Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Something simple but delicious for Christmas potluck?

Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
make, and don't cost a fortune?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
news
> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
> all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
> make, and don't cost a fortune?

Saw an idea on tv today. They called them seasoned bread sticks, but they
are more pastry sticks than bread.

Ingredients:

Puff Pastry
Melted Butter
Seasonings of choice

Lay out a sheet of puff pastry. You can roll it if you want to make it
thinner.
Brush pastry liberally with butter.
Sprinkle over any seasoning mixture you like... ie: cinnamon and sugar,
garlic and parmesan cheese, italian seasonings and cheese.. use your
imagination. Only put seasonings on one side.
Slice into strips.
Twist rather severely and lay on a cookie sheet, they will unroll some
during baking.
Bake about 10 - 12 mins at 300-325 or so.

These would be pretty quick and would allow a mix of flavours, as well as
some sweet and some savoury. I use the frozen puff pastry cause I am just
no good at making my own, but feel free to make your own!

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit > wrote in
news
> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
> all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
> make, and don't cost a fortune?

I'm making these on the weekend for our Monday wine and cheese night
dessert.

Mini Black Forest Gteaux

150g dark (70% cocoa) chocolate chopped
3/4cup water (180ml)
150g butter (see note)
1 ¼ cups (275g) firmly packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 cup (150g) self raising flour
2 tablespoons good quality cocoa powder
½ cup (60g) almond meal
¼ cup (60ml) kirsch or cherry liqueur
½ cup (125ml) thickened cream, whipped
32 cherries approx

Ganache

180g dark chocolate, chopped
½ cup (125ml) thickened cream

1. Preheat oven to 160C (140C fan forced). Grease and line the bases
of a 12 hole muffin pan.

2. Melt the chocolate with water in a small saucepan over a low heat;
cool to room temp.

3. Combine butter, sugar, eggs, sifted flour, cocoa powder, and
almond meal with the cooled chocolate mixture in a large bowl with an
electric mixer; beat on low speed until all ingredients have come
together as a smooth batter.

4. Divide the mixture between among the prepared muffin holes. Bake
for 25mins or until the cakes are cooked when tested. Cool completely in
pans. Take care when removing them as they are quite delicate.
Refrigerating the cakes for an hour or so will help to firm them up.

5. GANACHE: meanwhile, combine the chocolate and cream in a small
saucepan, stir over low heat until melted. Let stand for 15 mins or
until the ganache starts to thicken a little.

6. To assemble, split each cake in half. Drizzle the bases with the
booze, then spread with whipped cream. Reserve 12 perfect cherries;
halve the remaining cherries and remove the seeds. Top the cream with
the halved cherries. Pop the tops of the cakes back in place.

7. Spread top of each cake with ganache, then top with the reserved
cherries.

NOTE: Before you use it in this recipe, the texture of the butter should
be 'en pommade', a French term meaning "like face cream".

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:24:27 -0500, Kajikit >
wrote:

>Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday,

Here is the all time potluck dinner recipe!! Pick your choices and
there will be ten thousand variations!

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Invent Your Own Casserole

casserole, main dish

----CHOOSE ONE SAUCE MAKER----
10 1/2 oz cream of mushroom soup
10 1/2 oz cream of celery soup
10 1/2 oz cream of chicken soup
29 oz Italian style diced tomatoes
----CHOOSE ONE FROZEN VEGETABLE----
10 oz spinach, frozen
10 oz broccoli, frozen
10 oz English peas, frozen
16 oz yellow squash, frozen
10 oz corn, frozen
----CHOOSE ONE PASTA/RICE----
2 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 cup rice, uncooked
4 cup egg noodles, uncooked
3 cup shells, uncooked
----CHOOSE ONE MEAT/FISH/POULTRY---
12 oz tuna, drained & flaked
2 cup chicken, cooked & chopped
2 cup ham, cooked & chopped
2 cup turkey, cooked & chopped
1 lb ground beef, brown & drain
----CHOOSE ONE OR MORE EXTRAS----
3 oz mushrooms, drained
1/4 cup black olives, drained
1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup onion, minced
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves
4 1/2 oz green chilies, chopped
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
----CHOOSE ONE OR TWO TOPPINGS----
1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan, grated
1/2 cup Swiss, shredded
1/2 cup bread crumbs, dry

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup milk, 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon salt and
1
teaspoon pepper with Sauce Maker. Omit sour cream and milk when using
tomatoes.

Stir in frozen vegetable, pasta/rice, meat/fish/poultry and if
desired,
extras. Spoon into a lightly greased 13 X 9 baking dish. Sprinkle with
toppings.

Bake casserole, covered for 70 minutes, uncover and bake 10 minutes
more.

Source: St. Michael's Catholic Church, Gainesville, GA via Southern
Living,
11/96

Yield: 6 servings

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not be consistent
with what you know to be true. As with any recipe, you may find your
personal intervention will be necessary. Bon Appétit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 6:24�pm, Kajikit > wrote:
> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
> all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
> make, and don't cost a fortune?

I don't know how many you need feed. But chicken is reasonably
priced. Get a couple of roasters. Quarter them, lay then in a big
pan, season and roast in your oven. Then let cool a bit and remove
the meat fom the bones. In the same roasting pan make up a cream
sauce with onion and celery... use canned creamed soup if you must...
add the chicken pieces, a package of frozen peas and carrots, and top
with a couple tubes of those Dough Boy biscuits and bake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie" > wrote in
:

> "Kajikit" > wrote in message
> news
>> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and
>> I'm all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
>> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
>> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
>> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
>> make, and don't cost a fortune?
>>

> Saw an idea on tv today. They called them seasoned bread sticks, but
> they are more pastry sticks than bread.
>
> Ingredients:
>
> Puff Pastry
> Melted Butter
> Seasonings of choice

LOL!!

The SO and I were talking about Monday nights wine and cheese nite, and
when I was telling her my ideas for snacks/nibbles, she says "Those
cheese twists you made for the last one were *very* good."

My finely tuned intuition kicked in, and the cheese twists will be on
the menu Monday night :-)

I just use a mix of 3 cheeses. Grana Padano, Tasty, and another matured
cheddar.... which I have since run out of, but will substitute something
else.

I used this recipe as a base.......

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=173489

But I use two sheets of pastry, brush one with egg and put cheese mix
on, lay the other on top and place a sheet of baking paper on top of the
lot and lightly press with a rolling pin. Then I brushed the top and
sprinkled with some more cheese, pressed it in and then cut and twist.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Mi b'aill docha basaich air m' ris, sin mair air m'glun.

(I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterL" > wrote in message
.25...
> "Debbie" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Kajikit" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and
>>> I'm all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
>>> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
>>> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
>>> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
>>> make, and don't cost a fortune?
>>>

>> Saw an idea on tv today. They called them seasoned bread sticks, but
>> they are more pastry sticks than bread.
>>
>> Ingredients:
>>
>> Puff Pastry
>> Melted Butter
>> Seasonings of choice
>>

> LOL!!
>
> The SO and I were talking about Monday nights wine and cheese nite, and
> when I was telling her my ideas for snacks/nibbles, she says "Those
> cheese twists you made for the last one were *very* good."
>

> My finely tuned intuition kicked in, and the cheese twists will be on
> the menu Monday night :-)
>

> I just use a mix of 3 cheeses. Grana Padano, Tasty, and another matured
> cheddar.... which I have since run out of, but will substitute something
> else.
>
> I used this recipe as a base.......
>
> http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=173489
>
> But I use two sheets of pastry, brush one with egg and put cheese mix
> on, lay the other on top and place a sheet of baking paper on top of the
> lot and lightly press with a rolling pin. Then I brushed the top and
> sprinkled with some more cheese, pressed it in and then cut and twist.

Either way they fulfill Kat's criteria. They are a little more expensive
made with cheese. They would make do for any budget however.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
> all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
> make, and don't cost a fortune?

Grape jelly meatballs?
Or for something that doesn't need to be kept warm - tortilla pinwheels.
You could make them even more Christmasy by using red and green tortillas.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
> all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
> make, and don't cost a fortune?

You didn't say healthy, right? This meets the delicious criterion.

In a 9x13 pan spread a bag of frozen hash browns or potatoes O'Brien
or grate your own if desired.

Mix together until smooth (all measurements approximate)
2 cups medium white sauce, salt & pepper to taste
1-2 Tbsp. grated onion
8 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
1 cup shredded mild cheddar or jack cheese
(optional--peas, asparagus tips, cubed chicken, ham, etc.)

Pour over potatoes, top with more cheese or buttered bread crumbs or
cracker crumbs. Bake @ 350 deg. F until brown and bubbly.

Note: original recipe called for canned cream of mushroom and cream of
chicken soups, but making your own bechamel/white sauce is much tastier.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 6:24*pm, Kajikit > wrote:
> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
> all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
> make, and don't cost a fortune?

I took Texas Caviar to the potluck at my workplace. Got the recipe
from recipesource.com, but here it is:

Texas Caviar (Black-Eyed Pea Salad)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables Salads

2 cups Black Eyed Peas -- Dry
1/2 cup Green Pepper -- Diced
1/4 cup White Onion -- Diced
2 tablespoons Canned Jalapeno Peppers -- Finely Chopped
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
1 medium Clove Garlic -- Minced
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper -- Freshly Ground

Sort the black-eyed peas and soak overnight in 6 cups of water. Drain.
Cook peas
in 4 cups of fresh water until done but still firm, about 1 1/2 hours.
Rinse in
cold water and drain. In a medium bowl, combine all the remaining
ingredients
and mix well. Add the peas and chill.

I used frozen peas, but I've seen recipes that use canned. I used red
bell pepper
and some chopped scallions for that holiday red-and-green thing. I
also added salt.
Oh, and 2T each of vinegar and oil didn't seem like enough for the
amount of peas
I used, so I increased that. Should have increased the garlic, too,
but I was
afraid to go overboard.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
> Kajikit wrote:
>> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
>> all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
>> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
>> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
>> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
>> make, and don't cost a fortune?

> Grape jelly meatballs?
> Or for something that doesn't need to be kept warm - tortilla pinwheels.
> You could make them even more Christmasy by using red and green tortillas.
>
> -Tracy

LOL! I just went to recipecircus.com, and one of the ads is for Heinz chili
sauce + cranberry sauce + meatballs! <waving at NancyY>

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
>all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
>anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
>grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
>festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
>make, and don't cost a fortune?

Have you ever made Susan Hattie's goat cheese torta?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...17f5a200?hl=en

And happy anniversary!
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Dec 18, 6:24 pm, Kajikit > wrote:
>> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
>> all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
>> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
>> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
>> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
>> make, and don't cost a fortune?

> I took Texas Caviar to the potluck at my workplace. Got the recipe
> from recipesource.com, but here it is:
>
> Texas Caviar (Black-Eyed Pea Salad)
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Vegetables Salads

> 2 cups Black Eyed Peas -- Dry
> 1/2 cup Green Pepper -- Diced
> 1/4 cup White Onion -- Diced
> 2 tablespoons Canned Jalapeno Peppers -- Finely Chopped
> 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
> 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
> 1 medium Clove Garlic -- Minced
> 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper -- Freshly Ground
>
> Sort the black-eyed peas and soak overnight in 6 cups of water. Drain.
> Cook peas
> in 4 cups of fresh water until done but still firm, about 1 1/2 hours.
> Rinse in
> cold water and drain. In a medium bowl, combine all the remaining
> ingredients
> and mix well. Add the peas and chill.
>
> I used frozen peas, but I've seen recipes that use canned. I used red
> bell pepper
> and some chopped scallions for that holiday red-and-green thing. I
> also added salt.
> Oh, and 2T each of vinegar and oil didn't seem like enough for the
> amount of peas
> I used, so I increased that. Should have increased the garlic, too,
> but I was
> afraid to go overboard.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

It's been a while since I've made this...may have to do so next week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote

>> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
>> all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding

>I don't know how many you need feed. But chicken is reasonably
>priced. Get a couple of roasters. Quarter them, lay then in a big
>pan, season and roast in your oven. Then let cool a bit and remove
>the meat fom the bones. In the same roasting pan make up a cream
>sauce with onion and celery... use canned creamed soup if you must...
>add the chicken pieces, a package of frozen peas and carrots, and top
>with a couple tubes of those Dough Boy biscuits and bake.

Grin, not bad actually! I think I'd add red and green bell peppers at this
season for the color.

I assist a local church with a sort of food bank in winter. They pickup
even so have the following ready for tomorrow (due to hard times, they now
operate Sat and Sunday).

For Saturday:

4 gallons Dashi with chinese broccoli and kangkoon (a spinach sort) and 10
minced cherry stone clams (40 cents each here) and some onaga and gindai
(sorry, keep forgetting english for them, fish types. Momentary brain
freeze). (slight break, onaga is snapper. Gindai is ....a snapper type as
well but looks pretty different when whole).

10 lbs crockpotted 'baked' potatoes

With this goes a grocery bag full of canned items: 2 canned hams, 1 large
can beef stew, 10 cans various veggies, 2 bags dried pasta, 3 cans creamed
soups. Not fancy grant you but what we could afford. Sunday they split
this up with those who need it.

Sunday:
More dashi but this one with croppie and grouper and a stray big eyed scad
and more spinach-y stuff plus udon noodles.

10 lbs yams from crockpot with honey and figs

4 loaves fresh bread from breadmaker (first one churning now, a rye and
white sort)

2 lbs butter, rolled in spices to make 'butter logs' of parsely, garlic,
paprika etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:19:07 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:24:27 -0500, Kajikit >
>wrote:
>
>>Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
>>all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
>>anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
>>grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
>>festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
>>make, and don't cost a fortune?

>Have you ever made Susan Hattie's goat cheese torta?
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...17f5a200?hl=en
>
>And happy anniversary!

Thanks! After a little thought I decided to go healthy - I'm going to
make a veggie platter. The potlucks are usually a sea of starch
(macaroni cheese, potato casserole, baked ziti etc.), so when
fruit/veggies DO appear they're snapped up like greased lightning. I'm
not sure if I'm going to make my own dip or just take a big tub of
hummus from BJs. We'll see how energetic I feel tomorrow!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
> all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
> make, and don't cost a fortune?

Quiche.

The variety is endless and I have yet to not have it totally wiped out
by the end of a potluck.

It's also easy as pie to make. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:

> Thanks! After a little thought I decided to go healthy - I'm going to
> make a veggie platter. The potlucks are usually a sea of starch
> (macaroni cheese, potato casserole, baked ziti etc.), so when
> fruit/veggies DO appear they're snapped up like greased lightning. I'm
> not sure if I'm going to make my own dip or just take a big tub of
> hummus from BJs. We'll see how energetic I feel tomorrow!

I vote for the hummus. People bring dips to pot lucks (usually store
bought Ranch dressing?) and they aren't usually particularly "healthy"
whereas hummus is loaded with protein.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:19:07 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:24:27 -0500, Kajikit >
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
> >>all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
> >>anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
> >>grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
> >>festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
> >>make, and don't cost a fortune?

> >Have you ever made Susan Hattie's goat cheese torta?
> >http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...17f5a200?hl=en
> >
> >And happy anniversary!

> Thanks! After a little thought I decided to go healthy - I'm going to
> make a veggie platter. The potlucks are usually a sea of starch
> (macaroni cheese, potato casserole, baked ziti etc.), so when
> fruit/veggies DO appear they're snapped up like greased lightning. I'm
> not sure if I'm going to make my own dip or just take a big tub of
> hummus from BJs. We'll see how energetic I feel tomorrow!

Bacon ranch dressing...

Raw veggies are a good idea! Don't forget the zucchini spears. I love
that stuff raw.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
news
> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
> all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
> make, and don't cost a fortune?

I jave made this several times it's right out of the RFC cookbook,

It tastes GREAT and looks Wonderful.

Dimitri

BLUE CHEESE APPETIZER TART

A creamy rich blue cheese filling is baked in a flaky pastry tart and
garnished with roasted red peppers, pine nuts and parsley in this ever
popular appetizer.

Preparation time: 30 min Baking time: 37 min
Yield: 16 servings

Pastry Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cold LAND O LAKES® Butter, cut into chunks
4 to 5 tablespoons ice water

Filling Ingredients:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
3 tablespoons lightly toasted pine nuts or your favorite chopped nuts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat oven to 375°F. Place flour in large bowl; cut in butter with pastry
blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in water with
fork until flour is just moistened. Shape into a ball. Roll out pastry on
lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle.

Place into 9 or 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom or pie pan; press
firmly on bottom and up sides of pan. Cut away excess pastry; prick all over
with fork. Bake for 17 to 22 minutes or until very lightly browned.

Meanwhile, combine cream cheese and blue cheese in large bowl. Beat at
medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Continue beating, gradually
adding whipping cream, egg and ground pepper until blended. Spread into
baked pastry. Sprinkle with roasted red pepper, pine nuts and parsley.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is set. Let stand 20 minutes
before serving. Cut into wedges. Cover; store refrigerated.

Nutrition Facts (1 serving): Calories: 180, Fat: 14g, Cholesterol: 50mg,
Sodium: 150mg, Carbohydrates: 10g, Dietary Fiber: 1g, Protein: 4g

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:50:22 -0500, Kajikit >
wrote:

>Thanks! After a little thought I decided to go healthy - I'm going to
>make a veggie platter. The potlucks are usually a sea of starch
>(macaroni cheese, potato casserole, baked ziti etc.), so when
>fruit/veggies DO appear they're snapped up like greased lightning. I'm
>not sure if I'm going to make my own dip or just take a big tub of
>hummus from BJs. We'll see how energetic I feel tomorrow!

You could forgo the dip and simply marinate all the veggies in Italian
dressing overnight. These marinated veggies are always very popular
at my school.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:19:07 -0600, "modom (palindrome guy)"
> > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:24:27 -0500, Kajikit >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
>>>all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
>>>anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
>>>grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
>>>festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
>>>make, and don't cost a fortune?

>>Have you ever made Susan Hattie's goat cheese torta?
>>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...17f5a200?hl=en
>>
>>And happy anniversary!

> Thanks! After a little thought I decided to go healthy - I'm going to
> make a veggie platter. The potlucks are usually a sea of starch
> (macaroni cheese, potato casserole, baked ziti etc.), so when
> fruit/veggies DO appear they're snapped up like greased lightning. I'm
> not sure if I'm going to make my own dip or just take a big tub of
> hummus from BJs. We'll see how energetic I feel tomorrow!

Karen that's exactly what I do. A fresh veggie or fruit try is always a
welcome site. I like to blanch my veggies and make a dip. For fruit I
usually make a dip as well for others. I seldom use it myself.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote
> "Sheldon" wrote

Hey Sheldon, you posted something (I think it was you) on a sweet potato
cassarole dish that wasnt super sweet but a bit on the savory side.

I've a glut of sweet potatoes here (had over judged how much the momma
crockpot would hold for the church soup-kitchen).

Do you remember the recipe? or perhaps have one? My daughter or husband
can peel them fine for me. Looking for something other than 'baked sweet
potatoes'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 6:24*pm, Kajikit > wrote:

Tomorrow is our wedding
> anniversary,

Have a big celebration!! Wishing you many more years of wedded bliss.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote
>> "Sheldon" wrote

> Hey Sheldon, you posted something (I think it was you) on a sweet potato
> cassarole dish that wasnt super sweet but a bit on the savory side.
>
> I've a glut of sweet potatoes here (had over judged how much the momma
> crockpot would hold for the church soup-kitchen).
>
> Do you remember the recipe? or perhaps have one? My daughter or husband
> can peel them fine for me. Looking for something other than 'baked sweet
> potatoes'.

If you don't get any better suggestions, they are delicious steamed
or boiled till tender and mashed with grated orange zest and a touch of
maple syrup.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

> If you don't get any better suggestions, they are delicious steamed
> or boiled till tender and mashed with grated orange zest and a touch of
> maple syrup.

Sounds lovely but looking for 'savory' as in spiced. I thought it was
Sheldon with the recipe but it may have been another?

To help explain, sugar problems are endemic in the family so we eat (and
always have) a fairly close to diabetic diet but with more leeway than a
true diabetic has. Kid had Halloween candy left over from last year, this
year still. Just do not *like* sweets which I know sounds really odd, but
... well, thats us.

Most recipes marked for 'diabetics' use lots of variations on sweetners so
taste too sickly sweet for us. Sweet potato alone with nothing added in
sweet, suits us well enough. JUst looking for a variation here.

Think orange zest and butter with a little sour cream would work?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "Gloria P" wrote
>> cshenk wrote:

>> If you don't get any better suggestions, they are delicious steamed
>> or boiled till tender and mashed with grated orange zest and a touch of
>> maple syrup.

> Sounds lovely but looking for 'savory' as in spiced. I thought it was
> Sheldon with the recipe but it may have been another?
>
> To help explain, sugar problems are endemic in the family so we eat (and
> always have) a fairly close to diabetic diet but with more leeway than a
> true diabetic has. Kid had Halloween candy left over from last year, this
> year still. Just do not *like* sweets which I know sounds really odd, but
> .. well, thats us.
>
> Most recipes marked for 'diabetics' use lots of variations on sweetners so
> taste too sickly sweet for us. Sweet potato alone with nothing added in
> sweet, suits us well enough. JUst looking for a variation here.
>
> Think orange zest and butter with a little sour cream would work?

I don 't see why not. Id try it with just the zest and butter. SOur
cream might be gilding the lily.

I have a homemade spice blend I use on sweet potato wedges baked with a
little olive oil. It's delicious, no sugar, and brings out the natural
sweetness of the potatoes.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> "Gloria P" wrote
>
>>cshenk wrote:

>>If you don't get any better suggestions, they are delicious steamed
>>or boiled till tender and mashed with grated orange zest and a touch of
>>maple syrup.

> Sounds lovely but looking for 'savory' as in spiced. I thought it was
> Sheldon with the recipe but it may have been another?
>
> To help explain, sugar problems are endemic in the family so we eat (and
> always have) a fairly close to diabetic diet but with more leeway than a
> true diabetic has. Kid had Halloween candy left over from last year, this
> year still. Just do not *like* sweets which I know sounds really odd, but
> .. well, thats us.
>
> Most recipes marked for 'diabetics' use lots of variations on sweetners so
> taste too sickly sweet for us. Sweet potato alone with nothing added in
> sweet, suits us well enough. JUst looking for a variation here.
>
> Think orange zest and butter with a little sour cream would work?

I would say peel, cut into chunks, toss in a little olive oil to coat
and roast until caramelized with some sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:03:10 -0700, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Kajikit wrote:
>> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
>> all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
>> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
>> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
>> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
>> make, and don't cost a fortune?

>You didn't say healthy, right? This meets the delicious criterion.
>
>In a 9x13 pan spread a bag of frozen hash browns or potatoes O'Brien
>or grate your own if desired.
>
>Mix together until smooth (all measurements approximate)
>2 cups medium white sauce, salt & pepper to taste
>1-2 Tbsp. grated onion
>8 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
>1 cup shredded mild cheddar or jack cheese
> (optional--peas, asparagus tips, cubed chicken, ham, etc.)
>
>Pour over potatoes, top with more cheese or buttered bread crumbs or
>cracker crumbs. Bake @ 350 deg. F until brown and bubbly.
>
>Note: original recipe called for canned cream of mushroom and cream of
>chicken soups, but making your own bechamel/white sauce is much tastier.
>
>gloria p

Top with crushed cornflake crumbs that have been mixed with some of
the bacon drippings. You know, from the bacon that was baked til
crisp, then crumbled and mixed with the white sauce. :-)

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 18, 6:24*pm, Kajikit > wrote:
> Our church is having their Christmas potluck dinner on Sunday, and I'm
> all out of inspiration for what to make! Tomorrow is our wedding
> anniversary, so I'll have to make my dish on Saturday after I go
> grocery shopping for ingredients. Anybody got any recipes that are
> festive, likely to appeal to the masses, not too time-consuming to
> make, and don't cost a fortune?

You can't go wrong with a fresh, cut up pineapple on toothpicks. You
won't have to worry about keeping em hot or cold, and you can do
ahead. People like something easy to handle, plain and natural to
offset all those fattening dips and the pasta salads. If you want to
fuss a bit, make up an accompanying yogurt dip, and tint it pink with
some "Marciano" ** cherry juice.

My market had Costa Rican pineapples yest. marked down to 2.99 from
4.99.

** overheard in the stupermkt