy, add water to the batter. Simmer them until
they are done and float to the top. Drain them, place them in a dish and
toss with browned butter or browned bread crumbs.

BRAISED RED CABBAGE

2 Tablespoons bacon grease or butter
2 Amall heads red cabbage, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
1 Large tart apple, such as Granny Smith, cored and cut into 8 pieces
1 Large onion, peeled, halved and sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 Cup dry red wine
1/4 Cup red wine vinegar
1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon ground cloves
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 Cups water
2 Tablespoons butter (optional)

Heat a large sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the bacon
grease and heat. Add the cabbage, onions and apples and stir to coat. Add the
remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat
to medium-low and simmer, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 40 minutes.
(If there is too much liquid, remove the lid and allow some to evaporate. The
cabbage should be very moist, but not soupy.) Serve immediately or keep warm
over low heat. This also reheats very well.

2 Cucumbers
1 Cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
4 Tablespoons snipped fresh chives
2 Tablespoonns snipped fresh dill
2 Teaspoons salt
Pepper to taste

If the cucumbers have been waxed, peel them; otherwise, wash them well but
leave the peel on. Slice the cucumbers very thin and pat them dry with paper
towels. Mix together the remaining ingredients, adding vinegar to taste.
Stir in cucumbers. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before
refrigerating. NOTE: This is a VERY important step. Serve well-chilled.

Enjoy!

Plebe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
>> On Dec 21, 11:52 am, Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> How embarrassing serving your guests the exact same thing you served
>>> them less than a month ago.

> LOL, I've been serving the same thing for Christmas dinner for 40
> years but the same people still keep coming to eat it.
>
> When our children still lived at home we used to have the very same
> meal every Easter, too .

Our Easter meals are even more standardized that Christmas. We have leg
of lamb, new potatoes and asparagus. At Christmas we do the stuffed
turkey thing, but the vegetables can vary :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough > wrote:

>> On Dec 21, 11:52*am, Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> How embarrassing serving your guests the exact same thing you served
>>> them less than a month ago.

> LOL, I've been serving the same thing for Christmas dinner for 40
> years but the same people still keep coming to eat it.

But do you also serve it for Thanksgiving, less than 4 weeks prior?

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

> Wait a second, isn't Robert Terwilliger the real name of the
> murderous "Sideshow Bob" on the Simpsons? I'm just now realizing
> the correlation after all these years.

Yessssss.....

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote about Mr. Bill:

> He's obviously just taking these menus off the net somewhere
> forgetting what he told us he was having for dinner last month.
>
> Nobody has the *exact* same menu (except for the wine) they did for
> two holidays less than a month apart.

I don't know about THAT. I wasn't trying to cast doubt on Mr. Bill's claim
that he is making the same thing for Christmas that he made for
Thanksgiving; I consider it entirely within the realm of possibility that he
is. Rather, I was expressing sympathy for those who had to eat it again.

I mean, no matter how good a particular meal is, it palls after too many
repetitions.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:

> As I stated earlier.....where I am from, we have two sides to our
> family. Yes, the tree did fork! <vbg>
>
> We have well established traditions that go back to the fifties. One
> side of our family comes for Thanksgiving. Then we share with
> others in the "tree". The other side of the family comes for
> Christmas and we alternate that every year.

I'm not quite certain what you mean by "one side" and "the other side." Are
you referring to your blood relatives and your wife's blood relatives as the
two sides of the family? If that's the case, then both you and your wife --
and any kids of yours -- would be eating the same meal twice.

Regardless, if you're content with serving the same meal both times, and
your guests are -- as you say -- not only content with the meal but
demanding that you make it, then by all means, carry on. It's just not for
*me*. As I wrote earlier, I like more variety than that.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote:

> Yep.... turkey with stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and
> a carrot Christmas pudding with caramel sauce are expected.

I'm intrigued by the "carrot Christmas pudding with caramel sauce." Would
you please post a recipe?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:37:45 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Regardless, if you're content with serving the same meal both times, and
>your guests are -- as you say -- not only content with the meal but
>demanding that you make it, then by all means, carry on. It's just not for
>*me*. As I wrote earlier, I like more variety than that.
>
>Bob

I always like having something different for Christmas, rather than
the same dinner that I had at Thanksgiving.

I grew up with having turkey at both holidays, and the rest of the
dishes were pretty much the same, but with a few differences. Notably,
the dessert was fruitcake, and cookies for Christmas...and if I went
to my grandparents there was also wine jelly.

Now mind you, turkey wasn't as available back then...at least not to
the extent it is now. So it was a special dinner. But now, I really
like something else for Christmas...something a bit festive. A roast
of some sort comes to mind, whether it would be beef, pork or lamb....
Christine, who is working Christmas eve and Christmas night, and
trying to decide what to take to the potluck at work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

deutschemadchen wrote:

> Here, I think this is the person that had your wine comment, its an
> email address created called carol-56. Like I said, I don't take the
> time to cirticize food choices.
>
> On the contrary I appreciate people being kind enough to voice and
> share their chocies.
>
> So this is from that message you responded to:
>> >What's the problem?

> Here another person named Carol from carol 56 inputing on my posts
> signing as carol could get confusing.

You're taking this WAY too seriously. Initially, I transcribed a couple
full-length menus describing what Mr. Bill served for Thanksgiving and what
he intends to serve for Christmas, pointing out that the two meals were
virtually identical. Carol (Damsel in Dis Dress) snipped away all the food
items, leaving the only two things which were *different* in the menu: the
two wines. She was humorously saying that since the wines were different,
the meals were different.

Of course, if the humor has to be EXPLAINED to you, then the joke is lost on
you.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Plebe wrote:

> Funny you should ask, as we are having a a traditional German meal on
> Christmas Day. Our meat will be Sauerbraten, and I began marinating the
> roast this past Friday. Along with that we will have the following...
>
> Spätzle
> Braised Red Cabbage
> Fresh Green Beans with Crisp Bacon and Fresh Dill
> Cucumbers and Onions in Sour Cream
> Schwaldwälder Kirschtorte

Wow, you got me salivating there.

I had sauerbraten and spätzle for Christmas dinner a few years ago. Here's
the entire menu from that meal:

Cream of Chestnut Soup with Arugula

Moosewood "Blue Moon" Salad -- essentially, a Waldorf salad with blue
cheese, walnuts, and pears

Sauerbraten
Spaetzle
Glazed Carrots
Glazed Pearl Onions
Sautéed Cabbage

Mincemeat Pie
Sachertorte

I have to say that your menu sounds more interesting to me at the moment --
probably because I'm not the one cooking it!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 21 Dec 2008 08:52:21p, Bob Terwilliger told us...

> Plebe wrote:
>
>> Funny you should ask, as we are having a a traditional German meal on
>> Christmas Day. Our meat will be Sauerbraten, and I began marinating
>> the roast this past Friday. Along with that we will have the
>> following...
>>
>> Spätzle
>> Braised Red Cabbage
>> Fresh Green Beans with Crisp Bacon and Fresh Dill
>> Cucumbers and Onions in Sour Cream
>> Schwaldwälder Kirschtorte

> Wow, you got me salivating there.
>
> I had sauerbraten and spätzle for Christmas dinner a few years ago.
> Here's the entire menu from that meal:
>
> Cream of Chestnut Soup with Arugula
>
> Moosewood "Blue Moon" Salad -- essentially, a Waldorf salad with blue
> cheese, walnuts, and pears
>
> Sauerbraten
> Spaetzle
> Glazed Carrots
> Glazed Pearl Onions
> Sautéed Cabbage
>
> Mincemeat Pie
> Sachertorte
>

> I have to say that your menu sounds more interesting to me at the moment
> -- probably because I'm not the one cooking it!
>
> Bob

LOL! I could say the same about your menu. It sounds delicious! It's
been years since I've had Chestnut Soup. The Blue Moon salad sounds
delicious, and I absolutely love Mincemeat Pie. I considered baking a
Mincemeat Pie instead of the torte, but I think some of our guests wouldn't
have enjoyed it. I didn't want to do both. I have homemade mincemeat in
the freezer, so will probably bake one for New Year's.

Plebe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> deutschemadchen wrote:

[snipped very confusing account]

> You're taking this WAY too seriously.

> Of course, if the humor has to be EXPLAINED to you, then the joke is lost on
> you.

[...mutter mutter mutter - shoulda posted in German - mutter mutter
mutter...]

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:23:32 -0800, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>> Wait a second, isn't Robert Terwilliger the real name of the murderous
>> "Sideshow Bob" on the Simpsons? I'm just now realizing the correlation
>> after all these years.

> Yessssss.....

I have a vacancy in my rake factory if you need work.
Just let me know and I'll put you in touch with the supervisor concerned.