Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Powdered Gelatin

In the latest edition of cook's illustrated they had an article on
meatloaf where they substituted powdered gelatin for veal.
Here's a quote form the article:

"But our biggest challenge was textu Traditional meat loaves made of
beef, pork, and veal have an unctuous texture (because of the gelatin in
veal) that was tricky to duplicate. Adding veal stock seemed
unreasonable, so we focused on the much more readily available powdered
gelatin. A mere half-teaspoon made the texture luxuriously smooth."

Readily available? I don't think so. I search amazon.com to see what the
packaging looks like so I can easily spot it at the store since I don't
remember ever seeing this on the shelves. I found some made by McCormick
but it's not available and the only other products listed are jell-o and
something to do with fingernails. I know my store doesn't carry the
McCormick brand or else I would've remember seeing it with the rest of
their spices. It's looking like this is a very uncommon product...am I
right?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:

> Readily available? I don't think so. I search amazon.com to see what the
> packaging looks like so I can easily spot it at the store since I don't
> remember ever seeing this on the shelves.

It's in every grocery store.

http://brands.kraftfoods.com/knox/

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:

> Readily available? I don't think so. I search amazon.com to see what
> the packaging looks like so I can easily spot it at the store since I
> don't remember ever seeing this on the shelves. I found some made by
> McCormick but it's not available and the only other products listed
> are jell-o and something to do with fingernails. I know my store
> doesn't carry the McCormick brand or else I would've remember seeing
> it with the rest of their spices. It's looking like this is a very
> uncommon product...am I right?

Knox gelatin, I think it's in an orange box. Okay, here's a pictu

http://brands.kraftfoods.com/knox/

I haven't looked for it, but I imagine you would still find it in
most stores.

Can't say as I'd put it in my meatloaf, but that's me.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
>> Readily available? I don't think so. I search amazon.com to see what the
>> packaging looks like so I can easily spot it at the store since I don't
>> remember ever seeing this on the shelves.

> It's in every grocery store.
>
> http://brands.kraftfoods.com/knox/
>
> -sw

Alright, now I know what to look for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Can't say as I'd put it in my meatloaf, but that's me.

It seems like it's only use for desserts. Now I'm starting to have doubts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Can't say as I'd put it in my meatloaf, but that's me.

> It seems like it's only use for desserts. Now I'm starting to have
> doubts.

It's unflavored, don't worry.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 09:25:39 -0500, Scott
> wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Can't say as I'd put it in my meatloaf, but that's me.

>It seems like it's only use for desserts. Now I'm starting to have doubts.

Howdy,

I'll offer a use that may be more surprising:

Common supermarket geletin can be used as a very high
quality glue.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 10:57:47 -0400, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 09:25:39 -0500, Scott
> wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> Can't say as I'd put it in my meatloaf, but that's me.

>>It seems like it's only use for desserts. Now I'm starting to have doubts.

>Howdy,
>
>I'll offer a use that may be more surprising:
>
>Common supermarket geletin can be used as a very high
>quality glue.
>
>All the best,

Ooops... "gelatin"
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
>> Readily available? I don't think so. I search amazon.com to see what
>> the packaging looks like so I can easily spot it at the store since I
>> don't remember ever seeing this on the shelves. I found some made by
>> McCormick but it's not available and the only other products listed
>> are jell-o and something to do with fingernails. I know my store
>> doesn't carry the McCormick brand or else I would've remember seeing
>> it with the rest of their spices. It's looking like this is a very
>> uncommon product...am I right?

> Knox gelatin, I think it's in an orange box. Okay, here's a pictu
>
> http://brands.kraftfoods.com/knox/
>
> I haven't looked for it, but I imagine you would still find it in
> most stores.
> Can't say as I'd put it in my meatloaf, but that's me.
>
> nancy

Right. I buy that for other things....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Can't say as I'd put it in my meatloaf, but that's me.

> It seems like it's only use for desserts. Now I'm starting to have doubts.

I can see the logic in this approach.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Can't say as I'd put it in my meatloaf, but that's me.

> It seems like it's only use for desserts. Now I'm starting to have doubts.

Knox gelatin is unflavoured and unseasoned (no salt, no sugar); you can
use it in any recipe that requires gelatin, whether sweet or savoury.
Desserts may be a typical use for powdered gelatin, but that doesn't
mean you can't use it in other ways.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 07 Oct 2008 07:25:39a, Scott told us...

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Can't say as I'd put it in my meatloaf, but that's me.

> It seems like it's only use for desserts. Now I'm starting to have

doubts.

Knox unflavored gelatin is just that, *unflavored*. It would be totally
neutral as an ingredient in a savory dish, but I could see how it could add
thet "unctions" mouthfeel.

I'm not sure about Knox, but early commercial gelatin products were made
from animals, bones, cartilage, etc.

The fact that it has no flavor of its own makes it usefull in any category
of food.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 10(X)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 6dys 14hrs 54mins
Historian (n.): An unsuccessful
novelist. --H.L. Mencken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I got curious about gelatin and found good information on Snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/jello.asp

Interesting that the U.S. federal government doesn't consider a product
made from animal bones and hides to be an animal product. It says that
permissive vegetarians have no problem including JELL-O in their diets.
I suppose individuals are allowed to call themselves whatever they
want and eat whatever they want, but it would seem to me that a
vegetarian, even a permissive vegetarian, who has no trouble including
JELL-O in their diet is like saying that you can be a vegetarian and eat
steak. It makes no sense to me.

Vegetarians who like JELL-O would be less oxymoronic if they used agar
agar in fruit juice instead.

At the Culinary Institute many years ago, we learned about using gelatin
in desserts and in savory dishes as aspic. I never liked the texture
which seems slimy to me. It is easy to use however.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"l, not -l" > wrote:

> On 7-Oct-2008, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure about Knox, but early commercial gelatin products were made
> > from animals, bones, cartilage, etc.

> Yep, and we all put the prime ingredient to use when we simmer
> chicken/turkey carcasses over long, low heat to make that smooth, rich broth
> that "jells" when refrigerated.

Chicken or pigs feet. <g>
Nothing bounces like foot stock!
--
Peace! Om

"He who has the gold makes the rules"
--Om

"He who has the guns can get the gold."
-- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> Can't say as I'd put it in my meatloaf, but that's me.
>>
>> It seems like it's only use for desserts. Now I'm starting to have
>> doubts.

> A visit to the recipes section of the Knox gelatine website will expand your
> thoughts beyond dessert; including numerous meatball recipes that use
> unflavored gelatin.
>
> Take a look at http://tinyurl.com/GelatinInRecipes, which is shorthand for:
> http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/search/...ored+Gelatine&

I couldn't find any

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> l, not -l wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> Can't say as I'd put it in my meatloaf, but that's me.
>>>
>>> It seems like it's only use for desserts. Now I'm starting to have
>>> doubts.

>> A visit to the recipes section of the Knox gelatine website will
>> expand your
>> thoughts beyond dessert; including numerous meatball recipes that use
>> unflavored gelatin.
>>
>> Take a look at http://tinyurl.com/GelatinInRecipes, which is shorthand
>> for:
>> http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/search/...ored+Gelatine&
>>

> I couldn't find any

I even tried searching for recipes from the link Steve gave me
http://brands.kraftfoods.com/knox/
and it keep giving the 404 - page not found error.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> l, not -l wrote:

>>> A visit to the recipes section of the Knox gelatine website will
>>> expand your
>>> thoughts beyond dessert; including numerous meatball recipes that use
>>> unflavored gelatin.
>>>
>>> Take a look at http://tinyurl.com/GelatinInRecipes, which is
>>> shorthand for:
>>> http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/search/...ored+Gelatine&
>>>

>> I couldn't find any

> I even tried searching for recipes from the link Steve gave me
> http://brands.kraftfoods.com/knox/
> and it keep giving the 404 - page not found error.

What browser are you using?

Using Firefox I just followed the link, which took me to the site's
splash/home page. On that page is a set of "dials" for various parts of
the site; below that is a dropdown menu box. I selected
Appetizers/Snacks, clicked "go", and ended up with a search results page
(in a new tab) that shows the first 3 of 19 results.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

flitterbit wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> Scott wrote:

>>> I couldn't find any

>> I even tried searching for recipes from the link Steve gave me
>> http://brands.kraftfoods.com/knox/
>> and it keep giving the 404 - page not found error.
> >

> What browser are you using?
>
> Using Firefox I just followed the link, which took me to the site's
> splash/home page. On that page is a set of "dials" for various parts of
> the site; below that is a dropdown menu box. I selected
> Appetizers/Snacks, clicked "go", and ended up with a search results page
> (in a new tab) that shows the first 3 of 19 results.

I'm using FF 3.0.3 but I'm not really worry about it since I already
have my meatloaf recipe but thanks anyways.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Scott > wrote:

> In the latest edition of cook's illustrated they had an article on
> meatloaf where they substituted powdered gelatin for veal.
> Here's a quote form the article:
>
> "But our biggest challenge was textu Traditional meat loaves made of
> beef, pork, and veal have an unctuous texture (because of the gelatin in
> veal) that was tricky to duplicate. Adding veal stock seemed
> unreasonable, so we focused on the much more readily available powdered
> gelatin. A mere half-teaspoon made the texture luxuriously smooth."
>
> Readily available? I don't think so. I search amazon.com to see what the
> packaging looks like so I can easily spot it at the store since I don't
> remember ever seeing this on the shelves. I found some made by McCormick
> but it's not available and the only other products listed are jell-o and
> something to do with fingernails. I know my store doesn't carry the
> McCormick brand or else I would've remember seeing it with the rest of
> their spices. It's looking like this is a very uncommon product...am I
> right?

Knox brand unflavored gelatin. I believe it's an orange box.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, Thelma and Louise