Old 04-12-2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cabbage for Cabbage Rolls

I enjoy making cabbage rolls once in a while. I bought a head of
cabbage last Sunday at a farm market, and the sign implied that it was
grown locally. The cabbage leaves were really large almost all the way
to center of the cabbage, which really made rolling the rolls a lot
easier. This is, I think, the first time I have purchased a cabbage
like that. Is there a way to tell ahead of time how big the cabbage
leaves might be in the center or was this just a fluke, or the variety
of cabbage which they planted?

Thanks

Tom

Old 04-12-2008, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"tomba" wrote:
I enjoy making cabbage rolls once in a while. I bought a head of
cabbage last Sunday at a farm market, and the sign implied that it was
grown locally. The cabbage leaves were really large almost all the way
to center of the cabbage, which really made rolling the rolls a lot
easier. This is, I think, the first time I have purchased a cabbage
like that. Is there a way to tell ahead of time how big the cabbage
leaves might be in the center.

Check its shoe size. hehe
Old 05-12-2008, 12:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

NO sure way, but our grandmeres knew:

Buy a head that is heavy for its size. Some varieties, especially when
subjected to certain exterior conditions, will develop cracked heads
(bad broken leaves) or thick spongy centers. FE: A good small head
may weigh 1-1.2 Lb. We're talking maybe 6-7 inches in diameter.
If you find a sale on BIG heads at a good price, and each still weighs
1-1.2 Lb, you can assume the centers are pulpy and spongy.

You will have to experiment with what's available in your local
market, I'm afraid. That's because season of harvest and the
availability of water during the growng season also affect
the end product.

Buy and try. If the heads are not good for stuffing, they can
still be OK for Corned beef, or sauteed cabbage with bacon and
noodles, or some other way of preparation.

Even with not-so-good heads, sometimes you can make the
cabbages work by parboiling first, then stripping off the
leaves carefully and peeling off the thick leaf stems; they
will roll easier.

HTH

Alex

BTB: Threw out the sauerkraut with the really *strange*
bouquet, got some nice organic heads and started another
batch of kraut. Looking good. Bubbles forming as God
ordained. My homemade corned beef waits in anticipation!
Me too.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Chemiker wrote:

Buy and try. If the heads are not good for stuffing, they can
still be OK for Corned beef, or sauteed cabbage with bacon and
noodles, or some other way of preparation.

Here's a nice recipe. Can't be any easier to make.

Cedric Adams' So-Good Cabbage Casserole
posted to rec.food.cooking again by Barb Schaller, 12-4-2008

? 1 medium head cabbage
? 1 # lean ground beef
? 1 small onion chopped
? 1 can tomato soup (10-1/2 oz.)

Shred cabbage rather coarsely. Saute ground beef with onion; heat it
through, but don't brown. Season to taste. Put a layer of cabbage in a
2-quart casserole. Cover that with beef and onion. Add the rest of the
cabbage as a top layer. Over the whole business pour a can of tomato
soup. Cover the casserole and bake in a medium oven (350?) until the
cabbage is tender, 30-45 minutes. Serves 4-6. You get no back-up from
the cabbage. The caloric content is low. And the whole thing is lickin'
good.

Source:Taste, October 16, 1974. Originally printed in one of Cedric
Adams' columns in the 1950s.

Note: Be sure to use plenty of cabbage; it cooks down.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor -- the world can
Old 05-12-2008, 04:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Chemiker wrote:

[...]

No spices at all? ('cept for the onions) Or does "season to taste" mean
I can add lots of pepper?

Still, it looks compelling. Especially because I have some shredded
cabbage that needs to be used up, and a pound of hamburger thawed out
already. Thanks.

Bob

Old 05-12-2008, 04:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 04 Dec 2008 08:34:53p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

In article ,
Chemiker wrote:

[...]

Sounds good, Barb, and certainly simple to put together. I gotta make this
soon!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
2wks 6dys 2hrs 36mins
A neat desk is a sign of a sick mind.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Chemiker wrote:

[...]

"Season to taste" means you can add lots of pepper. I add some, not
necessarily a lot. Nope, no other spices in the recipe its simplicity
and short ingredient list is what attracted Cedric's wife to it, I
think. She'd gotten the recipe at her beauty shop one day while getting
a 'do.' :-)

Don't use finely shredded cabbage, Bob.

We like it.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Chemiker wrote:

[...]

This is not a competition (no way! lol), I just thought I would add my
recipe, which is similar. I love cabbage rolls, but sometimes I am too
lazy to make them. :-P

Becca

Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef And Veal Casseroles

1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 medium onion -- peeled and coarsely chopped
1/2 medium cabbage head- cored, quartered, and cut into 1" strips
1/4 cup water
28 ounces crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds -- optional
1 garlic clove -- finely minced
2 cups cooked rice

In a 6 quart Dutch oven, brown the ground beef, draining off the fat.
Add the chopped onion and cook until onion softens, 3-5
minutes. Add the chopped cabbage and water to the Dutch oven; cook
until the cabbage begins to soften and wilt, 5-8 minutes more.
Add the tomatoes, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, caraway seeds, and
garlic; stir to mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and
cover. Simmer until cabbage is tender-crisp, 30 minutes or more.
Serve over rice.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

A very good chef gave me this procedure for cabbage roll leaves (sarma in
Croatian). Make sure they 'thump' heartily. Nice and solid. Smaller green
cabbage heads. 5-6 inches?
(side note: He is a 'wop-a-hunk'. His mother was full croatian (bohunk) and
his father was full Italian (wop). Both them cooked as all four of his (old
country) grandparents, so he had super culinary education.
In fact he was very successful in the retail restaurant business for many
years.
---- No intent to embarass or discriminate anyone with this sidenote. In
fact, I am full bohunk.

Core the heads to about half their diameter. Fill that cavity with a
vinegar salt mixture and allow it to 'rest a few hours (don't spare the
salt). Without spilling out the mixture (if any is still present) put them
in a big stock pot and boil for only about 5 minutes, covered in a
vinegar/salt solution.
Use the large complete leaves for the rolls and the 'remnants to add to the
kraut in the roaster.
If the main veins are large, shave them down or remove them completely.
It's not as good as the real leaves made from full heads mixed in with with
the kraut, while making the kraut, but it is next best.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
" wrote:

I enjoy making cabbage rolls once in a while. I bought a head of
cabbage last Sunday at a farm market, and the sign implied that it was
grown locally. The cabbage leaves were really large almost all the way
to center of the cabbage, which really made rolling the rolls a lot
easier. This is, I think, the first time I have purchased a cabbage
like that. Is there a way to tell ahead of time how big the cabbage
leaves might be in the center or was this just a fluke, or the variety
of cabbage which they planted?

Thanks

Tom

Hard to say.

I generally use Napa and pre-wilt it.

Works for me. :-)

http://i38.tinypic.com/qqa1km.jpg
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Old 05-12-2008, 06:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article ,
Chemiker wrote:

[...]

Mm, that sounds good, and reasonably low carb. :-)

Cool idea, thanks.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Becca wrote:

[...]

Cool. I like the idea of a casserole! Lots less work than making
cabbage rolls. ;-)

Kinda like Enchilada pie. g

Old 05-12-2008, 07:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Chemiker wrote:

[...]

A good variation to this is to add the uncooked rice and extra water at
the last step and reduce the time of the last step a little. That is
sufficient time to cook the rice and it picks up the flavors of the dish
much like it would in the cabbage roll version.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
Becca wrote:
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Chemiker wrote:

[...]

That is a great idea, George. Thanks.

Becca
Old 05-12-2008, 10:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Here's a nice recipe. Can't be any easier to make.

Cedric Adams' So-Good Cabbage Casserole
posted to rec.food.cooking again by Barb Schaller, 12-4-2008

? 1 medium head cabbage
? 1 # lean ground beef
? 1 small onion chopped
? 1 can tomato soup (10-1/2 oz.)

Is this an extra slothful version of the Polish golabki leniwe or the
Russian golubtsy lenivyye, "lazy cabbage rolls"?

Bubba

cabbage rolls lainie General Cooking 19 06-09-2010 04:16 PM
Cabbage Rolls katreen Recipes 2 09-07-2009 04:58 PM
cabbage rolls Andy General Cooking 9 17-12-2005 02:10 AM
Cabbage Rolls PlaidPooka Recipes (moderated) 0 29-11-2005 03:49 AM
cabbage rolls MJ General Cooking 0 03-01-2005 04:39 AM