Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Looking for sweet tamale recipe

Does anyone have a recipe to make sweet tamales? I am on a mission to
master and perfect sweet tamales for the holidays.

Thx in advance
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:26:41 GMT, kliserup > wrote:

>Does anyone have a recipe to make sweet tamales? I am on a mission to
>master and perfect sweet tamales for the holidays.
>
>Thx in advance

I don't make them, I just eat them. Have you seen these sites?
http://www.ehow.com/how_10717_make-c...iles-with.html
http://www.progressotamale.com/recip...t_tamales.html
http://www.peoplesguide.com/1pages/c...es-taylor.html
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recip...gtamales3.html

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kliserup wrote:

> Does anyone have a recipe to make sweet tamales? I am on a mission to
> master and perfect sweet tamales for the holidays.
>
> Thx in advance

Do you know how to make the masa? Around here it can be bought frozen
but the dried masa is common as well. They need further preparation for
tamales.

The masa needs to be beaten with lard and a little salt: about a cup or
so of lard to about 4 cups masa, frozen or reconstituted. For sweet
tamales can add sugar to taste. Beat that until a spoon of masa will
float in a cup of cold water; the mixer works just fine here medium
speed.Can add a little water if it gets too stiff; needs to be thick but
spreadable.Can be made the night before and refrigerated covered. Let
come to room temp before using.

Need dried cornhusks; bought in any supermarket around here (the SW) but
don't know where you live... Those need to be soaked in hot/boiling
water until soft/pliable. Pat dry before using.

For the filling it doesn't matter as there are many combinations: dried
fruits/nuts, pineapple/raisins, raisins/nuts, dates/coconut/nuts,
berries (cranberries might be good here) etc. Whatever you like to eat
will work. Sweeten the filling to taste and season with cinnamon and
spices of choice. Slightly juicy is fine; it will soak into the masa.
Cook the fillings if necessary.

Take a cornhusk, slather on the masa starting at the broader end of the
husk, leaving the edges of the husk clear. Place a spoonful or so of
filling on the masa. Fold each long edge of the husk over the filling
and then fold the narrow edge up over the wider edge. They can be tied
with strips torn off the cornhusks. Some people fold over both edges but
I'm lazy LOL!

Line your steamer basket with cornhusks (the torn/misshapen ones will
work here), fill with water to the appropriate level and stand the
tamales with the open edge upwards. Cover, bring the water to a boil and
steam the tamales until they are done. Depending on how many and how
large the steamer, could take over an hour.Have boiling water to the
ready if needed to top up the steamer. The tamales are ready when the
masa has solidified and doesn't stick to the cornhusk.

Anyway that's how I do it; other people will say it isn't right LOL.

There are a lot of recipes for sweet tamales on the Web; didn't see one
with pictures of how to fold the tamales. Could try looking for a
regular tamale recipe if you need to pics.

Good luck and buen provecho!