Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Name this sweet? Got recipe?

I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it was
popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I don't remember
if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part is that it had a layer
of melted caramel or caramel incorporated somehow. The sweet also is mostly
chocolate. Does anyone know what I'm talking about.

All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the recipes in
Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.

I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and caramel.
Help???
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
m:

> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it was
> popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I don't
> remember if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part is that
> it had a layer of melted caramel or caramel incorporated somehow. The
> sweet also is mostly chocolate. Does anyone know what I'm talking
> about.
>
> All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the recipes in
> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>
> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and
> caramel. Help???
> Janet

A Mars Bar??

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it was
> popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I don't remember
> if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part is that it had a layer
> of melted caramel or caramel incorporated somehow. The sweet also is mostly
> chocolate. Does anyone know what I'm talking about.
>
> All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the recipes in
> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>
> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and caramel.
> Help???
> Janet

Could it be some play on the "turtle" combination of chocolate and
caramel? Turtle cake? Turtle pie?
Sounds far too sweet for my tastes so I'm not sure if I've ever had
anything along that line but if you do a search on "turtle" perhaps it
will be fruitful for you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it
>> was popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I
>> don't remember if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part
>> is that it had a layer of melted caramel or caramel incorporated
>> somehow. The sweet also is mostly chocolate. Does anyone know what
>> I'm talking about. All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the
>> recipes in
>> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>>
>> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and
>> caramel. Help???
>> Janet

> Could it be some play on the "turtle" combination of chocolate and
> caramel? Turtle cake? Turtle pie?
> Sounds far too sweet for my tastes so I'm not sure if I've ever had
> anything along that line but if you do a search on "turtle" perhaps it
> will be fruitful for you?

Bingo! Thank you! I've never made or eaten them either, I just emember
that the recipe was everywhere at one time. Costco had a bar mix called
something like Carmelita Bars that I tried once and my husband liked.
Costco no longer carries it. So I'm looking for something like it. Thanks.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it was
> popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I don't remember
> if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part is that it had a layer
> of melted caramel or caramel incorporated somehow. The sweet also is mostly
> chocolate. Does anyone know what I'm talking about.
>
> All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the recipes in
> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>
> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and caramel.
> Help???
> Janet

If it's cakey, Turtle Cake. It has a layer of caramel and chocolate
between two thin layers of cake.

Otherwise, it could be anything based on your description.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
> m:
>
>> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it
>> was popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I don't
>> remember if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part is that
>> it had a layer of melted caramel or caramel incorporated somehow.
>> The sweet also is mostly chocolate. Does anyone know what I'm
>> talking about.
>>
>> All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the recipes in
>> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>>
>> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and
>> caramel. Help???
>> Janet
>>

> A Mars Bar??

> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia

Sorry, I didn't explain internationally. . .a bar in this sense is more like
a cookie (I suppose biscuit?) than a cake that is baked all together in a
pan and after baking is cut into 'bars.'
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> Bingo! Thank you!

> Boooo!!!!!
>
> I was 10-15 minutes late. But I got it right at least.
>
> -sw

But you wanted to help. Thank you.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it
>> was popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I
>> don't remember if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part
>> is that it had a layer of melted caramel or caramel incorporated
>> somehow. The sweet also is mostly chocolate. Does anyone know what
>> I'm talking about. All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the
>> recipes in
>> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>>
>> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and
>> caramel. Help???
>> Janet

> If it's cakey, Turtle Cake. It has a layer of caramel and chocolate
> between two thin layers of cake.
>
> Otherwise, it could be anything based on your description.
>
> -sw

Turtle was the clue I was missing and it did the trick. Thanks
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MaryL wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> m...
>> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it
>> was popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I
>> don't remember if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part
>> is that it had a layer of melted caramel or caramel incorporated
>> somehow. The sweet also is mostly chocolate. Does anyone know what
>> I'm talking about. All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the
>> recipes in
>> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>>
>> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and
>> caramel. Help???
>> Janet
>>

> A local hotel used to serve Mississippi Mud Pie. It was very sweet! This
> site lists several variations (but I haven't tried any of them):
> http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1637...234200,00.html
>
> MaryL

In reading the Mississippi Mud recipes, I see that they have marshmallow as
an ingredient and that isn't what I am looking for. Thanks for your help.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it
>> was popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I
>> don't remember if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part
>> is that it had a layer of melted caramel or caramel incorporated
>> somehow. The sweet also is mostly chocolate. Does anyone know what
>> I'm talking about. All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the
>> recipes in
>> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>>
>> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and
>> caramel. Help???
>> Janet

> Could it be some play on the "turtle" combination of chocolate and
> caramel? Turtle cake? Turtle pie?
> Sounds far too sweet for my tastes so I'm not sure if I've ever had
> anything along that line but if you do a search on "turtle" perhaps it
> will be fruitful for you?

This is the recipe that is very close to what I want. The only difference
is that the crust I want to use hase oatmeal in it and half the crust is
used as a kind of struesel topping. That's easy to fix. Thanks

TURTLE BARSTitle: Chocolate Chip Turtle Bars Categories: Cookies,
Chocolate Yield: 1 servings 3/4 c Golden crisco shortening 1
1/4 c Firmly packed brown sugar 2 tb Milk 1 tb Vanilla 1
Egg 1 3/4 c All-purpose flour 1 ts Salt 3/4 ts Baking soda 1
1/2 c Semi-sweet chocolate chips 14 oz Caramels; unwrapped 1 tb
Water 1. Heat oven to 350F (180C). Grease a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm)
pan with shortening. Place cooling rack on countertop. 2. Combine
shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium
speed of electric mixer until well blended. Beat egg into creamed mixture.
3. Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into creamed mixture just
until blended. Stir in chocolate chips. 4. Divide dough into thirds. Pat
2/3 of dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. 5. Combine caramels
and water in small saucepan. Place on very low heat. Stir constantly until
caramels melt. Spread caramel mixture over dough in pan to within 1/2 inch
(1 cm) of edge. Divide remaining dough into measuring teaspoonfuls (5
mL) and drop evenly over the caramel layer. 6. Bake at 350F (180C) for 25
to 30 minutes or until golden brown. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Loosen from sides of
pan with knife. Cool completely on rack. Cut into bars. Makes: about 2
dozen bars

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
m...
>I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it was
>popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I don't remember
>if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part is that it had a layer
>of melted caramel or caramel incorporated somehow. The sweet also is
>mostly chocolate. Does anyone know what I'm talking about.
>
> All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the recipes in
> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>
> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and caramel.
> Help???
> Janet

Mud Pie.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> m...
>> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it
>> was popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I
>> don't remember if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part
>> is that it had a layer of melted caramel or caramel incorporated
>> somehow. The sweet also is mostly chocolate. Does anyone know what
>> I'm talking about. All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the
>> recipes in
>> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>>
>> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and
>> caramel. Help???
>> Janet

> Mud Pie.
>
> Dimitri

Thank you for the idea. Mud Pie looks interesting, but the flavor other
than chocolate is coffee.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it
>>> was popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I
>>> don't remember if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part
>>> is that it had a layer of melted caramel or caramel incorporated
>>> somehow. The sweet also is mostly chocolate. Does anyone know what
>>> I'm talking about. All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the
>>> recipes in
>>> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>>>
>>> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and
>>> caramel. Help???
>>> Janet

>> Mud Pie.
>>
>> Dimitri

> Thank you for the idea. Mud Pie looks interesting, but the flavor other
> than chocolate is coffee.
> Janet

Dimitri

Turtle Pie;

No coffee

CARAMEL PECAN TURTLE PIE

FILLING:
1 bag (14 oz.) vanilla caramels
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1/2 c. heavy (whipping) cream
2 c. pecan halves, toasted
1 (6 oz.) chocolate Ready Crust (save the plastic lid)

TOPPING:
1/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tbsp. heavy (whipping) cream
2 tbsp. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

FOR DECORATION:
1 c. heavy (whipping) cream, whipped to soft peaks
Filling: Put caramels, butter and cream in a medium-size heavy saucepan.
Cook over low heat, stirring often with a whisk until caramels and butter
melt. Remove from heat and whisk until completely smooth. Stir in pecans.
Pour into pie crust. Cover with plastic lid and chill 3-4 hours until cooled
and firm.
Topping: Stir chocolate chips and butter in a small heavy saucepan over corn
syrup and vanilla until blended. Pour over pie. Chill at least 1 hour. Just
before serving, decorate top with dollops of whipped cream. Makes 10
servings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> Dimitri wrote:
>>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> m...

>>> Mud Pie.
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> Thank you for the idea. Mud Pie looks interesting, but the flavor
>> other than chocolate is coffee.
>> Janet

> Dimitri
>
> Turtle Pie;
>
> No coffee
>
> CARAMEL PECAN TURTLE PIE
>
> FILLING:
> 1 bag (14 oz.) vanilla caramels
> 1/2 c. unsalted butter
> 1/2 c. heavy (whipping) cream
> 2 c. pecan halves, toasted
> 1 (6 oz.) chocolate Ready Crust (save the plastic lid)
>
> TOPPING:
> 1/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
> 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
> 2 tbsp. heavy (whipping) cream
> 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
> 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
>
> FOR DECORATION:
> 1 c. heavy (whipping) cream, whipped to soft peaks
> Filling: Put caramels, butter and cream in a medium-size heavy
> saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring often with a whisk until
> caramels and butter melt. Remove from heat and whisk until completely
> smooth. Stir in pecans. Pour into pie crust. Cover with plastic lid
> and chill 3-4 hours until cooled and firm.
> Topping: Stir chocolate chips and butter in a small heavy saucepan
> over corn syrup and vanilla until blended. Pour over pie. Chill at
> least 1 hour. Just before serving, decorate top with dollops of
> whipped cream. Makes 10 servings.

There you go. . .turtles it is. Thanks
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
m:

> PeterLucas wrote:
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
>> m:
>>
>>> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it
>>> was popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I
>>> don't remember if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part
>>> is that it had a layer of melted caramel or caramel incorporated
>>> somehow. The sweet also is mostly chocolate. Does anyone know what
>>> I'm talking about.
>>>
>>> All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the recipes in
>>> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>>>
>>> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and
>>> caramel. Help???
>>> Janet
>>>

>> A Mars Bar??

> Sorry, I didn't explain internationally. . .a bar in this sense is
> more like a cookie (I suppose biscuit?) than a cake that is baked all
> together in a pan and after baking is cut into 'bars.'
> Janet

Oh Ok.

How about a Caramel slice/bar??

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9164...+caramel+slice

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it was
> popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I don't remember
> if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part is that it had a layer
> of melted caramel or caramel incorporated somehow. The sweet also is mostly
> chocolate. Does anyone know what I'm talking about.
>
> All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the recipes in
> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>
> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and caramel.
> Help???
> Janet

Are you talking about the caramel swirl brownie recipe?
It is made with either scratch or boxed brownie mix
and melted caramels with the addition of either butter
or egg (can't remember which.) It's delicious.

I can probably find the recipe with a not-so-quick
search and would be glad to if you're not in a hurry.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
> m:
>
>> PeterLucas wrote:
>>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
>>> m:

>>> A Mars Bar??

>> Sorry, I didn't explain internationally. . .a bar in this sense is
>> more like a cookie (I suppose biscuit?) than a cake that is baked
>> all together in a pan and after baking is cut into 'bars.'
>> Janet
>>

> Oh Ok.
>
> How about a Caramel slice/bar??
>
> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9164...+caramel+slice
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia

Oh, my. . .that sounds good. I wonder what a US substitute for copha would
be? Would you describe it for me? Wikipedia says it produces a rather wasy
chocolate coating? If you are familiar with the Caramel bars, could you
describe the frosting? I have no problem getting Golden syrup, but the
copha is a problem.
Thanks
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:

<snip>

> There you go. . .turtles it is. Thanks
> Janet

My FIL before he passed and still today had the most vicious but controlled
sweet tooth, maybe in all of history. Every year on the way to vacation we
would stop and a famous little joint in Cayucos Ca called the Sea Shanty.
It was famous for Clam Chowder and their desserts. We would top off a bowl
with a slice of Mud Pie and several spoons. He and I demolished most of
the ice-cream.

The year he had a massive heart attack and a quadruple bypass my daughters
made home a poster. It said "GRAND-PA WE LOVE YOU MORE THAN YOU LOVE
CHOCOLATE!

A touching thought. When he came to from the operation but still full of
narcotics the girls read the poster to him. His reply from the drug induced
stupor was " IMPOSSIBLE" we all laughed our selves silly. Why did we laugh,
we new he was being truthful.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message >
> from "Janet Bostwick" > contains these words:
>
>> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it
>> was popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I
>> don't remember if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part
>> is that it had a layer of melted caramel or caramel incorporated
>> somehow. The sweet also is mostly
>> chocolate. Does anyone know what I'm talking about.

> "Millionaires Shortbread"?
>
> http://www.joyofbaking.com/Millionaire'sShorbreadBars.html
>
> Janet

Peter Lucas recommended Caramel slices and they turn out to be your
Millionaires Shortbread. Your recipe solves a problem in getting one of the
ingredients in Peter's recipe. Thanks. The Millionaires Shortbread sounds
wonderful.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message >
> from "Janet Bostwick" > contains these words:
>
>> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it
>> was popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I
>> don't remember if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part
>> is that it had a layer of melted caramel or caramel incorporated
>> somehow. The sweet also is mostly
>> chocolate. Does anyone know what I'm talking about.

> "Millionaires Shortbread"?
>
> http://www.joyofbaking.com/Millionaire'sShorbreadBars.html
>
> Janet

We just got an invitation to Thanksgiving dinner. I described the recipe
(Millionaires Shortbread) that I was copying and I was told to bring them as
well as some fresh-baked bread. Thank you!
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> Dimitri wrote:

> <snip>
>
>> There you go. . .turtles it is. Thanks
>> Janet

> My FIL before he passed and still today had the most vicious but
> controlled sweet tooth, maybe in all of history. Every year on the
> way to vacation we would stop and a famous little joint in Cayucos Ca
> called the Sea Shanty. It was famous for Clam Chowder and their
> desserts. We would top off a bowl with a slice of Mud Pie and
> several spoons. He and I demolished most of the ice-cream.
>
> The year he had a massive heart attack and a quadruple bypass my
> daughters made home a poster. It said "GRAND-PA WE LOVE YOU MORE
> THAN YOU LOVE CHOCOLATE!
>
> A touching thought. When he came to from the operation but still
> full of narcotics the girls read the poster to him. His reply from
> the drug induced stupor was " IMPOSSIBLE" we all laughed our selves
> silly. Why did we laugh, we new he was being truthful.
>

> Dimitri

That is a strong recommendation for mud pie. I don't have an overwhelming
sweet tooth, but when it strikes there must be something of quality nearby.
Thanks again.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
m:

>> How about a Caramel slice/bar??
>>
>> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9164...+caramel+slice
>>

> Oh, my. . .that sounds good. I wonder what a US substitute for copha
> would be? Would you describe it for me?

It's a solidified coconut oil.

"There is a product identical to Copha that is a little more available
in the U.S. You can often find it in European delicatessens. It is
sold under the name of Palmin in the 250g block. Again, it is exactly
the same as Copha. I got mine at Dittmer's Gourmet Meats and Wursthaus
at 400 San Antonio Road, Mountain View, CA,"

>Wikipedia says it produces a
> rather wasy chocolate coating? If you are familiar with the Caramel
> bars, could you describe the frosting?

It's the same 'finish' as we use for our Chocolate Crackles. A solid
chocolate (not a soft frosting type) but without the harsh flavour of
the cooking chocolate. Also, it won't melt/go softer (like a frosting
will) at room temp.

>I have no problem getting
> Golden syrup, but the copha is a problem.

You could try that Palmin (above), or try this site.......

http://aussiecatalog.com/store/item/...ker/Copha.html

and while you're at it, try this one :-)

http://aussiecatalog.com/store/item/...preads/Promite
..html

And here's another version without the copha......

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/20...caramel-slice-
recipe.html

and one using butter instead of copha......

http://tinyurl.com/62jdo3

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=43599

The consensus seems to be to use good quality eating chocloate instead
of cooking chocolate.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> Dimitri
>
> Turtle Pie;
>
> No coffee
>
> CARAMEL PECAN TURTLE PIE
>
> FILLING:
> 1 bag (14 oz.) vanilla caramels
> 1/2 c. unsalted butter
> 1/2 c. heavy (whipping) cream
> 2 c. pecan halves, toasted
> 1 (6 oz.) chocolate Ready Crust (save the plastic lid)
>
> TOPPING:
> 1/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
> 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
> 2 tbsp. heavy (whipping) cream
> 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
> 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
>
> FOR DECORATION:
> 1 c. heavy (whipping) cream, whipped to soft peaks
> Filling: Put caramels, butter and cream in a medium-size heavy
> saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring often with a whisk until
> caramels and butter melt. Remove from heat and whisk until completely
> smooth. Stir in pecans. Pour into pie crust. Cover with plastic lid
> and chill 3-4 hours until cooled and firm.
> Topping: Stir chocolate chips and butter in a small heavy saucepan
> over corn syrup and vanilla until blended. Pour over pie. Chill at
> least 1 hour. Just before serving, decorate top with dollops of
> whipped cream. Makes 10 servings.

Thanks for the recipe. I should stay away from high calorie recipes
like this, but I will make the exception. :-P

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
> m:
>

>>> How about a Caramel slice/bar??
>>>
>>> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9164...+caramel+slice
>>>

>> Oh, my. . .that sounds good. I wonder what a US substitute for copha
>> would be? Would you describe it for me?

> It's a solidified coconut oil.
>
> "There is a product identical to Copha that is a little more available
> in the U.S. You can often find it in European delicatessens. It is
> sold under the name of Palmin in the 250g block. Again, it is exactly
> the same as Copha. I got mine at Dittmer's Gourmet Meats and
> Wursthaus at 400 San Antonio Road, Mountain View, CA,"
>

>> Wikipedia says it produces a
>> rather wasy chocolate coating? If you are familiar with the Caramel
>> bars, could you describe the frosting?

> It's the same 'finish' as we use for our Chocolate Crackles. A solid
> chocolate (not a soft frosting type) but without the harsh flavour of
> the cooking chocolate. Also, it won't melt/go softer (like a frosting
> will) at room temp.
>

>> I have no problem getting
>> Golden syrup, but the copha is a problem.

> You could try that Palmin (above), or try this site.......
>
> http://aussiecatalog.com/store/item/...ker/Copha.html
>
> and while you're at it, try this one :-)
>
> http://aussiecatalog.com/store/item/...preads/Promite
> .html
>

> And here's another version without the copha......
>
> http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/20...caramel-slice-
> recipe.html
>
> and one using butter instead of copha......
>
> http://tinyurl.com/62jdo3
>
> http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=43599
>
> The consensus seems to be to use good quality eating chocloate instead
> of cooking chocolate.
>

> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia

Thanks for all your help, Peter.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
m:

> Thanks for all your help, Peter.

No worries.

Now *I've* got a hankering for Caramel Slice!!! :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message >
> from "Janet Bostwick" > contains these words:
>
>> Janet Baraclough wrote:
>>> The message >
>>> from "Janet Bostwick" > contains these words:

>>> "Millionaires Shortbread"?
>>>
>>> http://www.joyofbaking.com/Millionaire'sShorbreadBars.html
>>>
>>> Janet

>> We just got an invitation to Thanksgiving dinner. I described the
>> recipe (Millionaires Shortbread) that I was copying and I was told
>> to bring them as
>> well as some fresh-baked bread. Thank you!
>> Janet

> They are very popular in tearooms here in Scotland.
>
> I suggest you cut the slices quite small; it's very sweet and rich
> :-)
>
> Janet.

That sounds like a good idea. . .the pictures seem to show a larger size
piece. Thanks again
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it
>> was popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I
>> don't remember if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part
>> is that it had a layer of melted caramel or caramel incorporated
>> somehow. The sweet also is mostly chocolate. Does anyone know what
>> I'm talking about. All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the
>> recipes in
>> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>>
>> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and
>> caramel. Help???
>> Janet
>>

> Are you talking about the caramel swirl brownie recipe?
> It is made with either scratch or boxed brownie mix
> and melted caramels with the addition of either butter
> or egg (can't remember which.) It's delicious.
>
> I can probably find the recipe with a not-so-quick
> search and would be glad to if you're not in a hurry.
>
> gloria p

Would you see if you can find it for me when you have time? I was only able
to find brownies with caramel sauce. I appreciate your help.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> Would you see if you can find it for me when you have time? I was only able
> to find brownies with caramel sauce. I appreciate your help.
> Janet

Look for something called Turtle Bars. Common to church cookbooks.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> Gloria P wrote:

> > Are you talking about the caramel swirl brownie recipe?
> > It is made with either scratch or boxed brownie mix
> > and melted caramels with the addition of either butter
> > or egg (can't remember which.) It's delicious.
> >
> > I can probably find the recipe with a not-so-quick
> > search and would be glad to if you're not in a hurry.
> >
> > gloria p

> Would you see if you can find it for me when you have time? I was
> only able to find brownies with caramel sauce. I appreciate your
> help. Janet

This is the one I've always seen. I've made it, but with fudge
chocolate cake mix rather than German.

1 (14 oz.) pkg. caramels
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1 box (18 1/2 oz.) German chocolate cake mix
3/4 c. softened butter
1 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
12 oz. semisweet chocolate pieces

Combine caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk in a deep mixing bowl.
Microwave on medium high for 3 minutes. Combine cake mix, remaining
milk and softened butter. Blend until mixture holds together, stir in
nuts. Press one half of cake mixture in a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake 6
minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate pieces
on top. Pour melted caramels evenly over chocolate pieces. Crumble
remaining cake mix over caramel and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20
minutes. Cool slightly and cut into bars. Serve.

<http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1810,159172-229207,00.html>

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> Gloria P wrote:

>>> Are you talking about the caramel swirl brownie recipe?
>>> It is made with either scratch or boxed brownie mix
>>> and melted caramels with the addition of either butter
>>> or egg (can't remember which.) It's delicious.
>>>
>>> I can probably find the recipe with a not-so-quick
>>> search and would be glad to if you're not in a hurry.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Would you see if you can find it for me when you have time? I was
>> only able to find brownies with caramel sauce. I appreciate your
>> help. Janet

> This is the one I've always seen. I've made it, but with fudge
> chocolate cake mix rather than German.
>
> 1 (14 oz.) pkg. caramels
> 2/3 c. evaporated milk
> 1 box (18 1/2 oz.) German chocolate cake mix
> 3/4 c. softened butter
> 1 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
> 12 oz. semisweet chocolate pieces
>
> Combine caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk in a deep mixing bowl.
> Microwave on medium high for 3 minutes. Combine cake mix, remaining
> milk and softened butter. Blend until mixture holds together, stir in
> nuts. Press one half of cake mixture in a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake
> 6 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate
> pieces on top. Pour melted caramels evenly over chocolate pieces.
> Crumble remaining cake mix over caramel and bake at 350 degrees for
> 15 to 20 minutes. Cool slightly and cut into bars. Serve.
>
> <http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1810,159172-229207,00.html>
>

> Brian

Thanks, Brian. That looks easy enough. I had no idea there was something
like that around.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article > ,
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>
>> Would you see if you can find it for me when you have time? I was
>> only able to find brownies with caramel sauce. I appreciate your
>> help.
>> Janet

> Look for something called Turtle Bars. Common to church cookbooks.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

I couldn't find the brownies as described by Gloria Default User provided
such a recipe. Thanks
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterLucas" schrieb :
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
> m:
>

>>> How about a Caramel slice/bar??
>>>
>>> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9164...+caramel+slice
>>>

>> Oh, my. . .that sounds good. I wonder what a US substitute for copha
>> would be? Would you describe it for me?

> It's a solidified coconut oil.
>
> "There is a product identical to Copha that is a little more available
> in the U.S. You can often find it in European delicatessens. It is
> sold under the name of Palmin in the 250g block. Again, it is exactly
> the same as Copha. I got mine at Dittmer's Gourmet Meats and Wursthaus
> at 400 San Antonio Road, Mountain View, CA,"

<snip>
If the German deli doesn't carry the brand Palmin, one could ask for
"Kokosfett". That's the German word for solidified coconut oil.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> This is the one I've always seen. I've made it, but with fudge
> chocolate cake mix rather than German.
>
> 1 (14 oz.) pkg. caramels
> 2/3 c. evaporated milk
> 1 box (18 1/2 oz.) German chocolate cake mix
> 3/4 c. softened butter
> 1 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
> 12 oz. semisweet chocolate pieces
>
> Combine caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk in a deep mixing bowl.
> Microwave on medium high for 3 minutes. Combine cake mix, remaining
> milk and softened butter. Blend until mixture holds together, stir in
> nuts. Press one half of cake mixture in a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake 6
> minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate pieces
> on top. Pour melted caramels evenly over chocolate pieces. Crumble
> remaining cake mix over caramel and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20
> minutes. Cool slightly and cut into bars. Serve.

YES!!! That's the one I was thinking of but I kept remembering
(wrongly) that it was made with brownie mix. No wonder I couldn't
find it by googling.

Thanks, Brian!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article > ,
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>>
>>> Would you see if you can find it for me when you have time? I was
>>> only able to find brownies with caramel sauce. I appreciate your
>>> help.
>>> Janet

>> Look for something called Turtle Bars. Common to church cookbooks.
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

> I couldn't find the brownies as described by Gloria Default User provided
> such a recipe. Thanks
> Janet

That's because Gloria had a Senior Moment and wrongly remembered the
recipe Brian posted as being made with brownie mix instead of cake mix.
I don't see any reason you couldn't make it with either as long as you
had the right ingredients for the caramel part. Ialways mare it with a
Devil's food or fudge cake mix rather than German Chocolate because I
always associated the latter (wrongly, I guess) with coconut. (Eeeuw.)

This used to be a big hit at meetings as was the cream-cheese swirl
brownie recipe.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Look for something called Turtle Bars. Common to church cookbooks.
>>> --
>>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

>> I couldn't find the brownies as described by Gloria Default User
>> provided such a recipe. Thanks
>> Janet

> That's because Gloria had a Senior Moment and wrongly remembered the
> recipe Brian posted as being made with brownie mix instead of cake mix.
> I don't see any reason you couldn't make it with either as long as you
> had the right ingredients for the caramel part. Ialways mare it with a
> Devil's food or fudge cake mix rather than German Chocolate because I
> always associated the latter (wrongly, I guess) with coconut. (Eeeuw.)

Finally someone else who doesn't like coconut! Yesssss!

> This used to be a big hit at meetings as was the cream-cheese swirl
> brownie recipe.
>
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> Default User wrote:
> > This is the one I've always seen. I've made it, but with fudge
> > chocolate cake mix rather than German.

> YES!!! That's the one I was thinking of but I kept remembering
> (wrongly) that it was made with brownie mix. No wonder I couldn't
> find it by googling.

It's pretty good. As I mentioned, I like it better with darker cake
mix, fudge or devil's food. You can also make a blonde version with
yellow cake mix and butterscotch chips.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Look for something called Turtle Bars. Common to church cookbooks.
>>> --
>>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

>> I couldn't find the brownies as described by Gloria Default User
>> provided such a recipe. Thanks
>> Janet
>>

> That's because Gloria had a Senior Moment and wrongly remembered the
> recipe Brian posted as being made with brownie mix instead of cake
> mix. I don't see any reason you couldn't make it with either as long
> as you had the right ingredients for the caramel part. Ialways mare
> it with a Devil's food or fudge cake mix rather than German Chocolate
> because I always associated the latter (wrongly, I guess) with
> coconut. (Eeeuw.)
> This used to be a big hit at meetings as was the cream-cheese swirl
> brownie recipe.
>
> gloria p

Senior Moments I understand. Too well. Thanks for remembering me ;o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
m:

> I can't remember the name of what I'm looking for, but I think it was
> popularized in the min-80's right after Mississippi Mud. I don't
> remember if it was a cake or a gooey bar. The important part is that
> it had a layer of melted caramel or caramel incorporated somehow. The
> sweet also is mostly chocolate. Does anyone know what I'm talking
> about.
>
> All I can think of is Mississippi Mud and reading the recipes in
> Recipesource, I can see that isn't what I want.
>
> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and
> caramel. Help???
> Janet

No Idea of what you are looking for; but try this. You have to beat people
away from this with a stick.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

**Rice Crispie Chocolate Caramel Bars **

bars/squares, tested

1- 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, chilled
14 oz. pkg. caramels, unwrapped
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter
1-3/4 cups crisp rice cereal

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine flour and powdered sugar in large bowl and mix well.
Cut in 1/2 cup chilled butter until particles are fine and butter is well
distributed.

Press into a 13x9' pan and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until
light golden brown. *MORE LIKE 15-20 MINUTES*
In heavy skillet, melt caramels, milk, and 1/4 cup butter over low heat,
stirring frequently until melted and smooth. Spread over baked crust.

In another saucepan, melt chocolate chips and 1/4 cup butter, stirring
until smooth. Stir in cereal. Drop this mixture by spoonfuls over caramel
and carefully spread to cover. Cool completely, then cut into squares. 48
bars

Note...this needs to sit over night for the crust and caramels to set
properly.. Don't even think to cut these until they've
reallychilled/set...too gooey.

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
> m:

snip
>> I'm basically interested in some kind of bar with chocolate and
>> caramel. Help???
>> Janet

> No Idea of what you are looking for; but try this. You have to beat
> people away from this with a stick.
>

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> **Rice Crispie Chocolate Caramel Bars **
>
> bars/squares, tested
>
> 1- 1/4 cups flour
> 1/2 cup powdered sugar
> 1/2 cup butter, chilled
> 14 oz. pkg. caramels, unwrapped
> 1/3 cup milk
> 1/4 cup butter
> 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
> 1 cup milk chocolate chips
> 1/4 cup butter
> 1-3/4 cups crisp rice cereal
>
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
>
> Combine flour and powdered sugar in large bowl and mix well.
> Cut in 1/2 cup chilled butter until particles are fine and butter is
> well distributed.
>
> Press into a 13x9' pan and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until
> light golden brown. *MORE LIKE 15-20 MINUTES*
> In heavy skillet, melt caramels, milk, and 1/4 cup butter over low
> heat, stirring frequently until melted and smooth. Spread over baked
> crust.
>
> In another saucepan, melt chocolate chips and 1/4 cup butter, stirring
> until smooth. Stir in cereal. Drop this mixture by spoonfuls over
> caramel and carefully spread to cover. Cool completely, then cut into
> squares. 48 bars
>
> Note...this needs to sit over night for the crust and caramels to set
> properly.. Don't even think to cut these until they've
> reallychilled/set...too gooey.
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **
>

> The beet goes on -Alan

I originally asked for help finding a caramel recipe because I couldn't find
the mix for Carmelita bars at Costco anymore. Your recipe looks to exactly
reproduce the Carmelita bars. Thanks a lot. Everyone has been so helpful.
I didn't realized that there were others out there that liked caramel and
chocolate together.
Thanks
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
m:

> I originally asked for help finding a caramel recipe because I
> couldn't find the mix for Carmelita bars at Costco anymore. Your
> recipe looks to exactly reproduce the Carmelita bars. Thanks a lot.
> Everyone has been so helpful. I didn't realized that there were others
> out there that liked caramel and chocolate together.
> Thanks
> Janet

Spreading the chocolate covered rice cripies evenly in said recipe is a
royal pain (care must be taken)...but the finished product is worth the
effort.

Every Xmas me and the daughter make several trays of this and every year we
eat one tray before it sets up...gooey and messy but worth it. OF course
this has become a well known fact and people find excuses to be there and
get included in the messy tradition.

--

The beet goes on -Alan