Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spice mix ID. Help!

Long shot:

I picked up this small tub of spice mix in a market in Yaroslavl,
Russia, primarily because it smells wonderful, like a cross between a
curry spice mix and a BBQ rub, but not hot. Whatever's in there is
ground fine enough that I can't identify the components visually. The
vendor and I did not speak the same language (we tried!), so I have no
further information. I don't even know if the writing is Cyrillic
(most likely) or Roman (works either way if you squint :-) ).

http://s1196.beta.photobucket.com/us...f3863.jpg.html

I'm trying it out as a rub on a piece of London Broil tonight (and
actually broiling it :-) ).

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2013 6:26 PM, Silvar Beitel wrote:
> Long shot:
>
> I picked up this small tub of spice mix in a market in Yaroslavl,
> Russia, primarily because it smells wonderful, like a cross between a
> curry spice mix and a BBQ rub, but not hot. Whatever's in there is
> ground fine enough that I can't identify the components visually. The
> vendor and I did not speak the same language (we tried!), so I have no
> further information. I don't even know if the writing is Cyrillic
> (most likely) or Roman (works either way if you squint :-) ).
>
> http://s1196.beta.photobucket.com/us...f3863.jpg.html
>
> I'm trying it out as a rub on a piece of London Broil tonight (and
> actually broiling it :-) ).
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

I had a look in Gernot Katzer's spice pages and I wonder if it is the
Georgian mixture that he mentions: "Svanuri marili [სვანუ*ი მა*ილი] (see
garlic) A Georgian table condiment that is used to season salads and
other foods individually; it is named after the mountainous region
Svaneti in Northern Georgia. It has a high proportion of salt, augmented
with garlic, coriander, chile and other dried spices, which give it a
piquant, rustic flavour with mild pungency."

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2013 6:26 PM, Silvar Beitel wrote:
> Long shot:
>
> I picked up this small tub of spice mix in a market in Yaroslavl,
> Russia, primarily because it smells wonderful, like a cross between a
> curry spice mix and a BBQ rub, but not hot. Whatever's in there is
> ground fine enough that I can't identify the components visually. The
> vendor and I did not speak the same language (we tried!), so I have no
> further information. I don't even know if the writing is Cyrillic
> (most likely) or Roman (works either way if you squint :-) ).
>
> http://s1196.beta.photobucket.com/us...f3863.jpg.html
>
> I'm trying it out as a rub on a piece of London Broil tonight (and
> actually broiling it :-) ).
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

My manager is Russian. I'm not sure if he cooks, though, but I thought
I could ask him if he might know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:26:14 -0800 (PST), Silvar Beitel
> wrote:

>Long shot:
>
>I picked up this small tub of spice mix in a market in Yaroslavl,
>Russia, primarily because it smells wonderful, like a cross between a
>curry spice mix and a BBQ rub, but not hot. Whatever's in there is
>ground fine enough that I can't identify the components visually. The
>vendor and I did not speak the same language (we tried!), so I have no
>further information. I don't even know if the writing is Cyrillic
>(most likely) or Roman (works either way if you squint :-) ).
>
>http://s1196.beta.photobucket.com/us...f3863.jpg.html

The blend used by KFC. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Silvar Beitel > wrote:

> I picked up this small tub of spice mix in a market in Yaroslavl, Russia,
> primarily because it smells wonderful, like a cross between a curry spice
> mix and a BBQ rub, but not hot. Whatever's in there is ground fine enough
> that I can't identify the components visually. The vendor and I did not
> speak the same language (we tried!), so I have no further information. I
> don't even know if the writing is Cyrillic (most likely) or Roman (works
> either way if you squint :-) ).
>
> http://s1196.beta.photobucket.com/us...FC/IMG_0740_zp
> s692f3863.jpg.html

The writing is Cyrillic and reads "Matsella" if transliterated. There
is almost no information about it on the Web, with only one site listing
its components, in Russian:
http://princessofspecies.narod.ru/simple81.html

High-quality fresh garlic
paprika
basil
tomato

The mix is supposed to be used with aready cooked or prepared dishes,
such as salads.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 14, 6:26*pm, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
> Long shot:
>
> I picked up this small tub of spice mix in a market in Yaroslavl,
> Russia, primarily because it smells wonderful, like a cross between a
> curry spice mix and a BBQ rub, but not hot. *Whatever's in there is
> ground fine enough that I can't identify the components visually. *The
> vendor and I did not speak the same language (we tried!), so I have no
> further information. *I don't even know if the writing is Cyrillic
> (most likely) or Roman (works either way if you squint :-) ).
>
> http://s1196.beta.photobucket.com/us...dia/RFC/IMG_07...
>
> I'm trying it out as a rub on a piece of London Broil tonight (and
> actually broiling it :-) ).
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

A response from a Russian emigre friend:

<quote>

It reads Мацелла - or to transliterate Macella. I have never heard of
it.

I searched for it and found this page
http://princessofspecies.narod.ru/simple81.html

"Macella - ingredients: fresh garlic, paprika, basilic, tomatos.
Used for any dishes except sweets. Can be added into a prepared dish
including salads."

</quote>

I'm sure there's more in there than what he listed, but the picture in
that link matches what I have.

Wonderful stuff (the London Broil was delicious). If you ever come
across this, get some.

No salt, James.

I walked past the very first McDonald's in Russia (in Moscow).
According to the Russians I met there, it was quite the novelty when
it first opened. As were the other American fast food joints as they
opened (including KFC, Sheldon). Now, their attitude is pretty much
like ours: Fast, OK, nutritionally crap, you're better off at home or
a cafe, but sometimes ya just gotta :-)

--
Silvar Beitel

Tea n' Spice Suzy Marsden Tea 13 21-01-2021 10:45 PM
Best spice? Was: Best Online Spice Shop Andy[_2_] General Cooking 27 12-10-2008 04:33 PM
Is all spice the same Univeros General Cooking 4 19-09-2008 03:23 AM
SPICE MIX No Name General Cooking 3 14-08-2008 02:07 AM
5-spice plus one Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 13 23-04-2006 05:23 PM