Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pack school fruit snack - foil or cling film? Help!

OK, this probably makes me sound like an idiot but my littl'un starts
school tomorrow and must take a fruit snack in a labelled ziploc type
bag for morning break. He is likely to take cut up apple as he is
guarenteed to eat that....

I was wondering, so I don't have to change the plastic bag every day
(or 2 or 3), whether it is better to wrap the cut up apple in foil or
cling film before I put in the zipper bag? What will keep it fresher/
less likely to go brown (I realise its only a couple of hours but
brown apple not appealing to me either!)

Your thoughts wd be much appreciated!

From a nervous first schooler mum, going with tissues in pocket....!

Rebecca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rebecca" > wrote in message
> OK, this probably makes me sound like an idiot but my littl'un starts
> school tomorrow and must take a fruit snack in a labelled ziploc type
> bag for morning break. He is likely to take cut up apple as he is
> guarenteed to eat that....
>
> I was wondering, so I don't have to change the plastic bag every day
> (or 2 or 3), whether it is better to wrap the cut up apple in foil or
> cling film before I put in the zipper bag? What will keep it fresher/
> less likely to go brown (I realise its only a couple of hours but
> brown apple not appealing to me either!)
>
> Your thoughts wd be much appreciated!
>
> From a nervous first schooler mum, going with tissues in pocket....!

Put a little lemon juice on, it doesn't take much. And just rinse the bags,
turn inside out, reuse when dry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Rebecca > wrote:

> OK, this probably makes me sound like an idiot but my littl'un starts
> school tomorrow and must take a fruit snack in a labelled ziploc type
> bag for morning break. He is likely to take cut up apple as he is
> guarenteed to eat that....
>
> I was wondering, so I don't have to change the plastic bag every day
> (or 2 or 3), whether it is better to wrap the cut up apple in foil or
> cling film before I put in the zipper bag? What will keep it fresher/
> less likely to go brown (I realise its only a couple of hours but
> brown apple not appealing to me either!)
>
> Your thoughts wd be much appreciated!
>
> From a nervous first schooler mum, going with tissues in pocket....!

Brush the slices/wedges with a little lemon juice and wrap them in
clingfilm before putting them in the bag.

They'll be fine, he'll be fine, you'll be fine. BTDT.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:00:27 -0700 (PDT), Rebecca
> wrote:

>OK, this probably makes me sound like an idiot but my littl'un starts
>school tomorrow and must take a fruit snack in a labelled ziploc type
>bag for morning break. He is likely to take cut up apple as he is
>guarenteed to eat that....
>
>I was wondering, so I don't have to change the plastic bag every day
>(or 2 or 3), whether it is better to wrap the cut up apple in foil or
>cling film before I put in the zipper bag? What will keep it fresher/
>less likely to go brown (I realise its only a couple of hours but
>brown apple not appealing to me either!)
>
>Your thoughts wd be much appreciated!
>
>From a nervous first schooler mum, going with tissues in pocket....!
>
>Rebecca

I see that some have recommended lemon juice, which does work, but my
own kids would have been picky about the one fruit they'd eat having a
new taste added. Any chance he'll eat grapes? If he does, don't worry
about them, just cut them in half and he'll be safe with them.

Is there any way you can convince the teacher to go a bit greener and
allow a container instead of a bag? It won't help much with the
oxidation, but if the rest of the kids are tossing their bags, your
little one may feel he should, too, or if he keeps it, he may have a
juicy bag drip into his backpack on the way home.

And don't be nervous. Enjoy that first day. Take pictures and smile.
Do know that "separation" can hit you even later. When my oldest went
away to college, I didn't want to go back to the house, so we took a
couple of days with the rest of the brood and had a very leisurely
trip home. By the time we got their, that bit of an ache was gone from
my heart.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9 Sep, 21:48, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:00:27 -0700 (PDT), Rebecca
>

> > wrote:
> >OK, this probably makes me sound like an idiot but my littl'un starts
> >school tomorrow and must take a fruit snack in a labelled *ziploc type
> >bag for morning break. He is likely to take cut up apple as he is
> >guarenteed to eat that....

> >I was wondering, so I don't have to change the plastic bag every day
> >(or 2 or 3), whether it is better to wrap the cut up apple in foil or
> >cling film before I put in the zipper bag? What will keep it fresher/
> >less likely to go brown (I realise its only a couple of hours but
> >brown apple not appealing to me either!)

> >Your thoughts wd be much appreciated!

> >From a nervous first schooler mum, going with tissues in pocket....!

> >Rebecca

> I see that some have recommended lemon juice, which does work, but my
> own kids would have been picky about the one fruit they'd eat having a
> new taste added. Any chance he'll eat grapes? If he does, don't worry
> about them, just cut them in half and he'll be safe with them.
>
> Is there any way you can convince the teacher to go a bit greener and
> allow a container instead of a bag? It won't help much with the
> oxidation, but if the rest of the kids are tossing their bags, your
> little one may feel he should, too, or if he keeps it, he may have a
> juicy bag drip into his backpack on the way home.
>
> And don't be nervous. Enjoy that first day. Take pictures and smile.
> Do know that *"separation" can hit you even later. When my oldest went
> away to college, I didn't want to go back to the house, so we took a
> couple of days with the rest of the brood and had a very leisurely
> trip home. By the time we got their, that bit of an ache was gone from
> my heart.
>
> Boron- Hide quoted text -

I must admit, the thought of adding, even a smidge of lemon juice,
makes me bit nervous. ...will ask him again tomorrow as to preferred
fruit.
The bag vs container I think is more the size of the miniscuke fridge
available in the class room for snacks. Lot sof little boxes take up
more room than lots of squashed fruit!

Thanks for words of encouragement. Im sure Ill be fine. Its just my
big boy...now officially a big boy. O dear...got that stinging in my
eyes agai. Time for bed I think!
Rebecca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:00:27 -0700 (PDT), Rebecca wrote:

> OK, this probably makes me sound like an idiot but my littl'un starts
> school tomorrow and must take a fruit snack in a labelled ziploc type
> bag for morning break. He is likely to take cut up apple as he is
> guarenteed to eat that....
>
> I was wondering, so I don't have to change the plastic bag every day
> (or 2 or 3), whether it is better to wrap the cut up apple in foil or
> cling film before I put in the zipper bag? What will keep it fresher/
> less likely to go brown (I realise its only a couple of hours but
> brown apple not appealing to me either!)
>
> Your thoughts wd be much appreciated!
>
> From a nervous first schooler mum, going with tissues in pocket....!
>
> Rebecca

can't help you with the fruit, but good luck with the school thing. you'll
survive.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rebecca > wrote:
> OK, this probably makes me sound like an idiot

You are definitely not alone here.

but my littl'un starts
> school tomorrow and must take a fruit snack in a labelled �ziploc type
> bag for morning break. He is likely to take cut up apple as he is
> guarenteed to eat that....
>
> I was wondering, so I don't have to change the plastic bag every day
> (or 2 or 3), whether it is better to wrap the cut up apple in foil or
> cling film before I put in the zipper bag? What will keep it fresher/
> less likely to go brown (I realise its only a couple of hours but
> brown apple not appealing to me either!)
>
> Your thoughts wd be much appreciated!

Fruit is acid, so no foil. Why not get some of those small plastic
tupperware type containers, I have some half cup size. You don't need
to use lemon juice, for a few hours a tiny bit of orange juice will
keep cut apples from oxidizing, or simply mix apple wedges with an
equal number of orange segments (enough citrus juice will leak out to
do the job), tangerines separate easily... add a few slices of banana
too. Right now there are still peaches, nectarines, and plums, those
can be sliced too, and soon will be pear season. Only you know what
your kid eats but there's a whole cornicopia of fresh fruits to choose
from... there are dried fruits, and nuts too... add a few mini mallows
as an enticement.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Rebecca > wrote:
>> OK, this probably makes me sound like an idiot

> You are definitely not alone here.
>
> but my littl'un starts
>> school tomorrow and must take a fruit snack in a labelled �ziploc
>> type bag for morning break. He is likely to take cut up apple as he
>> is guarenteed to eat that....
>>
>> I was wondering, so I don't have to change the plastic bag every day
>> (or 2 or 3), whether it is better to wrap the cut up apple in foil or
>> cling film before I put in the zipper bag? What will keep it fresher/
>> less likely to go brown (I realise its only a couple of hours but
>> brown apple not appealing to me either!)
>>
>> Your thoughts wd be much appreciated!

> Fruit is acid, so no foil. Why not get some of those small plastic
> tupperware type containers, I have some half cup size. You don't need
> to use lemon juice, for a few hours a tiny bit of orange juice will
> keep cut apples from oxidizing, or simply mix apple wedges with an
> equal number of orange segments (enough citrus juice will leak out to
> do the job), tangerines separate easily... add a few slices of banana
> too. Right now there are still peaches, nectarines, and plums, those
> can be sliced too, and soon will be pear season. Only you know what
> your kid eats but there's a whole cornicopia of fresh fruits to choose
> from... there are dried fruits, and nuts too... add a few mini mallows
> as an enticement.

Dried fruits, absolutely. But the allergy police will come get her if she
dares to introduce nuts into a classroom enviroment.

Jill