Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default onion powder like a rock

Can you advise a newcomer? I don't use onion powder too often, but
when I want some, it's like a rock and I have to use a metal skewer
and a meat mallet to dislodge what I need. Anything I can put in that
jar to keep it loose and
free-running? This happens soon after opening a jar of the stuff.
Maybe a slice of apple or orange skin?
Thanks
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 15, 1:52 pm, wrote:
> Can you advise a newcomer? I don't use onion powder too often, but
> when I want some, it's like a rock and I have to use a metal skewer
> and a meat mallet to dislodge what I need. Anything I can put in that
> jar to keep it loose and
> free-running? This happens soon after opening a jar of the stuff.
> Maybe a slice of apple or orange skin?
> Thanks

Have you tried putting it in the microwave for a few seconds? -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 4:52�pm, wrote:
> Can you advise a newcomer? � I don't use onion powder too often, but
> when I want some, it's like a rock and I have to use a metal skewer
> and a meat mallet to dislodge what I need. �Anything I can put in that
> jar to keep it loose and
> free-running? �This happens soon after opening a jar of the stuff..
> Maybe a slice of apple or orange skin?
> Thanks

You want dry, not moist... use rice, or beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Can you advise a newcomer? I don't use onion powder too often, but
> when I want some, it's like a rock and I have to use a metal skewer
> and a meat mallet to dislodge what I need. Anything I can put in that
> jar to keep it loose and
> free-running? This happens soon after opening a jar of the stuff.
> Maybe a slice of apple or orange skin?
> Thanks

Simple,

Stop shaking the jar over your cooking food.

The steam gets inside and caused the powder to solidify.

A dry cracker (soda) will help keep the powder dry.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 7:38 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Can you advise a newcomer? I don't use onion powder too often, but
> > when I want some, it's like a rock and I have to use a metal skewer
> > and a meat mallet to dislodge what I need. Anything I can put in that
> > jar to keep it loose and
> > free-running? This happens soon after opening a jar of the stuff.
> > Maybe a slice of apple or orange skin?
> > Thanks

> Simple,
>
> Stop shaking the jar over your cooking food.

I never have, I'm just trying to spoon out a bit. I store it in a
drawer nowhere near the stove.

> A dry cracker (soda) will help keep the powder dry.

Thanks, I'll try that when I buy ano. jar.