Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Name this sweet? Got recipe?

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
m:

> I originally asked for help finding a caramel recipe because I
> couldn't find the mix for Carmelita bars at Costco anymore.

Oh Caramelitas...see below.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Caramelitas

none

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour -- divided
1 cup quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter or margarine -- melted
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 12-14 oz jar caramel ice cream topping
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

In a bowl, combine 1 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
Stir in butter. Mix well. Press into greased 13x9' baking pan. Bake at 350
degrees for 10 minutes until set. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Combine
caramel topping and remaining flour until blended. Drizzle over chips.
Sprinkle with nuts. Bake for 20-22 minutes until bubbly. Cool completely.
Cut into bars.

Once again a bitch to cut if not properly xet/chilled

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
> m:
>
>> I originally asked for help finding a caramel recipe because I
>> couldn't find the mix for Carmelita bars at Costco anymore.

> Oh Caramelitas...see below.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Caramelitas
>
> none
>
> 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour -- divided
> 1 cup quick-cooking oats
> 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
> 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 3/4 cup butter or margarine -- melted
> 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
> 1 12-14 oz jar caramel ice cream topping
> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
>
> In a bowl, combine 1 cup flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and
> salt. Stir in butter. Mix well. Press into greased 13x9' baking pan.
> Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes until set. Sprinkle with chocolate
> chips. Combine caramel topping and remaining flour until blended.
> Drizzle over chips. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake for 20-22 minutes until
> bubbly. Cool completely. Cut into bars.
>
> Once again a bitch to cut if not properly xet/chilled
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **
>
> The beet goes on -Alan

You know, sometimes I regret being so stupid as not to think of looking for
the bars by name in a recipe search. I just assumed that it was a made-up
name for the contents. What a dummy. But then I wouldn't have gotten all
the great replies and recipes. Thanks for you help.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 18:13:29 GMT, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

>The message >
>from "Janet Bostwick" > contains these words:
>
>> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it was
>> popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I don't remember
>> if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part is that it had a layer
>> of melted caramel or caramel incorporated somehow. The sweet also is
>> mostly
>> chocolate. Does anyone know what I'm talking about.

> "Millionaires Shortbread"?
>
>http://www.joyofbaking.com/Millionaire'sShorbreadBars.html
>
> Janet

Thanks for posting this. I'll be making it soon.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 18:13:29 GMT, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

>The message >
>from "Janet Bostwick" > contains these words:
>
>> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it was
>> popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I don't remember
>> if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part is that it had a layer
>> of melted caramel or caramel incorporated somehow. The sweet also is
>> mostly
>> chocolate. Does anyone know what I'm talking about.

> "Millionaires Shortbread"?
>
>http://www.joyofbaking.com/Millionaire'sShorbreadBars.html
>
> Janet

Thanks again for posting this. I made them over the weekend and they
are delicious. Mine aren't as pretty and the picture is a little
fuzzy but here's how they came out.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2ds4kuf.jpg

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:09:03 GMT, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

>The message >
>from Lou Decruss > contains these words:

>> Thanks again for posting this. I made them over the weekend and they
>> are delicious. Mine aren't as pretty and the picture is a little
>> fuzzy but here's how they came out.

>> http://i33.tinypic.com/2ds4kuf.jpg

> Yummy. I forgot to warn you, it's addictive. One slice and you're
>hooked for life, there is no cure.

I figured that out already. When I took that picture I ate that bar
and another one for breakfast. I don't have much of a sweet tooth but
I sure like these.

Lou