Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spats - quick reply needed.......

Got some nice cheap sprats today.

So, is it necessary to de-head and de-gut them, seeing
they're so tiny - I'm going to cook them in rice.

Quick reply appreciated as I want to start cooking about 21:30 BST.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gill Smith" > wrote in message
et...
> Got some nice cheap sprats today.
>
> So, is it necessary to de-head and de-gut them, seeing
> they're so tiny - I'm going to cook them in rice.
>
> Quick reply appreciated as I want to start cooking about 21:30 BST.

Not required. Some folks chop the head and tail off though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message

> "Gill Smith" > wrote in message
> et...
>> Got some nice cheap sprats today.
>>
>> So, is it necessary to de-head and de-gut them, seeing
>> they're so tiny - I'm going to cook them in rice.
>>
>> Quick reply appreciated as I want to start cooking about 21:30 BST.

> Not required. Some folks chop the head and tail off though.

Many thanks!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lzSPAl3l5tc

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gill Smith wrote:
> Got some nice cheap sprats today.
>
> So, is it necessary to de-head and de-gut them, seeing
> they're so tiny - I'm going to cook them in rice.
>
> Quick reply appreciated as I want to start cooking about 21:30 BST.

Anything under 3" can be cooked whole, but that's a matter of personal
preference.

At 3-4" I chip their heads off and squeeze out the guts.

At 5" I cut off the head and split their bellies.

That my rule for fried smelts, at least. If I were wet cooking them
like you are, then I might want to gut them at any size.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I looked at the Subject header and thought I was going to learn
about a whole new food item...

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> I looked at the Subject header and thought I was going to learn
>> about a whole new food item...

> Heck, I thought it was about *shoes*...
>
> ;-)

Sure, but I didn't fall for the obvious, and thought that might be a
new euphemism for something like "turkey feet".

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> I looked at the Subject header and thought I was going to learn
> about a whole new food item...

Heck, I thought it was about *shoes*...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
> > Blinky the Shark wrote:
> >
> >> I looked at the Subject header and thought I was going to learn
> >> about a whole new food item...

> > Heck, I thought it was about *shoes*...
> >
> > ;-)

> Sure, but I didn't fall for the obvious, and thought that might be a
> new euphemism for something like "turkey feet".

This is getting kinda Ernie Kovacs - ish...

[His widow, the fabulous Edie Adams, has just passed on at the age of 81
:-( ]

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 16 Oct 2008 03:08:15p, Blinky the Shark told us...

> I looked at the Subject header and thought I was going to learn
> about a whole new food item...

Something like foot in mouth right up to the spats?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 10(X)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
3wks 4dys 6hrs 37mins
By all means, let's not confuse
ourselves with the facts!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

> Gill Smith wrote:
>> Got some nice cheap sprats today.
>>
>> So, is it necessary to de-head and de-gut them, seeing
>> they're so tiny - I'm going to cook them in rice.
>>
>> Quick reply appreciated as I want to start cooking about 21:30 BST.

> Anything under 3" can be cooked whole, but that's a matter of personal
> preference.
>
> At 3-4" I chip their heads off and squeeze out the guts.
>
> At 5" I cut off the head and split their bellies.
>
> That my rule for fried smelts, at least. If I were wet cooking them
> like you are, then I might want to gut them at any size.

Despite the a-holes, Gill, I'd be wondering how this turned
out for you. Lettuce know if you can.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Gill Smith wrote:
>>> Got some nice cheap sprats today.
>>>
>>> So, is it necessary to de-head and de-gut them, seeing
>>> they're so tiny - I'm going to cook them in rice.
>>>
>>> Quick reply appreciated as I want to start cooking about 21:30 BST.

>> Anything under 3" can be cooked whole, but that's a matter of personal
>> preference.
>>
>> At 3-4" I chip their heads off and squeeze out the guts.
>>
>> At 5" I cut off the head and split their bellies.
>>
>> That my rule for fried smelts, at least. If I were wet cooking them
>> like you are, then I might want to gut them at any size.

> Despite the a-holes, Gill, I'd be wondering how this turned
> out for you. Lettuce know if you can.

They were very nice. I did de-gut and dehead.

Think I'll buy more in future because the really nice thing is not having
to bother about the bones.

Couldn't work out why folks were talking about shoes - until I re-read the
title. Laughed myself then.