Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is all spice the same

Just a question, is the chemical in spicyness the same?
For example, radish, when they make that japanese killer sauce, wasabi
paste i think, or Mexican chili, or indian chilies, are they all the
same or do they differ in some way. Im talking only about the
chemical that would make it hot, or spicy.
Just curious, looked it up in Google but wasnt what i was looking
for...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Univeros" > wrote in message
> Just a question, is the chemical in spicyness the same?
> For example, radish, when they make that japanese killer sauce, wasabi
> paste i think, or Mexican chili, or indian chilies, are they all the
> same or do they differ in some way. Im talking only about the
> chemical that would make it hot, or spicy.
> Just curious, looked it up in Google but wasnt what i was looking
> for...

No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piperine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allyl_isothiocyanate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allicin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Univeros" > wrote in message
> Just a question, is the chemical in spicyness the same?
> For example, radish, when they make that japanese killer sauce, wasabi
> paste i think, or Mexican chili, or indian chilies, are they all the
> same or do they differ in some way. Im talking only about the
> chemical that would make it hot, or spicy.
> Just curious, looked it up in Google but wasnt what i was looking
> for...

No horseradish gets its hot from the pepper family.
Whereas chili peppers hot comes from capsicum

What Makes Horseradish Hot?
Horseradish is a member of the mustard family (sharing lineage with its
gentler cousins, kale, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts and the common radish)
and is cultivated for its thick, fleshy white roots.

The bite and aroma of the horseradish root are almost absent until it is
grated or ground. During this process, as the root cells are crushed,
volatile oils known as isothiocyanate are released. Vinegar stops this
reaction and stabilizes the flavor. For milder horseradish, vinegar is added
immediately.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote
> The bite and aroma of the horseradish root are almost absent until it is
> grated or ground. During this process, as the root cells are crushed,
> volatile oils known as isothiocyanate are released. Vinegar stops this
> reaction and stabilizes the flavor. For milder horseradish, vinegar is
> added immediately.

Oh, man, now I am going to have to find some sirloin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Univeros wrote:
> Just a question, is the chemical in spicyness the same?
> For example, radish, when they make that japanese killer sauce,

wasabi paste i think, or Mexican chili, or indian chilies, are they
all the same or do they differ in some way. Im talking only about the
chemical that would make it hot, or spicy.
> Just curious, looked it up in Google but wasnt what i was looking

for...

Cool, never thought about it, or never thought there
was any difference, except in taste avcourse

Tea n' Spice Suzy Marsden Tea 13 21-01-2021 10:45 PM
Spice mix ID. Help! Silvar Beitel[_2_] General Cooking 5 15-02-2013 10:56 PM
Best spice? Was: Best Online Spice Shop Andy[_2_] General Cooking 27 12-10-2008 04:33 PM
SPICE MIX No Name General Cooking 3 14-08-2008 02:07 AM
5-spice plus one Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 13 23-04-2006 05:23 PM