Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cabbage rolls

Wow, it's been years since I've made cabbage rolls. Probably because
I remember them being such a pain. These days, I guess I have more
patience. And although time consuming, it was easy to boil and roll
the leaves. A relatively simple recipe; beef, pork, eggs, san marzano
tomatoes (from my garden, no less), onions, garlic and tomato sauce,
baked in the oven. Yeah! But I have many leaves left over and hate
to throw them out. OTOH, I'm not a huge fan of cabbage. I'm making
them for my kids. I'd make soup, but the last time I made cabbage
soup, I was on that horrible diet. YUK..........
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lainie" > wrote in message
> Wow, it's been years since I've made cabbage rolls. Probably because
> I remember them being such a pain. These days, I guess I have more
> patience. And although time consuming, it was easy to boil and roll
> the leaves. A relatively simple recipe; beef, pork, eggs, san marzano
> tomatoes (from my garden, no less), onions, garlic and tomato sauce,
> baked in the oven. Yeah! But I have many leaves left over and hate
> to throw them out. OTOH, I'm not a huge fan of cabbage. I'm making
> them for my kids. I'd make soup, but the last time I made cabbage
> soup, I was on that horrible diet. YUK..........

I make a sauce from 2 cans of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup
cider vinegar. Cook it for a few minutes first. It really goes incredibly
well with the cabbage rolls.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
lainie > wrote:

> Wow, it's been years since I've made cabbage rolls. Probably because
> I remember them being such a pain. These days, I guess I have more
> patience. And although time consuming, it was easy to boil and roll
> the leaves. A relatively simple recipe; beef, pork, eggs, san marzano
> tomatoes (from my garden, no less), onions, garlic and tomato sauce,
> baked in the oven. Yeah! But I have many leaves left over and hate
> to throw them out. OTOH, I'm not a huge fan of cabbage. I'm making
> them for my kids. I'd make soup, but the last time I made cabbage
> soup, I was on that horrible diet. YUK..........

Wow! I just got home from the farmers market and the supermarket with
a head of savoy cabbage and 2# of ground chuck roast for holubky. I've
already cooked the rice. GMTA. I chop excess cabbage and lay it on
top of the rolls before covering with a layer of sauerkraut and a can of
tomato juice.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "lainie" > wrote in message
>> Wow, it's been years since I've made cabbage rolls. Probably because
>> I remember them being such a pain. These days, I guess I have more
>> patience. And although time consuming, it was easy to boil and roll
>> the leaves. A relatively simple recipe; beef, pork, eggs, san marzano
>> tomatoes (from my garden, no less), onions, garlic and tomato sauce,
>> baked in the oven. Yeah! But I have many leaves left over and hate
>> to throw them out. OTOH, I'm not a huge fan of cabbage. I'm making
>> them for my kids. I'd make soup, but the last time I made cabbage
>> soup, I was on that horrible diet. YUK..........

> I make a sauce from 2 cans of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/3
> cup cider vinegar. Cook it for a few minutes first. It really goes
> incredibly well with the cabbage rolls.
>
> Paul

Nope - any tomato sauce will do as long as you serve the cabbage rolls with
Sour Cream :-)

Hmmm Sprouts has green bell peppers for 49 cents each - stuffed peppers.....

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> lainie > wrote:
>
>> Wow, it's been years since I've made cabbage rolls. Probably because
>> I remember them being such a pain. These days, I guess I have more
>> patience. And although time consuming, it was easy to boil and roll
>> the leaves. A relatively simple recipe; beef, pork, eggs, san marzano
>> tomatoes (from my garden, no less), onions, garlic and tomato sauce,
>> baked in the oven. Yeah! But I have many leaves left over and hate
>> to throw them out. OTOH, I'm not a huge fan of cabbage. I'm making
>> them for my kids. I'd make soup, but the last time I made cabbage
>> soup, I was on that horrible diet. YUK..........

> Wow! I just got home from the farmers market and the supermarket with
> a head of savoy cabbage and 2# of ground chuck roast for holubky. I've
> already cooked the rice. GMTA. I chop excess cabbage and lay it on
> top of the rolls before covering with a layer of sauerkraut and a can of
> tomato juice.

I chop some of the smaller leaves and mix that intop the meat. I place
whole leaves on top. Never heard of the sauerkraut method. I really love
CRs - probably my favorite comfort food.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>
>> "lainie" > wrote in message
>>> Wow, it's been years since I've made cabbage rolls. Probably because
>>> I remember them being such a pain. These days, I guess I have more
>>> patience. And although time consuming, it was easy to boil and roll
>>> the leaves. A relatively simple recipe; beef, pork, eggs, san marzano
>>> tomatoes (from my garden, no less), onions, garlic and tomato sauce,
>>> baked in the oven. Yeah! But I have many leaves left over and hate
>>> to throw them out. OTOH, I'm not a huge fan of cabbage. I'm making
>>> them for my kids. I'd make soup, but the last time I made cabbage
>>> soup, I was on that horrible diet. YUK..........

>> I make a sauce from 2 cans of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/3
>> cup cider vinegar. Cook it for a few minutes first. It really goes
>> incredibly well with the cabbage rolls.
>>
>> Paul

> Nope - any tomato sauce will do as long as you serve the cabbage rolls
> with Sour Cream :-)
>
> Hmmm Sprouts has green bell peppers for 49 cents each - stuffed
> peppers.....

Agreed on the sour cream but I never liked cabbage rolls that much until I
tried that sauce recipe. I find the tomato juice to be very flat and
boring. It doesn't add much to the dish IMO. I've made rolls with golden
raisins in the mixture and found that to be a really nice combination.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lainie wrote:
> Wow, it's been years since I've made cabbage rolls. Probably because
> I remember them being such a pain. These days, I guess I have more
> patience. And although time consuming, it was easy to boil and roll
> the leaves. A relatively simple recipe; beef, pork, eggs, san marzano
> tomatoes (from my garden, no less), onions, garlic and tomato sauce,
> baked in the oven. Yeah! But I have many leaves left over and hate
> to throw them out. OTOH, I'm not a huge fan of cabbage. I'm making
> them for my kids. I'd make soup, but the last time I made cabbage
> soup, I was on that horrible diet. YUK..........

I make a boiled meat loaf that is wrapped in cabbage leaves, but the
filling, the meat mix has the rest of the cabbage chopped up and added
to it to cook in the "meat loaf" mix.

You might try the same thing with a regular baked meat loaf.

THese days, as much out of laziness as because i like the texture it
produces in a baked meat loaf, i puree my veggies for the meat loaf in
the food processor.

My little mini prep can liquefy an onion or a green pepper but the
fibrous cabbage does not seem to break down completely, more like a fine
chiffonade of cabbage.

This all results in a very fine grained, almost pate like meat loaf.

--

Mr. Joseph Paul Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.

Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 2:36*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "lainie" > wrote in message

> > Wow, it's been years since I've made cabbage rolls. *Probably because
> > I remember them being such a pain. *These days, I guess I have more
> > patience. *And although time consuming, it was easy to boil and roll
> > the leaves. *A relatively simple recipe; beef, pork, eggs, san marzano
> > tomatoes (from my garden, no less), onions, garlic and tomato sauce,
> > baked in the oven. *Yeah! *But I have many leaves left over and hate
> > to throw them out. *OTOH, I'm not a huge fan of cabbage. *I'm making
> > them for my kids. *I'd make soup, but the last time I made cabbage
> > soup, I was on that horrible diet. *YUK..........

> I make a sauce from 2 cans of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup
> cider vinegar. * Cook it for a few minutes first. *It really goes incredibly
> well with the cabbage rolls.
>
> Paul

Ok, just tried the cabbage rolls. Good, but lacking some spices that
I would have added if it was for me - oregano, thyme, parsley, basil.
Sadly, my daughters' husbands are not that into being creative - bland
seems to work for them! And since I have three daughters that are
breast feeding, cabbage is probably not an option. But now I know
what to do with the remaining leaves! Off to the store to buy more
ground meat..........e.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 1:43*pm, lainie > wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2:36*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>

> > "lainie" > wrote in message

> > > Wow, it's been years since I've made cabbage rolls. *Probably because
> > > I remember them being such a pain. *These days, I guess I have more
> > > patience. *And although time consuming, it was easy to boil and roll
> > > the leaves. *A relatively simple recipe; beef, pork, eggs, san marzano
> > > tomatoes (from my garden, no less), onions, garlic and tomato sauce,
> > > baked in the oven. *Yeah! *But I have many leaves left over and hate
> > > to throw them out. *OTOH, I'm not a huge fan of cabbage. *I'm making
> > > them for my kids. *I'd make soup, but the last time I made cabbage
> > > soup, I was on that horrible diet. *YUK..........

> > I make a sauce from 2 cans of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup
> > cider vinegar. * Cook it for a few minutes first. *It really goes incredibly
> > well with the cabbage rolls.

> > Paul

> Ok, just tried the cabbage rolls. *Good, but lacking some spices that
> I would have added if it was for me - oregano, thyme, parsley, basil.
> Sadly, my daughters' husbands are not that into being creative - bland
> seems to work for them! * And since I have three daughters that are
> breast feeding, cabbage is probably not an option. *But now I know
> what to do with the remaining leaves! *Off to the store to buy more
> ground meat..........e.- Hide quoted text -

Why shouldn't your daughters who are breast \feedine eat cabbage?
Enquiring minds want to know.
Lynn in Fargo
Whose daughter is 6 months pregnant and planning to breastfeed . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 7:03*pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
> On Sep 4, 1:43*pm, lainie > wrote:

> > > I make a sauce from 2 cans of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup
> > > cider vinegar. * Cook it for a few minutes first. *It really goes incredibly
> > > well with the cabbage rolls.

> > > Paul

> > Ok, just tried the cabbage rolls. *Good, but lacking some spices that
> > I would have added if it was for me - oregano, thyme, parsley, basil.
> > Sadly, my daughters' husbands are not that into being creative - bland
> > seems to work for them! * And since I have three daughters that are
> > breast feeding, cabbage is probably not an option. *But now I know
> > what to do with the remaining leaves! *Off to the store to buy more
> > ground meat..........e.- Hide quoted text -

> Why shouldn't your daughters who are breast \feedine eat cabbage?
> Enquiring minds want to know.
> Lynn in Fargo
> Whose daughter is 6 months pregnant and planning to breastfeed . . .- Hide quoted text -

Gas. Each to their own opinion, of course. Although I've been told
that cabbage leaves placed on a nursing mother's breast for a short
amount of time, does help the milk supply. e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lainie wrote:
> On Sep 4, 7:03 pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:

>> Why shouldn't your daughters who are breast \feeding eat cabbage?
>> Enquiring minds want to know.
>> Lynn in Fargo
>> Whose daughter is 6 months pregnant and planning to breastfeed . . .- Hide quoted text -

> Gas. Each to their own opinion, of course. Although I've been told
> that cabbage leaves placed on a nursing mother's breast for a short
> amount of time, does help the milk supply. e.

>Lynn: Mothers need to be careful with their diets when nursing

because foods some people consider "gassy" (cabbage family, beans,
peppers, etc.) can cause really bad gas/colic for the baby. My DIL's
pediatrician also told her to eliminate all dairy from her diet because
the baby was in a lot of pain after nursing. Eliminating all of the
above worked miracles in just a few days.

lainie> The cabbage leaves are used because they feel cool and are
soothing.

gloria p
IANAD
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 9:08*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> lainie wrote:
> > On Sep 4, 7:03 pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
> >> Why shouldn't your daughters who are breast \feeding eat cabbage?
> >> Enquiring minds want to know.
> >> Lynn in Fargo
> >> Whose daughter is 6 months pregnant and planning to breastfeed . . .- Hide quoted text -

> > Gas. Each to their own opinion, of course. *Although I've been told
> > that cabbage leaves placed on a nursing mother's breast for a short
> > amount of time, does help the milk supply. *e.

> *>Lynn: *Mothers need to be careful with their diets when nursing
> because foods some people consider "gassy" *(cabbage family, beans,
> peppers, etc.) can cause really bad gas/colic for the baby. *My DIL's
> pediatrician also told her to eliminate all dairy from her diet because
> the baby was in a lot of pain after nursing. *Eliminating all of the
> above worked miracles in just a few days.
>
> Interesting about the dairy. One of my daughters had twins 6 weeks ago. Today she told me she was eliminating all dairy from her diet because of the baby's crying and discomfort after nursing. Guess you just never know!! e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> I chop some of the smaller leaves and mix that intop the meat. I place
> whole leaves on top. Never heard of the sauerkraut method. I really love
> CRs - probably my favorite comfort food.
>
> Paul

Sauerkraut and tomato are a nice combination. We ate sauerkraut
frequently when I was growing up. Kraut and pork neck bones. Kraut and
spareribs. Kraut in pirohy. Kraut and halushky. Kraut with holubky.
Kraut on pizza (tomato sauce) is pretty good, too. Another flavor
that's nice with kraut is pineapple.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are he
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 4, 11:47*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> I chop some of the smaller leaves and mix that intop the meat. *I place
> whole leaves on top. *Never heard of the sauerkraut method. *I really love
> CRs - probably my favorite comfort food.
>
> Paul

I watched an episode of Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives this week and Guy
went to Kramarczuk's in Minneapolis. One of the dishes they made for
the show was their cabbage rolls....Holubets....
They lined the pan with whole leaves, then put the rolls in, poured
the sauce over and then covered the whole thing with more leaves.
Their cabbage rolls looked really good and HUGE.

I'd love to have a place like Kramarczuk's around here. The have old
country recipes that the family has been making for ever. Their
sausages made me want every single one of them.

http://www.kramarczuk.com/About/Our%20Story.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 17:20:34 -0700 (PDT), lainie wrote:

> On Sep 4, 7:03*pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>> On Sep 4, 1:43*pm, lainie > wrote:
>>

>>> Ok, just tried the cabbage rolls. *Good, but lacking some spices that
>>> I would have added if it was for me - oregano, thyme, parsley, basil.
>>> Sadly, my daughters' husbands are not that into being creative - bland
>>> seems to work for them! * And since I have three daughters that are
>>> breast feeding, cabbage is probably not an option. *But now I know
>>> what to do with the remaining leaves! *Off to the store to buy more
>>> ground meat..........e.- Hide quoted text -

>> Why shouldn't your daughters who are breast \feedine eat cabbage?
>> Enquiring minds want to know.
>> Lynn in Fargo
>> Whose daughter is 6 months pregnant and planning to breastfeed . . .- Hide quoted text -

> Gas. Each to their own opinion, of course. Although I've been told
> that cabbage leaves placed on a nursing mother's breast for a short
> amount of time, does help the milk supply. e.

i heard the babies themselves came from under cabbage leaves. didn't know
about the cabbage maternity brassieres.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 5, 11:06*am, blake murphy > wrote:

> i heard the babies themselves came from under cabbage leaves. *didn't know
> about the cabbage maternity brassieres.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Heh......

http://blstb.msn.com/i/11/B54060EF21...85122C41A0.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/5/2010 12:40 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In >,
> "Paul M. > wrote:
>
>> I chop some of the smaller leaves and mix that intop the meat. I place
>> whole leaves on top. Never heard of the sauerkraut method. I really love
>> CRs - probably my favorite comfort food.
>>
>> Paul

> Sauerkraut and tomato are a nice combination. We ate sauerkraut
> frequently when I was growing up. Kraut and pork neck bones. Kraut and
> spareribs. Kraut in pirohy. Kraut and halushky. Kraut with holubky.
> Kraut on pizza (tomato sauce) is pretty good, too. Another flavor
> that's nice with kraut is pineapple.

Not to mention kraut with apples.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 11:20:24 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:

> On Sep 5, 11:06*am, blake murphy > wrote:
>

>> i heard the babies themselves came from under cabbage leaves. *didn't know
>> about the cabbage maternity brassieres.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Heh......
>
> http://blstb.msn.com/i/11/B54060EF21...85122C41A0.jpg

ohnoes!!! ****ing mutants!!!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 15:33:40 -0700, Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> Gas. Each to their own opinion, of course. Although I've been told
>>> that cabbage leaves placed on a nursing mother's breast for a short
>>> amount of time, does help the milk supply. e.

>>i heard the babies themselves came from under cabbage leaves. didn't know
>>about the cabbage maternity brassieres.
>>
>>your pal,
>>blake

> Tagging onto this...
>
> Yes, for some people, it can give the baby gas. Whatever mom eats,
> the baby is eating....
>
> Eeek!! Not true about cabbage leaves helping milk supply, unless one
> wants to dry it up. I am not sure how it works, but it does help with
> drying it up.
>
> Christine

o.k, then i'll definitely stop working on the cabbage jockstrap.

your pal,
blake

Cabbage Rolls katreen Recipes 2 09-07-2009 04:58 PM
Cabbage Rolls Kellie Poodle Recipes (moderated) 0 16-11-2006 04:30 AM
cabbage rolls Andy General Cooking 9 17-12-2005 03:10 AM
Cabbage Rolls PlaidPooka Recipes (moderated) 0 29-11-2005 04:49 AM