Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2008-10-16) NS-RFC: Powdered milk

http://www.recfoodcooking.com
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Damn! I was hanging out and STILL missed the TFH!!! :-)

I was #5.

<sigh>
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Powdered milk is good for emergencies.

If it can be chilled it's OK if you're used to fat-free milk. Warm, it's
awful stuff!

Andy
Voter #4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

Wow, I think this was the first time MCNL all the way through

I keep it on hand in my emergency supply kit. Powdered milk is better than
no milk. I also keep canned condensed milk (not the sweetened stuff) on
hand.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> ChattyCathy said...
>
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Powdered milk is good for emergencies.
>
> If it can be chilled it's OK if you're used to fat-free milk. Warm, it's
> awful stuff!
>
> Andy
> Voter #4

I only use it for making yogurt.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Damn! I was hanging out and STILL missed the TFH!!! :-)
>
> I was #5.
>
> <sigh>

How rude <veg>

Well, if nobody else owns up to voting first, you are welcome to one ;-)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > ChattyCathy > wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> > Damn! I was hanging out and STILL missed the TFH!!! :-)
> >
> > I was #5.
> >
> > <sigh>

> How rude <veg>
>
> Well, if nobody else owns up to voting first, you are welcome to one ;-)

That's ok. :-) I'll live...

and snatch it officially one of these years!

I try to be a good sport. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> Andy <q> wrote:
>
> > ChattyCathy said...
> >
> >> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> > Powdered milk is good for emergencies.

> Tell that to the kidlette <lol>
> >
> > If it can be chilled it's OK if you're used to fat-free milk. Warm,
> > it's awful stuff!
> >
> > Andy
> > Voter #4

> Heh. I hate the stuff reconstituted - blech, chilled or not. However,
> (between you and me) when I was a child I used to like to eat it 'dry'
> by the spoonful...

It _is_ sweet!
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy said...
>>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> Powdered milk is good for emergencies.

> Tell that to the kidlette <lol>
>> If it can be chilled it's OK if you're used to fat-free milk. Warm,
>> it's awful stuff!
>>
>> Andy
>> Voter #4

> Heh. I hate the stuff reconstituted - blech, chilled or not. However,
> (between you and me) when I was a child I used to like to eat it 'dry'
> by the spoonful...

I have it on hand for the bread machine only. My mother used to try and
trick us kids into drinking it. We always knew though. Maybe it was the
crusty powder clinging to the lip of milk jug? ;-)

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote:

> ChattyCathy said...
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Powdered milk is good for emergencies.

Tell that to the kidlette <lol>

> If it can be chilled it's OK if you're used to fat-free milk. Warm,
> it's awful stuff!
>
> Andy
> Voter #4

Heh. I hate the stuff reconstituted - blech, chilled or not. However,
(between you and me) when I was a child I used to like to eat it 'dry'
by the spoonful...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Tracy > wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
> > Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> >> ChattyCathy said...

> >> Powdered milk is good for emergencies.

> > Tell that to the kidlette <lol>
> >> If it can be chilled it's OK if you're used to fat-free milk. Warm,
> >> it's awful stuff!
> >>
> >> Andy
> >> Voter #4

> > Heh. I hate the stuff reconstituted - blech, chilled or not. However,
> > (between you and me) when I was a child I used to like to eat it 'dry'
> > by the spoonful...

> I have it on hand for the bread machine only. My mother used to try and
> trick us kids into drinking it. We always knew though. Maybe it was the
> crusty powder clinging to the lip of milk jug? ;-)
>
> -Tracy

It just has a "certain" flavor.

One I always enjoyed tho' was "Milkman Brand" with the "kiss of cream"
as they put it. That one is actually good.
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> ChattyCathy said...
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Powdered milk is good for emergencies.
>
> If it can be chilled it's OK if you're used to fat-free milk. Warm, it's
> awful stuff!
>
> Andy

When I was a kid my best friend's mother used to mix real milk with powered
mix. Even then IMHO not very good.

I am now keeping UHL milk* on hand.

*"UHT Full Cream milk is obtained from healthy cows.
The quality and goodness is kept fresh for longer due to the UHT process
(Ultra High Temperature) and special packaging that allows the product to be
stored unopened for a period of 9 months without refrigeration. The product
contains no preservatives. UHT Full Cream Milk should be refrigerated and
consumed within 4 days after it has been opened."

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Wow, I think this was the first time MCNL all the way through

That's what it's there for <lol>

> I keep it on hand in my emergency supply kit. Powdered milk is better
> than
> no milk.

I'll have to agree to disagree about that. I'd rather drink my tea with
no milk than add powdered milk to my 'morning cuppa'. Same goes for
that stuff they call 'coffee creamer' here (that costs an arm and a
leg) - blech.

> I also keep canned condensed milk (not the sweetened stuff)
> on hand.

I've never seen unsweetened condensed milk here. But we can get canned
evaporated milk which is indeed unsweetened - and is OK for certain
things; it's certainly better than that powdered 'crap'.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> (between you and me) when I was a child I used to like to eat it 'dry'
> by the spoonful...

You make me wonder about it's usefullness as a coffee "creamer?"

Probably cheap coffee to match? <VBG>

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Damn! I was hanging out and STILL missed the TFH!!! :-)
>
> I was #5.
>
> <sigh>

I was #2 and I'd jumped right on it! My hats are all worn out,
I need new ones.

I can't stand powdered milk, it would never be an economical
choice because I'd never substitute it in my raisin bran or
any other uses I have for milk.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:

> When I was a kid my best friend's mother used to mix real milk with
> powered
> mix. Even then IMHO not very good.
>
> I am now keeping UHL milk* on hand.
>
> *"UHT Full Cream milk is obtained from healthy cows.
> The quality and goodness is kept fresh for longer due to the UHT
> process (Ultra High Temperature) and special packaging that allows the
> product to be stored unopened for a period of 9 months without
> refrigeration. The product contains no preservatives. UHT Full Cream
> Milk should be refrigerated and consumed within 4 days after it has
> been opened."
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

We get that UHT milk here too. It's not *too* bad in taste, but it still
doesn't taste as good as fresh, IMHO.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy said...

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> Wow, I think this was the first time MCNL all the way through

> That's what it's there for <lol>
>>
>> I keep it on hand in my emergency supply kit. Powdered milk is better
>> than
>> no milk.

> I'll have to agree to disagree about that. I'd rather drink my tea with
> no milk than add powdered milk to my 'morning cuppa'. Same goes for
> that stuff they call 'coffee creamer' here (that costs an arm and a
> leg) - blech.
>
>> I also keep canned condensed milk (not the sweetened stuff)
>> on hand.

> I've never seen unsweetened condensed milk here. But we can get canned
> evaporated milk which is indeed unsweetened - and is OK for certain
> things; it's certainly better than that powdered 'crap'.

Cathy,

The evaporated canned milk (vitamins A & D added) is sweet due to the
evaporation of water but not the sugars.

Powdered milk also reconstitutes with the normal amount of sugar found in
most milks (not all grades).

My fat-free bottled milk can't escape the sugar content of most other milk
grades either.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Andy <q> wrote:
>>
>>> ChattyCathy said...

>>> Powdered milk is good for emergencies.

>> Tell that to the kidlette <lol>
>>> If it can be chilled it's OK if you're used to fat-free milk. Warm,
>>> it's awful stuff!
>>>
>>> Andy
>>> Voter #4

>> Heh. I hate the stuff reconstituted - blech, chilled or not. However,
>> (between you and me) when I was a child I used to like to eat it 'dry'
>> by the spoonful...

> I have it on hand for the bread machine only. My mother used to try and
> trick us kids into drinking it. We always knew though. Maybe it was the
> crusty powder clinging to the lip of milk jug? ;-)
>
> -Tracy

Your mom didn't make it right then. My mom made powdered milk in the
blender. Once it was cold it was as good as skim milk.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote:

> Cathy,
>
> The evaporated canned milk (vitamins A & D added) is sweet due to the
> evaporation of water but not the sugars.

Yabut, it's not as 'sweet' as the condensed milk with added sweetener
that we get here which is 'sickly sweet', IMHO.

> Powdered milk also reconstitutes with the normal amount of sugar found
> in most milks (not all grades).

Yabut (again) it still tastes awful when reconstituted, to me.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P wrote:

> "Tracy" > wrote in message
>> ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> Tell that to the kidlette <lol>

>>> Heh. I hate the stuff reconstituted - blech, chilled or not. However,
>>> (between you and me) when I was a child I used to like to eat it 'dry'
>>> by the spoonful...

>> I have it on hand for the bread machine only. My mother used to try
>> and trick us kids into drinking it. We always knew though. Maybe it
>> was the crusty powder clinging to the lip of milk jug? ;-)
>>
>> -Tracy

> Your mom didn't make it right then. My mom made powdered milk in the
> blender. Once it was cold it was as good as skim milk.
>
> Ms P

Yeahbutt.....we drank whole milk. ;-)

I would think the blender would make it foamy. It was foamy they way she
did it. She just tipped the envelope into the jug, added water, and
shook it up.

-Tracy
who drinks one percent these days....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 10:29*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Wow, I think this was the first time MCNL all the way through
>
> I keep it on hand in my emergency supply kit. *Powdered milk is better than
> no milk. *I also keep canned condensed milk (not the sweetened stuff) on
> hand.
>
> Jill

Evaporated...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
> Ms P wrote:
>>
>> "Tracy" > wrote in message

>>> I have it on hand for the bread machine only. My mother used to try and
>>> trick us kids into drinking it. We always knew though. Maybe it was the
>>> crusty powder clinging to the lip of milk jug? ;-)
>>>
>>> -Tracy

>> Your mom didn't make it right then. My mom made powdered milk in the
>> blender. Once it was cold it was as good as skim milk.
>>
>> Ms P

> Yeahbutt.....we drank whole milk. ;-)
>
> I would think the blender would make it foamy. It was foamy they way she
> did it. She just tipped the envelope into the jug, added water, and shook
> it up.
>
> -Tracy
> who drinks one percent these days....

Of course the blender makes it foamy. But by the time it's good and cold
the foam is gone. Just shaking it up does not blend it well enough.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:13:33 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com

We had powdered milk foisted on us once or twice during childhood... I
used to love fresh milk, but powdered is the vilest substance on the
planet. It's only redeeming value is that you can put it into baked
goods to boost their nutritional status without affecting the flavour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Oct 16, 10:29 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> Wow, I think this was the first time MCNL all the way through
>>
>> I keep it on hand in my emergency supply kit. Powdered milk is
>> better than no milk. I also keep canned condensed milk (not the
>> sweetened stuff) on hand.
>>
>> Jill

> Evaporated...

Yeah, evaporated. Not sweetened condensed. If you gotta have milk it's
better than nothing

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm a MCTIL for this largely. I buy large sized powdered milk, for use with
baking and rarely, other cooking needs. So 'I buy once in a blue moon',
never drink it, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> I'm a MCTIL for this largely. I buy large sized powdered milk, for
> use with
> baking and rarely, other cooking needs. So 'I buy once in a blue
> moon', never drink it, etc.

I'm no baker, so if you don't mind me asking, what kind of stuff do you
bake that calls for powdered milk as opposed to fresh?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" wrote
> cshenk wrote:
>
>> I'm a MCTIL for this largely. I buy large sized powdered milk, for
>> use with
>> baking and rarely, other cooking needs. So 'I buy once in a blue
>> moon', never drink it, etc.

> I'm no baker, so if you don't mind me asking, what kind of stuff do you
> bake that calls for powdered milk as opposed to fresh?

May breadmachine recipes do that. It's easier generally to add water and a
little powdered milk, since we dont keep that much milk around here.
Charlotte's near 15 so doesnt drink it all that often anymore. A 1 gallon
jug would go bad here before it was 1/2 empty. We get the paper quart size
once a week or so and she keeps pace with that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" wrote
>> cshenk wrote:
>>
>>> I'm a MCTIL for this largely. I buy large sized powdered milk, for
>>> use with
>>> baking and rarely, other cooking needs. So 'I buy once in a blue
>>> moon', never drink it, etc.

>> I'm no baker, so if you don't mind me asking, what kind of stuff do
>> you bake that calls for powdered milk as opposed to fresh?

> May breadmachine recipes do that. It's easier generally to add water
> and a little powdered milk, since we dont keep that much milk around
> here.
> Charlotte's near 15 so doesnt drink it all that often anymore. A 1
> gallon
> jug would go bad here before it was 1/2 empty. We get the paper quart
> size once a week or so and she keeps pace with that.

Ah, I see. Our kidlette loves milk, which I am quite happy with.
It's 'good for teeth and bones' (as my Mom used to say) <g>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote on Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:24:41 -0500:

>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Powdered milk is good for emergencies.

> If it can be chilled it's OK if you're used to fat-free milk.
> Warm, it's awful stuff!

>Powdered milk is good for emergencies.

I agree but for use in cooking but anyway, I don't like the taste of any
form of plain milk anyway. I sometimes drink fresh milk with a banana at
breakfast.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

You didn't list breast milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton said...

> Andy wrote on Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:24:41 -0500:
>
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com

>> Powdered milk is good for emergencies.

>> If it can be chilled it's OK if you're used to fat-free milk.
>> Warm, it's awful stuff!

>>Powdered milk is good for emergencies.

> I agree but for use in cooking but anyway, I don't like the taste of any
> form of plain milk anyway. I sometimes drink fresh milk with a banana at
> breakfast.

James,

Blend up a great banana, strawberry or any fruit milkshake (fruit frappé)
with two handfuls of fruit, a couple tablespoons of brown sugar, a handful
of ice cubes and 1/2 - 1 cup (to desired thickness) of pre-made/chilled
powdered milk. Adjust sugar to taste.

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> ChattyCathy said...
>
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com

> Powdered milk is good for emergencies.
>
> If it can be chilled it's OK if you're used to fat-free milk. Warm, it's
> awful stuff!

When I was a kid, we only drank powdered milk. Since we never drank
fresh milk, we had nothing to compare it to. There are two secrets to
plain powdered milk. One is overnight in the fridge, the second is a
glug of fresh whole milk. My parents had multiple Tupperware
containers (two quart?), and made several at a time.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 16, 12:43*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> merryb wrote:

> >> Wow, I think this was the first time MCNL all the way through

> >> I keep it on hand in my emergency supply kit. Powdered milk is
> >> better than no milk. I also keep canned condensed milk (not the
> >> sweetened stuff) on hand.

> >> Jill

> > Evaporated...

> Yeah, evaporated. *Not sweetened condensed. *If you gotta have milk it's
> better than nothing
>
> Jill

I know people who swear that evaporated is great in coffee...I know
kitties love it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:47:01 -0500, "Chris Marksberry"
> wrote:

>When I was a kid my best friend's mother used to mix real milk with powered
>mix. Even then IMHO not very good.

Hmmm... were you my best friend?? :-)

We went through a lot of government-surplus goods in the 60s. Powdered
milk was tried for a while. Mom would mix half reconstituted powdered
milk with half whole milk (does that sound funny?) It was awful. She
claimed it was fine when it was cold but kids have sensitive
tastebuds. I hated it.

When she discovered that everyone could tell the mixed stuff from the
real stuff, she stopped with the powdered milk.

Powdered coffee creamer, OTOH, *does* have a wonderful use. It's
great for making 4th-of-July fireballs!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksGt2hXPdRU

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> I know people who swear that evaporated is great in coffee...I know
> kitties love it!

My dad used to like it in coffee. Once you get used to the flavor, it
isn't bad. I'd say not as good as half-and-half in coffee, but much
better than skim or 2% milk.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Powdered milk has it's uses, but never as "straight" drinking milk. It's
useful in baking, making some drink mixes and whatnot. Evaporated milk
makes a much better emergency backup milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P wrote:

>>> Your mom didn't make it right then. My mom made powdered milk in the
>>> blender. Once it was cold it was as good as skim milk.
>>>
>>> Ms P

>> Yeahbutt.....we drank whole milk. ;-)
>>
>> I would think the blender would make it foamy. It was foamy they way
>> she did it. She just tipped the envelope into the jug, added water,
>> and shook it up.
>>
>> -Tracy
>> who drinks one percent these days....

> Of course the blender makes it foamy. But by the time it's good and
> cold the foam is gone. Just shaking it up does not blend it well enough.
>
> Ms P

No, I disagree. It is still obviously different in taste to me. You just
might not mind that difference but I do! Ugh!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>

>> I know people who swear that evaporated is great in coffee...I know
>> kitties love it!

> My dad used to like it in coffee. Once you get used to the flavor, it
> isn't bad. I'd say not as good as half-and-half in coffee, but much
> better than skim or 2% milk.
>
> gloria p

It *has* to be better than Coffee-Mate powder. I don't know how my mother
can stand that stuff. But then again, I drink coffee black and she doesn't
know how I can stand that, either

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Gloria P wrote:
>
>> merryb wrote:
>>

>>> I know people who swear that evaporated is great in coffee...I know
>>> kitties love it!

>> My dad used to like it in coffee. Once you get used to the flavor, it
>> isn't bad. I'd say not as good as half-and-half in coffee, but much
>> better than skim or 2% milk.
>>
>> gloria p

> It *has* to be better than Coffee-Mate powder. I don't know how my
> mother can stand that stuff. But then again, I drink coffee black and
> she doesn't know how I can stand that, either

I've used just about every version of milk in my coffee - skim, 2%,
whole milk, half and half, cream, sweetened condensed, evaporated. But
I brew my coffee *really* strong then cut it with some sort of dairy
product, so what I end up with has not only a pretty good dose of
caffeine but also a fair amount of calcium. I'd just as soon skip the
coffee rather than drink it black.

But a few weeks back my dad was in the hospital and I was staying at my
mom's place. Got up in the morning, made coffee the way I usually do,
not remembering that my mother drinks it black and very, very weak (it
almost looks like tea). The noise she made after her first sip parsed
as something like, "Nnngah!". She didn't actually spit it out but it
was touch and go for a couple of seconds there, and her eyes watered.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Gloria P wrote:

> >> My dad used to like it in coffee. Once you get used to the flavor, it
> >> isn't bad. I'd say not as good as half-and-half in coffee, but much
> >> better than skim or 2% milk.
> >>
> >> gloria p

> > It *has* to be better than Coffee-Mate powder. I don't know how my
> > mother can stand that stuff. But then again, I drink coffee black and
> > she doesn't know how I can stand that, either

> I've used just about every version of milk in my coffee - skim, 2%,
> whole milk, half and half, cream, sweetened condensed, evaporated. But
> I brew my coffee *really* strong then cut it with some sort of dairy
> product, so what I end up with has not only a pretty good dose of
> caffeine but also a fair amount of calcium. I'd just as soon skip the
> coffee rather than drink it black.
>
> But a few weeks back my dad was in the hospital and I was staying at my
> mom's place. Got up in the morning, made coffee the way I usually do,
> not remembering that my mother drinks it black and very, very weak (it
> almost looks like tea). The noise she made after her first sip parsed
> as something like, "Nnngah!". She didn't actually spit it out but it
> was touch and go for a couple of seconds there, and her eyes watered.

Weak coffee is just as bad as tea, no body, yech!