Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking eggs in cling film

Watching a German cooking program the other day, I saw the chef break a
few eggs, whole, into pouches made up by putting a long piece of cling
film over a cup and pushing down a little, twist the top of the cling
film tightly so that the eggs were sealed in, then lower each egg bag
into a pan of boiling water, clamping the twisted end on the edge of
the pan to keep it above water level.
When cooked the eggs didn't look much different from ordinary boiled
eggs, except of course for the fact that they had no shell.

But unfortunately my German is no better than 'Eine Bier, bitte' so I
didn't understand the explanation for this procedure.

Anyone know why you might want to do that? Something to do with
flavouring a boiled egg maybe?
It did look as though there might have been some butter in with the
eggs.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/24/14, 6:53 AM, Windmill wrote:
> Watching a German cooking program the other day, I saw the chef break a
> few eggs, whole, into pouches made up by putting a long piece of cling
> film over a cup and pushing down a little, twist the top of the cling
> film tightly so that the eggs were sealed in, then lower each egg bag
> into a pan of boiling water, clamping the twisted end on the edge of
> the pan to keep it above water level.
> When cooked the eggs didn't look much different from ordinary boiled
> eggs, except of course for the fact that they had no shell.
>
> But unfortunately my German is no better than 'Eine Bier, bitte' so I
> didn't understand the explanation for this procedure.
>
> Anyone know why you might want to do that? Something to do with
> flavouring a boiled egg maybe?
> It did look as though there might have been some butter in with the
> eggs.

They're just standard coddled eggs, made using the cheapest
universally-available materials.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I thought cling-wrap was one of those plastics that shouldn't touch your food, especially when heated.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Windmill" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~~
Many years ago, we had "Breakfast at Brennan's" in New Orleans, Louisiana.
I had perfect Eggs Benedict. I asked the server how the eggs were poached
so perfectly, and he was kind enough to tell me. I have poached my eggs
that way ever since, and they have always come out exactly as I want them.
I later learned that the method he described is a traditional method that
most of you probably already know. I even like how they "look" better than
the cling wrap method, which I think makes the egg look more like a tennis
ball than an egg. The "swirling water" method described by the server keeps
the egg together, but it is spread just enough to cover an English muffin.

The simple method described by the server at Brennan's was: Bring water just
to a boil, lower heat to keep water at a simmer but not a boil, add 2
teaspoons of white vinegar and a small amount of salt, use spoon to swirl
the water like a small whirlpool, drop egg in center of swirled water, when
egg is poached it should be gently lifted with a slotted spoon. I crack an
egg into a small bowl and drop the egg from that into the simmering water.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:14:14 AM UTC-6, l not -l wrote:
> On 24-Aug-2014, lid (Windmill) wrote:
>

> > Anyone know why you might want to do that? Something to do with

> > flavouring a boiled egg maybe?

> > It did look as though there might have been some butter in with the

> > eggs.

> All will be revealed at

http://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...ap+poached+egg

I think that it is a stupid way to poach eggs. Plain water works just fine. Gawd, I have poached eggs for fifty years and never had any problem. Plastic film leeches crap into food if it is heated...desist...there are enough cancerous causing chemicals floating around as it is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/24/2014 8:36 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> (The color of that yolk makes me wanna skip breakfast this morning)
>
> -sw

Thanks for sharing...not...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/24/2014 11:34 AM, MaryL wrote:

> "Windmill" wrote in message ...
>
> Watching a German cooking program the other day, I saw the chef break a
> few eggs, whole, into pouches made up by putting a long piece of cling
> film over a cup and pushing down a little, twist the top of the cling
> film tightly so that the eggs were sealed in, then lower each egg bag
> into a pan of boiling water, clamping the twisted end on the edge of
> the pan to keep it above water level.
> When cooked the eggs didn't look much different from ordinary boiled
> eggs, except of course for the fact that they had no shell.
>
> But unfortunately my German is no better than 'Eine Bier, bitte' so I
> didn't understand the explanation for this procedure.
>
> Anyone know why you might want to do that? Something to do with
> flavouring a boiled egg maybe?
> It did look as though there might have been some butter in with the
> eggs.

I've tried the vortex method and it's nothing like as easy as the shows
make it :-(

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:52:28 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> I've tried the vortex method and it's nothing like as easy as the shows
> make it :-(

I like the vortex method if I'm just making one for myself, but how do
you do more than one egg at a time? I've practiced egg poaching and
now do it in extra deep water ala vortex, but just slip them into
still, but simmering water using a tiny bowl.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:52:28 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>

>> I've tried the vortex method and it's nothing like as easy as the shows
>> make it :-(

> I like the vortex method if I'm just making one for myself, but how do
> you do more than one egg at a time? I've practiced egg poaching and
> now do it in extra deep water ala vortex, but just slip them into
> still, but simmering water using a tiny bowl.

you don't need a vortex, just a gentle swirl. I have done a dozen at the
same time this way, in a large rondo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:52:28 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>I've tried the vortex method and it's nothing like as easy as the shows
>make it :-(

Try bringing the water to the boil, turning back to very gentle
simmer, carefully put the egg into the water from a small cup or
similar so it can be tipped in very gently, turn heat off, put lid on
pan and leave until set as you like it. Works every time, I found
the whirlpool method too messy.

Cooking them in plastic is not really poaching them, to poach they
have to contact the water. BTW I don't put vinegar in the water, not
needed and adds a flavour I don't particularly want.

~~~~~~~
You're right about the vinegar. It really isn't needed, and I have done it
both ways. The only advantage of white vinegar is to add some "brightness"
to the egg whites. It only takes a small amount, so that should not add
flavor to the water.

I use the vortex method, although a gentle swirl is enough. Like you, I tip
the egg very gently into the water from a small bowl or cup (one egg at a
time). I haven't tried turning the heat off, but I may try that next time.
I just watch carefully, and I have had good results every time.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > writes:

>On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 10:53:26 GMT, lid
>(Windmill) wrote:

>>Watching a German cooking program the other day, I saw the chef break a
>>few eggs, whole, into pouches made up by putting a long piece of cling
>>film over a cup and pushing down a little, twist the top of the cling
>>film tightly so that the eggs were sealed in, then lower each egg bag
>>into a pan of boiling water, clamping the twisted end on the edge of
>>the pan to keep it above water level.
>>When cooked the eggs didn't look much different from ordinary boiled
>>eggs, except of course for the fact that they had no shell.
>>
>>But unfortunately my German is no better than 'Eine Bier, bitte' so I
>>didn't understand the explanation for this procedure.
>>
>>Anyone know why you might want to do that? Something to do with
>>flavouring a boiled egg maybe?
>>It did look as though there might have been some butter in with the
>>eggs.

>I think it is a way of 'poaching' an egg, ensuring that the white
>doesn't run all over in the poaching water.
>Janet US

That sounds like the right explanation. Germans are very meticulous (at
least that's the stereotype) so they probably don't like the poaching
mess.

Had me puzzled though.

--
Windmill,
Use t m i l l
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > writes:

>Many years ago, we had "Breakfast at Brennan's" in New Orleans, Louisiana.
>I had perfect Eggs Benedict. I asked the server how the eggs were poached
>so perfectly, and he was kind enough to tell me. I have poached my eggs
>that way ever since, and they have always come out exactly as I want them.
>I later learned that the method he described is a traditional method that
>most of you probably already know. I even like how they "look" better than
>the cling wrap method, which I think makes the egg look more like a tennis
>ball than an egg.

They certainly did.

> The "swirling water" method described by the server keeps
>the egg together, but it is spread just enough to cover an English muffin.

>The simple method described by the server at Brennan's was: Bring water just
>to a boil, lower heat to keep water at a simmer but not a boil, add 2
>teaspoons of white vinegar and a small amount of salt, use spoon to swirl
>the water like a small whirlpool, drop egg in center of swirled water, when
>egg is poached it should be gently lifted with a slotted spoon. I crack an
>egg into a small bowl and drop the egg from that into the simmering water.

I love but seldom make eggs Benedict (too much fuss when it's just for
myself), but thank you; I've filed your method for future reference.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst > writes:

>On 8/24/14, 6:53 AM, Windmill wrote:
>> Watching a German cooking program the other day, I saw the chef break a
>> few eggs, whole, into pouches made up by putting a long piece of cling
>> film over a cup and pushing down a little, twist the top of the cling
>> film tightly so that the eggs were sealed in, then lower each egg bag
>> into a pan of boiling water, clamping the twisted end on the edge of
>> the pan to keep it above water level.
>> When cooked the eggs didn't look much different from ordinary boiled
>> eggs, except of course for the fact that they had no shell.
>>
>> But unfortunately my German is no better than 'Eine Bier, bitte' so I
>> didn't understand the explanation for this procedure.
>>
>> Anyone know why you might want to do that? Something to do with
>> flavouring a boiled egg maybe?
>> It did look as though there might have been some butter in with the
>> eggs.

>They're just standard coddled eggs, made using the cheapest
>universally-available materials.

"Coddled"? wot's that?

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > writes:

>On 8/24/2014 11:34 AM, MaryL wrote:
>>

>> "Windmill" wrote in message ...
>>
>> Watching a German cooking program the other day, I saw the chef break a
>> few eggs, whole, into pouches made up by putting a long piece of cling
>> film over a cup and pushing down a little, twist the top of the cling
>> film tightly so that the eggs were sealed in, then lower each egg bag
>> into a pan of boiling water, clamping the twisted end on the edge of
>> the pan to keep it above water level.
>> When cooked the eggs didn't look much different from ordinary boiled
>> eggs, except of course for the fact that they had no shell.
>>
>> But unfortunately my German is no better than 'Eine Bier, bitte' so I
>> didn't understand the explanation for this procedure.
>>
>> Anyone know why you might want to do that? Something to do with
>> flavouring a boiled egg maybe?
>> It did look as though there might have been some butter in with the
>> eggs.
>>

>I've tried the vortex method and it's nothing like as easy as the shows
>make it :-(

I suspect that nothing is as easy as they make out. Wonder how many
'takes' they do for each demo!

Interesting difference in national customs though. With contestants
competing against the clock (which they showed as a countdown
on-screen), as the deadline approached the audience began a slow
handclap to pile on the pressure.

Whereas around here a slow handclap is a deliberate insult.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > writes:

>wrote in message ...

>On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:52:28 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>>I've tried the vortex method and it's nothing like as easy as the shows
>>make it :-(

>Try bringing the water to the boil, turning back to very gentle
>simmer, carefully put the egg into the water from a small cup or
>similar so it can be tipped in very gently, turn heat off, put lid on
>pan and leave until set as you like it. Works every time, I found
>the whirlpool method too messy.

>Cooking them in plastic is not really poaching them, to poach they
>have to contact the water. BTW I don't put vinegar in the water, not
>needed and adds a flavour I don't particularly want.

>~~~~~~~
>You're right about the vinegar. It really isn't needed, and I have done it
>both ways. The only advantage of white vinegar is to add some "brightness"
>to the egg whites. It only takes a small amount, so that should not add
>flavor to the water.

>I use the vortex method, although a gentle swirl is enough. Like you, I tip
>the egg very gently into the water from a small bowl or cup (one egg at a
>time). I haven't tried turning the heat off, but I may try that next time.
>I just watch carefully, and I have had good results every time.

When boiling eggs in the shell, turning the heat off as soon as the
water is boiling vigorously is something I learned a few years ago,
maybe here. If left for about 10 minutes, you get yolks still
soft but just on the verge of going hard. Perfect for my taste; I don't
really like runny yolks.
Apparently the French call eggs cooked to this degree 'mollet' (which I
don't understand because Google translates that as 'calf').
But you'd all know that.

Learned some German from the TV program; German for 'medium rare' is
'medium rare', 'mushrooms' are 'champignons' (French), and
'marshmallow' is 'marshmallow' or maybe 'marschmallow' !

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/24/2014 07:36 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 10:53:26 GMT, Windmill wrote:
>

>> Anyone know why you might want to do that? Something to do with
>> flavouring a boiled egg maybe?
>> It did look as though there might have been some butter in with the
>> eggs.

> It's a method for poaching eggs. I use it most of the time I poach
> eggs.

> -sw

I use the method any time I want a "poached" egg. Here's a few tips:
I've tried using grocery-store cling film and it often bursts. Not a
catastrophe, but disappointing. The better stuff to use is the
commercial kind, like what they use to wrap a take-and-bake pizza in.

Cut a 10" square of wrap, lay it flat and coat a 6" circle in the center
with a stick of butter. Sprinkle on any seasoning. Drape the wrap over a
bowl (styrofoam bowls don't stick), break an egg in the center, bring
the 4 corners up and then the 4 sides. Give it a twist or two and secure
with a plastic (the paper ones fall apart) tie-wrap. Drop into a pot of
boiling water, cover and boil for 3'15". Remove with a slotted spoon and
set on a flat surface. Untie the tie-wrap and dump the egg out onto
buttered toast points or a skillet-size shredded potato pancake. Discard
the wrap and tie-wrap.

I wouldn't call this poaching, precisely, but I can fantasize and think
I'm doing something semi sous-vide.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 14:57:41 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:52:28 -0400, James Silverton
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> I've tried the vortex method and it's nothing like as easy as the shows
> >> make it :-(

> > I like the vortex method if I'm just making one for myself, but how do
> > you do more than one egg at a time? I've practiced egg poaching and
> > now do it in extra deep water ala vortex, but just slip them into
> > still, but simmering water using a tiny bowl.
> >

> you don't need a vortex, just a gentle swirl.

Even a swirl, how do you keep one egg from hitting another?

> I have done a dozen at the
> same time this way, in a large rondo.

No idea what you mean by rondo.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 25, 2014 6:56:42 AM UTC+1, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 14:57:41 -0700, "Pico Rico"
>
> > wrote:
>

> > "sf" > wrote in message

> > > On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:52:28 -0400, James Silverton

> > > I like the vortex method if I'm just making one for myself, but how do

> > > you do more than one egg at a time? I've practiced egg poaching and

> > > now do it in extra deep water ala vortex, but just slip them into

> > > still, but simmering water using a tiny bowl.

> > you don't need a vortex, just a gentle swirl.

> Even a swirl, how do you keep one egg from hitting another?
>

> > I have done a dozen at the

> > same time this way, in a large rondo.

> No idea what you mean by rondo.
>

> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

In the UK we use malt vinegar with poached eggs which gives a different flavour dimension - one I like. A rondo is a large wide saucepan.

Cherry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 19:29:48 -0500, "MaryL"
> wrote:

>wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:52:28 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:
>

>>I've tried the vortex method and it's nothing like as easy as the shows
>>make it :-(

>Try bringing the water to the boil, turning back to very gentle
>simmer, carefully put the egg into the water from a small cup or
>similar so it can be tipped in very gently, turn heat off, put lid on
>pan and leave until set as you like it. Works every time, I found
>the whirlpool method too messy.
>
>Cooking them in plastic is not really poaching them, to poach they
>have to contact the water. BTW I don't put vinegar in the water, not
>needed and adds a flavour I don't particularly want.
>
>~~~~~~~
>You're right about the vinegar. It really isn't needed, and I have done it
>both ways. The only advantage of white vinegar is to add some "brightness"
>to the egg whites. It only takes a small amount, so that should not add
>flavor to the water.
>
>I use the vortex method, although a gentle swirl is enough. Like you, I
>tip
>the egg very gently into the water from a small bowl or cup (one egg at a
>time). I haven't tried turning the heat off, but I may try that next time.
>I just watch carefully, and I have had good results every time.
>
>MaryL

I like the yolks to be runny, so I find around 4-5 minutes is okay,
depending a bit on the size of the eggs. I usually use the extra
large ones.

~~~~~~~~
Thanks! I also like the yolks to be runny but not the whites. I'll try
your method.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 01:22:54 -0700 (PDT), Cherry >
wrote:

> A rondo is a large wide saucepan.

Thanks. I've never heard that term. The fanciest one I have is a
Windsor pan, but I use my All Clad 6 qt saute pan. It's plenty deep
and wide enough to poach multiple eggs.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > A rondo is a large wide saucepan.

Thanks. I've never heard that term. The fanciest one I have is a Windsor pan, but I use my All Clad 6 qt saute pan. It's plenty deep and wide enough to poach multiple eggs.

> Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Your welcome.

Cherry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 25, 2014 12:31:33 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:

> I have poached eggs often, I use vinegar in the water and have never tasted
> it at all. Bring the water to a boil, drop it to simmer, slide the eggs in
> from a saucer, and simmer with cover for 41/2 minutes which is perfect for
> me, whites done, yolks soft.
>
> Cheri

If you can't taste the vinegar at all why add it? Is there another reason?

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Monday, August 25, 2014 12:31:33 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> I have poached eggs often, I use vinegar in the water and have never
>> tasted
>> it at all. Bring the water to a boil, drop it to simmer, slide the eggs
>> in
>> from a saucer, and simmer with cover for 41/2 minutes which is perfect
>> for
>> me, whites done, yolks soft.
>>
>> Cheri

> If you can't taste the vinegar at all why add it? Is there another
> reason?

to better coagulate the whites.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2014 2:55 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Monday, August 25, 2014 12:31:33 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> I have poached eggs often, I use vinegar in the water and have never tasted
>> it at all. Bring the water to a boil, drop it to simmer, slide the eggs in
>> from a saucer, and simmer with cover for 41/2 minutes which is perfect for
>> me, whites done, yolks soft.
>>
>> Cheri

> If you can't taste the vinegar at all why add it? Is there another reason?

The vinegar, iirc, forms a barrier between the eggs allowing them to
poach without becoming a single gloppy mass. The water should be set in
a circular motion with a spoon before the eggs are dropped.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2014 3:37 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Helpful person" > wrote in message
>> On Monday, August 25, 2014 12:31:33 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> I have poached eggs often, I use vinegar in the water and have never
>>> tasted
>>> it at all. Bring the water to a boil, drop it to simmer, slide the eggs
>>> in
>>> from a saucer, and simmer with cover for 41/2 minutes which is perfect
>>> for
>>> me, whites done, yolks soft.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> If you can't taste the vinegar at all why add it? Is there another
>> reason?
>>

> to better coagulate the whites.

Thereby keeping them discrete, not run into one. Stirring the water
helps as they are dropped to keep them apart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Monday, August 25, 2014 12:31:33 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> I have poached eggs often, I use vinegar in the water and have never
>> tasted
>> it at all. Bring the water to a boil, drop it to simmer, slide the eggs
>> in
>> from a saucer, and simmer with cover for 41/2 minutes which is perfect
>> for
>> me, whites done, yolks soft.
>>
>> Cheri

> If you can't taste the vinegar at all why add it? Is there another
> reason?
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

I think it helps to keep the egg together. I have tried it without, but the
egg whites seem to *scatter* that way.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "Helpful person" > wrote in message
>> On Monday, August 25, 2014 12:31:33 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> I have poached eggs often, I use vinegar in the water and have never
>>> tasted
>>> it at all. Bring the water to a boil, drop it to simmer, slide the eggs
>>> in
>>> from a saucer, and simmer with cover for 41/2 minutes which is perfect
>>> for
>>> me, whites done, yolks soft.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> If you can't taste the vinegar at all why add it? Is there another
>> reason?
>>

> to better coagulate the whites.

TY, that's the word I was looking for.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> On 8/26/2014 3:37 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

>>> If you can't taste the vinegar at all why add it? Is there another
>>> reason?
>>>

>> to better coagulate the whites.
>>

> Thereby keeping them discrete, not run into one. Stirring the water helps
> as they are dropped to keep them apart.

I haven't found a need to stir the water when I slide them off a saucer into
simmering water.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> On 8/26/2014 2:55 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>> On Monday, August 25, 2014 12:31:33 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> I have poached eggs often, I use vinegar in the water and have never
>>> tasted
>>> it at all. Bring the water to a boil, drop it to simmer, slide the eggs
>>> in
>>> from a saucer, and simmer with cover for 41/2 minutes which is perfect
>>> for
>>> me, whites done, yolks soft.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> If you can't taste the vinegar at all why add it? Is there another
>> reason?
>>

> The vinegar, iirc, forms a barrier between the eggs allowing them to poach
> without becoming a single gloppy mass. The water should be set in a
> circular motion with a spoon before the eggs are dropped.

Nah, mine always turn out great, no stirring of water. I do mine in a deeper
type 8 inch skillet.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2014 4:39 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...

>>> to better coagulate the whites.
>>>

>> Thereby keeping them discrete, not run into one. Stirring the water
>> helps as they are dropped to keep them apart.

> I haven't found a need to stir the water when I slide them off a saucer
> into simmering water.
>
> Cheri

It's another ATK technique, works nicely too if you have several or more
to do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mayo" > wrote in message ...
> On 8/26/2014 4:39 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Thereby keeping them discrete, not run into one. Stirring the water
>>> helps as they are dropped to keep them apart.

>> I haven't found a need to stir the water when I slide them off a saucer
>> into simmering water.
>>
>> Cheri

> It's another ATK technique, works nicely too if you have several or more
> to do.

stirring the water when poaching eggs is an "ATK technique"? I think it has
been around for centuries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2014 6:02 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Mayo" > wrote in message ...

>>> I haven't found a need to stir the water when I slide them off a saucer
>>> into simmering water.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> It's another ATK technique, works nicely too if you have several or more
>> to do.

> stirring the water when poaching eggs is an "ATK technique"? I think it has
> been around for centuries.

I just ran into it there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you can't taste the vinegar at all why add it? Is there another

> > reason?

> to better coagulate the whites.

I also like prefer the flavour of malt vinegar with the eggs.

Cherry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 13:55:19 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> > wrote:
>
>>On Monday, August 25, 2014 12:31:33 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> I have poached eggs often, I use vinegar in the water and have never
>>> tasted
>>> it at all. Bring the water to a boil, drop it to simmer, slide the eggs
>>> in
>>> from a saucer, and simmer with cover for 41/2 minutes which is perfect
>>> for
>>> me, whites done, yolks soft.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>>If you can't taste the vinegar at all why add it? Is there another
>>reason?
>>
>>http://www.richardfisher.com

> None that I have found.

They stay together better and look nicer too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 13:55:19 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person
> > wrote:
>
>>On Monday, August 25, 2014 12:31:33 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> I have poached eggs often, I use vinegar in the water and have never
>>> tasted
>>> it at all. Bring the water to a boil, drop it to simmer, slide the eggs
>>> in
>>> from a saucer, and simmer with cover for 41/2 minutes which is perfect
>>> for
>>> me, whites done, yolks soft.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>>If you can't taste the vinegar at all why add it? Is there another
>>reason?
>>
>>http://www.richardfisher.com

> None that I have found.

then you haven't looked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 06:05:28 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 13:55:19 -0700 (PDT), Helpful person

>>> None that I have found.

>>then you haven't looked.
>>

> With my method the eggs look fine, just the way poached eggs should
> look. I'm not about to try something new after all these years, my
> way works for me, hope your way works for you.

that is a different story.