Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default PING: Janet Wilder

Janet: I've been a diabetic for about 17 years and on insulin for most
of that period. I watch my carbs pretty carefully and try to eat
healthy. We eat multi-grain bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc.
and I seem to do better on it. The advantages of whole grains, in
addition to all the minerals and vitamins that refining takes out of
grain, is that it has a little more fiber and, more importantly in my
case, it takes longer to digest. Thus slowing the immediate impact of
eating the carbs. If I eat white rice, my blood glucose levels go
straight up almost immediately, brown rice the BG levels rise slowly and
my insulin can take care of it.

Here's a URL that may help:

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/wwheat.html

This is only my experience and I can't speak for others.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Janet Wilder

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> Janet: I've been a diabetic for about 17 years and on insulin for most of
> that period. I watch my carbs pretty carefully and try to eat healthy. We
> eat multi-grain bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc. and I seem to
> do better on it. The advantages of whole grains, in addition to all the
> minerals and vitamins that refining takes out of grain, is that it has a
> little more fiber and, more importantly in my case, it takes longer to
> digest. Thus slowing the immediate impact of eating the carbs. If I eat
> white rice, my blood glucose levels go straight up almost immediately,
> brown rice the BG levels rise slowly and my insulin can take care of it.
>
> Here's a URL that may help:
>
> http://www.cspinet.org/nah/wwheat.html
>
> This is only my experience and I can't speak for others.

This is what we are doing to avoid becoming diabetic. One thing, anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Janet: I've been a diabetic for about 17 years and on insulin for most
> of that period. I watch my carbs pretty carefully and try to eat
> healthy. We eat multi-grain bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc.
> and I seem to do better on it. The advantages of whole grains, in
> addition to all the minerals and vitamins that refining takes out of
> grain, is that it has a little more fiber and, more importantly in my
> case, it takes longer to digest. Thus slowing the immediate impact of
> eating the carbs. If I eat white rice, my blood glucose levels go
> straight up almost immediately, brown rice the BG levels rise slowly and
> my insulin can take care of it.
>
> Here's a URL that may help:
>
> http://www.cspinet.org/nah/wwheat.html
>
> This is only my experience and I can't speak for others.

George,

I appreciate your suggestions. DH has been diabetic for over 20 years.
We eat to his meter. Rice, be it brown, white or wild, will send that
meter reading way up. We avoid all forms of rice and if we must have
some, it's never more than 1/4 cup of cooked rice and he gives himself
an adequate bolus from his pump.

I went to a diabetes fair this weekend and spoke with a dietitian. It
appears that some people will benefit from the bit of fiber in brown
rice and whole wheat and others (like my DH won't) He does pretty well
with controlled portions of potato because of the longer "chain" of
carbohydrates. Some others don't do as well.

I think it is incumbent upon every diabetic to be aware of each
different food they eat. This can be accomplished by using their
glucometer one, two and even three hours post-prandial (after meals).
It's unfortunate that many doctors don't send their patients to diabetes
educators to learn how to control their disease. They hand them a
one-size-fits-all piece of paper from the ADA and give them a scrip for
pills and the admonition to "watch their intake of sweets"

It's a shameful part of our health care system, but it seems to be the
prevalent way the disease is treated.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> This is what we are doing to avoid becoming diabetic. One thing, anyway.

One of the best ways to avoid diabetes is to not be overweight. The
chemical that prevents the body from using insulin properly is stored in
adipose tissue. The more overweight one is, the more likely they are to
get type 2 diabetes.

I have a family history of the disease and long, long ago one of our
family physicians told me that if I didn't want diabetes, I shouldn't
get fat.

I've kept my weight down so that my BMI is no more than a couple of
pounds either way to maintain a low enough percentage of fat to body
mass. My fasting blood glucose, at age 62, averages around 80-85 mg/dl.

I eat a fairly low carb diet because that's what DH eats and I get
plenty of exercise. It's not easy, believe me.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Janet: I've been a diabetic for about 17 years and on insulin for most
>> of that period. I watch my carbs pretty carefully and try to eat
>> healthy. We eat multi-grain bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc.
>> and I seem to do better on it. The advantages of whole grains, in
>> addition to all the minerals and vitamins that refining takes out of
>> grain, is that it has a little more fiber and, more importantly in my
>> case, it takes longer to digest. Thus slowing the immediate impact of
>> eating the carbs. If I eat white rice, my blood glucose levels go
>> straight up almost immediately, brown rice the BG levels rise slowly
>> and my insulin can take care of it.
>>
>> Here's a URL that may help:
>>
>> http://www.cspinet.org/nah/wwheat.html
>>
>> This is only my experience and I can't speak for others.

> George,
>
> I appreciate your suggestions. DH has been diabetic for over 20 years.
> We eat to his meter. Rice, be it brown, white or wild, will send that
> meter reading way up. We avoid all forms of rice and if we must have
> some, it's never more than 1/4 cup of cooked rice and he gives himself
> an adequate bolus from his pump.
>
> I went to a diabetes fair this weekend and spoke with a dietitian. It
> appears that some people will benefit from the bit of fiber in brown
> rice and whole wheat and others (like my DH won't) He does pretty well
> with controlled portions of potato because of the longer "chain" of
> carbohydrates. Some others don't do as well.
>
> I think it is incumbent upon every diabetic to be aware of each
> different food they eat. This can be accomplished by using their
> glucometer one, two and even three hours post-prandial (after meals).
> It's unfortunate that many doctors don't send their patients to diabetes
> educators to learn how to control their disease. They hand them a
> one-size-fits-all piece of paper from the ADA and give them a scrip for
> pills and the admonition to "watch their intake of sweets"
>
> It's a shameful part of our health care system, but it seems to be the
> prevalent way the disease is treated.

So true, and one of my doctors said that the experts are leaning toward
multiple types of diabetes versus the standard I and II. He, and others,
seem to think there are as many types of diabetes as there are types of
arthritis.

I can eat potatoes fearlessly in moderation and that's the secret to all
of it, moderation. I'm shooting Lantus (24-hours dose) and Novalog, from
five to eight units 5 to 10 minutes prior to a meal and maintaining my
BG below 100 most of the time. I'm still overweight but working at
trimming off the seventy pounds I put back on after getting out of the
hospital last year. I'm glad he, and you, know what he can eat and what
he shouldn't eat. Keep it up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> This is what we are doing to avoid becoming diabetic. One thing, anyway.

> One of the best ways to avoid diabetes is to not be overweight.

That's another thing we do.

The
> chemical that prevents the body from using insulin properly is stored in
> adipose tissue. The more overweight one is, the more likely they are to
> get type 2 diabetes.
>
> I have a family history of the disease and long, long ago one of our
> family physicians told me that if I didn't want diabetes, I shouldn't get
> fat.
>
> I've kept my weight down so that my BMI is no more than a couple of pounds
> either way to maintain a low enough percentage of fat to body mass. My
> fasting blood glucose, at age 62, averages around 80-85 mg/dl.
>
> I eat a fairly low carb diet because that's what DH eats and I get plenty
> of exercise. It's not easy, believe me.

Good for you! You're an inspiration.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> I think it is incumbent upon every diabetic to be aware of each
> different food they eat. This can be accomplished by using their
> glucometer one, two and even three hours post-prandial (after meals).
> It's unfortunate that many doctors don't send their patients to diabetes
> educators to learn how to control their disease. They hand them a
> one-size-fits-all piece of paper from the ADA and give them a scrip for
> pills and the admonition to "watch their intake of sweets"
>
> It's a shameful part of our health care system, but it seems to be the
> prevalent way the disease is treated.

Diabetic or not, everybody needs to be an active participant in their
own healthcare. When you go to a doctor's appointment, even if it's
only for an annual physical (and who gets those anymore?), spend a few
minutes to write down a list of questions and concerns. Doctors are
just as rushed and harried as anybody else these days and it's easy to
forget things you meant to ask about. After she's answered my
questions, my doc snatches my notes, dates them and sticks them in my
chart. Over the years, she and I have both found them useful in
figuring out the onset of any particular issue.

Also, it is in one's own best interest to do at least a little research
on any diagnosis you might receive, and any prescription you might be given.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 7:23*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
> > Janet: I've been a diabetic for about 17 years and on insulin for most
> > of that period. I watch my carbs pretty carefully and try to eat
> > healthy. We eat multi-grain bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc.
> > and I seem to do better on it. The advantages of whole grains, in
> > addition to all the minerals and vitamins that refining takes out of
> > grain, is that it has a little more fiber and, more importantly in my
> > case, it takes longer to digest. Thus slowing the immediate impact of
> > eating the carbs. If I eat white rice, my blood glucose levels go
> > straight up almost immediately, brown rice the BG levels rise slowly and
> > my insulin can take care of it.

> > Here's a URL that may help:

> >http://www.cspinet.org/nah/wwheat.html

> > This is only my experience and I can't speak for others.

> George,
>
> I appreciate your suggestions. DH has been diabetic for over 20 years.
> We *eat to his meter. Rice, be it brown, white or wild, will send that
> meter reading way up. We avoid all forms of rice and if we must have
> some, it's never more than 1/4 cup of cooked rice and he gives himself
> an adequate bolus from his pump.
>
> I went to a diabetes fair this weekend and spoke with a dietitian. It
> appears that some people will benefit from the bit of fiber in brown
> rice and whole wheat and others (like my DH won't) *He does pretty well
> with controlled portions of potato because of the longer "chain" of
> carbohydrates. Some others don't do as well.
>
> I think it is incumbent upon every diabetic to be aware of each
> different food they eat. This can be accomplished by using their
> glucometer one, two and even three hours post-prandial (after meals).
> It's unfortunate that many doctors don't send their patients to diabetes
> educators to learn how to control their disease. They hand them a
> one-size-fits-all piece of paper from the ADA and give them a scrip for
> pills and the admonition to "watch their intake of sweets"
>
> It's a shameful part of our health care system, but it seems to be the
> prevalent way the disease is treated.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Janet,

Peer Support Groups.
I think every person with diabetes needs a F2F group, CDE monitored or
peer facilitated, with a mix of experienced successful diabetics.
People like your husband are sooooooooooooooooooo helpful to beginners
(like me).

I use a community health clinic (gets fed & local support + grants).
We are trying to foster a sort of "Buddy System" (like AA Sponsors) so
folks have somebody to call that's NOT their doctor's nurse.

I'm a voracious reader but I gotta have somebody to talk/whine/laugh/
celebrate with. Email me and we can talk.

Lynn in Fargo Type 2
WARNING: I am NOT an expert on diabetes ( and I don't even play one
on TV!)
Happy turkey day and good meter/scale readings to all!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lynn from Fargo wrote:

> Janet,
>
> Peer Support Groups.
> I think every person with diabetes needs a F2F group, CDE monitored or
> peer facilitated, with a mix of experienced successful diabetics.
> People like your husband are sooooooooooooooooooo helpful to beginners
> (like me).

I imagine that they are. He didn't have any.

> I use a community health clinic (gets fed & local support + grants).
> We are trying to foster a sort of "Buddy System" (like AA Sponsors) so
> folks have somebody to call that's NOT their doctor's nurse.
>
> I'm a voracious reader but I gotta have somebody to talk/whine/laugh/
> celebrate with. Email me and we can talk.
>
> Lynn in Fargo Type 2
> WARNING: I am NOT an expert on diabetes ( and I don't even play one
> on TV!)
> Happy turkey day and good meter/scale readings to all!

I just copied your email address to my address book. I'll send you an
email later. We are off to get hair cuts and to the shelter to look for
a dog.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> cybercat wrote:
>>
>>> This is what we are doing to avoid becoming diabetic. One thing, anyway.

>> One of the best ways to avoid diabetes is to not be overweight.

> That's another thing we do.
>
> The
>> chemical that prevents the body from using insulin properly is stored in
>> adipose tissue. The more overweight one is, the more likely they are to
>> get type 2 diabetes.
>>
>> I have a family history of the disease and long, long ago one of our
>> family physicians told me that if I didn't want diabetes, I shouldn't get
>> fat.
>>
>> I've kept my weight down so that my BMI is no more than a couple of pounds
>> either way to maintain a low enough percentage of fat to body mass. My
>> fasting blood glucose, at age 62, averages around 80-85 mg/dl.
>>
>> I eat a fairly low carb diet because that's what DH eats and I get plenty
>> of exercise. It's not easy, believe me.
>>

> Good for you! You're an inspiration.

Thank you. (blush)